Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Fixed to make it more accurate. :smith:

You missed the stage direction of

*Fritz pumps shitloads of painkillers into Kerry*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The story I heard was that somebody bet him he couldn't walk on the foot that the Doctor told him not to walk on.

:sigh:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kerry was enough of a flake that neither of the stories about why he lost his foot are hard to believe. I remember reading about when Joel Goodhart was running those shirt-losing supershows that pre-dated ECW in Philly, he'd bring in a lot of 80's stars like Abby, Mark Lewin, Buddy Landell, Orndorff, Lawler, Bam Bam, etc.. Well, at one point he was using Nancy Sullivan as a heel manager, and I guess she promised to bring a surprise opponent for someone, I wanna say Lawler. Mystery opponent came out in a mask, but Von Erich being stoned out of his mind stops during his entrance and goes to get his ring jacket which has Von Erich on the back in glitter letters. Supposedly this was NOT the plan (the original plan was supposed to be a DQ when his opponent unmasked him, or something like that, my details are fuzzy). This blows the surprise completely, and apparently Nancy chewed him out hard afterwards backstage.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kerry was enough of a flake that neither of the stories about why he lost his foot are hard to believe. I remember reading about when Joel Goodhart was running those shirt-losing supershows that pre-dated ECW in Philly, he'd bring in a lot of 80's stars like Abby, Mark Lewin, Buddy Landell, Orndorff, Lawler, Bam Bam, etc.. Well, at one point he was using Nancy Sullivan as a heel manager, and I guess she promised to bring a surprise opponent for someone, I wanna say Lawler. Mystery opponent came out in a mask, but Von Erich being stoned out of his mind stops during his entrance and goes to get his ring jacket which has Von Erich on the back in glitter letters. Supposedly this was NOT the plan (the original plan was supposed to be a DQ when his opponent unmasked him, or something like that, my details are fuzzy). This blows the surprise completely, and apparently Nancy chewed him out hard afterwards backstage.

I actually remember just reading about this in the ECW book.

Also on Rene Goulet, I do have to admit I loved how OSW started calling him Worzel Gummidge; admittedly my only exposure to that show was because John Pertwee played the titular character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rarity posted:

Heenan says that Tornado has his “head in the clouds” so he doesn't have his “feet on the ground”

Think this is a dig?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Davros1 posted:

Perfect and Santana also had a really good match on Saturday Night's Main Event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8UzO_ZqBOM

Yes, this is actually the rematch of the I-C Title Finals, and is far, far superior to the first. (So why didn't they just this do one in the first place?)

EDIT: Just checked, and this match was actually rated 4 stars by Meltzer--the ONLY WWF match that year to get 4* or higher.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 26, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Perfect was clearly implanted with magnets at birth in a terrible plot to send him flying toward ringposts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

Perfect and Santana also had a really good match on Saturday Night's Main Event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8UzO_ZqBOM

This was pretty all right, thanks :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's lots of questions and only one shambling corpse capable of getting the answers. Zombie Mean Gene has tracked down Dusty Rhodes to solve this conundrum but not even Dusty knows where Sapphire has got to. He explains that they got to the arena but then she disappeared ten minutes after they arrived. He's looked all over for her and there's no sign so now he's getting worried. Hacksaw Jim Duggan wanders in for a few moments to update Dusty on the search then goes back to looking. You know, it makes a lot of sense for those two dudes to be friends.

Dusty, wondering whether to go Indian or Italian tonight

But wait, Dusty's about to add a whole new wrinkle to this mystery. He reminds us that in the proceeding weeks Sapphire has been receiving a number of lavish gifts from a secret admirer and this has got him very concerned. Ooh, intrigue! She's been getting fancy jewellery and a new car and she's really happy with all these gifts. You know, you're kinda wrecking this whole 'common man' gimmick here, Sapphire. Kayfabe's not dead. Dusty can't stay still any longer so he goes back to the hunt as Zombie Mean Gene remembers that Sapphire was expecting to receive the biggest gift of all tonight. So... maybe Sherri didn't attack her? But she probably still did. I'm not entirely sure what's happening here.

