Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's what Ho said. If you have contact, do some random diplo thing with them to get the AI to reseed its actions and do something that doesn't cause a crash. If you don't, restart.

Good news is that this seems to be pretty rare and also only seems to happen in the first twenty or so turns of a game.

I restarted and it happened to me again on like turn 5 with another faction far away from me. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
What are people’s mid to late game Khalida stacks look like? I’m usually rocking out with 7-8 archers, Khalida, lich priest, necrotect, and assorted ushtabi and snakes. I haven’t built any tier 4 units yet though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wasn't this patch supposed to a) weaken dwarfs b) make people respect climate more? Clan Angrund is eating half the empire and I don't wanna backstab them

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Its Rinaldo posted:

I’m so glad they added Vlad so I don’t have to play Boring Von Carstein

"We surpass nagash!" Yeah ok buddy :jerkbag:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I know people said don't waste money on hero actions, but they benefit from steal technology more than anyone else, and the sooner you unlock dynasties the sooner you get more armies which is when they really start to take off since you pay no recruitment or upkeep.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I know people said don't waste money on hero actions, but they benefit from steal technology more than anyone else, and the sooner you unlock dynasties the sooner you get more armies which is when they really start to take off since you pay no recruitment or upkeep.

Yeah, I think they are the special exception for steal tech.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Fighting undead armies is such a nightmare. Somehow these muthafuckin Von Carsteins have a never ending supply of RoRs and their tendency to build armies with 4 heroes backed by 3000 other units means every fight is a pyrrhic victory slugfest. I've fully committed to just pinning them with infantry and danger close bombing the gently caress out them.

At least I'll never get tired of watching arty splash down on hordes of enemies (who then get back up as eat swordsmen face)

gently caress grave guard

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Speaking of undead, if I was going to make a dedicated anti-VC army with flagellant core, what should I make the hammer?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Empire has the tools to poo poo all over VC but you need the right heroes. Hinder replenishment is an ability that doesn't get used very often but if you think about it, you can effectively kill 300 zombies in your next battle, for free, with hinder replenishment. Witch Hunters can help you take down the vampire and cause crumbling. Light wizards can screw up the VC game plane and do a lot of damage or give decent buffs to your front line. You get a bunch of anti-monster units in tier 2. Grave Guard are annoying though. Maybe take more handgunners and greatswords than you would against a chaff and monsters list.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

Or maybe instead of perfect vigor, that one healing passive from lore of nehekhara could give -fatigue. That's a trivial thing to mod (and while I'm on this topic, can anyone tell me which data.pak subdirectory governs the size of aura radii?)

Not sure if you've found it or someone else answered, but effect ranges for abilities are in unit_special_abilities. 0 is self only, -1 is mapwide. Don't get it confused with unit_abilities, they're for very different things. Vigour restoration is in special_ability_phases, if you don't already know.

There are so many near-identical file names and I always click on the wrong ones first.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

StashAugustine posted:

Wasn't this patch supposed to a) weaken dwarfs b) make people respect climate more? Clan Angrund is eating half the empire and I don't wanna backstab them

In my new game orcs have destroyed most of the dwarfs and have started conquering the empire. As Vlad I'll end up helping the humans out if I want to expand since I'm completely surrounded by the green tide.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What tomb king hero has steal tech? every hero I've tried just shows damage buildings.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm sad I left my Rise of Nagash book at my buddies house.

There is a lot of good flim flam I want to mod into this game once I get it :c

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Empire has the tools to poo poo all over VC but you need the right heroes. Hinder replenishment is an ability that doesn't get used very often but if you think about it, you can effectively kill 300 zombies in your next battle, for free, with hinder replenishment. Witch Hunters can help you take down the vampire and cause crumbling. Light wizards can screw up the VC game plane and do a lot of damage or give decent buffs to your front line. You get a bunch of anti-monster units in tier 2. Grave Guard are annoying though. Maybe take more handgunners and greatswords than you would against a chaff and monsters list.

