Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lt_Tofu posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'm glad of the company down here in the muck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Reverse The loving Hearse
Jan 28th 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=2507s
@ 41:48

Chris Roberts:
There's THOUSANDS of tasks and the information is OVERWHELMING.

So we sort of show the very HIGH LEVEL, ah, you know, what we would call an EPIC, ah, or in some cases sort of a SAGA which is overwhelming... over... quite a few EPICS... I know they... always thought of it... EPICS, SAGAS, STORIES... TASKS!

Ah, but... um... ah, so... so... so... so... so... so we... we... we ex... we EXPOSE those and we mark which ones are public facing, ah we WANTED to get the ROADMAP in people's hands which is why we went LIVE with it here... but they still have, ah... ORGANISATION work to do because they gotta take the way JIRA was set up BEFORE, some of it's been done, not all of it's been done, so they have to change it around because the... they gotta organise under the right EPICS and everything

So in the case where they don't feel COMFORTABLE that they don't have it organised properly and it's DUPICATE TASKS cos you know sometimes there were tasks set up from BEFORE but now we're setting it up on this new one, so in those cases they just choose not to show that epic publically until they have it... ah... in SHAPE, ah, so you'll see that ROADMAP, ehm... we'll get more THINGS added to it... ah, of course things also will... MOVE AROUND a little bit as... maybe a bit more information comes to light or how it's going

But that's the BEAUTY of it, it's gonna be A HUNDRED PERCENT LIVE reflection of the tool that we use to manage all the teams and we're using exactly the same process on Squadron 42 which is gonna get me to the end... to... the ANSWER... the original question which is, 'are you gonna get there to a roadmap like that', and... YES... ha! And YES, we... we will... ah... eh... we will... ah, if you look on the side there's a Star Citizen logo, there will be a Squadron 42 logo... you'll get the ROADMAP

So once we have the Squadron 42... ah... TASKS and EPICS all cleaned up and ready to go... we uh... then we'll also TURN THAT ON and share it

It may not be done on a QUARTERLY it may be done on a MONTHLY I'm not quite SURE

We're still discussing, ah, um, kind of a COLUMN FORMAT for it, ah... but it will, again, SCRUB LIVE from all the... the TASKS that we have, ah, and EPICS and SAGAS that we have entered, ahm, for finishing out Squadron 42

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
In October 2017 they announced that a roadmap of SQ42 would be made public to backers in December 2017.
No roadmap was published.
In January 2018 Chris Roberts gives a reason for this - that they are restructuring their JIRA system and moving to AGILE development - but ONLY after the question was raised in a Q&A.

Just want to make sure everyone is following along.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Jared keep giving him rope, you are doing an AWESOME job.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
In case you missed it:

RSI Website November 2016:
"NETWORK – BIND CULLING (ORIGINAL ESTIMATE 23RD NOVEMBER 2016, PUSHED TO 2.6.1)
Due to other network stability bugfixing and support, we were not able to make enough satisfactory progress to include this with 2.6.0."

RSI Schedule 2018:
Network Bind Culling 1/10 tasks complete

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tasks are probably things like:

1) Figure out how to make things faster.
2) Explore increasing speed of light.
10) Profit.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomethingJones posted:

In case you missed it:

RSI Website November 2016:
"NETWORK – BIND CULLING (ORIGINAL ESTIMATE 23RD NOVEMBER 2016, PUSHED TO 2.6.1)
Due to other network stability bugfixing and support, we were not able to make enough satisfactory progress to include this with 2.6.0."

RSI Schedule 2018:
Network Bind Culling 1/10 tasks complete
SO YOU CONCEDE PROGRESS IS BEING MADE, THAN?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!1?!1111

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Jan 28th 2018

Chris Roberts:

So we sort of show the very HIGH LEVEL, ah, you know, what we would call an EPIC, ah, or in some cases sort of a SAGA which is overwhelming... over... quite a few EPICS... I know they... always thought of it... EPICS, SAGAS, STORIES... TASKS!