The Warlord w/ Slick vs. Tito Santana

At WM6 we saw Tito job to one half of the Powers of Pain so it only makes sense that he complete the streak by going up against the other one. Now while we're all very sad that Jesse is no longer with us I guess this is the one man who's going to be happy now that he's no longer going to the brunt of anti-Hispanic racism from commentary. Piper makes a point to draw attention to this new era of enlightenment by promising not to call Tito a “bean eater” even though he does have a lot of gas. The bell rings and the Warlord throws Tito into a corner. Piper suggests that he should eat a taco. WELL THAT DIDN'T LAST LONG.

Man, this split from the Powers has not done the Warlord any favours in the gimmick department. What is he even meant to be now? In his shiny plastic entrance gear he looks like a reject from a sci-fi convention and in his ring gear he just looks like someone enlarged Steve Austin by about 40%. He's got the Create-A-Wrestler look down pat. He's not doing too well in the match either. Tito connects with a series of dropkicks then the Warlord catches his attempt at a hurracanrana but Tito turns it into a senton.

I loved your match against Akio Man

I've reached a decision on Piper as a commentator and the verdict is a thumbs up. I loved Jesse, don't get me wrong, but there were times when he got far too aggressive with Gino and Piper's got this chill vibe too him where he's happy to sit and throw snark without being too invested in results. The fight spills to the outside where the Warlord shoves Tito into the ringpost. Sensing an opportunity Slick stalks over with his shoe in hand but sadly the ref spots him and prevents us from seeing the image of Tito getting thwapped with a size 9 brogue.

This match is really not good, by the way. Now that he's exposed in singles action it's clear that the Warlord was not the workhorse of the Powers. He wouldn't be out of place in Demolition, if you know what I mean. Tito nails the Flying Forearm but the Warlord gets his foot on the ropes so Tito goes for a monkey flip. However, the Warlord shrugs him off and replies with the Running Powerslam for the win. Someone in the world a young Braun Strowman screams at his television. As the Warlord celebrates Piper says “Wham, bam, Summerslam.” I take back everything I said in the previous paragraph.

This was a chore to watch and I'm not filled with confidence for the Warlord's solo run. I have no idea what the logic was behind splitting up the Powers cause I really don't see a place for either of them as singles competitors. While they weren't exactly setting the world on fire as a tag team they had a clear function and a clear purpose. I thought splitting up tag teams for no reason started in the 21st century but I guess I was wrong.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICTION

Vince McMahon: “That will be a force to be reckoned with in weeks to come”

Didn't I see you getting your rear end kicked by the Power Rangers?

We might be in the middle of a heatwave now but Thanksgiving isn't far away and that can only mean one thing: Survivor Series, baby! Join me for a collection of tedious 30-minute matches full of gently caress finishes, coming soon.

In the back Mooney is catching up with Demolition and as we're about to see there's been some seismic shifts in the tag division since WM6. For starters, Demolition have flipped sides and they're heels again but even more shocking than that, it looks like Smash has gone through mitosis because they've picked up a third member!

quote:

INTRODUCING...

Here we may know him as Crush but later on this man will go by the name of Bryan Adams in WCW as one half of Kronik. And friends, I have a confession to make. When I was but a young innocent Rarity first getting into wrestling during the dying days of WCW I was a Kronik mark. I swear I didn't know any better! I fell in with a bad crowd! I promise you those days are long behind me, I watched a number of cruiserweight matches as penitence.

But seriously, looking back on those halcyon days it's obvious Bryan Adams was not a good wrestler. And that's after over a decade of in-ring experience for the biggest federations in the country. Looking at him here in the days of his youth I figure it can only be worse. Although they have paired him up with Ax and Smash so who knows, maybe they'll make him look like a million bucks in comparison.

Now that Demolition are a trio they defend their Tag Team titles with the Freebird rule! Aw yeah, loving love the Freebird rule. However, they're not going to be revealing which two men are going to be in the ring tonight because that way the Harts aren't ready. Wow, Demolition are suddenly being strategic, where did that come from? Mooney changes tack to ask them about if they're worried about THE LEGION OF DOOM! Oh poo poo, they've arrived! I have a feeling that things are about to get crazy. Crush says that LOD are “imposters”. Come on mate, we all know Demolition were a rip-off act in the first place and you've got the least right of any of them to talk. I'm really glad to see that Demolition are heels again. Their limited ring ability is so much more suited to working heel.

