Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yardbomb posted:

So at people's recommendation I grabbed the Piranha pack, after a few matches I figured screw it this is fun and got the hero too, any hot tips for loading him?

Also the weirdest thing happened last round, I overheated and sat there on my own for a while, to the point where I was thinking "Uh, so are we coming back online any time soon" and hit turn back on myself, then instantly exploded. :confused:

You were taking overheat damage and blew up. Possibly helped by some internal damage done before by overheating or guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Yardbomb posted:

So at people's recommendation I grabbed the Piranha pack, after a few matches I figured screw it this is fun and got the hero too, any hot tips for loading him?

Also the weirdest thing happened last round, I overheated and sat there on my own for a while, to the point where I was thinking "Uh, so are we coming back online any time soon" and hit turn back on myself, then instantly exploded. :confused:

Try Axetrain's build first. If that is too hot or you need some more poking range, switch to standard medium lasers. Another thing you can do if you don't mind getting really close is six small lasers. Put at least one heatsink in a leg so that if you are on a map with water, you can get the cooling bonus.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

What kind of robots do you all use to make money besides the Hellbringer build? Not that I dislike the Hellbringer, but I'm curious what other people have that they get decent CBills in.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Xenothral posted:

What kind of robots do you all use to make money besides the Hellbringer build? Not that I dislike the Hellbringer, but I'm curious what other people have that they get decent CBills in.

The Top Dog and Black Widow are 2 solid choices.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Deathstrike.

But any solid Laser or Dakka hero works. The main thing you're looking for when farming C-Bills is consistently high damage across a lot of games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Axetrain's Cipher feels real fun so far, I'm already determined to live dangerously in this tiny paper mech anyway, so the heavy mediums feel right up it's alley.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
This is how I built my Piranha hero: CIPHER
When it works it really works but you need perfect engagements.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Couldn't you ditch a heatsink and drop a TC1 in there for more crit?

The micros give off so little heat.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Stringbean posted:

Couldn't you ditch a heatsink and drop a TC1 in there for more crit?

The micros give off so little heat.

Sadly you must have a total of 10 heatsinks to have a valid mech.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Sadly you must have a total of 10 heatsinks to have a valid mech.

Whoops had a brainfart

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, it would be great if you could run 7 Heatsinks on the PIR-1.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

All the 100-ton assaults got turbo-hosed by the engine decouple.

What is meant here by 'engine decouple'?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nickiepoo posted:

What is meant here by 'engine decouple'?

Previously the bigger the engine the higher the "agility" of your mech. Your torso twisted much faster for example, making the Atlas a beast since it can fire all it's weapons, twist 90 degrees to shield with its large arms, then twist back and be ready to do it all over. Now it's all based on some base rating and you have to improve it using skills (I think), most assaults and heavies feel much slower overall.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

Previously the bigger the engine the higher the "agility" of your mech. Your torso twisted much faster for example, making the Atlas a beast since it can fire all it's weapons, twist 90 degrees to shield with its large arms, then twist back and be ready to do it all over. Now it's all based on some base rating and you have to improve it using skills (I think), most assaults and heavies feel much slower overall.

So engine size is now only effects top speed, which effectively screws all the brawlers which relied on fast twisting to absorb shots? Welp.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nickiepoo posted:

So engine size is now only effects top speed, which effectively screws all the brawlers which relied on fast twisting to absorb shots? Welp.

It's not that bad, just some mechs got hit really hard. Atlas and KDK-3/SB come to mind. The TBR felt it pretty hard too but I think with skills it still works, which I've proven time and again when someone says it sucks on the discord.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nickiepoo posted:

Not all, but base mobility is fixed to the chassis and variant now rather than the engine. Some brawlers stayed about the same, like the Orion IIC or Bushwhacker. Others, like the Timber and Atlas, went straight in the dumpster. A few others made out like bandits, the Cycolps and Victor both got mobility well above the average for their weight class.

The difference is that mobility is now a base factor to consider when deciding if a mech is good, like hardpoints or mount locations. You can't just jam a bigger engine in and forget about it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 26, 2018

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Alrighty, here's my Cipher build.

