Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Truga posted:

it wasn't ever even meant to be a pvp slider but an interaction slider. you set it to co-op, and you get grouped by other people who want to shoot at npcs, you set it to death and get shot by other players.

when i asked what happens if i set it to coop and then shoot players, i never got an answer tho :v:

Ok so the PvP slider is an input to the game's matchmaking system to give it a hint of kind of like who it should be matching you with.
So what happens is, when you fly around in space, you have you know, you're in your view, your universe view, and the server up there is basically looking at where you are and it's looking at everyone else and all their different machines, and then basically seeing where everyone else in the galaxy is and if it feels like there's someone close to you or there's an AI that's close to you, it basically would tell your local client "Ok, this person's close to you," then that person would be streamed into your instance or that AI would be streamed into your instance.
So the PvP slider is essentially an extra variable for the matchmaking criteria. So the matchmaking criteria is on a whole bunch of things. It's on things like ping, obviously we don't want to be putting people together where there's a huge latency. It's on whether who's your friends, who's your enemy, who's your people of interest. Also it would have some level of skill rating in there. So we'll kind of track are you a new player or are you super experienced. And based on that, in most of the areas, because some areas there won't be any, it will be whoever is there verses PvP or not. But if you basically said "Hey I would prefer to have more PvE than PvP," it would give a preference to the AI flying around rather than real player. So if there's an AI pirate and there's a real player pirate, it would drop the AI pirate into your instance to fight if you were more towards PvE than PvP.
You defintiely would get other players streamed into your space that wouldn't be hostile, say maybe a friend of yours or something. So you could definitely get a co-op kind of feeling, and that's going to be an on-going process, but the whole idea of it is: you should be able to fly around in the game and if you wanted that more Privateer/Freelancer experience that's kind of what will happen to you.
It will just be you'll mostly see AI and then if there's other players it will be probably friendly players, or if you're in like certain areas of space where there's no holds barred, it definitely could be an unfriendly player. But you'll sort of know that ok, well those are the dangerous areas. So if you're a new player and you don't really want to be dealing with tough other players, then you probably should avoid those.
I would like to say one other thing, you definitely can have NPCs that are tougher than any player could ever be. It's a computer that runs it, it knows exactly where you are and it can calculate the correct firing solution much better than a player could ever do, so I think it is a bit of a misnomer to think that NPCs aren't necessarily as tough as real players. In some cases, NPCs could be tougher than real players.
But essentially the slider just sort of allows you to effect the kind of people that will stream into your space as you're traveling across the galaxy, and hopefully that will mean if you want to play a more Privateer style game, and be just by yourself, you can have that experience. If you want to play with your friends and co-op against AI, that can happen. But also if you want to mix it up with other players, that will happen too.
And you know, we'll have some other stuff. I mean I know there's always the question where people are always worried that's an exploit if you can change it dynamically, and we're not going to let you change it dynamically as you're flying around.
So it's kind of a setting you have as you fly around, and as I said, there are some areas that are kind of no-holds-barred, and those areas will also have some really cool stuff in, so I'm hoping at some point you'll get brave enough and you get good enough and you'll go to some of these areas to get this one particular kind of weapon that you can't get elsewhere or salvage an alien wreck, but you have to take some risks to get there. So it's a sort of risk-reward basis. So I hope that answered the question on the PvP slider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YDk4oGM6F8

MilesK fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

:gary:

WTFOsaurus isn't happy about the despawning ship changes:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223387934?t=28m49s

Random rants for a good 15 minutes. His org's planned playstyle has been wrecked entirely

Will discuss it more in the RedActed podcast

Someone should tell him that the server exe is on a restart schedule for unavoidable reasons that are well known to folks who work with CryEngine.

So it's only ever going to be a session based game with whatever persistence they can manage using their dodgy hacked in GIM process.

This is all in a dev transcript, the engine server side cannot support any of the gameplay these guys have paid for. The ship stealing is the tip of the iceberg.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

The moment on Saturday when WTFOsaurus found out about the piracy change:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223042709?t=01h39m40s

Nice meltdown

:yarg:

:lol: so good

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Same applies to game code it seems

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

The Titanic posted:

I’m in the same boat. I learned how to create and help, not destroy and harm. Though along the way I’ve learned some things.