Meanwhile, Zombie Mean Gene is with the Hart Foundation who have sourced some loving rad jackets for the occasion. Bret says that it's been confusing for them to not know who they'll face but Anvil's not concerned because he doesn't get paid to think and when gets into the ring he doesn't care. Hehe, I know that Bret goes on to greatness but I just love Anvil's big happy dumb fightman thing so much. Bret reckons that they'll make flatliners out of Ax and Crush and Anvil thinks they'll be needing pacemakers by the truckload. Um, I'm not sure that's how pacemakers work but sure. Bret decides this is the time to bust out a Phil Collins lyric and quotes that they'll be “two hearts beating as one”. Welp, there goes five years of coolness cred out the window.

Although the jacket does just about make up for it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Fun fact, Warlord was Batista's favorite wrestler growing up and inspired him to do the wrestling thing. The more you know

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Warlord was also in my favorite match of all-time, but Rarity will get to that eventually.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh yeah, he was a weird one in that he was usually a roided up lunk, but he could also pull *really* good matches out of his rear end and you'd never quite know when.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Don't apologize for liking KroniK, Rarity. I know it's en vogue making GBS threads on them, but them murdering guys with the double chokeslam was great and all that mattered about them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Kronik. :shrug: Sometimes I just wanna see giant jacked up dudes battlin' each other. (Which might explain why the Road Warriors are my favorite tag team ever)

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rarity posted:

Bret decides this is the time to bust out a Phil Collins lyric and quotes that they'll be “two hearts beating as one”. Welp, there goes five years of coolness cred out the window.

Huh, that reminds me of when the Ultimate Warrior finally met his most fearsome and challenging foe

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I love that Jim has little anvils on his jacket sleeves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Kronik were cool. They had lasers in their entrance before EVIL made it cool, and their finisher and team name were such blatant weed references I'm amazed they made on to not just WCW TV, but WWE TV with them.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Do not even ask posted:

Huh, that reminds me of when the Ultimate Warrior finally met his most fearsome and challenging foe

What's crazy about that is him busting out moves there that I've never seen him do otherwise

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those Hart Foundation jackets are the goddamn best.

frankenfreak posted:

Don't apologize for liking KroniK, Rarity. I know it's en vogue making GBS threads on them, but them murdering guys with the double chokeslam was great and all that mattered about them.

I dug Kronik too. Going back and rewatching it's astonishing because they were always awful, but at the time I really enjoyed them and have no good excuse why.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

So now that LOD are here, they were the other "Warriors" that Vince McMahon felt he had to rename so as to avoid confusion with the Ultimate Warrior. At least in their case, the Road Warriors used to be a part of a stable called The Legion of Doom in Georgia, with Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy and The Spoiler, who I don't think has been on any of these PPVs but used to be a big name in Canada.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jason Sextro posted:

At least in their case, the Road Warriors used to be a part of a stable called The Legion of Doom in Georgia, with Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy and The Spoiler, who I don't think has been on any of these PPVs but used to be a big name in Canada.

Goddamn it. MODS?!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

So now that LOD are here, they were the other "Warriors" that Vince McMahon felt he had to rename so as to avoid confusion with the Ultimate Warrior. At least in their case, the Road Warriors used to be a part of a stable called The Legion of Doom in Georgia, with Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy and The Spoiler, who I don't think has been on any of these PPVs but used to be a big name in Canada.

I just listened to Animal's interview on Colt Cabana's podcast. According to him, when Vince told them they couldn't go by The Road Warriors, they suggested Legion of Doom. Then later Vince was mad when he found out they owned the rights to the name. He also talked about how they got the name Legion of Doom when an episode of Superfriends happened to be on TV while they were trying to come up with a name.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Takuan posted:

I just listened to Animal's interview on Colt Cabana's podcast. According to him, when Vince told them they couldn't go by The Road Warriors, they suggested Legion of Doom. Then later Vince was mad when he found out they owned the rights to the name. He also talked about how they got the name Legion of Doom when an episode of Superfriends happened to be on TV while they were trying to come up with a name.

