Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Just like Paris, defending the pick and roll is murder on Achilles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

dokmo posted:

:golfclap:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

You honestly think the game back then is the same one big guys are playing today? That Shaq could play 40 minutes a night in today's game? Faster pace and having to guard big guys out to the perimeter all day is a different animal.

Tons of big guys were playing equivalent minutes to Cousins in 2013, and I don't think the game's changed much from then: https://www.basketball-reference.co...der_by=mp_per_g

Go back to 2008 and the list is even bigger, and I don't think a guy like Cousins would have seen any more strain in the Early Obama years then now.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...der_by=mp_per_g

Pace was also way higher in the late 80s and early 90s
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

dokmo posted:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Duncan, Shaq, Olajuwon, etc all played big minutes when they came into the league. Is there a reason Achilles tendons are not as strong as they were 7 or 8 years ago?

I get what you're saying, but no GM had Kuzma as a top-5 guy before the draft, if they did they would have traded up for him. You are making a very backward looking view: knowing what we know now the 6th pick would have been very valuable. Forward looking: you don't know who will be good and there typically is a big drop off between they guys you can select in the top 3 vs the next 4 or 5 spots.

The Nets pick has value, even if it doesn't move up in the lottery. But be realistic as to what you can expect, and looking at what the #6 usually gives you is a reasonable way of gauging that value: It's a bit of a crapshoot (but obviously better than later picks).

Yes there typically is a big drop-off between the top 3 and #6, but it's not backward looking view to say that there is value in being toward the front of the line. I don't think most good GMs go into the draft with no idea who they want and if the draft is such a crap shoot, that's all the more reason to be able to grab the guy you feel really confident or comfortable with instead of option d, e, or f. Saying "well it's just the 6th pick so you'll probably just end up with Buddy Hield" is the most horrible, backward looking view since you're basically chaining your current personnel decisions to whatever dumpfuck GM did in the previous draft.

The realistic way to look at the Nets pick is that you'll be ahead of 24 (or wherever it lands) teams in picking the prospect you like. If the draft is deep and your 6th option isn't that much better than who your 30th, then value it accordingly. If there are only a handful of prospect you think have a place in your rotation long term, then don't treat it as a Buddy Hield pick.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I think you would have to look at distance covered in game and the kind of movements and torque,biomechanics,even weight between big man's to make a wildly inaccurate guess.even diet,sleep cycles,the position you sleep in impacts this stuff. I think sportsvu or a similar company tracks this for the big soccer clubs,but its insanelly expensive,on the millions of euros per year range.

Also,

dokmo posted:

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Lockback posted:

Tons of big guys were playing equivalent minutes to Cousins in 2013, and I don't think the game's changed much from then: https://www.basketball-reference.co...der_by=mp_per_g

Go back to 2008 and the list is even bigger, and I don't think a guy like Cousins would have seen any more strain in the Early Obama years then now.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...der_by=mp_per_g

Pace was also way higher in the late 80s and early 90s
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

I'd like to see a split of players listed as 4s or 5s 3PA in 2013 versus now. Intuitively, I feel like the emphasis on the 3 pointer that the warriors started has made bigs have to close out on stretch 4/5s shooting threes, making them move a lot more than just camping in the paint and defending the rim/grabbing rebounds. Look at how fast Roy Hibbert fell off a cliff with his style of play, and just looking at Marc Gasol's 3PA/game his highest was 0.2 until last season when it shot up to 3.6 and this season its 4.2.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I think you would have to look at distance covered in game and the kind of movements and torque,biomechanics,even weight between big man's to make a wildly inaccurate guess.even diet,sleep cycles,the position you sleep in impacts this stuff. I think sportsvu or a similar company tracks this for the big soccer clubs,but its insanelly expensive,on the millions of euros per year range.

Also,

SportVU tracking data was available on NBA.com's website until like two years ago when they decided to make their website bad on purpose as some sort of company directive

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/958113159973408771

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

*Bogart voice* "We'll always have that joke to trot out."

edit

:wowzers: or wozzers idk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

holy poo poo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's nice that Stan Van Gundy wants a bench buddy for Reggie Jackson during their injury periods.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Everyone that locked DeAndre in his house is leaving him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/958115635849977856

What a bag of poo poo

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
To "len" Bias Harris is good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Huh. On the one hand that's nothing on the other hand Blake is owed s lot of money

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Avery Bradley is absolutely horrible, Tobias is a good scorer who can't pass, rebound, or defend, Boban rules but can't defend anyone

I mean, the Pistons are still a 7 or 8 seed who gets knocked out in the first round, but I don't know what the Clippers are really getting out of this deal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Avery Bradley is absolutely horrible, Tobias is a good scorer who can't pass, rebound, or defend, Boban rules but can't defend anyone

I mean, the Pistons are still a 7 or 8 seed who gets knocked out in the first round, but I don't know what the Clippers are really getting out of this deal

cap relief

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Space to sign Lebron ? I guess ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Blake Griffin $29,512,900 | $31,873,932 | $34,234,964 | $36,595,996 | $38,957,028

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Clippers have to be the one hesitating, I would do that deal as the Pistons 100%

Griffin/Drummond Frontcourt is real nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

Blake Griffin $29,512,900 | $31,873,932 | $34,234,964 | $36,595,996 | $38,957,028

Iirc age 28-32

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

morestuff posted:

Eesh.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Bah gawd

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Healthy Blake is very cool tho.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Space to sign Lebron ? I guess ?

Still gonna be significantly over the cap next year. But this move does probably take them out of the tax next season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would not want to be paying 31 and 32 year old Blake that kind of money.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

morestuff posted:

On one hand, that's a lot of money. On the other, trading .....that......for 5 years of Blake Griffin is uh , drat.

I feel like lately most of the big trades are for guys with 1, 2 years left on a contract. Seeing a deal that long move would be cool and if he keeps the production up could be a total coup for the Pistons. Defs a gamble, though.

He's shown some pretty good ability to adapt with his playmaking and improved shot, at least.

Also if he's gone then so is DJ, Clippers might be doing a fire sale right now.

Why am I speaking in sentence fragments.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 30, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/958120119456206849

Well that escalated quickly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/958120113332506624

Confirmed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice to get a superstar going west to east

Lol at Blake getting banished from La tho

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Imagine going through all of this just to get traded half a year later

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/958119489148805120

It's like trading away MLK!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Seriously, what the gently caress

Also, :lol: Clippers

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/958120746169053184

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Deandre is sure as poo poo getting traded too

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That's really dumb.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I too wish I could trade my bad players for good players

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Blake is one of the original name-dropped renegades of funk.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Well huh

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Pistons got a good deal I think. Might hurt in a few years, but they're not giving up poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

It's like someone's willed their drunken trade machine combo into reality

• Locked thread