Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced a few of my blown gauge cluster bulbs in the FXT with LEDs, and will replace the rest tomorrow when they arrive. I had originally ordered only the 168 bulbs but then I realized many of my mini 74s were also blown. The lights were invisible In the daytime previously, and only barely visible at night. I’m super glad that the design of the cluster allows for drop-in replacement bulbs. My friend has an Avalanche and he had to desolder and resolder new bulbs and resistors into the cluster board.

CEL is on because of the camshaft position sensor, which I have sitting in the cup holder; it will be replaced along with the timing belt/water pump/idlers/ spark plugs next week.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

It looks like I get to check the timing on my car and swap the battery because I'm 99% sure the seller screwed his timing job up and the battery is close to dead.

Called it.

brand engager posted:

Spent $860 to have someone else do things to the zx2 instead. While I was 20 minutes away from home, the loving idler pulley for the timing belt snapped off and some mechanic had to get the bolt out of that cramped space.
Before:

After:

Also I did one of the front wheel bearings in november but forgot to post it. Here's a big album of that
https://imgur.com/a/DMunc

I guess today is timing belt and cam sensor day in here.

All other sprockets were lined up with their marks. I wonder why it was throwing a cam sensor code and running like poo poo? :v:

It turns out the driver side cam being advanced one tooth (7.5 degrees of cam rotation) will cause bad idle, P0302, P0304, and P0341 popping up almost instantly when you actually drive it, horrible bogging, and serious lack of power. Who would have thought that?

Rear wheel bearings are horrible too. I think it needs exhaust work as well. But at least I fixed the running issue, overhead console clock, and rear wiper today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm kinda curious on how one would extract that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm kinda curious on how one would extract that.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, generally.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, generally.

and a right angle drill.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was classifying that under anger. Maybe bargaining if it's an HF one.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
You'd probably be successful TIG welding a nut to it and just unthreading the thing. On the other hand, most mechanic shops don't have that... Guy probably flux core'd a lug nut to it, that's SOP in most shops i've been in when something won't come apart. Hell, the front diff fill plug on my toyota even has a lug nut welded to it, all crooked. It works great.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

chrisgt posted:

You'd probably be successful TIG welding a nut to it and just unthreading the thing. On the other hand, most mechanic shops don't have that... Guy probably flux core'd a lug nut to it, that's SOP in most shops i've been in when something won't come apart. Hell, the front diff fill plug on my toyota even has a lug nut welded to it, all crooked. It works great.

How much torque can you pass through something welded on like that? I looked up the torque spec for that pulley and they are tightened to 26-29 lb/ft.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

brand engager posted:

How much torque can you pass through something welded on like that? I looked up the torque spec for that pulley and they are tightened to 26-29 lb/ft.

Surprisingly more than you'd expect, the torque spec is actually irrelevant here, though. Once the head of the bolt is missing, the threads are theoretically not under any torque at all. There's actually a chance they got a pair of needle nose pliers on there and just spun it out. If it was a bit rusty, maybe it took slightly more force, regardless, the original torque spec doesn't mean anything once it's broken off like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

chrisgt posted:

My dads Hilux, my mates Prado and the missus' Tiida all have nuts welded to drain plugs on them. The Hilux and Prado have a stupid front diff drain plug that uses a thin as poo poo copper washer and a 10mm hex, but its only about 10mm deep and half of that is chamfered in to make it easier to get into, so the fuckers strip out instantly. Welding nuts onto them under the car isnt my definition of fun.

The tiida got a nut welded to its trans drain plug because the loving Renault 6 speed trans in there has some stupid internal square plug on it. Nissans got a thing for that, they use em on the Patrols too for diff plugs, but they're 1/2" so a breaker bar just locks into them. The one on the tiida isnt 3/8" and its not 1/4", its between the two, so you have to grind an M8 bolt square and hammer that in there and use a spanner on that.

I just cracked it and tig'd a loving M12 nut to it last time I had to do trans fluid and lost my loving ground down bolt AGAIN.