It's pretty funny to me how their inspiration is basically, "Yes, father! I shall become a bat!" while watching a Batman cartoon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tag Team Title 2 out of 3 Falls Match
The Hart Foundation vs. Demolition

You know what, I'm actually pretty up for this. Last time it happened it was all right, certainly the best Demolition match we've had to date. This time we've got Demolition as the heels plus as they come out we see they're being repped by Smash and Crush which means Ax is nowhere in sight so maybe it'll be even better. The Harts are out as well and god drat, they look so loving cool. It's like you're about to get your rear end kicked by Sgt. Pepper.

SIGN OF THE NIGHT

I will always mark for sign wordplay

The bell rings and the Harts start out with a double elbow to Smash. Bret's the legal man and he goes on a nice technical start with some decent chain wrestling. He goes for a crossbody on Crush but he gets caught and Crush just slings him aside. The match breaks down as both men from Demolition rush Bret but he fights them off and nails a Manhattan drop on Smash. We go into a series now as Bret follows with a Russian legsweep, a backbreaker and a second rope elbow drop. Is this our first sighting of the Five Moves of Doom? Well, Four Moves of Doom so far I guess. He's still working on the fifth one. Crush makes the save for his buddy and Demolition hit the Decapitation Device to take the first fall.

Unlike the last time we saw a 2 out of 3 falls match at Royal Rumble '88 we're not wasting time with any ad breaks or interviews. No, we're right back into the action with Demolition keeping up the pressure with a sustained beatdown on Bret. However, Bret gets some headway with a clothesline to Smash and he goes for the tag but Smash grabs him and Crush holds onto Smash to keep him tied up. Hehehe, that's so clever. Unfortunately for Demolition the ref spots this and he kicks Crush's hand off of Smash allowing Bret to make the hot tag. Haha, the ref ain't taking your poo poo, Crush!

Anvil comes in like a freight train and runs roughshod over Smash, taking him out with a big powerslam. The Harts hit the Hart Attack and the ref starts counting the pin so Crush runs in and jumps on... the referee? What? Ok sure, it means that you stopped him from counting the pin but you just got disqualified for attacking the ref so what was the point of that? Crush, you absolute loving idiot. Bret was literally a foot to the left!

This is what we in the business call A Bad Plan

While everyone is getting set for the final fall Demolition knock Bret out of the ring. Anvil goes over to check on him and hang onto your hats, friends. This can only mean one thing, it's shenanigans time! Sure enough while everyone is distracted Ax runs out from the back and hides underneath the ring. Say hello to Hornswoggle while you're down there! Vince is outraged but Piper tries to argue that he isn't at ringside because underneath the ring instead. That's not flying in a court of law and you know it.

While Ax is hiding out playing silly buggers unbeknownst to the Harts the match continues irregardless. Anvil whips Bret into Smash but Smash dodges so Bret runs up the turnbuckle while Smash turns around into a shoulder tackle from Anvil. Ooh, beautiful spot. Anvil follows up with that reverse powerslam to Bret on top of Smash, a move which still looks completely bizarre to me. But just as the Harts are building up steam Smash rolls out of the ring and Ax comes in for a little bit of... TWIN MAGIC?!?!

ARE YOU loving SERIOUS?

Ax comes into the ring and starts beating on Bret and acts like everything is cool and normal BUT THEY DON'T LOOK ANYTHING ALIKE. The ref is right there and he's looking at Ax AND HE'S ACTING LIKE EVERYTHING IS FINE. What the gently caress, ref? What, you think Smash got himself a haircut while he was outside the ring? Look, this isn't exactly complicated here. It's not like these two dudes are identical twins. Here, I'll give you a clue.

Smash!

NOT SMASH!

Oh my god, I can't even deal with this. So Ax beats on Smash and then Crush and Anvil come in and no one's even bothering to tag any more. This has all gone to hell in a handbasket. poo poo breaks down and Smash comes back out to double team with Ax on Bret on the outside while the ref is distracted. Ax hides himself once more but he might as well have stuck around cause this ref is so bad he probably wouldn't have even noticed the extra man. Either way, this has turned into a giant clusterfuck and the Harts are getting their asses kicked but then the crowd start going absolutely mental.

Does it mean...

Could it be...

IT COULD!

quote:

INTRODUCING...