Although I can’t see CIG managing PCI compliance so they’re probably using an alternative method where they are not storing the cards themselves (please don’t gently caress that up CIG), and probably just a token to something similar to Stripe.

At one time payments were processed through Stripe, Paypal or Amazon payments. But it's been a couple years ago. Since PCI became a thing anyone who isn't dealing with 6M transactions a year are fools to keep credit card info on their servers anymore.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

Respectfully disagree. I know that depth of gameplay isn't for everyone, but I find it compelling and fun, and there's a segment of gamers who enjoy that kind of minutiae. I played an early access game called Rokh, a Mars survival game. The crafting system is extremely deep, down to smelting, combining chemical elements to produce materials, then building solar panels out of them, different metals with different melting points, conductivities, tools with different hardness/density, etc. I loved it, spent hours crafting and experimenting.

It's important to understand the impact of a game system on the overall gameplay. Base building is a huge time expenditure. If your base can be raided, the entire game will inevitably focus around securing your base and dealing with raiding. I don't want that in my game, that's not the experience I'm trying to build.

I'm just saying. I do that stuff in real life because I find it compelling and fun. I've built a particle accelerator out of old CRTs. I've smelted metals. Play with chemistry. Make neat automated mad scientist things with arduinos and cobbled together odds and ends. If you're getting into that level of involvement, do it in real life. It's far more rewarding than some game.

Also, I'm seeking security in my dreams.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Honestly this bit about stealing and ships seems a bit hypocritical on CIG's part.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Chris Roberts confirms!!

https://uploadvr.com/star-citizen-will-still-get-vr-support-chris-roberts-confirms/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

Honestly this bit about stealing and ships seems a bit hypocritical on CIG's part.

Yup there was literally no way to see it coming either what with them usually delivering on promises and such

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

It's all pure arrogance and hubris. Those have been the guiding principles of this poo poo-show for as long as anyone can recall. And as been proven time and time again, it's going to continue being their undoing.

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

I read all of that. 10/10. Would read again.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

[Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed]

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

It's all pure arrogance and hubris.

But enough about my posting style

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

That.. what is that? I must have on... ten. I must have ten of that.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MilesK posted:

I recently stole a couple of ping pong balls for my cat to play soccer with. Is there any way I can mocap this?

if you want match the quality of cig footage and the ease that it can be imported into a game engine you will need at least a 2004 vintage camera phone.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Well, I got to the end of the thread before I have to go to longsword classes, now I'm gunna be fukkin late probably lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MilesK posted:

Ok so the PvP slider is an input to the game's matchmaking system to give it a hint of kind of like who it should be matching you with.
So what happens is, when you fly around in space, you have you know, you're in your view, your universe view, and the server up there is basically looking at where you are and it's looking at everyone else and all their different machines, and then basically seeing where everyone else in the galaxy is and if it feels like there's someone close to you or there's an AI that's close to you, it basically would tell your local client "Ok, this person's close to you," then that person would be streamed into your instance or that AI would be streamed into your instance.
So the PvP slider is essentially an extra variable for the matchmaking criteria. So the matchmaking criteria is on a whole bunch of things. It's on things like ping, obviously we don't want to be putting people together where there's a huge latency. It's on whether who's your friends, who's your enemy, who's your people of interest. Also it would have some level of skill rating in there. So we'll kind of track are you a new player or are you super experienced. And based on that, in most of the areas, because some areas there won't be any, it will be whoever is there verses PvP or not. But if you basically said "Hey I would prefer to have more PvE than PvP," it would give a preference to the AI flying around rather than real player. So if there's an AI pirate and there's a real player pirate, it would drop the AI pirate into your instance to fight if you were more towards PvE than PvP.
You defintiely would get other players streamed into your space that wouldn't be hostile, say maybe a friend of yours or something. So you could definitely get a co-op kind of feeling, and that's going to be an on-going process, but the whole idea of it is: you should be able to fly around in the game and if you wanted that more Privateer/Freelancer experience that's kind of what will happen to you.
It will just be you'll mostly see AI and then if there's other players it will be probably friendly players, or if you're in like certain areas of space where there's no holds barred, it definitely could be an unfriendly player. But you'll sort of know that ok, well those are the dangerous areas. So if you're a new player and you don't really want to be dealing with tough other players, then you probably should avoid those.
I would like to say one other thing, you definitely can have NPCs that are tougher than any player could ever be. It's a computer that runs it, it knows exactly where you are and it can calculate the correct firing solution much better than a player could ever do, so I think it is a bit of a misnomer to think that NPCs aren't necessarily as tough as real players. In some cases, NPCs could be tougher than real players.
But essentially the slider just sort of allows you to effect the kind of people that will stream into your space as you're traveling across the galaxy, and hopefully that will mean if you want to play a more Privateer style game, and be just by yourself, you can have that experience. If you want to play with your friends and co-op against AI, that can happen. But also if you want to mix it up with other players, that will happen too.
And you know, we'll have some other stuff. I mean I know there's always the question where people are always worried that's an exploit if you can change it dynamically, and we're not going to let you change it dynamically as you're flying around.
So it's kind of a setting you have as you fly around, and as I said, there are some areas that are kind of no-holds-barred, and those areas will also have some really cool stuff in, so I'm hoping at some point you'll get brave enough and you get good enough and you'll go to some of these areas to get this one particular kind of weapon that you can't get elsewhere or salvage an alien wreck, but you have to take some risks to get there. So it's a sort of risk-reward basis. So I hope that answered the question on the PvP slider.

Welcome to your first day at CIG. We're doing a thing called the PvP slider. Here's your design document. Get to it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

We're through the looking glass here, people.

:stare: Yeah sure amazingly dumb. It should really come as no surprise that CIG is still earning enough to keep the lights on.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

I'm just surmising. Prove me wrong, Bootcha.

Nah, I think they got to him. He was all hyped up and asking for art assets for his next video then POOF! Gone.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Disco Lando getting wrecked on /r/games:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that explains where the $150 million went, to building an ocean mocapping rig

Of course now they're out of money to put any fish or coral underneath it. PLEDGE NOW!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mr.Tophat posted:

Well, I got to the end of the thread before I have to go to longsword classes, now I'm gunna be fukkin late probably lol

I'll see you there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

That people believe this is so very explicit about the condition of Star Citizen reality. It’s in such a bubble of disbelief and crazy nothing is not possible somehow for them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

Yeessssss

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99-xpFtK4o

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Aramoro posted:

CCP change the the dynamics of the economy but not the fundamentals. The whole Jita thing is a detail of how the players have reacted to the mechanics of the economy. The mechanics are fundamentally fine, where they break it is in things like balance issues, making certain ships better than other causing a peak demand in a specific factions materials.

The brutal and unforgiving economy of Eve makes economic warfare possible, and fights over territory have real effects. Star Citizen can only dream of that level of fidelity.

Eve Online and CCP are laughing at SC. Eve will still be around long after this project is dead and gone.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So referral codes are banned from gaming subs and forums, the games press is having a field day laughing at the state of everything, and CIG aren't doing any trade shows this year.

So no promotion for the project in 2018?

Boy they really need to get their whales around a table for a good milking asap.

It's no wonder Lando is off doing damage control and rewriting history amongst the streamers, that's the only promo Star Citizen has left in 2018.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow this is why you hire a "community manager" and don't leave talking to your public backers to a "developer"

...Oops now who put those air quotes there!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Quavers posted:

I thought the post at the top of that chain was the best.

quote:

quote:

Disco Lando: Not for nothing, but the information you won't be able to keep stolen ships indefinitely has been out since November 2017.

Okay, so whilst it's hardly easily-available information, apparently this is already established and it's how things are going.