Tyre Chat- Last tires for my car were AU$419 EACH, not fitted. $425 a corner after fitting and disposal- so US$1,379 a set

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The text on these is the fun part!

Tirechat, the goal seems to be finding a popular size. The 20s on my C10 actually cost less than the 15s I ran before.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ferremit posted:

My dads Hilux, my mates Prado and the missus' Tiida all have nuts welded to drain plugs on them. The Hilux and Prado have a stupid front diff drain plug that uses a thin as poo poo copper washer and a 10mm hex, but its only about 10mm deep and half of that is chamfered in to make it easier to get into, so the fuckers strip out instantly. Welding nuts onto them under the car isnt my definition of fun.

The tiida got a nut welded to its trans drain plug because the loving Renault 6 speed trans in there has some stupid internal square plug on it. Nissans got a thing for that, they use em on the Patrols too for diff plugs, but they're 1/2" so a breaker bar just locks into them. The one on the tiida isnt 3/8" and its not 1/4", its between the two, so you have to grind an M8 bolt square and hammer that in there and use a spanner on that.

I just cracked it and tig'd a loving M12 nut to it last time I had to do trans fluid and lost my loving ground down bolt AGAIN.

Tyre Chat- Last tires for my car were AU$419 EACH, not fitted. $425 a corner after fitting and disposal- so US$1,379 a set

Fortunately I wasn't the one who had to weld the lug nut to the drain plug on the toyota. Every time I have it off, I think about laying a better bead so it doesn't break.... Then I just go and put it back. (it leaks, so I top it up every oil change...).
Did Australia get the sequoia? or is it too god drat gigantic for any country other than the US.

Subaru also uses the internal square drive for diff plugs, 1/2" breaker bars fit but it's technically 13mm. Really rusty stuck ones strip out unless you have the 13mm drive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'll be damned. I just assumed square drain plugs were always for either 3/8" or 1/2" ratchets.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'll be damned. I just assumed square drain plugs were always for either 3/8" or 1/2" ratchets.

you'd figure automakers could make a standard and then simplify the parts making and maintenance processes. :mad:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Well, not only is it a Japanese car built to Japanese standards (except seatbelts *), pretty much all cars made world wide are metric anyway.
Also LOL at making a standard that all auto makers follow, OBD2 is a good case study how many standards there are to choose from...

* Due to some weird law, seat belt bolts must be 7/16-20 thread in the US.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had a few extra minutes so I replaced the camshaft sensor on the FXT myself. Not difficult but I had to remove the washer bottle, two hoses, and use a hodgepodge of extensions and u-joints to get at the bolt. Then I finished replacing blown bulbs in the gauge cluster and reinstalled it. Went to start the car and the battery is dead. Awesome.

Cam sensor is down here...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chrisgt posted:

Well, not only is it a Japanese car built to Japanese standards (except seatbelts *), pretty much all cars made world wide are metric anyway.
Also LOL at making a standard that all auto makers follow, OBD2 is a good case study how many standards there are to choose from...

Guess I was alluding to drive sizes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Had a few extra minutes so I replaced the camshaft sensor on the FXT myself. Not difficult but I had to remove the washer bottle, two hoses, and use a hodgepodge of extensions and u-joints to get at the bolt. Then I finished replacing blown bulbs in the gauge cluster and reinstalled it. Went to start the car and the battery is dead. Awesome.

Cam sensor is down here...

Consider yourself lucky the steel housing of the cam sensor didn't seize into the aluminum bore. Those are a real whore to get out when that happens...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

chrisgt posted:

Consider yourself lucky the steel housing of the cam sensor didn't seize into the aluminum bore. Those are a real whore to get out when that happens...

The sensor is completely plastic...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The sensor is completely plastic...

Oh huh, older ones were metal, didn't realize they changed to plastic.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

[Tim

chrisgt posted:

Oh huh, older ones were metal, didn't realize they changed to plastic.

