Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sorry for the scrub question, but what do you do with dough accidentally made with yeast that is basically dread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Throw it away.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'd probably make some terrible pizza with it or some bone hard flatbread shards to scoop up salsa.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This loaf is ferocious. I'm getting like 1.5x in half an hour. I just moved it to a colder spot so I don't kill my yeast.

10% rye, 15% sprouted rye berries, 100% white whole wheat, 5% vital wheat gluten, 5% dough conditioner, about 2.5 tablespoons total of cardamom, star anise, fennel seed, caraway. 25% milk (dry + water), 50% water, 5% oil, and obviously some sugar and salt.

It was only one night of prefermenting, but apparently this batch of flour has lots of yeast, because the biga was much bigger than I expect for an overnight preferment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Stringent posted:

Throw it away.

Yep, that's what I guessed. I don't think I want bad pizza right now.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Great part about bread is the ingredients don't cost hardly anything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This loaf is ferocious. I'm getting like 1.5x in half an hour. I just moved it to a colder spot so I don't kill my yeast.

10% rye, 15% sprouted rye berries, 100% white whole wheat, 5% vital wheat gluten, 5% dough conditioner, about 2.5 tablespoons total of cardamom, star anise, fennel seed, caraway. 25% milk (dry + water), 50% water, 5% oil, and obviously some sugar and salt.

It was only one night of prefermenting, but apparently this batch of flour has lots of yeast, because the biga was much bigger than I expect for an overnight preferment.

when you integrate your biga with the mixer do you cube it up or what?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sorry for the scrub question, but what do you do with dough accidentally made with yeast that is basically dread?

I like to compost it since I chuck quite a bit of otherwise delicious and nutritious sourdough starter. It's got what plants crave.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I went out and got some yeast that hadn't expired 2 years ago.

That's 4/5ths strong white and 1/5th rye wholemeal because the recipe asked for wholemeal and that was the only one I'd got. It also asked for 3/4 Oz of sea or rock salt, so I gave it 14g of table, which was a big mistake. It's also a bit crunchier than I'd like, which I guess is just leaving it in the oven too long?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
So I made an Excel sheet. It has two tabs, one for grams to scaling and one for scaling to grams. Input your target weight and hydration, then you can add ingredients by gram (first tab) and it'll tell you how far along you're coming/what the scaling of each ingredient is; or you can add ingredients by scaling and it'll give you the correct weight for each ingredient.

If there are any other features people can think of to add, let me know and I can probably add them. As it stands, this is as far as I know the most useful and complete bread software outside of Panadero, which is sadly mobile-only.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Al8JquS-ltaw2BfRKpIgJQaACgiv

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

So I made an Excel sheet. It has two tabs, one for grams to scaling and one for scaling to grams. Input your target weight and hydration, then you can add ingredients by gram (first tab) and it'll tell you how far along you're coming/what the scaling of each ingredient is; or you can add ingredients by scaling and it'll give you the correct weight for each ingredient.

If there are any other features people can think of to add, let me know and I can probably add them. As it stands, this is as far as I know the most useful and complete bread software outside of Panadero, which is sadly mobile-only.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Al8JquS-ltaw2BfRKpIgJQaACgiv

This is neat, thank you. I've used brdclc for this and it generally works pretty well but makes some assumptions i.e. that your preferment is at 100% hydration which may not work for everyone.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got a recommendation on how to store a sack of flour? I don't want to leave it in the bag because I make a mess out of small bags of flour. I was thinking just a bucket with a screw-on lid to keep pets and weevils out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been sick and I haven't made any bread lately and it makes me sad.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

there wolf posted:

Anyone got a recommendation on how to store a sack of flour? I don't want to leave it in the bag because I make a mess out of small bags of flour. I was thinking just a bucket with a screw-on lid to keep pets and weevils out.

How big a sack? I used 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids, they fit 25lb bags perfectly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cambros also work well, but 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids are also great. I personally use cambros.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cambros also work well, but 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids are also great. I personally use cambros.