Ah, but... um... ah, so... so... so... so... so... so we... we... we ex... we EXPOSE those and we mark which ones are public facing, ah we WANTED to get the ROADMAP in people's hands which is why we went LIVE with it here... but they still have, ah... ORGANISATION work to do because they gotta take the way JIRA was set up BEFORE, some of it's been done, not all of it's been done, so they have to change it around because the... they gotta organise under the right EPICS and everything

So in the case where they don't feel COMFORTABLE that they don't have it organised properly and it's DUPICATE TASKS cos you know sometimes there were tasks set up from BEFORE but now we're setting it up on this new one, so in those cases they just choose not to show that epic publically until they have it... ah... in SHAPE, ah, so you'll see that ROADMAP, ehm... we'll get more THINGS added to it... ah, of course things also will... MOVE AROUND a little bit as... maybe a bit more information comes to light or how it's going

But that's the BEAUTY of it, it's gonna be A HUNDRED PERCENT LIVE reflection of the tool that we use to manage all the teams and we're using exactly the same process on Squadron 42 which is gonna get me to the end... to... the ANSWER... the original question which is, 'are you gonna get there to a roadmap like that', and... YES... ha! And YES, we... we will... ah... eh... we will... ah, if you look on the side there's a Star Citizen logo, there will be a Squadron 42 logo... you'll get the ROADMAP

So once we have the Squadron 42... ah... TASKS and EPICS all cleaned up and ready to go... we uh... then we'll also TURN THAT ON and share it

It may not be done on a QUARTERLY it may be done on a MONTHLY I'm not quite SURE

We're still discussing, ah, um, kind of a COLUMN FORMAT for it, ah... but it will, again, SCRUB LIVE from all the... the TASKS that we have, ah, and EPICS and SAGAS that we have entered, ahm, for finishing out Squadron 42

Ok as someone who's been a game producer for about a week this made me shake uncontrollably

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

The first task was to decide to work on it.

It would break everything.

The answer was no.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Moxxis Endowment posted:

SO YOU CONCEDE PROGRESS IS BEING MADE, THAN?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!1?!1111

Well the 1/10 task was advertising for a network tech so yes

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So if the SQ42 roadmap doesn't appear that means they haven't gotten their SAGAS and TASKS "cleaned up and ready to go", haven't gotten it organised "under the right EPICS" and haven't decided whether to use a "COLUMN FORMAT" or whether to do it monthly or quarterly.

So when it still hasn't arrived at the end of February the question will be 'why have you not been able to reorganise your JIRA for SQ42 after more than 2 months?'

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I for one look forward to the bionicle quiz :toot: but I'll probably not be able to answer it very well as that page will probably be when I'm at work.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

So if the SQ42 roadmap doesn't appear that means they haven't gotten their SAGAS and TASKS "cleaned up and ready to go", haven't gotten it organised "under the right EPICS" and haven't decided whether to use a "COLUMN FORMAT" or whether to do it monthly or quarterly.

So when it still hasn't arrived at the end of February the question will be 'why have you not been able to reorganise your JIRA for SQ42 after more than 2 months?'

At this rate by June they'll be ready to start working on concept art for some ships. By December they'll be ready to start thinking about what to call the game. By June 2019 Chris will wake up next to Sandi and the pool boy and say "Hey honey, I think I have an idea for a space game."

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

I actually just looked at the pictures. I hope that's okay

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

The trick to reading Derek's articles is to skip to the final 2 paragraphs.

:aahhhhhh:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=849s
even i can tell what problem CR has with woman mocap data.

female skeleton.
-the pelvic bones are shorter and more rounded, and the surrounding bones (tailbone, remaining hip bones, etc.)
-also generally have shorter, thinner bones in the arms, legs and fingers.

both of those would affect the mocap data. You cant use female mocap data on male skeleton rig.

solutions:
-do 2 rigs. that would be easiest option. (more work)
-reduce rig fidelity less bones easier it is to rig.( less fidelity)
-ditch mocap data do things by hand. (more work)
- make model similar to each others by adding armor plating, etc... (this would make casual outfits almost impossible)

You're not wrong, but it's not that much of a problem. You just need to make adjustments for any differences, and I'm pretty sure there's software solutions that smooth those out: the more recent editions of Poser for example can do this in real-time. And even with no adjustments, it's not that perceptible: for example, DIY pro-am mocap is apparently a common source for animations in Second Life, where you can feel free to use animations pulled from a real male or female model and use them for any proportioned avatar you want. Sometimes it's real obvious, usually with hyperexaggerated figures, but most of the time it's not.