Oh boy, as good ol' J.R. would say business is picking up. In over thirty years of WWE history there are very few teams who inspire such butt-clenching awe and terror from their sheer arrival. You see them and you know that poo poo is about to get real. Hell, they even have that impact on me and all I know of LOD is their embarrassing run at the start of the Attitude Era. I think the first time I ever saw Hawk was a video clip of him falling off the Tron. Back then I didn't understand the history of the legacy and I thought these guys were a couple of slapstick goobers. As first impressions go it doesn't get much worse. The fact that they've managed to overcome that just based on how other people talk about them says a lot.

This isn't the Attitude Era. This is the start of the 90s and these guys are at the height of their powers. This is the LOD that I've only ever heard about. I am so, so ready to see what all the fuss is about. I don't even care that they're clearly about to fall into a feud with Demolition because that it was always inevitable and I've spent the last three years worth of shows wanting LOD to show up to kick that blatant bargain bin sweatshop version back to where they came from. Ohhhh, what a rush.

Yes indeedy, Legion of Doom walk out to make their debut in the timeline and they drag Ax from under the ring to kick his rear end, finding the time to save Bret from Smash as well. In the ring, Anvil connects with a springboard shoulder tackle to Crush who staggers back to where Bret is waiting to trip him up and that is your lot. THE HARTS ARE YOUR NEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! It's about loving time.

I have such mixed feelings about this match and I can't work out whether it was awesome or terrible but I can say with certainty that it wasn't boring. In terms of ringwork it was the best match Demolition have ever had so well done to them for that. Then you've got the images of LOD walking up the entrance and the Harts lifting the belts and those are big moments right there. Big loving moments. But then you've also got one of the most ridiculous bits of booking I have ever seen that just made everyone involved look really dumb and it ruins everything else around it. I'm not going to forget it for a while, I think that's the best praise I can give it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Demolition's second heel theme was great, but completely unsuited to them. This doesn't really touch on anything Rarity's mentioned but I keep thinking it was better off with some other team instead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rarity posted:

Bret decides this is the time to bust out a Phil Collins lyric and quotes that they'll be “two hearts beating as one”.

I have a weird feeling this was supposed to be a pun. Two Harts beating (Demolition up) as one. :haw:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Around the time Rarity talks about WrestleMania 7, she really needs to track down a working Wrestlefest machine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I MIXED UP MY PACING SO HAVE A SHORT ENTRY TO GET BACK ON TRACK

---

It's the height of summer now but don't forget your plans for Wrestlemania season come spring time. The WWF wrestlers sure aren't as we get an advert showcasing them travelling to Los Angeles in preparation. Um lads, you know you've got a bunch of other shows to put on between now and then, right?

I have so many questions about this picture

We can't ignore the fallout from this one and luckily for us Zombie Mean Gene is on the case, having tracked down LOD. He tells them that he'd “hate to be an incumbent” but Animal hopes that Demolition are mad because they've been ignoring LOD. Hawk adds that when you look up 'roughshod' in the dictionary you see a picture of LOD. I'm not sure what's so good about being a non-slip horseshoe, buddy. The Harts show up in a jubilant mood and declare that they'll take on any team at any time. Somewhere in the world a young Crash Holly rubs his hands together with glee. Zombie Mean Gene asks how LOD fit into the title picture and Hawk declares they fit in any way they like. Then he starts stroking Anvil's beard. Man, first Warrior now Hawk. That thing is like a beacon for coked-up hosses.

Meanwhile, Mooney has drawn the poo poo job once again because he's stuck outside Demolition's dressing room where they are sounding rowdy as hell. He keeps on knocking but they won't let him in and when he tries to push the door open they slam it in his face. Mooney lets us know that he can hear Demolition are blaming LOD for their title loss. Yep, we're doing this.

“Mum said I could have been an astronaut. Why didn't I listen to her?”

Settle in friends, we've reached the interview marathon portion of tonight's show. Zombie Mean Gene is now with Sherri to talk about her earlier victory. Sherri says she's so good that she intimidated Sapphire into not turning up which means she gets to gloat as much as she likes. Zombie Mean Gene muses that something strange is going on and that just makes Sherri cackle like a witch. Because she attack Sapphire in the back earlier, clearly. Sherri calls Sapphire a UFO and laughs even more. Zombie Mean Gene thinks there's nothing funny about a missing person and Sherri is scandalised at the accusation! Scandalised! Because “I said she was missing, I didn't say nothing about her being a person”. Ahahahahaha, pack it up guys. Nobody's beating that line.

