Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then Parks & Rec ends with a poor neighborhood getting gentrified and people getting priced out of their homes and treating this as a major victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Iron Crowned posted:

That 70's show isn't great, but it has a weird special enduring quality to me for some reason. I have a lot of fond memories of being unemployed and watching it at 11pm. Do not ask me why I remember it fondly like that, I just do. Weirdly I didn't see more than 3 episodes during the initial run

I tried watching That 70s Show, but found all the characters insufferable except Red.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

And then Parks & Rec ends with a poor neighborhood getting gentrified and people getting priced out of their homes and treating this as a major victory

No, they repurposed a mostly abandoned industrial area. And created a beautiful national park.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, they repurposed a mostly abandoned industrial area. And created a beautiful national park.

And all the surrounding neighborhoods aren't going to be affected by a major global internet conglomerate putting their campus smack dab in the middle of the city

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nope.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mister Kingdom posted:

I tried watching That 70s Show, but found all the characters insufferable except Red.

I remember hating the pilot (and I saw it again recently, and I still think it's terrible), and basically wrote it off, until it replaced South Park in syndication. You are right though, Red really is the stand out character in that show. Weirdly enough that just jogged my memory of when everywhere had South Park in syndication for a year, then it was dropped like a hot potato.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ok I'm glad

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Ok I'm glad

:)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

And all the surrounding neighborhoods aren't going to be affected by a major global internet conglomerate putting their campus smack dab in the middle of the city

That was going to happen either way, though. Getting to save the land for the park was the major victory.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Weirdly enough that just jogged my memory of when everywhere had South Park in syndication for a year, then it was dropped like a hot potato.

Was that before or after they put every South Park episode online? Because I imagine that would temper any enthusiasm over syndication of a show that already depends too much on current events.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh, it got dropped? I didn't know that. I remember watching those when they first came on just out of morbid curiosity to see how they'd be cut for TV-14. They mostly did a pretty good job and got away with a little more than you'd expect. But I feel like at the same time that started, they also started doing stuff in the new episodes that seemed specifically designed to make it impossible to ever cut down to TV-14. Like the weed episode where they're all bouncing around on their enlarged scrota. So that syndication deal was probably never long for this world.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was that before or after they put every South Park episode online? Because I imagine that would temper any enthusiasm over syndication of a show that already depends too much on current events.

Possibly, this was about 2007. I just remember there was a big advertising campaign for it in Wichita where I lived at the time, when I was in Dallas for work, I saw ads on the sides of busses. By the time I was unemployed in early 2009 it had vanished without a trace.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Red is like Archie Bunker and Kitty is like a drunk Edith

Topher is no Meathead, though

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My problem with That 70's Show is that it's a terrible hangover show. It's all really shrill people shouting at each other over fart rock.

And in case anyone cares, the best hangover show is Bob's Burgers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Twitch posted:

My problem with That 70's Show is that it's a terrible hangover show. It's all really shrill people shouting at each other over fart rock.

And in case anyone cares, the best hangover show is Bob's Burgers.

That 70's Show is best as a post primetime rerun. And yeah, Bob's Burgers is great for hangovers.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

re-watched Sealab 2021, it's still fuckin great

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The best Red moment is when he's yelling at the four boys after catching them toking up in the basement.

"I wish I had 2000 feet so I can put 500 in each of your assess!"

Season 8 though. They managed to get an even worse character with Randy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Bloop posted:

Red is like Archie Bunker and Kitty is like a drunk Edith

Topher is no Meathead, though

I've been rewatching the first few seasons on Netflix. I'm trying to confirm my belief that the show stopped being good when Red had his heart attack.

As awesome as Red as a character was, Kitty really was such an underrated character.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

duck trucker posted:

The best Red moment is when he's yelling at the four boys after catching them toking up in the basement.

"I wish I had 2000 feet so I can put 500 in each of your assess!"

Season 8 though. They managed to get an even worse character with Randy.

The last couple seasons of That 70's Show were really rough too. Unfortunately sitcoms are pretty bad at changing the status quo, and they rarely last after anyone gets replaced. The series itself was hampered by the fact that it took place in the 70's and had to stretch out 1976-1979 over 8 seasons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm pretty sure the first episode is set in 1979?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There's always That 80s Show...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mojo1701a posted:

I've been rewatching the first few seasons on Netflix. I'm trying to confirm my belief that the show stopped being good when Red had his heart attack.

As awesome as Red as a character was, Kitty really was such an underrated character.

