Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

:five:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

kw0134 posted:

Nah we all know the cultists won't be dissuaded from their sense of righteousness in the project, we're all here to see what mental contortions they'll put themselves into. Obvious Ortwin was right and the judge is incompetent and probably cucks a beta male at home. The judicial system is a farce and this needs to be appealed straight to the Supreme Court or to the force of our arms. Etc., so forth.

Yup sad but true.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

For a fun blast from the past, here's the first mention of a fully playable Stanton System and Subsumption AI, both are mentioned as in "the next few releases". This is from August 2015, given both are now pencilled in as finishing in 2018 (or beyond for the full star system), that's over 3 years and 4 months for this thing to go from "we're doing this" to "it's done".

More amusingly, they mentioned Subsumption would replace the earlier ship-based Kythera AI, and Brian Chambers mentioned work on this as having begun in the [F42 update in May 2017](https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6ditot/kythera_and_subsumption/) but as of the most recent production schedule, only 1/3rd of tasks relating to this changeover are complete, with the switchover finishing by March 2018.

So for the last eight months they've managed 1/3rd of the work, but will complete the other 2/3rds in 2 months. That's proper CR scheduling there.

Virtual Captain posted:

Here is a list of 77 promises that are over 3 years old: StarCitizen Tracker filtered by Stagnant

I submitted a bunch to this site a while back, but they didn't get added :(

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghostlight posted:

Exposing user data in the url isn't just a case of forgetting to set a variable. If you're doing that then everything below it is probably also a gigantic loving mess just to fail pen tests.

You got to wonder if they are sanitizing any incoming data. Imagine all the database "smegma" you could introduce with a mal-crafted input.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

RubberJohnny posted:

I submitted a bunch to this site a while back, but they didn't get added :(

Through the google form? We're up to date on those except a bunch of star systems that were submitted in August:

I see some submitted in January that haven't been reviewed yet too.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 29, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ghostlight posted:

The best outcome is that CryTek loses and is buried and CIG walk out of the courtroom to a hero's welcome.

It's barely even a feasible possibility, but it is the best outcome from a goon perspective.

I agree.

I don’t want CR to have the opportunity to say “well ah everything was going great until uh CryTek ruined everything... sorry guys!”

I want CR and crew to have almost nothing to stop them. I want them to have no choice but to look the backers in the eye and tell them the truth.

No easy way out, no excuses.

But that’s the Disney ending and not likely to happen. I’m sort of surprised CR is still there and hasn’t handed off the whole mess to somebody else now that he’s “laid all the critical groundwork and technology.” Basically leave and act like somebody just has to connect a couple dots and fill in the blanks with all the content he’s already got developed in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tortolia posted:

The lack of ship persistence being acknowledged and confirmed by CIG is one of the more damaging confessions that could happen. So much of Citizen theorycrafting and dreaming has been based around a wild west style universe where being a pirate is a viable option. Hell, CIG sold pirate themed jpegs.

It's also a cascading design problem; if the stolen ships don't persist, many other systems are limited or flat out worthless. CIG pulled a piece out of the Jenga tower fairly close to the bottom and suddenly it's much harder to ignore how wobbly it looks.

It's a perfect example of how the worst thing that could ever happen to Star Citizen is for it to come out. Statements like that are incredibly damaging because there's no way to handwave it away as an alpha problem. If you don't like the flight model, or the game is boring, or you've spent ten minutes trying to get out of your ship and you can't because you've t-posed into the floor, you can always tell yourself that the game is still in development and then spend more money maintain enthusiasm. On the other hand if an actual developer says that something will be a certain way, and that particular way flies in the face of literally years of promises and lies marketing, then that shakes the core confidence and forces the backer to question what else about the project might not be what they paid literally thousands of dollars for. Some might have an epiphany and desperately try to squeeze what they can out of the refund process, others will accept the change and find a way to reconstruct their illusion so that this is a good thing, and meanwhile we'll keep laughing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Remember if? I predicted it in my November blog!

:smuggo:

And boy did those last weeks of the year deliver. Mission succesfl!

Lando goes pure revisionist, even claiming Roberts and Roberts alone programmed their entire original demo.

He really gets mad at you meanies who say Development started in 2011. The Code Whisperer has only just finished touring his hand crafted demo, and as Sandi says, boy howdy to watch that man program is a wonder because brilliance.