You know what, I don't think I've been entirely clear on this in recent shows but somehow over the last year Sherri has gone from being rubbish to being disturbing to being absolute loving gold. Seriously, she has done so much with her character over the last year and she's really won me over. The amount of dedication she has for being this total weirdo is amazing and these days every time she's on camera she's doing something hilarious. She's now right up there with Rude and Hennig for me as one of the people I'm specifically watching the show for.

She's an absolute delight

Time for an intermission! Don't go too far away, we'll be back before you know it!

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
You haven't even seen Sherri's best work yet.

She was awarded WON's Best Manager of the Year for 1991 for good reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
didn't Sapphire place pretty highly in Worst manager in 1990? God Sapphire was bad

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shiki Dan posted:

You haven't even seen Sherri's best work yet.

She was awarded WON's Best Manager of the Year for 1991 for good reason.

Good to know.

When they gave Sherri a shoutout during the women's Rumble I got all warm and fuzzy inside :unsmith:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

didn't Sapphire place pretty highly in Worst manager in 1990? God Sapphire was bad

Godammit Cole, you forgot Sapphire's shoutout though :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We return to Zombie Mean Gene who runs us through the rest of the card. The next match will be Bad News Brown taking on Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Bad News has brought some back up along to help out with Damien in the form of New York sewer rats. We get a quick look at them and I'm not sure how much help they'll be cause they look like they've already died. Meanwhile Damien has been prepping for this match by... having a shower? Interesting match prep you've got there, Damien.

Bad News has never looked better if you ask me

As if there wasn't enough going on with this match already it's also going to be guest refereed by Big Bossman. He shows up to talk to Zombie Mean Gene and gently caress me, he has shrunk down something fierce. What the hell happened, dude? It looks like someone's stuck a pin in you and you've deflated like a balloon. Bossman says he'll uphold the law tonight and he's not afraid of snakes because he's been dealing with them in his job his whole life. He's not afraid of things that come out of sewers either. Wow, I seriously cannot get over how much he's trimmed down. Good going, Bossman.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Big Bossman: “It's a sleazy, slimy job”

We switch off to Mooney who is about to showcase a startling transformation because he's with Hacksaw Jim Duggan and his new best friend... NIKOLAI VOLKOFF?! What the hell? Volkoff's carrying the American flag so I guess someone brought him a pair of Nikes cause Volkoff is now embracing capitalism hard. You loving traitor. Mooney mentions the rising tensions in Iraq which is like a big flashing warning sign for where things in WWF are headed. Hacksaw is proud to have Volkoff as a brother while Volkoff now loves America and also loves Hacksaw, who is now his idol. Jesus, what they have done to you. Volkoff names their team American Express “and don't leave home without it”.

Kids, this is what happens when you get involved with capitalism

Zombie Mean Gene is now with Earthquake along with Dino Bravo and Jimmy Hart who calls Earthquake “the only natural disaster in the WWF”. Dude, we saw the Texas Tornado not half an hour ago. Earthquake is bouncing up and down and he says the last time he fought Hulk Hogan they had to take Hulk out on a stretcher and all the Hulkamaniacs cried. He's still bouncing. Tonight there'll be stretchers at ringside for both Hulk and Bossman, who's in Hulk's corner for god knows what reason. He's still bouncing! Dino's going to take care of Bossman and Jimmy says that we'll see simultaneous stretcher jobs. Earthquake tells us to call the Red Cross. HE'S STILL BOUNCING! Man, that was distracting as hell.

Speaking of distracting, Mooney is now with Jake who has brought Damien along to this interview and Damien is doing everything he can to take all the attention. He's basically wrapping himself around Jake's head and Jake keeps having to pull him off. Hehe, you're such a camera whore, Damien. Anyway, Jake isn't afraid of rats and he thinks it's going to come down to hunger because “that's what separates a man like me from a mouse like you”. I'm really starting to dig Jake's low-key promo style. It's so fitting for his character.

Here we see Jake modelling Tommy Hilfiger's Fall 1990 collection

Bad News Brown vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts
Special Guest Referee: Big Bossman

Ok, I really don't get why Bossman is involved with this one. He feels so extraneous to what's going on here and it's not like they needed to fit him on the card because he's meant to be showing up later as well. As if to emphasise how irrelevant he is to proceedings he's not even bothered to wear a ref shirt. For shame, Bossman.

