Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
has anyone killed themselves or someone else over bitcoins yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

spaceships posted:

probably

there have been people arrested after they tried to use bitcoin to hire hitmen

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

spaceships posted:

I saw some screenshots of people claiming there were suicides over cryptos recently, most notably bitconnect, but those aren't really trustworthy.

I haven't seen any official articles or news reports anything where a suicide note/family member blamed cryptos or anything.

but

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
-- disregard, confused posters

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 29, 2018

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
"US-based"

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

So, which lovely Altcoin are you currently trying to pump up? Do you still believe Cardano is going to go up uP UP?
that's AARO not Adar

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

bless his heart

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Virtual Currency Girls Unable To Get Paid Following Major Cryptocurrency Theft

quote:

Virtual Currency Girls held a press conference on January 27 to discuss the theft of 58 billion Yen (500 million USD) from the Japanese cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck.

Earlier this week, Coincheck halted most trading on its exchanges, and withdraws in both cryptocurrency and Yen had been suspended completely. This came as a result of the cryptocurrency theft.

The group, which is paid in cryptocurrency, uses Coincheck to for its activities. Its members were supposed to be paid 2 million Yen (18,400 USD), but was unable to get receive their salary due to the cryptocurrency theft.

The group's agency offered to pay its members in Yen while Coincheck suspended its activities. The members decided against being paid in Yen, stating that it had pride in its position on cryptocurrency, and would only accept cryptocurrency as originally intended.

Despite the theft and the service's disruption, Virtual Currency Girls continues to express excitement over the future of cryptocurrency. It also advocated for the continued use of cryptocurrencies, included the coins that had been stolen this past week.

Coincheck's suspension of services will not stop Virtual Currency Girls' activities, despite being unable to receive payments from fans. The group announced that it will hold a free live in Tokyo on February 16 for Coincheck users.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

"auditions" :lol:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I'm dead, I'm dying

Man who has multiple economic indicators named after him, father of modern branch of economics = understanding of economics unclear

Billionaire vampire man who literally injects his veins with the blood of the young = economic master

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

noteworthy: the prices on coinbase/gdax have been several % lower than the prices on bitfinex for the last 3 days.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

That loving chart.

Made money = Clearly, you understand the econemy better than anyone since you made a website that can transfer money, and your company skimmed money off the top of said transactions.
Anybody who says Bill gates was a visionary doesn't know what he did very well, look at the anti-trust lawsuits to get a drat clue.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i read buffet's bio a long time ago and he points out that stock hucksters were around back on the 60s. he's seen scams since forever but totally clueless when it comes to *squints eye* bitcryptopower.biz

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
totally unrelated, but the economics thing is actually a "nobel", including the quotes. Its full title is "Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel" which says pretty much everything about the legitimacy of the prize compared to real Nobel prizes and the criteria for getting one

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

paternity suitor posted:

I'm dead, I'm dying

bitcoin claims another victim

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ymgve posted:

totally unrelated, but the economics thing is actually a "nobel", including the quotes. Its full title is "Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel" which says pretty much everything about the legitimacy of the prize compared to real Nobel prizes and the criteria for getting one

quote:

In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank (Swedish National Bank) celebrated its 300th anniversary by donating a large sum of money to the Nobel Foundation to be used to set up a prize in honour of Nobel.

It's the same organization as all of the other prizes, the funding just comes from a bank instead of Nobel's corpse. Maybe there's some other political bullshit tied to that money that makes the prize less legitimate? idk

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inept posted:

. Maybe there's some other political bullshit tied to that money that makes the prize less legitimate? idk
Yeah there is, and that political bullshit is called economics.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah economics is dumb but the peace prize seems to attract a lot more bullshit

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Yeah there is, and that political bullshit is called economics.
man, never thought I'd be agreeing with the bitcoin poster

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Every bitcoinerd is going to die. Fact.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, it's just a hypothesis for now. Past performance is not an indication of future performance

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Uranium 235 posted:

noteworthy: the prices on coinbase/gdax have been several % lower than the prices on bitfinex for the last 3 days.

this is the market pricing tethers as worth a bit less than a dollar, per my latest hit blog post

got quoted in the papers too, that article was top of news.com.au for a while - it's a pretty good attempt at a mainstream tabloid newspaper article about the Tether situation

i can just imagine when they asked Bfx/Tether for comment

"hello Mr Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, we require you uh sign this NDA"
"how about no"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just so I'm clear, because like Warren Buffet, I don't understand economics:

1. Bitcoin is really slow and expensive to use for actual transactions (but fine for drugs and illegal stuff);
2. The real value in bitcoin is that people keep buying and selling it, which drives the price higher and higher;
3. People who got in early can cash out for a profit;
4. That profit is gained solely on the backs of people buying late, at a higher price;
5. The only way for the people who bit late to profit is for additional people to buy even later, driving up the price more.

So the only way to profit off bitcoin is necessarily for others to lose money, essentially gambling right? But unlike most gambling, some of late-buyers think they're investing in an asset rather than actually gambling.

It's immoral right? What am I missing gbs?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No, you got it exactly right.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

1. Bitcoin is really slow and expensive to use for actual transactions (but fine for drugs and illegal stuff);
2. The real value in bitcoin is that people keep buying and selling it, which drives the price higher and higher;
4. That profit is gained solely on the backs of people buying late, at a higher price;
5. The only way for the people who bit late to profit is for additional people to buy even later, driving up the price more.

So the only way to profit off bitcoin is necessarily for others to lose money, essentially gambling right? But unlike most gambling, some of late-buyers think they're investing in an asset rather than actually gambling.

People are loving dumb

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nerds also love it because it has ~math~ and that somehow lends legitimacy to it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's not actually good for drugs, the value of bitcoin fluctuates too much for it to be used for drugs. I believe it's all Monero now

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There is literally a 'coin' called PonziCoin lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

you forgot that it has no fees*

*fees are actually very high

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm glad that I perfectly understand bitcoin and have refused to buy in at any point. Even if I could have made a profit, I don't want to take advantage of others.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
transactions are actually cheap now, since the crash has deflated the hype quite a bit

still slow though

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm glad that I perfectly understand bitcoin and have refused to buy in at any point. Even if I could have made a profit, I don't want to take advantage of others.

Living as a human in a capitalist world necessitates taking advantage of others

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My Linux Rig posted:

Yes but it doesn't have to also be a zero-sum endeavor.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

living in capitalism does not give you a fatalist free license to act like a monster

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's immorality at a distance, which is important to the butters. Gives them a clean conscience when they buy snuff films.

My Linux Rig posted:

Maximizing your efficiency at it makes you inhuman though?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Misc posted:

living in capitalism does not give you a fatalist free license to act like a monster

Yeah, it has to profitable enough first.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Misc posted:

Yeah it does

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah it does

oh, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not a capitalist and although my cushy lifestyle is surely based off capitalism and slavery, I'm not going to actively increase the suffering in the world by trying to get one over on a fellow idiot.