Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xaerael posted:

IDGAF if Beet probes me for "Anime", I'm super proud of this paint job that took forever, and I'm showing it everyone before I stuff it on a shelf to get dusty. Also, it's a good example of a better use of time over "playing" Star Citizen.

that's some nice work, but I fail to understand wether you follow the false emperor or have seen the light of chaos and thus are cool and good

e: goddamn taxxeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

that's some nice work, but I fail to understand wether you follow the false emperor or have seen the light of chaos and thus are cool and good

e: goddamn taxxeeee

that better be a catfish :argh:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to spending my gaming time in a space MRI getting treatment for space diseases and space wounds. Then I can file a space medical insurance claim and do space paperwork.

Also I will need to take space medicine with space food every so often.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
That's me in the wheelchair

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dooguk posted:

So flying submarines then?
Stupid game.

gently caress it. Why not? It was good enough for 1964, it's good enough for the BDSSE. The backers will never know anyway.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

his nibs posted:

that better be a catfish :argh:

Crobberts: Ah...uhm....yeah....you see.....with the fau....fauna.....ah..uhm....FISH....there is this....we...ah...ehhh......you get this...uhm.....ocean.....and, yeah, I mean OF COURSE there will be...this...uhm....CAT.....in a sense, like, you...uhm....like you know.....like in Star Wars? Yeah....it's like.....when we...uhm....reach this pledge goal....yaaaah...the fish....I mean....THIS FISH....ah....uhm...there will be this....STAR SYSTEM.....like....we call it....uhm, like....Y'Kat....and there....the..uhm...the FISH....will all be like CATS...you know.....like those you know from that other thing you like? Yeah.....uhm.....we absolutely have that on the...uhm....horizon. Like....we totally wan't to do that....like...NOW....but, yeah....you know....just yeah...........

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Duckaerobics posted:

I think this is the start of them rolling back a lot of promises. Supposedly Star Citizen has very advanced AI. When you log out of the game you have to go to a safe place and save your ship/find a wankpod. If you don't your character becomes AI and travels to the nearest safe space, but could get killed on the way. Remember Star Citizen is going to have very long travel times. It may take that AI hours to get you to a safe place and who knows what could happen. I have read this fantasy several times. It is obvious that 3.0 is Star Citizen. They are going to try to add to it as much as they can, but congratulations citizens this is your game.

This, but your guy tries to find another disconnected commando to have sex with, or rub themselves off while crying in their ship bathroom, making sure it lasts long enough for the players to log in again and scream “what the gently caress Trevor?!” because all commandos are named Trevor.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ha ha ha ha.

Dude posted that solely for the purpose of flinging poo poo at controversial low budget game designer Derek Smart.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

his nibs posted:

That's me in the wheelchair

:five:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

tuo posted:

I think it's established that the Tau are the weebs of the 41st millennium. Therefore xeno scum.

Humanity gently caress yeah.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Trying to work my way through this video.

Q: Will MFD information be exportable to smart devices, tablets, phones, touch screens, etc, and will we allow some control of our ship from these devices?

A: Uh...that's a tricky one. blah blah blah more accessible cockpits blah blah never say never, but it's not in the near future.

Great question, Lando. Good use of senior systems designer Will Maiden, better known as the guy who let everyone know you can't keep stolen ships, and never heard about any of those piracy mechanics Chris spoke of that he is responsible for implementing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't even know why I'm watching this. Is this what they call rock bottom?

Nov 24, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Out of curiosity, why ping pong balls and not a lid?

iospace posted:

probably to keep the stuff you're trying to cook under the surface of the water.

Beet Wagon posted:

Ping pong balls provide an insulating layer without obstructing the flow of steam and/or increasing pressure would be my guess.

It's a cheap and easy "hack" to get a lid to size without cutting a sous vide machine sized hole in the lid of your pot/bucket/etc. Insulates, and reduces evaporation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tortolia posted:

I look forward to spending my gaming time in a space MRI getting treatment for space diseases and space wounds. Then I can file a space medical insurance claim and do space paperwork.

Also I will need to take space medicine with space food every so often.