PIR-CI

It's a bit spicy, but cools off quick enough. LMGs are effective up to 250 meters and the ERMLs are effective at 200, so they kind of pair well together. The max range on the LMGs also lets you pepper enemies at the greater distance.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drop the Targeting Computer for an extra Heatsink in the CT. The fractional benefits won't outweigh the additional cooling on a mech that hot.

Edit: back armor could also use adjustment, 2-3 max on a light mech.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 26, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Took a few games but I started getting used to the K9. Doesn't perform quite as well as the Arctic Cheetah but I still like it a lot. I also saw a fella running a large laser sniper build for the Cheetah that I kind of liked the look of.

So is the Atlas any good or is everyone going for the Annihilator now? I've always liked the Atlas but I don't really want to hamstring myself with garbage if I can avoid it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's still a brick full of hitpoints and can do good work when driven well, but the Annihilator is unquestionably the best 100-ton assault right now.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

TheKingslayer posted:

Took a few games but I started getting used to the K9. Doesn't perform quite as well as the Arctic Cheetah but I still like it a lot. I also saw a fella running a large laser sniper build for the Cheetah that I kind of liked the look of.

So is the Atlas any good or is everyone going for the Annihilator now? I've always liked the Atlas but I don't really want to hamstring myself with garbage if I can avoid it.

An Atlas can still put in work, but Annihilators wreck house.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Stringbean posted:

Alrighty, here's my Cipher build.

PIR-CI

It's a bit spicy, but cools off quick enough. LMGs are effective up to 250 meters and the ERMLs are effective at 200, so they kind of pair well together. The max range on the LMGs also lets you pepper enemies at the greater distance.

I've been trying to use the Heavy Medium Laser/regular MG build and not having a super good time of it. I remember trying out different Arrow builds swapping between LMGs, regular MGs, and HMGs, and at the time LMGs were absolutely the way to go because the optimal range of MGs/HMGs is so short that there's no way to stay on target, stay moving quickly, and stay in optimal range all at once.

I also put 4 Laser AMS on the PIR-A. The rest of the build doesn't matter because holy poo poo don't put 4 Laser AMS on the PIR-A you actually explode.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I asked in discord, but figured I'd double check here. I am running this in the Top Dog right now and am wondering if there's any improvements to be made?
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e4d68286b66adb1461c09166a93f06cb1e5d4646

Definitely does run a bit toasty.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I prefer 4 ER mediums to 5 regulars: TOP DOG

It looks like less damage, but the regular ML loses a considerable amount due to the low optimal. Not a huge difference either way. Pretty much every IS vomit heavy right now is 3LL plus as many mediums as the pilot feels comfortable with. And they're all hot as hell thanks to the hard cap on how many IS double heatsinks will fit in a mech.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
3375 MC to blow on a Hero mech, but which one?
(I have a Hellbringer from the Xmas lootbags, a K9, Pirates Bane and Oxide, and I'm already in the process of picking up the Cyclops hero).

e;
NVM, Picked up a Black Widow

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 27, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Are the heavy MG's noticably better than regular or light?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TheParadigm posted:

Are the heavy MG's noticably better than regular or light?

As a know nothing dummy that's been playing with the different Cipher builds I see around, the heavy MGs feel nice, but at the cost of beefier lasers and even more armor it kinda put me off when the normal MGs do their job well enough.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Light are generally the highest performers because of the range that you can shoot them from as well as having a lot of ammo per ton. Normal MGs got buffed a tiny bit to be a bit more competitive when compared to lights.

Heavies have a really, really short range, weigh 2x as much as the others, and have an extremely small ammo per ton.

On paper heavies were looking really good when the two new MGs came out and a lot of people were questioning the effectiveness of the lights, but it turns out that having a gun that you actually get a chance to shoot (the light in this case) is better than the gun that you almost never get to shoot (the heavy). PGI has been progressively nerfing the light and buffing the heavy since the initial release, and the light and normal still way outperform the heavy for the amount of tonnage you dedicate for them.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A slightly revised Deathstrike for anyone running the build I've posted before. Cut half a ton of armor and gauss ammo for another Heatsink. Seems like a minor change, but the recent nerf to Clan Heat Gen nodes really hosed up the mech's alpha thresholds and this mostly fixes the problem.

If the low leg armor is scary, cutting another half ton of gauss ammo is also works.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Started playing this and I'm actually doing really well - followed the OP and built/skilled out my HBR-PRIME and I'm reliably pulling at least 2 kills/match and dumping a ton of damage around (as long as I'm not charging in headlong).

