Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You'll get Lifepod 2 location from a radio call, but in case you haven't, you start from your lifepod, head away from the Aurora until you reach the end of the Blood Kelp. There will be a ridge of basically bare seafloor coming up. This ridge will have a gap in it, with an in/out water vent. On the opposite side of the gap from the water vent is a spot you can build a base, and it's the location to put things for minimal backtracking, and it's high enough to power your base entirely through solar panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

when i played this last (all the way back in 2016) i built my base in the grand reef because it's the raddest biome. easy to find locations for thermal plants, sweet scenery, deep enough that you can't see any light from above, most resources are easily available. plus crab squids to occasionally greet you at your door as you leave~

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I built my first expansion base underneath the Ghost Leviathan in Grand Reef. He comes down to yell at the Warper's to get off my lawn. :D

That said I vastly prefer the Koosh Zone entrance to Lost River so I think I'll expand there instead on the next go around.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The raddest biome is the Blue Lost River, and that's where my base is because gently caress you that's why. The only things missing there are table coral and various kelp bits unless you grow them yourself.

But when you're starting out, the Lifepod 2 location is by far the least annoying and requires least rebuilds. To build a base as good anywhere else you've had to unlock fast travel or all the depth upgrades, and it has ready access to the longest-bit-of-the-game materials, and way less backtracking and long annoying Cyclops rides.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just got this game, pretty much exclusively for VR. They have the canvas to make the best VR game if they put in the tiniest bit of effort. At this point I feel like I should be doing the building and whatnot in normal mode and just explore in VR, does that sound about right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Google Butt posted:

I just got this game, pretty much exclusively for VR. They have the canvas to make the best VR game if they put in the tiniest bit of effort. At this point I feel like I should be doing the building and whatnot in normal mode and just explore in VR, does that sound about right?

VR was not planned from the start and kinda tacked on, so yes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It was real good in VR for a while, but then they added a bunch of stuff and tweaked it and didn't do a VR pass. I had kind of figured they would have done a pass before 1.0, but obviously I was mistaken.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bhodi posted:

It was real good in VR for a while, but then they added a bunch of stuff and tweaked it and didn't do a VR pass. I had kind of figured they would have done a pass before 1.0, but obviously I was mistaken.

It's honestly not that bad to just cruise around, and it gives me a lot of Nope gives which is good. Stability, locomotion and small poo poo like the pda being super close need work. A little bit of attention will go a long way, hope it happens.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I also put my base by mushroom caves, but I put the starting point on the upwards outcropping things, the one that has an opening straight down into mushroom. Then I built about 300m of vertical tunnel and a couple normal corridors to adjust for the angle, but now I can get down there lickity split should I need to. Though I've been going around in the Cyclops a lot and exploring poo poo now that I've got a Prawn with upgraded armor. Oh hey leviathan, I'll just punch you till you go away.

Can you put reactors inside the Cyclops? I saw someone mentioning thermal as a way to keep it charged, 2600 power goes quick.

e: Oh it's an actual module!

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 30, 2018

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I played this a year or so ago, but stopped when I felt like I was at a place where I needed to go deeper, but the modules I needed to go deeper were only to be found deeper. Deeper.

Anyway, started a new game with the release, and have been enjoying the early game quite a bit. Things seem much more polished, and they either changed the map or moved the starting lifepod (or it's random?), so the safe shallows seem totally different to me now.

I was also surprised to so easily find the blueprint for the scanner room, and have built one in my initial base. How do I use this thing? When I played before it was super bugged so no one bothered. I've figured out how to select what to scan for, and use the camera drones, but what do I do after that? Currently I've been moving the drone out to a spot near a bunch of scanned resources/wrecks and leaving it there (as the drone has a beacon I can swim to). That works, but it's a hassle. Do I have to do something to get the scanned resources to show up on the general HUD, not just when I'm using the camera drones?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Capn Jobe posted:

I played this a year or so ago, but stopped when I felt like I was at a place where I needed to go deeper, but the modules I needed to go deeper were only to be found deeper. Deeper.

Anyway, started a new game with the release, and have been enjoying the early game quite a bit. Things seem much more polished, and they either changed the map or moved the starting lifepod (or it's random?), so the safe shallows seem totally different to me now.

