Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the joycons being untethered wiimotes is insanely sick. praise iwata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've literally never taken the dock out of the box as far as I'm concerned it's Nintendo's new handheld

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

There are too many good video games for me to play.

No kidding. I left for a week and I come back to Celeste, Iconoclasts and Dragon Ball. I know I shouldn't by all three at once but :sweatdrop:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hate Meat Boy but love Celeste and Slime-san, maybe it's partially due to the little extras / better crafted levels, but maybe it's also that the controls just seem way tighter on both of those. I never felt like there was weight to what I did in Meat Boy.

Can confirm Celeste is very good though seeing it get the inordinate praise it has so far is weird. Like 10/10 perfect reviews. Not gonna argue but it's odd how fast people have latched onto it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why is that weird

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Why is that weird

because it's very similar to other indie platformers and it's "just" an indie platformer. I personally love it so far but it's not anything I'd expect to get glowing praise from so many mainstream places.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I got three Steam achievements from Planet Coaster before it finished downloading

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How does the movement feel in Celeste? I always bring up Ori and the Blind Forest when I ask this question because that game to me has PERFECT feeling movement. It's so satisfying to jump and dash and glide and run. It's so smooth and feels great. So with that, how does Celeste feel? I keep seeing people mention Meat Boy and Slimesan and neither of those games felt that great gameplay wise. But something like Downwell and Cuphead had awesome feeling movement.

edit: Also are the levels procedurally generated? I hate that in platformers most of the time, I'd must rather have full well crafted levels (Downwell is kind of a weird exception to this)

Nina posted:

Small towns you want out of are universal. Even if you can't quite relate to the economical context of Possum Springs it's easy enough to relate to the setting emotionally

I think the things the characters do and feel are pretty universal it's just that over there instead of saying things like "I'm a total trash mammal" they say things like "I'm right knackered mate"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 28, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

I got three Steam achievements from Planet Coaster before it finished downloading

Is Planet Coaster any good? I’ve heard it’s more like building a model theme park and less economic like the older Tycoon games.

Speaking of what is the best tycoon railroad/train game out there right now that’s decent?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenVulgarity posted:

There are too many good video games for me to play.

Not even counting my enormous backlog, but only listing games I am currently playing or started playing or just bought: Bloodborne (second playthrough for DLC), Slay the Spire, TIS-100 (started for the fifth time, learned how to play all over again, then stalled out at the same place), Witcher 3 (I finished Wild Hunt at the end of 2016, installed the DLC, and then it slipped off my radar), Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider, Super Mario Odyssey (post-credits, every couple of days I pick it up and grab a few moons so I'll be done in 2021 probably), Dragon's Dogma (just got this because it was on sale), Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (neat and it looks pretty but it's way too finicky for me and makes me just want to play Invisible Inc. so I think I might drop it), Oxygen Not Included (I started playing this because Shadow Tactics made me think of Invisible Inc), Nex Machina (I need to beat the last world), Destiny 2 (I need to do all the stuff on Mercury at least once I feel like)

Also a friend wants to coop Monster Hunter World and I'm thinking of getting They Are Billions. Plus possibly getting back into Injustice 2/Tekken 7 to avoid buying FighterZ.

I say all this but then most of my game time this week has been playing Slay the Spire while watching Overwatch League.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

How does the movement feel in Celeste? I always bring up Ori and the Blind Forest when I ask this question because that game to me has PERFECT feeling movement. It's so satisfying to jump and dash and glide and run. It's so smooth and feels great. So with that, how does Celeste feel? I keep seeing people mention Meat Boy and Slimesan and neither of those games felt that great gameplay wise. But something like Downwell and Cuphead had awesome feeling movement.

edit: Also are the levels procedurally generated? I hate that in platformers most of the time, I'd must rather have full well crafted levels (Downwell is kind of a weird exception to this)

I think movement feels incredible. The core mechanic of the air dash is perfect and you have to become a master of knowing how to use it and recharge it safely.

And god no it is 100% intricately crafted levels. It would not be anywhere near as amazing if it were procedural

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is Planet Coaster any good? I’ve heard it’s more like building a model theme park and less economic like the older Tycoon games.

Speaking of what is the best tycoon railroad/train game out there right now that’s decent?

Some of my friends have it and like it. I don't have an opinion yet.

Railway Empire looks like it might be good but it just went up in price :20bux: because it came out of early access.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Aren’t all platformers handcrafted? I don’t think poo poo like rogue legacy or spelunky belong in the same category as meatboy or Celeste.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aaaaaaaa

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...cr_twitter_news

Some of this jojo merch looks cool as hell. If I was pretty and if I was wealthy in excess to the point where I could drop 200 bucks on a shirt then I'd totally consider it. As it is, lmao at the idea of a $200 shirt, idgaf how good it looks, unless I'm a multimillionaire that kinda price is just fuckin ridiculous.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

Aren’t all platformers handcrafted? I don’t think poo poo like rogue legacy or spelunky belong in the same category as meatboy or Celeste.