The bell rings and Jake goes for the DDT right off the back but Bad News slips out and rolls to the outside for safety. On commentary, Piper lets on that he's cheering for Jake here which is a nice bit of continuity based on the fact Piper was having issues with Bad News just a few months ago at WM6. Bad News gets Jake pinned to the mat for a two count which Bossman announces by flipping him the bird. Hehehe.

Bad News is getting frustrated now and he reacts the only way he knows how, by getting a chair and nailing Jake with it right in the gut. Bossman sees it and lets it fly and I'd be upset but he clearly gives no shits for this refereeing lark so it's only to be expected, really. Bad News whips Jake into the corner but he just tells Bad News to get hosed. Haha, I'm sensing a certain raggedness from all parties to be honest. Bad News whiffs a second rope fist drop and Jake responds with...

THE RAINMAAAAAAAKERRRRRR

Jake goes for the DDT but Bad News reverses it into a back body drop. In a great bit of commentary work Piper explains that Bad News has oiled up his head to so that Jake can't use the DDT. That's some really smart thinking and really gets over the idea of wrestling as a professional sport. Seeing as it worked so well the first time Bad News smacks Jake with a chair again and this time he gets DQd. Oh, so now you care, Bossman? For gently caress sake.

So despite having nobody else to blame for his loss Bad News is mad and he tries to take his rage out Damien with a leg drop but luckily Bossman grabs him away. Otherwise we'd end up with PETA going to war with WWF and nobody needs to see the parody stable Vince would invent for that blood feud. Bad News refuses to fight Bossman – or as Piper calls him “Bosoman” - but then ambushes him from behind. Jake grabs Damien to come the rescue and Bad News freak the gently caress out as he bails from the ring. Boy, those sewer rats really were worth the price of admission, weren't they?

I thought you were meant to be scared of snakes

So the finish to this match was dire but the rest of it was just about ok, which is saying a lot for a Bad News match. He's one of those guys who's been low-key sucking for years and it's not been noticeable because of all the people who are even worse but now he's starting to really come to the fore as one of the most useless parts of every show. Still, Jake managed to get something acceptable out of him and I'm gonna give him a lot of credit for that. I know I'm coming late to the party here but I feel like Jake is finally clicking for me. I wouldn't say I love him like the fans at the time did but I'm getting a fair sense of his value at last.

Addendum: Well, what do you know? No sooner is Bad News stepping up on my radar as a proper suckhole than we're waving an unceremonious goodbye. This is indeed his last PPV appearance and it couldn't have come at a better time. He sucked in the ring, he never did anything important and his matches went to a gently caress finish every single time. They really are doing a great job this year of clearing out all the real lovely wrestlers that drag the product down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Volkoff STILL has the soviet flag on his jacket anyway, just with the US Flag now accompanying it :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I love how Earthquake was never able to loving hold still in an interview. He was just so goddamn excited to hospitalize people

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Addendum: Well, what do you know? No sooner is Bad News stepping up on my radar as a proper suckhole than we're waving an unceremonious goodbye. This is indeed his last PPV appearance and it couldn't have come at a better time. He sucked in the ring, he never did anything important and his matches went to a gently caress finish every single time. They really are doing a great job this year of clearing out all the real lovely wrestlers that drag the product down.

While Summerslam was Bad News' last PPV appearance, he was originally intended to be at the next one. Early on, he was announced as a member of Ted Dibiase's Survivor Series team and there's even promotional pics of him on the team. Then he quit WWF and they needed to figure out who would take his spot. But a no-nonsense major heel who rarely ever truly loses? Who could you get to replace him...?

In other bad news, Bad News would go on to wrestle a match where Andre pooped all over him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bad News and Andre had a complex relationship. You call me a racial slur, I pull a gun on you, you poop on me, etc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

I love how Earthquake was never able to loving hold still in an interview. He was just so goddamn excited to hospitalize people

If only he brought this level of energy to his ringwork :(

Gavok posted:

In other bad news, Bad News would go on to wrestle a match where Andre pooped all over him.

Do I... Do I really want to know? :gonk:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

If only he brought this level of energy to his ringwork :(

Do I... Do I really want to know? :gonk:

What? Earthquake was fine in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015