I was also surprised to so easily find the blueprint for the scanner room, and have built one in my initial base. How do I use this thing? When I played before it was super bugged so no one bothered. I've figured out how to select what to scan for, and use the camera drones, but what do I do after that? Currently I've been moving the drone out to a spot near a bunch of scanned resources/wrecks and leaving it there (as the drone has a beacon I can swim to). That works, but it's a hassle. Do I have to do something to get the scanned resources to show up on the general HUD, not just when I'm using the camera drones?

Lifepod location is determined on world generation. The map doesn't change outside updates.

Scanner room doesn't actually need you to use the scan drones. The other side has the upgrades, it has the HUD chip for the resources, and after that you can just leave the scanner room on (it uses a LOT of power) and it'll mark the items on your hud after a few minutes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I built my base in the shallows and I'm too lazy to move it :(

Back from the Aurora, I have a bunch of cool blueprints (prawn suit, most of a cyclops) and no idea where to get the materials for them. Guess I'll see where the main quest takes me next. Also the furthest down I've gone is about 300 metres but my sub can reach 900 and I'm terrified of the prospect.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I built my base in the shallows and I'm too lazy to move it :(

Back from the Aurora, I have a bunch of cool blueprints (prawn suit, most of a cyclops) and no idea where to get the materials for them. Guess I'll see where the main quest takes me next. Also the furthest down I've gone is about 300 metres but my sub can reach 900 and I'm terrified of the prospect.

There's a reason I recommend the Lifepod 2, and why it'll appear on the radio as a waypoint.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

endlessmonotony posted:

Lifepod location is determined on world generation.

I hate that it does this because on my current survival playthrough it put me close to the stern of the aurora and even though it's safe shallows territory I still shudder when I look at those engines because ughughugh reapers.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
They renamed the koosh plants to bulbous plants. Cowards

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My first base is always in the shallows because I pick up every single item and those floating lockers are an eyesore

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Am I losing anything by disabling hunger/thirst? I just finished my yearly minecraft binge and I want to vomit when thinking about watching meters go down.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

buglord posted:

Am I losing anything by disabling hunger/thirst? I just finished my yearly minecraft binge and I want to vomit when thinking about watching meters go down.

Not really.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

buglord posted:

Honestly nah, the game does fairly good about giving you tons of food everywhere and all that, but it's no big deal to just switch it off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My savegame started to crash. I put 37 hours into it, and had just taken my Cyclops and Prawn into the lava cave for the first time and saved the game. I played for about 20 minutes more, built a base with a scanner room, and the game crashed when I activated the camera console.

After loading the saved game, the game crashes within 20-30 seconds if I stay on board the Cyclops, or immediately if I exit it. Game seems to work just fine if I start a new game. It's weird because the game originally lasted a lot longer after that point.

I could get to that point a hell of a lot faster if I restarted the game, especially if I turned off hunger/thirst, but I don't want to :|

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Loving this game so far but I hate how dependent you are on random chance finding the right fragments to progress! I have my cyclops built but still can't find the power cell charger fragments so charging is a huge pain in the rear end using the prawn to charge 2 at a time at the Moon pool.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

DrBox posted:

Loving this game so far but I hate how dependent you are on random chance finding the right fragments to progress! I have my cyclops built but still can't find the power cell charger fragments so charging is a huge pain in the rear end using the prawn to charge 2 at a time at the Moon pool.

Just get the thermal generator for the cyclops and park it on a vent/in lava.
There is a data box with the blueprint in one of the wrecks in the grand reef. Not the one near the lifeboat, more on the other side at about 450m.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't know if fragments within wrecks are completely randomized, but I usually found one or two cell charger bits in most of the major wrecks I visited, Try checking near all the lifepod beacons if you haven't already, the one with not-commander Keen's pod had a load of wreckage near it for me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cicadalek posted:

I don't know if fragments within wrecks are completely randomized, but I usually found one or two cell charger bits in most of the major wrecks I visited, Try checking near all the lifepod beacons if you haven't already, the one with not-commander Keen's pod had a load of wreckage near it for me.

I was getting frustrated not being able to find the Power Cell Charger since I didn't want to start tooling around in my Cyclops without them, but it turned out I swam by a pile of several of them exploring a wreck hours before and ignored them because I mentally swapped them for normal battery charges :downs:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rookersh posted:

This game gets significantly better when you don't add the hunger/water mechanics.