This is what I pulled out of there and I replaced it with a similar piece.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The text on these is the fun part!
Agreed. I love how over-the-top enthusiastic Blackstone Labs are about all things oil. The people working there seem to live lives devoted entirely to oil and its wonderful properties and amazing uses. Years ago I Seafoamed my car and, following the instructions on the can, changed my oil. I sent samples of the old oil both before and after adding Seafoam, and they were so pleased by this they only charged me for one analysis. From memory, Seafoam didn't change much about the oil, but they encouraged me to repeat the test when I could and they were planning some similar experiments.

Today I walked to Canadian Tire, bought a new battery and was assured that when I bring in the bulging old battery (bought in October, full warranty) they'll refund me the full value of the old battery. The new battery is bigger and more expensive, but if I'd been offered the choice of spend $150 and risk failure vs. spend $200 and lower risk of failure, I certainly would have paid the extra $50, months ago. I swapped out the batteries, managed to bridge the electrodes with the wrench once while trying to tighten the clamp (that was exciting), and the truck started up no problem.

The rolling idle issue seems to be about 90% solved. Last weekend I was feeling around the air intake and discovered a sensor - not sure which one - that was a bit mis-aligned in its housing, so I shoved it back in. I also cleaned the IAC valve because a part of the internet recommended this. Today, the truck never stalled, but getting it out of the frozen / buried parking spot was an ordeal and after spinning the tires it sometimes took a few seconds to calm down to a steady idle - it surges a bit from 500 to 1500 rpm maybe 3 or 4 times, sometimes.

One thing I really like about working on my truck (97 Ranger) is I can fix some problems (tailgate, hood latch) with a hammer, and I can clean it (snow in bed) with a shovel.

PROGRESS.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Replaced the driver side axle on my Focus on a misdiagnosis (loud popping while rolling in either direction, also found the inside CVJ ejected most of its grease onto the subframe & transmission) that ended up being a dead wheel bearing.

Bearing was installed in mid 2009 and about 60,000 miles ago, which isn't bad given the atrocious state of highways along my commutes over the years.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

chrisgt posted:

Fun fact- Toyota went "gently caress it" and made that fucker a global standard sometime in the early 2010's.... Cos gently caress me does that suck in a metric country when your looking for a bolt to use a seatbelt mount in a metric country.

In landcruiser news....

Turbo?

Turbo!

And thats the factory turbo off a 4.2L 1HD-FTE engine vs the turbo off a 2.4L 2L-TE engine (The same one Kraker has in his new to him JDM prado)

And im getting really stupid ideas starting with the word "Compound"..... Wonder how quickly a turbo designed for a 2.4L 4 pot would spool on a 4.2L 6 pot?

For scale- the studs poking up out of the compressor inlet and outlet are 8mm....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No pictures but I de-copified the crown vic some more today. Removed the last of the blue reflective decals, and built a quick little relay setup for the trailer wiring. The stock Ford LCM (lighting control module) is not only really expensive, but can't handle more than 15A or so on the turn signal flasher channels, or so I'm told. I rent small trailers from time to time, and luckily Uhaul's motorcycle trailers are LED. However, I don't want to chance it like I have been just tapping off of the circuits, so I made a box that runs everything though relays.

Bonus: using the brakes or turn signals now makes loud relay clicks from the trunk. It's a pretty nostalgic noise for me.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

oh god

oh no what the gently caress is going on

no no this is all wrong make it stop

So the bimmer I got for TM2TW (1977 320i, rusty shitbox with an unknown engine swap in case you don't follow the AB:AI thread or use Slack) has driveability issues, in that it doesn't. Pulled the lines off the fuel distributor after some poking about, found all that plastic in the ports. Still lovely. I figure if the ports were blocked, PO might've been inside this thing. Open it up, sure enough the diaphragm is trashed and it was rebuilt using that red Princess Harbor Auto Freight SAE O-ring kit everyone has. Thus, poo poo show.

So that needs parts (and also that was last weekend), let's go gently caress with some brakes

Well that's crustier than a whore's drawers.

Much better. That'd be why the brakes were funny.