So naturally I want to charge in headlong with something a little zippier, like a stockier light or a quick medium mech, and equip it for brawling with an AC10/SSRM loadout.

Any advice on mechs/outfitting for that setup in general? I don't mind trying out different setups and spending a bit of fake game money to get a good equipment balance, but I'd like to make sure I purchase a mech that can run in, shotgun the back off of an LRM boat, and run out before his buddies come after me.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
To be clear, do you want a medium-class brawler or do you want a hit-and-runner? because those are very different mechs and playstyles. Hit and runners don't carry the kind of loadout you're thinking usually. Brawlers definitely do but they don't have the mobility to legit run from a fight, mostly just maneuver around one better than the heavies and assaults.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Medium brawler, to be specific. I'm sure I'd notice the mobility difference regardless when I step down from heavy class.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Then your best bet for what you described is probably the Bushwacker X1/X2. It's standard build is almost exactly what you described (but please god don't use streaks in a brawler. straight SRMs will win every time), it's definitely more mobile than most any heavy, and it's re-loving-donkulously tanky. Especially after you skill it out.
X1 has an extra ballistic you can use for more MG backup (always good), X2 has better base mobility stats, especially in the realm of torso mobility.
e: You might also seriously consider a Linebacker. They're heavies but stupidly fast and fairly thick, if a teensy bit anemic on weapons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You might try the ASN-21 from the recommended section in the OP. It's a medium SRM brawler that's tankier than it has any right to be and is still fast enough to flank in certain situations.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 28, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Hey so I bought a Mad Cat II-2

I took this build from a JujuShinobi vid:

MCII-2 "BAPTIST"

my dudes it is the brawler Scorch build but with five tons more Stuff and a jump jet. I'm so enamored that I gave it a dumb name for nerds in the mechlab so it sounds more badass.

I've played 12 matches in it. In one my team base rushed on Incursion so I did no damage. In another a Sleipnir put two heavy gauss rounds through my cockpit at the beginning of a push and I did like 160 damage (which is two alphas, this is important).

In the other 10 I am averaging 888 damage in this thing with an 11/1 KDR. Sub-200m it will beat the poo poo out of any other robot in the game. You can actually see people panic when they come around a corner and see the build readout. Most mechs will be severely compromised after just one alpha, and you can get off three before you overheat (so take extra coolshots).

it is very good and you should buy it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wanted to try out small light mechs to see if I could buy a Piranha and have fun so I got the SPL Locust-3M and holy poo poo are light mechs super fun. Is the piranha just like, a better version of this?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes and no. The Locust has some modest structure quirks, higher mobility, and better geometry than the Piranha. What the Piranha has, is 15+ weapon hardpoints.

The bottom line is that the Piranha deals a lot more damage than the Locust or Commando, but at the cost of being ludicrously fragile. A gentle breeze is enough to blow out one of its legs or side torsos.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes and no. The Locust has some modest structure quirks, higher mobility, and better geometry than the Piranha. What the Piranha has, is 15+ weapon hardpoints.

The bottom line is that the Piranha deals a lot more damage than the Locust or Command, but at the cost of being ludicrously fragile. A gentle breeze is enough to blow out one of its legs or side torsos.

+1 on this. never put yourself in a situation where something can saw your legs off, only attack targets from behind or if they've already got important components open, be ready to disengage at a moment's notice

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You could also wait until the Osiris comes out for MC next week. The OSR-4D is an underrated and quietly powerful light mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The bottom line is that the Piranha deals a lot more damage than the Locust or Command, but at the cost of being ludicrously fragile. A gentle breeze is enough to blow out one of its legs or side torsos.

+1
Literally a single volley of streaks absolutely evaporates one. Or really just one decently aimed alpha from just about anything.
My personal favorite is the ones who try to strafe my urbie and seem utterly lost when I just keep turning to face them. Yes, you have 12 machine guns. But I have 5 mediums and can infinite turn to target your face.
I've also had just so much fun when they try to rush one of my atm mechs and I unload a volley right into their torso.
Thanks for running into range to make that a 54 damage volley! How is that 20 armor working for ya now?
...I really loving love murdering piranhas. It's a great time for me.