Whooboy these times they are a testing the tensile strength of a very strained fiction of past events. Sooner or later it’s going to snap completely and the Thesis/Antithesis debates are going to end, save for the true nutters who cling to the fiction long abandoned because without it they’d have to look harder at the guy with the lollipop wrapper where a head should be staring back at him in the mirror.

That's not revisionist history, it's blatant lying. I have SEEN concrete evidence that proves it to be patently FALSE, and that Crytek (including Sean Tracy et al) worked on that. I even wrote (search for SEAN) about it not less than two weeks ago.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/953691070898102272.html

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Well back, Derek said there was some complication with CryEngine that prevented being able to have other players in your private hangar. I was never really clear on the whats or whys, but I don't know specific details of the engine's internals, so I had no choice but to take the statement at face value.

Simple. They can't instance player's personal space, which is what the hangars are. They are instanced for the player only, with no multiplayer access.

In order for them to allow players to visit each other's hangar, they would have to make it a part of the PU, just like a station or ship. Then they would have to put in controls which a player can use to invite friends to their hangar so that people don't just enter it at will.

It was a promise that was hosed from the start. That's why they didn't do it - and never will.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=2218s why backers believe in star citizen. and then lando starts talking about educating skeptics with ATV episodes. Skeptics exist because they just haventh heard about word of chris.
the whole video is just rewriting star citizens history for backers, re-educating em about what has happened/promised in past. Its kinda amazing
Also https://youtu.be/cDEYHlN0qUM?t=4725 they rewrote the lando leak part, it didnt happen. Leak source was elite hacker :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=5308s :allears:

Except that with less than 200 views, the word isn't going to get out. So. :colbert:

----------------

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lladre posted:

You got to wonder if they are sanitizing any incoming data. Imagine all the database "smegma" you could introduce with a mal-crafted input.

SQL injection, meet the user table. How much you wanna bet passwords and credit cards aren’t encrypted.*

*This is in no way an endorsement of hacking. Although I’ve been programming a long time, I’ve never engaged in hacking, and avoided learning about it beyond how to defend against it. I believe programmers have a social responsibility to write code only with the intention of providing a valuable service, and/or helping advance humankind through art, entertainment, and technological advancement. Although I believe the RSI website is being used unethically, the source code itself was designed with good intentions. And no one, no matter how odious and malignant their web presence, deserves to have their identity or money stolen.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I don’t understand why they didn’t copy Eve’s mechanics for ship theft and replacement. You’d have to tweak it to reflect Star Citizen and it’s lack of manufacturing, sure, but it seems like a reasonable starting place. Grandfathered early backers have lifetime insurance on certain hulls, everyone else has to pay each time, everyone has a delay for ship replacement to impede abuse. Less-secure space has a longer delay to deter abuse by pirates, lore it up by saying its more dangerous and therefore less trade there. Hell, copy Eve’s system security and space cops too, add real teeth to theft in high-security space. The mechanics don’t seem insurmountable and makes me wonder if the real reason for the theft change is that they can’t get it to work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

These people are all con artists. I've been saying this forever and a day. So this Lando broadcast - which I've now archived - should come as no surprise. I mean, even the backers are still complicit. When I was writing my latest blog and reviewing the comparisons of the new TOS, I simply couldn't believe that that they would be so brazen with the two material changes they made. Yet, not a peep from the cult.

I think for the hardcore backers/shitizens, it's not about getting a good game anymore, it's all about not admitting you have been an idiot for giving Chris Roberts money based on wild promises. That's why it continues to be so important to prove you are wrong about anything, even something insignificant, while the word of Roberts continues to be gospel.

I think the shine really seems to be wearing off for normal gamers, they don't care about what's behind it all, they just see 20 FPS and you won't be able to keep anything you can steal.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen: Where the ships are all made up and the Blogs don’t matter

Fuckin lmao they’re killing ship persistence. They gave up on tracking ship ownership and now they’re gonna run into some insane scenario where a clan keeps ganking their capital ship owner, giving it to someone else, and waiting for him to respawn into a new capital ship only to repeat the process over and over until they can grief-spam PvP

All that of course implies an actual game is released

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

intardnation posted:

they got the hangar and part of SM out didnt they? most of the ships we see now as well? I think most of what was done now was done by those guys.

As best as I can recall, yeah. A good chunk of the ships and the original, more functional Arena Commander, came out of Austin.