This is what I got! I am very excited about the lid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

My next loaf:

e: thinking of adding some spelt. I'm all out of buckwheat, unfortunately.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 30, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

there wolf posted:

My wife uses these for storage of various types of flour, and they work quite nicely. I guess it depends on how much flour you're looking to store.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you don't care about how they look most grocery store bakeries will have food safe buckets of varying sizes that they would otherwise be throwing out.
It's worth a shot inquiring if you can take some empties off their hands.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
is it OK to ask about bread machines here?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

is it OK to ask about bread machines here?

Most definitely!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Well my first no-knead bread, with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, is done and I'm really satisfied with how it turned out. It's a bit more moist than I expected but the taste is amazing and looks soooo good. Definitely going to do this again.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
I mixed dough to autolyse (ie no salt or yeast added yet) and then remembered that I had somewhere to be. Will unleavened dough survive in the fridge overnight to be used for bread (providing I can warm it back up again) or should I throw it away?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

pantsfree posted:

I mixed dough to autolyse (ie no salt or yeast added yet) and then remembered that I had somewhere to be. Will unleavened dough survive in the fridge overnight to be used for bread (providing I can warm it back up again) or should I throw it away?

I would instead add your yeast right now (like half as much as normal) and salt and throw it in the fridge, or if you have an hour to kill, put your yeast (again, half as much as normal) and salt in, mix it up, let it sit an hour, and then refrigerate it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
OK, so my (newly purchased second hand) bread machine has a bunch of recipes in the instruction book but more or less ALL of them include powdered milk. I don't eat dairy, but I know bread machine recipes are super sensitive in terms of quantities and stuff. Should I replace the powdered milk with something, or can I just leave it out entirely?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Replace it (by weight) with flour. The resulting bread will be a little less softer, which is not a big deal.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Does anybody have a good, fairly basic dark rye recipe they can share? All the recipes I'm finding online are calling for things like unsweetened cocoa powder and I really don't feel like going to the store today

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

You can just leave out that stuff. The best pumpernickel (and other dark rye breads) all have that stuff because it enhances the flavor of the rye, but you can go without.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
I’m new to this and I’m having a lot of trouble getting any meaningful oven spring with my loaves. I’m making tasty bread, but the loaves are much flatter and have spread more than they should.

I’ve been following the process here: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

It’s a no-knead, fairly high hydration dough made with a levain. I’ve been using v strong white bread flour and stoneground wholemeal.

By the end of bulk rise, the dough is billowy and full of bubbles. I’m as gentle as I can be in shaping into a boule to avoid knocking out much air. I’m not great at shaping but when they’re sitting on the bench they’re holding shape and aren’t collapsing or pancaking.

I’ve been proofing overnight in the fridge and a poke of the dough leaves an indent that slowly bounces back.

What could be wrong? My suspicion is that as it’s cold here, the dough needs longer to develop than I’m giving it, or that the dough is too wet to hold form and I’m not good enough at shaping to counteract this.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Could it be the bread flour? Have you tried using all purpose instead? That bread flour might be a bit too heavy and glutinous.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

pantsfree posted:

I’m new to this and I’m having a lot of trouble getting any meaningful oven spring with my loaves. I’m making tasty bread, but the loaves are much flatter and have spread more than they should.

I’ve been following the process here: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

It’s a no-knead, fairly high hydration dough made with a levain. I’ve been using v strong white bread flour and stoneground wholemeal.

By the end of bulk rise, the dough is billowy and full of bubbles. I’m as gentle as I can be in shaping into a boule to avoid knocking out much air. I’m not great at shaping but when they’re sitting on the bench they’re holding shape and aren’t collapsing or pancaking.

I’ve been proofing overnight in the fridge and a poke of the dough leaves an indent that slowly bounces back.