All the adults on the show were good. Bob and Midge were always fun, Kitty was great and Red was the best character on the show. The kids were all morons (even Donna) but that was sort of the point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I'm pretty sure the first episode is set in 1979?

1976, and it transitions to 1977 during the first season.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I will give one thing that's undeniably good about That 70s Show: it gave us That 70s Guy in the WCW.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

GoutPatrol posted:

I was rewatching it recently. And to me, it is still the greatest first season of a TV comedy. I remember watching this with Parks and Rec season 2 in the same hour, it was bliss.

lol no that's I'm Alan Partridge

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

sweet geek swag posted:

All the adults on the show were good. Bob and Midge were always fun, Kitty was great and Red was the best character on the show. The kids were all morons (even Donna) but that was sort of the point.

Yeah, it went from being understandably dumbass teenagers to unsympathetic dumbass adults.

Bob & Midge were also so good as foils for both Red & Kitty and each other, too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

70's Show was funny but really 2 seasons too long. When they started to screentest replacements for Topher Grace in one-off episodes involving "new guys in the gang" it was too late. ...And like with Scrubs, the last season is just sad.

I find it that during the original run, I liked the kids and their antics, now its Red Forman all day every day.

And for some weirdest loving reason, Wilmer Valderrama was a huge loving star in our country.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Doesn't help that Hyde's actor is a real-life sex-offender.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with That 70s Show was how they couldn't actually advance the characters without writing out half the cast so once they graduate high school everybody just kind of ends up in a holding pattern. Also for a show that was set in the 70s they basically had to stop time to keep making episodes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Kitty Forman was great, and also my favorite episode is the one where Eric walks in on her & Red getting it on, though I will say that the song "Tell Me Something Good" has been completely ruined for me ever since.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Twitch posted:

I will give one thing that's undeniably good about That 70s Show: it gave us That 70s Guy in the WCW.

Wikipedia posted:

On the September 6, 2000 edition of Thunder, Awesome changed his gimmick and became "That '70s Guy" Mike Awesome (a reference to the hit TV series, That '70s Show), dressing in various 1970s inspired outfits and hosting the "Lava Lamp Lounge" interview segment. At one point, he was even given a bus painted in the style of the one featured on The Partridge Family to drive into arenas for his entrance.[7][11] During this time, he had a feud with Vampiro, which created many brawls between Awesome and Vampiro's allies, the Insane Clown Posse. At one point, Awesome battled Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J in a Handicap match. At the conclusion of the match, Mike Awesome-Bombed Shaggy 2 Dope onto the roof of the bus. However, the slippery metal surface gave yield to Dope's lithe, supple frame and he fell tragically to the concrete below.[12]
This is all kinds of amazing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

GrandpaPants posted:

There's always That 80s Show...

Family Ties?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a short lived "That 80s Show" which, IIRC, wasn't a spin off or anything like that. Mostly notable for how quickly it failed and how it stared pre-Sunny Glenn Howerton.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

muscles like this! posted:

There was a short lived "That 80s Show" which, IIRC, wasn't a spin off or anything like that. Mostly notable for how quickly it failed and how it stared pre-Sunny Glenn Howerton.

I remember watching a few episodes when it was first on but I was too young to remember how bad it was.

A year or two ago, I found a random episode on YouTube and watched it.

It's bad. Like, really bad.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I had to watch. They were exactly my age in the show: junior in 76-77. I even had an Eric Foreman haircut.

Didn't have the hot redhead girlfriend next door, but then I turned out to be a goon, so that's expected.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

That 70's show isn't great, but it has a weird special enduring quality to me for some reason. I have a lot of fond memories of being unemployed and watching it at 11pm. Do not ask me why I remember it fondly like that, I just do. Weirdly I didn't see more than 3 episodes during the initial run

Same. It was on in syndication when I got home from school and I'm pretty sure I watched every single episode this way. It and Seinfeld are the only multicam/laughtrack shows I can enjoy.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Whorelord posted:

lol no that's I'm Alan Partridge

Yeah man I loved the episode where he's bored and the episode is literally him sitting around and nothing happening

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this! posted:

The Goldbergs is the real That 80s Show anyway. And without making the mistake of giving concrete dates.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah man I loved the episode where he's bored and the episode is literally him sitting around and nothing happening

Well not quite, didn't he buy a packet of screws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Decius posted:

The Goldbergs is the real That 80s Show anyway. And without making the mistake of giving concrete dates.

Goldbergs will be about events that happened in 1981, but have props that came out in 1989. It's a bit jarring, but since it's always described as "1980-something", it works OK.