This was before the turf war between them and LA, and everything started getting pushed of to F42, which was still being billed as the studio working on S42.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bob Socko posted:

The mechanics don’t seem insurmountable and makes me wonder if the real reason for the theft change is that they can’t get it to work.
As a reminder, CIG has trouble getting doors to work. People have died trying to get out of their initial spawn point, struck dead for no apparent reason while reaching for a doorknob. CIG's grasp exceeds their reach in the same way a quadruple amputee can grasp the stars.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bob Socko posted:

I don’t understand why they didn’t copy Eve’s mechanics for ship theft and replacement. You’d have to tweak it to reflect Star Citizen and it’s lack of manufacturing, sure, but it seems like a reasonable starting place. Grandfathered early backers have lifetime insurance on certain hulls, everyone else has to pay each time, everyone has a delay for ship replacement to impede abuse. Less-secure space has a longer delay to deter abuse by pirates, lore it up by saying its more dangerous and therefore less trade there. Hell, copy Eve’s system security and space cops too, add real teeth to theft in high-security space. The mechanics don’t seem insurmountable and makes me wonder if the real reason for the theft change is that they can’t get it to work.

CIG has no desire to allow their status of gatekeeper over ship access to lapse. If you wish to use one you must go through them, cash in hand.

CIG will never stop selling ships and I feel very confident that the disparity in economic access to such things will be so tilted as to make Rockstar's vehicle pack strategy blush.

I mean hypothetically. As the game is never coming out. Which is why it's weird to see people popping the dream bubble now. It's like telling the old people you're robo calling that you're not actually going to send them a piece of the one true cross, you ARE the one true cross, just to weed out the truly faithful.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If SC fails because Chris in his hubris thought he could weasel his way out of a contract it will be funny, but the beltdown this thread will have if CIG wins the lawsuit will also be incredible.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tortolia posted:

The lack of ship persistence being acknowledged and confirmed by CIG is one of the more damaging confessions that could happen. So much of Citizen theorycrafting and dreaming has been based around a wild west style universe where being a pirate is a viable option. Hell, CIG sold pirate themed jpegs.

It's also a cascading design problem; if the stolen ships don't persist, many other systems are limited or flat out worthless. CIG pulled a piece out of the Jenga tower fairly close to the bottom and suddenly it's much harder to ignore how wobbly it looks.

It’s the inevitable gamification of the simulation. As the dust settles, the utterly insane stuff CIG touted as going to do is not going to happen.

Sure they promised this to people, and no doubt a lot of people all along the way bought in over this or that promise. The more promised they say “yeeeaaahhh... about that... been a little change!” The more people are going to freak out and truthfully they should.

Sure CIG can say they’ll have it eventually. Because apparently infinite time and money is on their side. The real question though is when. And that’s probably what people need to start asking. Even for basic stuff like the repair ship. That had an ungodly amount of systems all by itself just to say “Repair: 500c”. From laser cutting out damaged stuff to replacing it with different types of metals with different stats and ... it goes crazy.

I won’t even get into then labs and research stations and tank battles and land ownership with police guards and.. and....

When? How long are people willing to wait? At what point does “piracy is just so long until the person logs out” or “deep space scanning is this golf swing mechanic” will people think that their dream, despite everything, is still coming.

The worst thing about place holders in huge projects is that people move on to other stuff that doesn’t even have a placeholder and eventually that thing that was a placeholder is now the permanent solution.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I also like how having a door lock on your ship is apparently some insurmountable task.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Fuckin lmao they’re killing ship persistence.

Guild/Organisation hangars were another promise, being able to lend ships to org mates, all presumably binned promises too. If you had a system to lend/return ships to people, tracking stolen ships wouldn't be much different. Also the half remembered thing they intended to implement to investigate bogus insurance claims.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

Simple. They can't instance player's personal space, which is what the hangars are. They are instanced for the player only, with no multiplayer access.

In order for them to allow players to visit each other's hangar, they would have to make it a part of the PU, just like a station or ship. Then they would have to put in controls which a player can use to invite friends to their hangar so that people don't just enter it at will.

It was a promise that was hosed from the start. That's why they didn't do it - and never will.

It’s interesting for sure. IMO the easiest way to do this would be through a peer-to-peer network arch. The hangar owner acts as server host, everyone else connects to them. As with all netcode, it’s not straightforward, but would be feasible provided someone at CIG understands network programming, which I’ve seen no evidence of.

It would be easy to mask the connecting/loading screens behind some kind of “Preparing to teleport... Teleporting to PlayerX hangar” animation/particle system, or “Teleporting to PU” if the host disconnects. But I’m sure this isn’t “seamless” nor “fidelitous” enough for ol’ Crobbler.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

from /r/pcgaming's sidebar. lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

If SC fails because Chris in his hubris thought he could weasel his way out of a contract it will be funny, but the beltdown this thread will have if CIG wins the lawsuit will also be incredible.