Is it me or is this post batshit insane

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

Handgunners are still great against monsters when you're in a tight spot. If they get an angle on a vampire they'll seriously hurt it as well.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

Is it me or is this post batshit insane

It’s hard to read, but the advice is coherent I think?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah, handgunners put massive hurt on whatever they are shooting so they can still be decisive, but you'll want to mix them with crossbows in TW2. Crossbowmen can be group-ordered to shoot at whatever and they'll do a competent job at it, whereas handgunners are something you might just want one of per stack and then micro them carefully to do massive damage.

Greatswords are a pretty key unit for fighting VC since they are very cost effective at killing even Grave Guard, assuming their morale holds up. Other options are rear-charges from shock cav to break the GG's morale and cause them to crumble, and mortars. Lesser-known fact about mortars is that you can use the "fire ground" command to pinpoint close range shots into the middle on blobs of engaged enemies and this works great against VC. Flagellants are characterful but I'd say they are a bad choice generally unless they are flanking. Their low melee defence and armour allows VC infantry to chew through them at a fast pace. Both morale and melee defence skill are key attributes for line holding, so I'd use Flagellants as a substitute for knights rather than as a substitute for line infantry.

Grave Guard aren't actually the major threat, they will slowly chew through your infantry but it will take them a while. The biggest issue is morale shocks causing mass routs, and this tends to happen when damage dealing units like Crypt Horrors or Vargeists smash parts of your infantry line, or if you get rear charged by dire doggos. Kill the line-breakers and disruption units first.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bring light wizards and witch hunters. You get halberdiers and cannons and knights around your second round of upgrades and they are good anti-monster units. Against grave guard, you need to invest more in better state troops, because your heroes and artillery will be too busy dealing with monsters to help out your swordsmen.

Also, consider using hero actions to thin out their armies the turn before you fight. Even rarely-used actions like hinder replenishment can eliminate a lot of chaff before the battle starts.

There was that more coherent

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

KazigluBey posted:

What's the deal with the sometimes MASSIVE discrepancy between the chance-to-win bar before and after you load into a battle? I've noticed in my Khalida run (real early so single army vs single army) that pre-battle it might display a near 50/50 split (so I could easily lose an auto-fight and even if I win I'll get savaged) and then as soon as we load into the map the bar at the top is now more like 80/20 or 90/10 odds (which I sweep). Is pre-battle not accounting for buffs or veteran status or something else?

pre-battle and in-game are 2 different things.

to summarise the quotes I have in the OP, autoresolve works as follows:
-all archers fire all their ammo, hitting enemy melee units first - this was why levy infantry were so powerful in shogun 2, and arty is so powerful now. This is also why if you go an archer-heavy army your lone melee units will get murdered horribly because they're tanking the entire enemy force
-second most powerful bonus is high health and charge bonuses.
-the rest works in bits and pieces, which is generally much closer to an actual battle because it's rolling combat dice against people.

also, I'm considering changing the thread title again for the tet anniversary, but am lacking on ideas, besides Total War: Warhammer 2 - Teclis no fortunate son

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Arglebargle III posted:

Bring light wizards and witch hunters. You get halberdiers and cannons and knights around your second round of upgrades and they are good anti-monster units. Against grave guard, you need to invest more in better state troops, because your heroes and artillery will be too busy dealing with monsters to help out your swordsmen.

Also, consider using hero actions to thin out their armies the turn before you fight. Even rarely-used actions like hinder replenishment can eliminate a lot of chaff before the battle starts.