I'll be the chaotic-evil space radiologist that will read your MRI and give you the wrong diagnosis for the hell of it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Luke Davis says brand new Avenger slated for 3.2. I don't know what that means. Why do they need a new one?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

226 posted:

It's a cheap and easy "hack" to get a lid to size without cutting a sous vide machine sized hole in the lid of your pot/bucket/etc. Insulates, and reduces evaporation.

It also scales!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mocap that poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

XK posted:

Luke Davis says brand new Avenger slated for 3.2. I don't know what that means. Why do they need a new one?

The ship pipeline is the only thing that works so they need to constantly rework their ships over and over again while everyone waits for engineering to try and fix everyone else's gently caress ups

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bargaining phase.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Q: Are we ever going to be able to melt items we buy on the Voyager Direct store?

A: We want to move on from Voyager Direct, and deprecate it. Wishy washy, still beta, persistence resets. Planning to keep your purchased uec value. Some items will cease to exist. Blanket resets.

I don't know how SomethingJones does it. Even attempting a vague description was a nightmare.

And that's it! A half hour of loving nothing. The most interesting thing was hearing about getting space diseases and sitting in an MRI. What the gently caress is this loving game?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Tippis posted:

Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.

Why on earth would anyone ever want to do something so terminally stupid as mocap water movement for the purpose of simulating it? It's an inherently chaotic and self-disturbing dynamic and any recording must by necessity require a whole lot of adjustment to make it loop (and being a recording, it has to loop or it will just end). There are few better candidates for procedural generation — the tech they've been bleating about for ages now — much like how they did it in Uncharted 3.

…and they're going to use mocap for it? This is so retarded that someone has to be getting kickbacks for this immense waste of everyone's time and money.

As I understand it CIG have said they plan to sell the mocapped water on to other game companies for use in other games, so it does make sense.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bargaining phase.

What these people cannot and will not understand is that CIG can't loving make it work, there are no 'options' here, it's poo poo and it's the best CIG can do

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

All that 'chicken head' stabilisation tech so they can avoid fake camera and rendering and here we are in 2018 fake rendering a helmet.

"I don't know if you can hear me in there, but please wake up. Just wake up, please."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dooguk posted:

From Frontier forum

Oh sure, if you ignore the fact that it doesn't loving work, then yeah, Star Citizen's backend is much better than Elite's!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TerminalHamster/status/957542476914536448
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/957759840838934528
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/957099109109911552
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/957099859399643136
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/957100023459844097

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bargaining phase.

His brilliant solution, that he was so proud of he posted a thread about it on Spectrum, is to go halfsies. I don't understand these people.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

XK posted:

His brilliant solution, that he was so proud of he posted a thread about it on Spectrum, is to go halfsies. I don't understand these people.

He's caught in a terrible cognitive dissonance trap. CIG are good, Star Citizen is good, but....no piracy. So Star Citizen...bad?

So he's trying to work out a way to resolve the dissonance by suggesting a way to resolve the piracy balance problem. Because admitting game balance isn't the reason for non-persistent stolen ships requires him to think a whole bunch of really big scary painful thoughts about CIG's ability to complete the project. Hence, bargaining.

And sadly, he probably genuinely thinks CIG will read his post and think wow he's solved the problem, implement this immediately!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

What these people cannot and will not understand is that CIG can't loving make it work, there are no 'options' here, it's poo poo and it's the best CIG can do

I used to sympathize with people, but the further away I get from the game the more negative I feel. Maybe they're all outliers on the genetic spectrum who have a predisposition towards getting scammed. Maybe they're just willfully ignorant because admitting you're wrong is hard. Regardless of the circumstances they're hosed and I have nothing but scorn for them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

That's because you're a rational human being who sees this project as an impossible scam instead of the biggest dream in PC gaming.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Tippis posted:

Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.

Why on earth would anyone ever want to do something so terminally stupid as mocap water movement for the purpose of simulating it? It's an inherently chaotic and self-disturbing dynamic and any recording must by necessity require a whole lot of adjustment to make it loop (and being a recording, it has to loop or it will just end). There are few better candidates for procedural generation — the tech they've been bleating about for ages now — much like how they did it in Uncharted 3.

…and they're going to use mocap for it? This is so retarded that someone has to be getting kickbacks for this immense waste of everyone's time and money.