And that's the leak taken care of, hail Satan. Stay tuned for brake hardlines, more of PO's K-jetronic fuckery (oh yeah there's more), $600 thermostats and a bounty of further horrors next whenever.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 29, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Stop taking the bait ya doofus

But I'm genuinely concerned about how much ramen he can afford after his new high end tires that plebs can't afford. :ohdear: I don't want him going hungry trying to keep the M3 alive. Maybe I should set up a gofundme for him.. for ramen, and for his next headlight bulb replacement (which I'm sure he'll drop $500 on).

:ohdear:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sadly found out that the next project is right around the corner

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

KakerMix posted:

You guys are right.

The headlight bulb part number: 90981-17011 24V 75/70W, HALOGEN WHITE

:v:

I've got a lot to learn, but that's all a part of the fun anyway. I'll be looking a whole bunch more too but yeah seems like the whole thing is running at 24v. That throws all sorts of stuff too like the stereo right?

For anything that doesn't need full time battery supply, use a DC/DC converter (so called step down converter) you can get them on Amazon or eBay for a few bux. Just make sure they satisfy your power needs.

For constant supply like the radio memory, pull a wire to the plus of the battery that has the chassis ground on it. and solder in a fuse and a diode of adequate power rating or a shotky diode of you are fancy and want to safe some power. Generally though the power loss in the diode is dependent on the current which should be low aniways through the constant supply. This of course also works for the 12v ACC supply but a step down converter is just a lot more convenient when working with an isolated component you want to power.

The diode is just a protection by the way, in theory yo can go without it but I always feel a bit safer with a diode when messing with different voltages. Never wire anything to a battery without a fuse though.

Of course if you are sure about the wiring you can just take the 12v plus by using the plus from the battery that has the chassis ground for everything.

Do not use the ground of the other battery for anything. This side has +12v DC to chassis ground

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 31, 2018

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Had a spooky rattling sound making me thinking a timing pulley was about to break again. Noticed one of the three bolts that hold the water pump's pulley on was missing, and found it sitting in the splash guard under the engine.

Not much space to work in but I eventually got it to thread and torqued all three so this doesn't happen again.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I drove it for the first time in months today.

My long stupid thing is done. My truck is registered and insured in Quebec after passing the re-inspection this morning. Biggest, most important lesson: don't let your car insurance expire. Having no insurance, and no ability to get insurance because I moved between provinces, makes every problem bigger and creates a bunch of new problems.

It still has a bad-idling problem, though. And possibly a parasitic drain, though it's hard to tell if the battery is getting drained by sitting for a few days, or by the need to start it half a dozen times before it will stay running.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Took the Acty to get the tires for the Crown mounted and balanced with the help of the Turtles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Changed out the driver side spindle with a junkyard replacement after modifying it to accept the aftermarket brakes I have. Original spindle had its strut pinch bolt snap during an alignment, couldn't separate it from the strut to replace a dead bearing.

Also replaced a 6 amp battery charger that was playing the part of a 12 volt power supply in the frankenstereo I have in my garage (car stereo in a custom enclosure hooked up to shelf speakers) with a 12v switching power supply so I don't have to unplug it when not in use.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KakerMix posted:

Took the Acty to get the tires for the Crown mounted and balanced with the help of the Turtles.
Im jealous of your cars.

And your blanket. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cage posted:

Holy poo poo that was my childhood bed comforter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

Kids today are so spoiled. Back in my day, my bed was covered by a pile of tires!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ExecuDork posted:

Kids today are so spoiled. Back in my day, my bed was covered by a pile of tires!

Cage posted:

Im jealous of your cars.

This is why I keep pushing importing stuff yourself on goons, it's way easy to drive neato things :argh:

Larrymer posted:

Heck yeah it's a rad sheet. Not worth anything at all though, and it is always been odd at how dead-eye staring they are on the thing.

:geno: Cowabunga :geno:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

Let me guess, you got to sleep on radials. Some of us slept on bias ply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Colostomy Bag posted:

Let me guess, you got to sleep on radials. Some of us slept on bias ply.

In my day it was vulcanized solid rubber or nothing!