What could be wrong? My suspicion is that as it’s cold here, the dough needs longer to develop than I’m giving it, or that the dough is too wet to hold form and I’m not good enough at shaping to counteract this.

I've made this recipe 3 times and each time I got great oven spring (check the last couple pages, I posted pics). Did you use regular white bread flour as opposed to the artisan (sprouted grain) bread flour the recipe calls for? I'm also new to breadmaking, so I don't know how/if this substitution would affect the final product, or what I may have done right. What are you baking the loaves in? All I know is that I'm terrible at shaping and it didn't seem to matter in my case. As soon as I tried one of his higher hydration (85%) recipes it all went to hell and I had terrible oven spring, but delicious bread. I really whiffed shaping that time, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Check your oven temp, too, preferably with a thermometer. If your oven's not hot enough, you won't get as much spring.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can just leave out that stuff. The best pumpernickel (and other dark rye breads) all have that stuff because it enhances the flavor of the rye, but you can go without.

I ended up making this one https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe

It tasted great, but unless I screwed up my measurements, I needed more liquid than it called for to get the dough to come together and the bottom was quite under done.

e: and I subbed in dark rye for the pumpernickel

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pantsfree posted:

A photo would help. It doesn't sound like you're under fermenting since you say the dough is full of gas when you shape and you didn't mention any massive irregularities in your crumb. That probably means one of two things. Either you're over proofing (the poke test is wildly unreliable, especially on cold dough) or you're lacking heat and/or steam in your oven.

If the loaves are holding up well enough to shape and not pancake I doubt it's your flour.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The nice thing about dough with mix-ins as a solid third of its weight is that even at high hydration, it's pretty easy to form and handle. If you use the right flour and the right technique, you can get a nice big fluffy loaf.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

spray your loaf before dropping the lid?

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Stringent posted:

A photo would help.

I'm baking in a combo cooker, I haven't been spraying the loaf with water or anything before baking. According to my infrared thermometer, the surface of the combo cooker hits 480 deg f / 250 c when my fairly lovely oven is maxed out.

After proofing overnight, the dough is pretty flat on the top in the banneton. When I (carefully) dump it in to the combo cooker it's almost the same diameter as the skillet. Both of these things lead me to think it's either my lovely shaping, or that my dough is ending up too wet or weak? It doesn't look as stiff or as rounded as the dough shown here post-proofing:

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

It's still delicious, it's just making an ugly flat-ish loaf and I want to do better.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That crumb looks pretty open, and you can't adjust diameter, so... have you tried doing the same thing but in a larger batch? I mean, the extra size has to come from somewhere, and you already have a very airy loaf.

If you actually want those gaping holes (I don't, but to each their own) you can achieve that with very gentle handling of the dough. This video should be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

It's hard to shape very slack dough without deflating it, so just practice I guess. Bread's cheap.

You won't get -that- much extra size, even if you're aiming for pan de cristal texture. Scale up!

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 6, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That bread looks great to me. You may be able to make it higher/smaller diameter with better shaping but the crumb looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pantsfree posted:

I'm baking in a combo cooker, I haven't been spraying the loaf with water or anything before baking. According to my infrared thermometer, the surface of the combo cooker hits 480 deg f / 250 c when my fairly lovely oven is maxed out.

After proofing overnight, the dough is pretty flat on the top in the banneton. When I (carefully) dump it in to the combo cooker it's almost the same diameter as the skillet. Both of these things lead me to think it's either my lovely shaping, or that my dough is ending up too wet or weak? It doesn't look as stiff or as rounded as the dough shown here post-proofing:

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

It's still delicious, it's just making an ugly flat-ish loaf and I want to do better.

Yeah, that's a v nice crumb imo. To get your scores opening a bit more try spraying some water on before it goes in. Also when you're scoring try holding your lame as horizontal to the table as you can. I've found that gives me more curl.

You might also want to try shortening your proof a bit, but really you're in that no man's land between bread and art now so v0v.