There was that more coherent

Instructions unclear - Bright Wizard stuck in Vampire fight

(Nothing Argle is saying is incorrect and I don't understand why people are having difficulty parsing his advice)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok so in ME, the black pyramid is almost directly south of Khemri, and in Vortex, it's almost directly west. lol

frogs keep changing land mass yo

racist frogs

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh playing Tomb Kings kinda teaches self restraint and to always remember that win or lose you will always have more casulties.. I got carried away chasing defeated orcs, won all 3 battles and the last victory was 598 men entered battle, 595 died. 3 survived to celebrate. They were a king, necrotect and liche priest.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

You guys weren't kidding, Khalida's ME start is HARSH. You basically have to siege down Lahmia because the garrison alone will gently caress your skelly mans up, and your starter units just aren't strong enough to deal with anything the Silver Host can field.

And then you're facing off against Dwarves and Lizards. It's basically just a poo poo sandwich of a start. Once you get those first few dozen turns out of the way, have consolidated your holdings, and eliminated your local rivals it picks up... but god drat those first few dozen turns are hell.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Khatep's ME start is all about making the best of unpleasant land.

That or asap sailing back home to the desert.

How is Settra's Chariot of the Gods compared to just riding his sphinx? both are anti-infantry.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Nash posted:

What are people’s mid to late game Khalida stacks look like? I’m usually rocking out with 7-8 archers, Khalida, lich priest, necrotect, and assorted ushtabi and snakes. I haven’t built any tier 4 units yet though.

I ran with a command squad of a, a necrotect, a liche priest and some form of artillery or counter-artillery such as carrion, a light ranged section of 4 skeleton archers, a heavy cavalry group consisting of two of each sphinx, heavy ranged group consisting of greatbow ubshati and depending on whether it's meant to siege anything or not, a final heavy infantry block of ubshati or some tomb guard solely for climbing on walls

Khalida's personal stack at the very end(after merging my entire allowance of super units into it) was herself, a necrotect, 10 greatbow ushabti and 4 of each type of sphinx to intercept the like 5 dudes that lived through two volleys of the archer doom blob, could have probably gone with 14 ushabti and 4 sphinx variants to the same effect and less strain on my big cat supply.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Asehujiko posted:

I ran with a command squad of a, a necrotect, a liche priest and some form of artillery or counter-artillery such as carrion, a light ranged section of 4 skeleton archers, a heavy cavalry group consisting of two of each sphinx, heavy ranged group consisting of greatbow ubshati and depending on whether it's meant to siege anything or not, a final heavy infantry block of ubshati or some tomb guard solely for climbing on walls

Khalida's personal stack at the very end(after merging my entire allowance of super units into it) was herself, a necrotect, 10 greatbow ushabti and 4 of each type of sphinx to intercept the like 5 dudes that lived through two volleys of the archer doom blob, could have probably gone with 14 ushabti and 4 sphinx variants to the same effect and less strain on my big cat supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXO7qAbQSLs&t=134s

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Still finding seige AI very annoying. Trying to defend a lvl 2 TK city against a small DE stack, my archers refuse to shoot them as they come onto the walls. Bad enough that they're getting shot apart by DE artillery, the archers just run towards the enemy irrespective of range. Might be able to put up a decent fight but for that.

I'm not finding Khateps TKs at least are much fun. Dark elves are a nonsense of course but the need to cover three fronts with two stacks at the beginning is frustrating. TK base units are pretty useless and I don't see the money for good ones coming in any time soon.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I'm in need of some TK vs TK protips because tomb swarm is seriously loving me up

BTW, given unit caps for them, how you guys are building your provinces?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Still finding seige AI very annoying. Trying to defend a lvl 2 TK city against a small DE stack, my archers refuse to shoot them as they come onto the walls. Bad enough that they're getting shot apart by DE artillery, the archers just run towards the enemy irrespective of range. Might be able to put up a decent fight but for that.

I'm not finding Khateps TKs at least are much fun. Dark elves are a nonsense of course but the need to cover three fronts with two stacks at the beginning is frustrating. TK base units are pretty useless and I don't see the money for good ones coming in any time soon.