The thread can be a bit tough to follow, but unless I'm truly through the looking glass, it's a joke. The video is just from some attempt years ago to prevent evaporation from a reservoir by covering it in shadeballs.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

A hardware manufacturer evangelist. Of course, how cou

AUGH

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : Oh, that Hobolando! head stuck in the sand,oh! Doublin' down he's such a laugh! Now he's gone and made an almighty gaffe! Maybe one of these days he will see,people do remember his FUD!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well, see in Star Citizen you're playing the spaceman, with the camera right in the eyeballs (instead of the chest like those other lovely FPS games) and the armor you're wearing is a physical object so it makes sense it occludes part of your view. Heavier armors are going to have more restricted visio-

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I'm just debating whether I should do this in Beer4TheBeerGod's voice or not, but I'll just be straight-laced, and he can interpret my answer however he chooses. I think I tried to explain the benefit, which is mostly to do with the fact that you're going to be playing and interacting with other players in multiplayer and they will be interacting with the world around you and the ship that you'll fly, and so therefore the interactions and actions you do with the environment is going to be visible from my view in first person with an other player playing a multiplayer, and I"ll see him doing the stuff in third person, and I think I've pointed this out before but, typically when you play COD and you see all those wonderful first-person animations, where they open the hatch, and do all this stuff from first person, that's all specifically choreographed from first person. There is no third-person for that, and actually where the hand is and where the camera is is not really where the hand or the arms or the head or the eyes are of the actual character, and so it's fine when it's only from your point of view, but the moment that some other player's doing that from his point of view, and you're watching him do that, what will end up happening is his third person animation will have his head and arm and everything in a different position than it is to him in first person view which, normally if there isn't combat or something involved maybe it's okay, but if you have a lot of heavy interaction with environments and stuff, then it's going to be a problem and you can have things like, hey the arm in first person's up here, but in reality it's actually down here, so you've got collision issues where the collision proxies are in first and third person don't line up. They completely cheat in first person in most games. Most first person games, it's all faked, and that little center crosshair where you move is where they shoot, and if you actually went out to third person and looked at where your character is shooting, and where your bullets are going, you'd actually notice your bullets are not firing in a straight line from where your gun is pointing. They're probably at an angle, cause they're all being gravitated towards that center crosshair that you have in first person. And of course, again, we can't do that in our situation, cause I"m a player, looking at another player, and you expect where his gun's pointing to be where he's going to fire. It's because we have a heavy amount of interactions between the environment outside of combat, and normally most first-person shooters, they really reduce the fidelity of the animation of other players vs. AI, and we really didn't want to do that. So that's the advantage is basically, where your hand is, where you're looking, it's consistent between first and third person. You don't have to cheat, you don't have to do special fix-ups because you're in first-person vs. third person, and vice-versa. So, long-term, if you get the base stuff to work, it makes your life a hell of a lot easier, which, for us, is pretty important because we have a massive massive massive game, and so we have massive amounts of animations, so if we have to do both first person and third person animation for all the motion sets, it's… insane. We're already thousands and thousands of animation assets, and we don't really want to double up on them. And again, in a normal FPS, you don't really have that same issue, because you're not doing something that has a variety of number of ships you can enter, the number of things you can interact, and you're not really thinking about how you're going to be building this thing over 10 years, and have you doing all these different things, and we do, so trying to simplify it to not have two parallel systems is something that, I think, long-term, definitely important. Short term, makes it hard, because most people who've worked on first person stuff, and tried to unify first and third person, will say it was a bitch, and they normally give up and cheat. So, maybe I'm just really stubborn, which is probably true, it also means I make decent games because I don't give up until I get it right. But I think long-term it's the right call. So I hope that answered the question.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, see in Star Citizen you're playing the spaceman, with the camera right in the eyeballs (instead of the chest like those other lovely FPS games) and the armor you're wearing is a physical object so it makes sense it occludes part of your view. Heavier armors are going to have more restricted visio-

They have fixed the issue where super wide screen setups are heavily occluded by the helmet, right?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

MilesK posted:

it's all faked,
yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

They have fixed the issue where super wide screen setups are heavily occluded by the helmet, right?

Apparently. Now your vision just clips through the sides and only the center of your screen is occluded lol