Spleunky is really good in particular because the random pieces it uses to generate its levels feel intelligently put together though

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

FirstAidKite posted:

Aaaaaaaa

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...cr_twitter_news

Some of this jojo merch looks cool as hell. If I was pretty and if I was wealthy in excess to the point where I could drop 200 bucks on a shirt then I'd totally consider it. As it is, lmao at the idea of a $200 shirt, idgaf how good it looks, unless I'm a multimillionaire that kinda price is just fuckin ridiculous.

JoJo clothing merch has always been insanely expensive for some reason. I guess it's just a running trend to hand the merchandising to premium companies.

I don't think I'd ever want to drop this kind of money on a t-shirt of all things. The JoJo jewelry they used to have was pretty cool though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Uninstalled Steam. I'm free of you gaben, free of you and your fantastic deals. See you in a few years, sucker.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Spleunky is really good in particular because the random pieces it uses to generate its levels feel intelligently put together though

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I played like dozens of hours into Spleunky and never encountered a floor set-up like that, so I dunno. I'd say by and large most of the tiles intersect with each other in interesting ways, Spleunky feels a lot more polished in that regard than most games like it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah that's the only time i've seen it in 170 hours of spelunky

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, I'm hardly a Spelunky expert but to me it seemed like the generation could create a lot of bizarre layouts. It was always careful to make them survivable, but some are significantly more hazardous than others and the potential for instant death was much higher. I always viewed that as just part of the game though rather than a flaw. Plus its always funny when the Shopkeeper at the end of the level gets set off right at the start and then impales himself on spikes.

Spelunky!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

the movement feels fantastic and you'll feel like an enormous badass by the end of the second level

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spelunky is good because the random generation is fun, instead of being bad because the random generation is dull *stares at 20xx and galak-z*

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm halfway through the main progression of Celeste, discounting the harder versions of the stages and getting collectables, and I cannot fathom the stages getting harder, but I know they will and I know I'll beat them cause I've already had the feeling before. It's so good at turning the "You want me to do loving what" into "God, I'm loving great at video games" and that's happened constantly, I'm always impressing myself. I never really liked how Meat Boy controlled, it constantly felt like I was on roller skates 24/7 whereas I feel Celeste has a bit slower of a rhythm while still being as nail baiting, I almost always know what I should be doing, and not just frantically jumping. More of a method to it

Nina posted:

JoJo clothing merch has always been insanely expensive for some reason. I guess it's just a running trend to hand the merchandising to premium companies.

I don't think I'd ever want to drop this kind of money on a t-shirt of all things. The JoJo jewelry they used to have was pretty cool though
I almost bought a recreation of Kakyoin's cherry earrings they had for like $150

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

owlboy is in humble monthly which makes it worth it

Counter-opinion: owlboy isn't a good game. It's very pretty, but it plays poorly, runs poorly, and the story is rear end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remembered that i still have this on my computer

https://files.catbox.moe/n06zqk.mp4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Grapplejack posted:

Counter-opinion: owlboy isn't a good game. It's very pretty, but it plays poorly, runs poorly, and the story is rear end.

Yeah, it looked cool when they ran it in agdq, but when people in the thread explained what the game is actually about, it pretty much killed any desire I had to play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

Yeah, it looked cool when they ran it in agdq, but when people in the thread explained what the game is actually about, it pretty much killed any desire I had to play it.

What is it actually about?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

What is it actually about?

a bird man fails at everything he attempts and gets relentlessly shat upon by everyone around him

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Owlboy is a cute and good game that revolutionizes nothing but does what it tries to do well

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Really Pants posted:

a bird man fails at everything he attempts and gets relentlessly shat upon by everyone around him

As someone who puts Radiata Stories in their all time favorite JRPGs this sounds just fine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Owlboy also manages to make free flight feel like walking through deep mud, which is quite an achievement

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

It honestly wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for the main guy, the one who shits on you the hardest and the most frequently, having a part at the end where he's like "I always believed in you". Like, no you DIDN'T, motherFUCKER AAAA.

E: Eh, spose I should spoiler that.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 28, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One of the first missions in Watch_Dogs 2 is stealing millions from Martin Shkreli Gene Carcani by baiting him with a Wu Tang Clan Bobo Drake album. :allears:

It is blatant pandering, but it panders to me so it's ok.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Really Pants posted:

Owlboy also manages to make free flight feel like walking through deep mud, which is quite an achievement

Have you played Actraiser 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samuringa posted:

One of the first missions in Watch_Dogs 2 is stealing millions from Martin Shkreli Gene Carcani by baiting him with a Wu Tang Clan Bobo Drake album. :allears:

It is blatant pandering, but it panders to me so it's ok.

panderingly goofy watch_dogs is probably better than obnoxiously edgy watch_dogs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nina posted:

This sort of stuff is always crazy expensive, since I guess the market for "literally dressing like a character" vs cheap logo tee or something is way smaller.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Colonel posted:

i remembered that i still have this on my computer

https://files.catbox.moe/n06zqk.mp4

Where's that olympic gif where it shows Robotnik outrunning the hell out of sonic.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Where's that olympic gif where it shows Robotnik outrunning the hell out of sonic.

hmmm let me check. says here, it's "in your freaking dreams". he's the fastest thing alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

• Locked thread