It's an exploration game, not a survival game.

Yes. I wish there was more to do in bases though. You get real simple when there’s no need to manage hunger or thirst.

Mods would have really shined here.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

While the scanner room is useful in its current incarnation, I was hoping it would be used to eventually build your own map of the world. I understand they didn't want to add an ingame map because it makes the world feel smaller, but it would have been a cool goal to slowly create your own, and a good incentive to explore every possible location. And a thing that you could actually DO in your base.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I am building a base in the Cove Tree of the lost river and noticed too late that there is both a cool music but also a very oppressive/stressful one in this area.
Is there a way to disable music or a spot to build where only one trigger?
This game need a buildable music player for bases.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What's the best way to get to that tree?

I think I got into the lost river by accident looking for the 500m down Degasi base. Went past an enormous skeleton before finding it unexpectedly. I seem to get lost when I go deep and consistently finding cave entrances is really tricky. Currently stocking up on beacons though...

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
It is in the lost river you probably went right next to it, its not a small entrance.
I suggest putting a beacon on every landmark and every entrance to the river you go through.
It will make it easier to find it as you are probably running in circles like I did.

In the end it is annoying to build a base there...
I'll probably just do a minimal base with a scanner and 3 Power cell charger to just charge the Cyclops when needed.

There is loads of ressources but you have to walk a lot to get them as most are in big deposit that need the prawn.
Speaking of which double drilling arm prawn drill twice as fast? With the truster upgrade you don't need the grapple anymore.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 30, 2018

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Large cave diving tips: Beacons at large openings/points of interest but for me the most helpful was the sonar for the cyclops. Give it a couple of pulses and you'll get an outline of almost the entire cave.
Tryhardmode: Build a deep-sea scanner room and have it search for heatvents and beam that info to your hud, they usually line the seafloor and it'll give you a rough outline of where a cave opening is likely.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Take a look for power cell charger fragments by the abandoned base in the jelly caves, and the wreckage out in the sparse reef.

Does anyone know why i would be experiencing super choppy framerates whenever i look in the direction of the Aurora (even when it isn't visible) and how I might fix it? Game runs pretty smoothly otherwise.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

My savegame started to crash. I put 37 hours into it, and had just taken my Cyclops and Prawn into the lava cave for the first time and saved the game. I played for about 20 minutes more, built a base with a scanner room, and the game crashed when I activated the camera console.

After loading the saved game, the game crashes within 20-30 seconds if I stay on board the Cyclops, or immediately if I exit it. Game seems to work just fine if I start a new game. It's weird because the game originally lasted a lot longer after that point.

I could get to that point a hell of a lot faster if I restarted the game, especially if I turned off hunger/thirst, but I don't want to :|
this is super likely something with the world state and you can hack around it by deleting your world cache:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/215439774865517173/
https://forums.unknownworlds.com/di...hat-dont-update

If that doesn't work, you can go into the console and note the blocks your bases are in, and delete all other blocks to reset the world as well, which is a bit more extreme (and will respawn everything in the world) but should definitely fix the crashes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm playing on hardcore, are there any 'gotcha' deaths 35 hours in to the game?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

boar guy posted:

Not unless you get lost, or do something stupid. (Like I got crushed by my own cyclops when some screamy nerd pushed it down on top of me.) The late game is honestly the safest portion of the game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

boar guy posted:

mostly falling through the world or other janky bullshit that people are reporting.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Started a new game for 1.0, rushed to build the scanner room right away because it sounded cool now, figured I'd do it on the edge of the kelp forest to find silver nodes.

The fact that stalkers steal your camera drones and run away with them is hilarious.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Giant Isopod posted:

The fact that stalkers steal your camera drones and run away with them is hilarious.

The stalkers don't think it's so hilarious when I chase them down and stove their skulls in with heavy machinery

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my game crashed and I lost an hour and a half of progress.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't an hour of exploring the Aurora.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Trustworthy posted:

The stalkers don't think it's so hilarious when I chase them down and stove their skulls in with heavy machinery

They just want to play fetch, you monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Does anyone else think it's an oversight that you can't build a nuclear reactor on the cyclops? Late-game you have the thermal and efficiency modules, so you end up with a bunch of extra power cells left over from mid-game when it was necessary to swap them constantly. A nuclear-powered option would be a nice stopgap.