But yeah, some hobbyist mocapper probably has a better handle on things than Roberts does.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The gradual walking back of promised features and gameplay continues:

Phew. All those ships bought with real money are a lot safer now. Pay2Win hype!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

There's people on reddit arguing that this doesn't mean you won't be able to keep stolen ships right now :psypop:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Persistent, for certain values of persistent.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I for one look forward to the bionicle quiz :toot: but I'll probably not be able to answer it very well as that page will probably be when I'm at work.

Who would win in a fight? Mata or Nui?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon posted:

lol that dude is like peak Star Citizen

I just want to highlight that post, which is about a literal original Nazi who has been convicted multiple times for denying the Holocaust and inciting racial hatred and handed out pamphlets saying the Nazis did nothing wrong at her trial for breaking German "wow holy poo poo the Nazis did so much wrong we don't want that ever happening again" laws.

She has also never served jail time for it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

There's people on reddit arguing that this doesn't mean you won't be able to keep stolen ships right now :psypop:

I'm pretty sure CIG is more stressed out about keeping stolen money.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Actually I feel sorry for the Devs now. You should be able to make more tasks and stories while you are developing like "Fix X cause we changed Y." But I bet now they can't since it is all public. Sounds horrible to me.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dusty Lens posted:

Who would win in a fight? Mata or Nui?

Mata Nui was one person :colbert: miss me with that trolling bullshit

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

his nibs posted:

I actually just looked at the pictures. I hope that's okay

I read every word, twice.

Has anyone asked Chris how VR is going to work with the face recognition poo poo yet?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

probably Ortwin posted:

The opposition underscores that the FAC, like its predecessor, cannot support a responsible proceeding before the Court. Crytek seeks to escape from Rule 12 by arguing breaches of provisions (e.g., GLA ¶ 2.4) never alleged breached in the FAC. It contrives that the GLA does not grant CIG an exclusive right to use the Engine in the Game but rather crams upon CIG a mandatory duty to use the Engine when the plain language of the GLA, and every common sense notion of exclusive licensing, says otherwise. Crytek refuses to acknowledge clear contract language that the collective definition of “Game” is a “game” (Star Citizen) and a “related game” (Squadron 42). It tries to save its single defective theory of copyright infringement alleged in the FAC (use of the Engine in Squadron 42) by arguing other matters never alleged to be copyright infringements in the FAC or its predecessor (using Engine code in the Bugsmashers videos and granting Faceware access to the Engine code).

This is a bit nobody's excerpted yet, and I love it because it's such badly written English, and it's the first paragraph of the new document. You know, the one you want to make sure sets a good tone for the rest. I know that legalese often departs from standard usage, but I'm pretty sure any decent lawyer working in the US would be embarrassed to file a document which starts with such a confused, badly written sentence, and continues with the awful phrase "crams upon CIG a mandatory duty".

Also, I'd appreciate a comment from any lawgoons. My understanding is that at this stage in a lawsuit, the sides are still establishing which issues will actually be debated during the trial, if any. It isn't until later that things become more locked down and it's severely frowned upon to try to introduce new lines of argument. If I'm not entirely out to sea, it seems absurd that OrtwinFKKS is trying to be so righteously angry about the FAC doing that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

The amount of theory crafting and people talking about griefers stealing their chariots is off the charts in that thread.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

BobHoward posted:

Persistent, for certain non-persistant values of persistent.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

Didn't Derek say he was going to post another blog soon what's up with that did the guy fail to come through or what I've been just sitting here hitting refresh.

Your dedication is admirable. I hope Derek will grace your fervent anticipation with many pages of words that meet your blog expectations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

Thank you friend! :hfive:

I like this because it looks like somebody has finally sat him down and told him about project management 101 and he’s discovered stuff like Jira.

I have a feeling it may be too late for that, but hey, apparently they have infinite time and money so it’s never too late to start trying manage your out of control and on fire project.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Tasks are probably things like:

1) Figure out how to make things faster.
2) Explore increasing speed of light.
10) Profit.