CIG winning would be hilarious, I don't see it myself, I think it's about 90% on a last minute settlement. 10% it reaches discovery and then crazy poo poo starts happening.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Bob Socko posted:

Yeah it's basically this. I mean, show me a Star Citizen 3.0 server with more than a week of uptime and maybe I'll concede that they have enough scalability to handle more than a couple hundred ship spawns.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

RubberJohnny posted:

This piracy news has really upset some backers, I'm seeing account names who were always the aggressive defenders now attacking the project and calling it Pay2Win.

We should create a list of "most delayed features" that aren't in the game yet - the character creator was originally supposed to be done by the end of 2016, (mentioned in the 2.4 roundtable), "Organisations 2.0" was scheduled for Winter 2014, then the Starmap was given priority over it, which released in Oct 2015, and then a short update at Xmas 2015 saying we should see things soon, then they said we should see it with the updated website, but the website has come and gone in 2018 with no redone organisations.

Sounds good.

2m goal:
Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the 30-mission Squadron 42 campaign upon release.

3.5m:
Cockpit decorations – Turn your stock cockpit into your home with personalized decorations; amaze your friends with bobbleheads, photographs, dinosaurs, fuzzy dice, nose art, posters and many more cool options!

Ship boarding – learn more about how Star Citizen will allow players to conduct boarding operations.

4m:
A new star system will be added to the game for every $100,000 pledged, with descriptions posted to the Comm-Link.
$3.1M: Odin System
$3.2M: Tyrol System
$3.3M: Kellog System
$3.4M: Goss System
$3.5M: Orion System
$3.6M: Ellis System
$3.7M: Cathcart System
$3.8M: Tal System
$3.9M: Geddon System
$4.0M: Chronos System

Professional mod tools will be provided free to all players.

Squadron 42 will feature a richer storyline and 45 total missions.

Star Citizen will launch with 50 star systems and feature an additional flyable ship, the Drake Interplanetary Cutlass.

I could go on but I don’t care. This isn’t even the bullshit from 10ftC lies.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tortolia posted:

Yup, how about...

1. You steal a ship.
2. Your friend steals a Nox floaty bike, and stows it in the ship's cargo hold.
3. You carry cargo boxes into the ship, one by one.
4. You fly off to some asteroid or some poo poo.
5. You stop near the asteroid and both log off.

Does the ship disappear when you both log off?

What if there is a third, unrelated person nearby? How close do they have to be? What if they fly further and further away? How far is too far?

When you log back on,

- Is there still a ship, or did it "despawn" like a fake not real pretend instanced pretty jpeg?
- If it de-jpegged, where are you? Floating in space by the asteroid, without a ship?
- Where is your friend? Also floating in space?
- Where is the Nox bike? Do bikes also de-jpeg, or is that only ships? What about tanks?
- Is the cargo still there, now floating in space with you?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bob Socko posted:

Bingo. They lack the will and/or the ability to actually get persistence designed, let alone working. I mean fucksake, they still can’t figure doors out. And ramps? Not even remotely imaginable. I mean they just now started trying to figure out how to respawn in your ship when you die.

Toops fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 29, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

And none of them are remotely curious about Arena Commander or the racing module.

New players face 2 blockers before trying the nogame :
- download it
- launch it

I'm not astonished that most can't climb these two mountains to attain the top, where they'd find that the moutain is just a gigantic pile of poo poo.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Beet Wagon posted:

Well Rule #3 is just ridiculous.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Insurance Fraud in a video game? Yuck. Gross.

I will be over here, murdering people, like a sane person.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

You are clearly missing the point. Years from now, as has happened in the past, what gives you the impression that people are going to remember half this poo poo that's littered across various Internet communities? And that's precisely why I do my best to collate, collect, and archive as much of the pertinent stuff as possible - and all in one place. Even all the best posts and analysis we've done here over the years, will all be lost in the fabric of time - not particularly because people forget, but because nobody will care enough to dig it all up, let alone remember what was written, when, and where.

I mean you're not wrong, that it will be hard to pull all of this together in years to come. I just can't imagine that ten years from now anyone's going to care that deeply about the minutiae of the incompetence of a failed car salesman and his evil crocodile leather handbag slash wife, but if they do you will certainly have it all in one place.