But, uh...what does that have to do with anything? What difference does it make that it was mentioned in a video in November? Are you not allowed to discuss something two months old? Is November some kind of special month; what happens in November stays in November?

quote:

Currently, it is "probably" possible to land and it "may" be possible to buy a fake ID code. These answers won't be known in a more definitive manner until such time as it comes to design and develop those systems for those "less savory" parts of the Star Citizen universe, and how those systems have to interact with every other game system available at that time."

Oh. Wait. So now despite him saying people should have known that stolen ships aren't something you can keep, it's also not set in stone at all and you "may" be able to buy a fake ID - thereby...keeping the ship, presumably just without an insurance payout/rebuy if it is destroyed.

Well, that clears that up.

quote:

Disco Lando: And has been known publicly for months.

I sure am glad the oddly passive-aggressive community manager of Star Citizen was here to tell us that you definitely can't keep stolen ships long term except for when you maybe can but nothing is certain and that's definitive information you should have known for months unless it changes.

Thanks.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It's ok guys, Capcom has raised $300,000,000 in a couple of days so they can save PC gaming later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7sj2LGBJBU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Hear that Lando? That's the sound of people holding you accountable for the words that come out of your mouth.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:golfclap:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

Wow this is why you hire a "community manager" and don't leave talking to your public backers to a "developer"

...Oops now who put those air quotes there!

Disco Lando has recently been upgraded to Developer.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Hear that Lando? That's the sound of people holding you accountable for the words that come out of your mouth.

I like his take on the quantity of videos they put out.

People are complaining that actual information is hard to find because they are correctly realizing that CIG just shits ink in the water constantly to confuse the situation with thousands of hours of pointless speculation and rambling that gives the appearance of community engagement and the illusion of a huge amount of information.

Community Manager's response:

:smug: I'm sorry if you are having trouble keeping up with all of the information we put out. It's understandable and only human. I have no problem with it though. :smug:

Maybe don't double down on the quantity when your videos are thousands of hours of pointless bullshit that further a scam. The correct course of action to be the least lovely person possible (while still being employed in a scam) would be to focus on whatever actual information was given that is relevant to the current topic of discussion. Not publicly stroke your dick at the sheer size of the harddrive space your videos waste.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well he apparently left while they were still building a company, man. He missed out on the goodness that followed. As Lando puts it:

LANDO:”Every year is a force multiplier for us.”

We agree, Lando. The Force is Stupidity. The source is Chris Roberts. And the Force will be with you. Always.

Do force multipliers triple every second?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

In that Reddit thread, somebody posted that they're probably really annoyed because they thought they sneaked this out back in November, and nobody complained about it. So, they thought it was all good, and they got away with it.

Nobody noticed it before because it was the typical impenetrable word salad, hidden in the last few minutes of an hour video. Now, people actually realized what they are doing, because a dev made a straight forward post about it.

I think that read is totally correct. They're all upset that they got caught, after thinking it had passed.

Cue passive aggressive whining when it comes back 2 months later and they realize they didn't get away with it.

"We talked about it in November, we told you about this, it's been known publicly for months." :cry:

gently caress off, Lando.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

XK posted:

In that Reddit thread, somebody posted that they're probably really annoyed because they thought they sneaked this out back in November, and nobody complained about it. So, they thought it was all good, and they got away with it.

Nobody noticed it before because it was the typical impenetrable word salad, hidden in the last few minutes of an hour video. Now, people actually realized what they are doing, because a dev made a straight forward post about it.

I think that read is totally correct. They're all upset that they got caught, after thinking it had passed.

Cue passive aggressive whining when it comes back 2 months later and they realize they didn't get away with it.

"We talked about it in November, we told you about this, it's been known publicly for months." :cry:

gently caress off, Lando.

:smug: It's not my fault if you can't keep up with the amount of information we put out :smug:
- Giant Tool, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Say refactor again motherfucker, I dare you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

It's all pure arrogance and hubris. Those have been the guiding principles of this poo poo-show for as long as anyone can recall. And as been proven time and time again, it's going to continue being their undoing.

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

No one's going to jail for a video game you nutjob. FFS fully retire already.