Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Shits teetering. Clear the board of these lovely cryptos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

You must be terribly bad with money. Which might explain your interest in bitcoins.
Haters gonna hate :shrug:

Alpha Mayo posted:

Welcome back, friend. Thank you for your :10bux: donation

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Lol 1.7 mil isn't anywhere enough money to do "whatever you want", especially when you're only in your late 20s. A condo in my city alone will eat nearly half that.

I don't know if it's enough to do nothing but it's definitely enough to do anything you want for a living

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't know if it's enough to do nothing but it's definitely enough to do anything you want for a living
I want to get paid to shitpost, please write me a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRlAbJvVDc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I want to get paid to shitpost, please write me a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRlAbJvVDc

I think you're joking but I'm almost positive there's hundreds of people if not thousands making small but steady amounts of money shitposting on the internet

Mostly in the forms of like newsletters and ebooks and poo poo

They may not KNOW they're shitposting but oh boy are they ever

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The new style of newsletters or "engaging with your audience" or whatever is to just constantly send out newsletters to your customers with subject lines like "I've been thinking...." and you just send some fuckin rambling nonsense that might have some advice or something buried in your bullshit

I fuckin hate it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Lol 1.7 mil isn't anywhere enough money to do "whatever you want", especially when you're only in your late 20s. A condo in my city alone will eat nearly half that.

Okay, no, it's not "throw crazy coke parties every night" money. When I say "do whatever you want" I mean that you could basically retire from any job you currently have and not have to "work" for a living, letting you just pursue hobbies or a line of work that you find interesting but that maybe doesn't pay well. By "do" I more meant that your finances would be set and you could earnestly pursue any path that you wanted without having to worry about getting by.

With a conservative investment strategy you should be able to hit at least 5% annual returns, which would be $85k/year for essentially doing nothing. That could easily afford a condo payment in any city that doesn't have a completely hosed housing market like San Francisco.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
In news from the NEM hack, Coincheck has promised to reimburse customers at around 80 cents per coin which is quite a bit lower than the current market price, although I suppose most affected should be happy to get anything back. They also plan to go back to trading eventually, wonder if we’ll see more sell or buy orders from Japanese customers who can’t access their funds.

Also it seems like the NEM creator is pissed off that the exchange had bad security and gave his coin a bad name, but I think before this no one had heard of his coin so maybe it’s a case of any press is good press.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Let me be clear, as I stated before posting on SA is a bad life choice no matter who you are

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think you're joking but I'm almost positive there's hundreds of people if not thousands making small but steady amounts of money shitposting on the internet

can confirm, I make money from quality shitposts

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

With a conservative investment strategy you should be able to hit at least 5% annual returns, which would be $85k/year for essentially doing nothing. That could easily afford a condo payment in any city that doesn't have a completely hosed housing market like San Francisco.
Yeah, about that... I live in Manhattan. Not that 85k/year isn't enough for a modest condo here - it is, but I don't trust the markets right now. I think a serious market correction across all sectors is in order and I think it's coming sooner rather than later.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

can confirm, I make money from quality shitposts
lol nice av! You too Alpha Mayo.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
I don't know which bitcoin millionaire is buying those titles but god bless you, captain of industry

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Is there a garage sale going on or something?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wassbix posted:

I don't know which bitcoin millionaire is buying those titles but god bless you, captain of industry

as confirmed on the buttchain, evidently it was only the ONE lie, and therefore everything else I tell you is the truth

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Yeah, about that... I live in Manhattan. Not that 85k/year isn't enough for a modest condo here - it is, but I don't trust the markets right now. I think a serious market correction across all sectors is in order and I think it's coming sooner rather than later.

its not possible move to a cheap place of living with a small fraction of your 1.7 million

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

For real. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Mostly in the forms of like newsletters and ebooks and poo poo

They may not KNOW they're shitposting but oh boy are they ever

millions of them worldwide, tbh. how many affiliate marketers are there? the answer may surprise you!

Stefan Prodan posted:

The new style of newsletters or "engaging with your audience" or whatever is to just constantly send out newsletters to your customers with subject lines like "I've been thinking...." and you just send some fuckin rambling nonsense that might have some advice or something buried in your bullshit

I fuckin hate it

coincidentally, crypto shilling newsletters are great at this

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

my last day of work is Wednesday

it has been an interesting six months

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

TO THE MOON

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are there any tools or apps that detect if something in the background is using your CPU for cryptomining? After reading all the stories of in-browser mining ads I'm feeling paranoid.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

eggyolk posted:

Are there any tools or apps that detect if something in the background is using your CPU for cryptomining? After reading all the stories of in-browser mining ads I'm feeling paranoid.
Have you tried task manager? Ctrl + alt + delete check it out it's pretty rad.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Paladinus posted:

You must be terribly bad with money. Which might explain your interest in bitcoins.