I guess I see the hilarity of this collapse as more of a transient thing. I'd rather laugh at it, learn from it if I can, and then move on. But if you need a big mound of skulls to stand on at the end of all things, you're on the right track. Truly you are the archivist that Star Citizen needs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

They hired some guy who makes videos in his tossed bedroom to make their trailers?

He founded INN!?

what

XK posted:

They hired some guy who makes videos in his tossed bedroom to make their trailers?

He founded INN!?

what

I did not watch the video, but if I recall:

INN was founded by Wolf Larsen/Jake DiMare who owns a company called Oasis, which is an online marketing system designed to propagate your product through internet channels and social media by way of drumming up interest with fake users, astroturfing, sharing your stuff all over the internet (very similar to say, Boo Huxley did by posting about Star Citizen across lots of random web pages).

INN further “hired” a few well known Reddit users to create content. They did this for free, under the assumption that INN was also working for free.

As it turns out they discovered that INN was actually being paid, and threw a bit of a fit, and tried to leave and take INN and whatever money they could that they felt they deserved.

Since the break up, INN promised it would not stop since this was personal project and definitely not something CIG was paying for and has since basically stopped writing articles since mid-2017.

Hope this helps. Anybody can correct me if I’m wrong, my memory on this dumb crap is probably not 100% perfect.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Calling it now, we haven't heard the last of the Swedish Mafia :toot:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Referral quotes for Star Citizen have been banned from a number of subs. MMORPG, spacesimgames, and so on. Citizens have a real bad rep. They are the timeshare sales reps of the gaming world.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beet Wagon posted:

but but but.... Star Citizen...it's liek....the most :pcgaming: of all!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bob Socko posted:

I don’t understand why they didn’t copy Eve’s mechanics for ship theft and replacement. You’d have to tweak it to reflect Star Citizen and it’s lack of manufacturing, sure, but it seems like a reasonable starting place.

That wold mean copying someone else which is very un-never-been-done-before-like, doubly so when it's nasty evil goon griefer game that everyone is trying to escape from. Copying taking inspiration from it is a slippery slope that will just leave the door open for nasty evil goon griefers to come and run everything.

It also means actually being aware of and playing a PC game released after 2003, which is very un-CIG-like.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Hmm, did they always have the "alpha" so prominently featured in their website? I'm thinking no (basically I'm almost sure of it).
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/patch-notes

Money must be good, or they got a cascade of refunds claiming that "I got a poo poo non-game and then the community told me this was actually a pre-alpha work-in-progress".

I'm guessing they will be phasing it out soon though.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mr Fronts posted:

Yup, how about...

1. You steal a ship.
2. Your friend steals a Nox floaty bike, and stows it in the ship's cargo hold.
3. You carry cargo boxes into the ship, one by one.
4. You fly off to some asteroid or some poo poo.
5. You stop near the asteroid and both log off.

Does the ship disappear when you both log off?

What if there is a third, unrelated person nearby? How close do they have to be? What if they fly further and further away? How far is too far?

When you log back on,

- Is there still a ship, or did it "despawn" like a fake not real pretend instanced pretty jpeg?
- If it de-jpegged, where are you? Floating in space by the asteroid, without a ship?
- Where is your friend? Also floating in space?
- Where is the Nox bike? Do bikes also de-jpeg, or is that only ships? What about tanks?
- Is the cargo still there, now floating in space with you?

All good points. The question is, who “owns” the ship? What does “ownership” entail? Just being in the ship? Well, we know that isn’t true, just look what happened when the guy flying the Connie crashed during the Gamescom preso. Nobody could take over flight controls. But wait! You can control other another ship’s UI when you’re not even in the ship (there’s a clip of some guy mucking with an abandoned Nox’s controls from within his ship). Does he “own” that ship now?

They can’t do anything. They can’t even do nothing!! They’ve coded themselves into such an horrific corner through myopia and design incompetence that nothing in this “game” stands any scrutiny whatsoever. Even a simple thought experiment causes the whole game to crumple like a jpeg scribbled on notebook paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

You are clearly missing the point. Years from now, as has happened in the past, what gives you the impression that people are going to remember half this poo poo that's littered across various Internet communities? And that's precisely why I do my best to collate, collect, and archive as much of the pertinent stuff as possible - and all in one place. Even all the best posts and analysis we've done here over the years, will all be lost in the fabric of time - not particularly because people forget, but because nobody will care enough to dig it all up, let alone remember what was written, when, and where.

That's why we created r/DerekSmart but we grew bored with it. There is a point where it just becomes meaningless to collate, archive, and curate poo poo.