It's a tough start, but if you sit back for a bit after conquering your home province, make NAPs with the DEs to the North, and don't piss of Momrathi too early it's not too bad. You just have to defend Titan's Peak against the red Dark Elves, and fighting them makes Cult of Pleasure like you. Being able to settle the ruins in your province at level 3 is a huge boon, as well. Getting an early Ushabti unit makes a big difference.

TK chariots take DE infantry apart and the Hierotitan is nice for tying up units so you can drop your bound vortex spell on them.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Tretch is way too much fun, but it would have been more fun if he started in Crookback or in the Badlands bowl. I'd much rather fight Dwarfs and Greenskins than DE.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'm really surprised how well my tomb king armies did against the dwarves in not-africa. Even longbeards and such. The dwarf archers were definitely the most dangerous unit, the rest I just sort of chewed through and routed. My warsphinx did a lot of heavy lifting, of course, but even in a seige I just overwhelmed them with skelly boys.

In fact other tomb kings are easily the most difficult armies for me to face, just because they don't rout.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The faction unlocker is borked right now and I really want to play as dwarves in not africa on the vortex map.

I am sad that dwarves in not south america don't get cannons or gunpowder due to lore.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gonkish posted:

You guys weren't kidding, Khalida's ME start is HARSH. You basically have to siege down Lahmia because the garrison alone will gently caress your skelly mans up, and your starter units just aren't strong enough to deal with anything the Silver Host can field.

And then you're facing off against Dwarves and Lizards. It's basically just a poo poo sandwich of a start. Once you get those first few dozen turns out of the way, have consolidated your holdings, and eliminated your local rivals it picks up... but god drat those first few dozen turns are hell.

Take the province to your left on turn 3 first, then build to full stack then attack the enemy Lord if it leaves Lahmia or just siege it and let them attack you in the field. Micro your chariots well, raze Lahmia to the ground and head south to finish off the Silver Covenant. Save 4k gold after building your Warrior and Chariot buildings do you can use the Rite to make a fat city on Lahmia's ruins.

E: also keep an eye on home province public order

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
don't use a mod that removes AI public order cheats as TK unless you want every vampire-held pyramid turning into a T5 stack doom fortress of contructs by turn 10

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Take the province to your left on turn 3 first, then build to full stack then attack the enemy Lord if it leaves Lahmia or just siege it and let them attack you in the field. Micro your chariots well, raze Lahmia to the ground and head south to finish off the Silver Covenant. Save 4k gold after building your Warrior and Chariot buildings do you can use the Rite to make a fat city on Lahmia's ruins.

E: also keep an eye on home province public order

Uuh if you can successfully win against Lahmia's garrison why would you raze it? Just hold it and rebuild your army, its way better than keeping Lybaras as its a special capital with 10 slots.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gejnor posted:

Uuh if you can successfully win against Lahmia's garrison why would you raze it? Just hold it and rebuild your army, its way better than keeping Lybaras as its a special capital with 10 slots.

Because using a Necrotec to resettle it will automatically boost it to level 3.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

Because using a Necrotec to resettle it will automatically boost it to level 3.

.....so? If you've succeeded in taking the damned place its way more worth keeping it at a tier 1-2 level than razing it, gathering the money for a necrotect and then rezzing it again what in the world kind of backwards logic is this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is a really weird idea to spend 3K to get an instant tier 3 town early in the game when you could just not on a money starved team.

Or is it 4K

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Third World Reggin posted:

It is a really weird idea to spend 3K to get an instant tier 3 town early in the game when you could just not on a money starved team.

Or is it 4K

4k, I believe. I used it for the first time last night, it's cool but that is a lot of money. Also wish I could just target a ruin and have the dude appear there, rather than have to walk him there all the way from my capital. Minor gripe.

Settra rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah the "Spawn special hero" rituals really suffer from that, it would be better if you could pick a province/provincial capital, or even if it was always the LL army and not the Capital. As it is now, if I want to use one i have walk him all the way from Lybaras to The Silver Road to get some use out of him.

That's alot of walking.