:emptyquote:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Yeah, I think you're right about the real estate market. But the point still stands; you could afford to basically retire

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I think you're right about the real estate market. But the point still stands; you could afford to basically retire
I could retire a lot sooner if you would hurry up and buy some Bitcoin.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I could retire a lot sooner if you would hurry up and buy some Bitcoin.

And you promise I can triple my money in 30 days?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
do you dummies really think $1.7M is "gently caress you" money when someone is in their twenties? lmao.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
lets be fair to the buttcoiner, a mill and a half isn’t that much, we have that and paid cash for our last house but we still working in south Florida because why not

and gently caress a bunch of manhattan with only that much

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

do you dummies really think $1.7M is "gently caress you" money when someone is in their twenties? lmao.

yah that’s right

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been working for 15 years and I've made like... 1/3rd that before taxes. If someone can't afford to live off 1.7 million properly invested then perhaps they can live in a post-revolution gulag.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

define "gently caress you" money

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJR1H5tf5wE

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Alpha Mayo posted:

You are kinda making the same mistake as the true believers just on the opposite side.

Your market analysis and charts are telling you failure is imminent when this market is fueled by complete stupidity and is 100% unpredictable.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

define "gently caress you" money

its enough to say gently caress u to the world and do what u want when u want, duh

it involves lots of liquid investments, so like for us our house doesn’t count, our retirement accounts don’t count, only our cash and non retirement accounts matter

those need to be probably $10MM for fu money but even then we would have to be prudent about travel, not really sure what is exactly the right number but a couple million isn’t really that much if u think about the rest of ur life

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
and buttcoins are idiot poo poo for dumbasses but lol wish I got 10000 of those idiot poo poo things back in 2011 or whenever the first thread was here

but I would have sold them all at like the $50 mark so I didn’t really lose out on much

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

let it mellow posted:

and buttcoins are idiot poo poo for dumbasses but lol wish I got 10000 of those idiot poo poo things back in 2011 or whenever the first thread was here

but I would have sold them all at like the $50 mark so I didn’t really lose out on much

I actually mined them in 2011 when we were mocking them. When they hit 20,000$ I searched my email to get my mining pool login information and apparently they seized my butts due to inactivity six years ago and I never noticed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You are kinda making the same mistake as the true believers just on the opposite side.

Your market analysis and charts are telling you failure is imminent when this market is fueled by complete stupidity and is 100% unpredictable.
I'm glad there's no super easy way for me to legitimately short bitcoins or I'd probably die in the wave of stupidity outlasting me

(putting USD in a crypto exchange to short bitcoin doesn't count as legitimate)

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 28, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm glad there's no super easy way for me to legitimately short bitcoins or I'd probably die in the wave of stupidity outlasting me

(putting USD in a crypto exchange to "short" bitcoin doesn't count as legitimate)

Yeah, I've been following butts since the beginning and even I thought when it broke the $10,000 level recently that that was it and things would crash to probably $5,000 or less for a really really long time. Common sense would lead you to believe that crashing more than 50% in value after historic highs that weren't deserved is a clear signal that the price should be drastically lower. Nope.

I think a collapse is still coming but as dumb as this market is it will only come back in a different form.

My baseless speculation is that Bitcoins themselves will crash and take the entire market with it wiping out all of these retards that are playing wolf of wallstreet with 200 useless cryptocurrencies but the overwhelming amount of stupidity involved means Bitcoin will just be replaced by another cryptocurrency as the standard after a period of time and 1-2 years from now we will all be making fun of (insert coin) while remembering the stupidity of Bitcoins.

Also the thread isn't really covering it but you can go on things like the r/cryptocurrency discord and see hundreds of people playing wolf of wallstreet. It's the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed and I actually get to the point where I can't actually stand to experience it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I actually mined them in 2011 when we were mocking them. When they hit 20,000$ I searched my email to get my mining pool login information and apparently they seized my butts due to inactivity six years ago and I never noticed.

that might have happened to me too lol

but with perfect hindsight i could be a buttcoin billionaire

im okay with my choices tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I mined like 40 bitcoins back in 2011 and sold them on magic the gathering exchange o well