1: Make networking mesh like i want
2: do it again
3: do it until 10,000 people can play my twitch shooter together with massive fleet battles with tv ships live streaming to YouTube and face over ip works and I can do it over my ship comm to another ship while also taking a dump in my space toilet while outside NPCs are fighting over which virtual but full length movie they want to watch while another player is mixing a drink and the shadow of our ship hovers over players on the ground having a war in a tunnel created by a passing sandworm and the lands defense mechanism is automatically seeing them and calling the space police to come and start fighting them all while the situation is being broadcast to the landowners ship somewhere else so it’s piped into his mobi glass thing and I want all this at 80 FPS and it’s also VR enabled because you guys do that part too I think
4: refactor all of 3 because I just changed the skeleton
5: redo 3 because I want the AI to see and smell and react to people dynamically
6: I want the AI over network to be indistinguishable from human players
7: I just had an awesome dream from this cocaine so we’re restarting at 1 again today but this is 3 years into 1-6 so I’m planning for it now on the roadmap
8: hey hey, demo coming so I need all you dumb fuckers to stop everything and work on this cool space station that’s full of Giger Aliens for my awesome idea demo I just had, we’ll finish up networking in a few months after citcon but I need this loving demo
9: the demo was loving poo poo and everybody laughed at me and it’s your fault
10: alright let’s look at this again we need to get over 6 players in an instance at 14 FPS so we’re going to start at 1 again and this time I don’t care if you have a paper due for your college classes you fuckers will get this poo poo right or I’ll destroy your career before it begins and I swear if you gently caress ups can’t build this “network mesh” that I came up with you’re all fired. These ideas will make it happen but you need to try harder if you want to be on my team I have no time for your excuses and your ignorance

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

The spin, as always, is funny.

The train of thought you need to follow is that any hypothetical situation where this rule would be bad is impossible and any hypothetical situation where this rule would be good is a certainty. No matter how contradictory.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: On Today’s Relay, Erris does the math...

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

his nibs posted:

"The opposition rambles over ground not set forth clearly or at all in the FAC. By repeatedly attempting to justify getting waved through Rule 12 by arguing phantom allegations, by proffering absurd interpretations of now-revealed plain contract language, by asserting ever-shifting claims for copyright infringement without identifying the allegedly infringing works, and by seeking remedies that are palpably improper under black letter law (e.g., punitive damages for breach of contract and statutory damages for pre-registration infringement), the opposition demonstrates that both efforts at pleading in this case have been an unmanageable, incoherent mess unworthy of proceeding beyond the pleading stage and all of the attendant time and expense thereafter.

The Court should straighten that mess by granting the motion"

Brilliant tactical move making it look like Derek wrote this, IMHO.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

Someone make the car red

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Mata Nui was one person :colbert: miss me with that trolling bullshit

Oh poo poo you know your Mata from your Nui.

How many Vahki were stationed on Mertu Nui at its height?

One freebie before we hit rock bottom on 3609 and I get perma banned.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Erris:
Everyone will have noticed that playable female characters are not scheduled until Q4 - the END of Q4

That on its own is BAD but what that means in the larger scheme of things... female characters are required for Squadron 42

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Erris:
Everyone will have noticed that playable female characters are not scheduled until Q4 - the END of Q4

That on its own is BAD but what that means in the larger scheme of things... female characters are required for Squadron 42

I get what you're going for but I love the hesitant calling that maybe, just maybe, Squadron 42 might miss 2018.

Maybe.

Juuuust maybe.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SomethingJones posted:

Jan 28th 2018

Chris Roberts:

I wouldn't let this guy mow my lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=849s
even i can tell what problem CR has with woman mocap data.

female skeleton.
-the pelvic bones are shorter and more rounded, and the surrounding bones (tailbone, remaining hip bones, etc.)
-also generally have shorter, thinner bones in the arms, legs and fingers.

both of those would affect the mocap data. You cant use female mocap data on male skeleton rig.

solutions:
-do 2 rigs. that would be easiest option. (more work)
-reduce rig fidelity less bones easier it is to rig.( less fidelity)
-ditch mocap data do things by hand. (more work)
- make model similar to each others by adding armor plating, etc... (this would make casual outfits almost impossible)

Actually, recent advances suggest you can. There was interesting GDC talk regarding the Assassin Creed games and animation tech going into them.