Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nadmonk posted:

That would have been fantastically wonderful to have. :argh:

It bailed my rear end out. Was dealing with my son's miata in the driveway and given the situation no way to swing a BFH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have one. There was physically no space to get it to fit on my car due to drop links and other assorted suspension wizardry in the way. I had to go buy a fork to do the job and beat the poo poo out of it instead.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Larrymer posted:

I've had mixed luck with this in the rust belt (MI). I have to beat the poo poo out of the knuckle to get them to pop more often then not. Luckily I haven't cracked a knuckle yet by beating on it (cast iron usually doesn't like this sort of treatment). For tie rods I'd rather just rent the tool (that never loving fits anyway :argh:) if you can. Ball joints it's usually too difficult to get the clearance to swing a hammer with all the other suspension poo poo/fender/bumper in the way since I'm not using a lift.

Never had it fail in Massachusetts at the other end of the rust belt... You need a bigger hammer. I use this on every tie rod end and every balljoint I have to deal with, basically.

I dunno about most knuckles, but mine have always been cast steel not cast iron, and cast steel is a lot more forgiving.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kastein posted:

Never had it fail in Massachusetts at the other end of the rust belt... You need a bigger hammer. I use this on every tie rod end and every balljoint I have to deal with, basically.

I dunno about most knuckles, but mine have always been cast steel not cast iron, and cast steel is a lot more forgiving.

Ah, maybe they are steel. :shrug: Would make more sense.

It's hard to fit a bigger hammer in the small space. Guess I just need more rear end behind the hammer. :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Yea, I worked at a shop in Maine. Beating on things to get tapers out was basically a daily occurrence, it was extremely rare for one to not come apart.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Regardless how they come apart, the amount of "bang" that comes out of them is impressive for their size.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nadmonk posted:

That would have been fantastically wonderful to have. :argh:

I bought one as soon as I discovered their existence. Love it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had an ebay special version for a few years and can confirm how awesome they are. Sometimes you have to use a BFG on the whole assembly after putting pressure on it, but it still saves a lot of grief.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Got new front tires for the m3 for about five hundred bucks from Discount Tire

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

A3th3r posted:

Do a burnout until you need to replace the rear ones too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Started tackling the wiring on the pickup. I developed this universal non-destructive ford starter so i could make sure it would work before i cut out the factory switch plug.

4 screws, 3 bolts and you can start pretty much any non-interlock ford made in the 90s or 00s and doesn't damage any of the factory stuff. I'm going to be able to wire in 2 switches and the starter button. Switch 1 will turn all the electrical stuff on making it seem as if the truck is ready to go at the push of the start button, but if switch 2 isn't on, the truck won't start.

stupider like a fox

loving PO used red and black wires interchangeably for live and ground. They also ziptied the wires they run through bare holes in the firewall to the upfitter wires ford already runs through the firewall safely for you. This wouldn't be so bad, but the PO is CN rail, it's probably best to stay away from their trains.

I halted that project because i needed a few more wiring bits, and figured i could reorganize the garage before the snow hit.

It went VERY quickly downhill from here, and the garage is now a complete disaster. On the plus side, i'm going to have so much space for organization. and so much work space, and work space that's not at testicle level.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Got pictures of both the white-two-door diesel Land Crusiers I bought as they await transport at port in Japan.

1991 J71 Land Cruiser Prado

1991 J70 Land Cruiser

I'll be getting both of these white, two-door diesel-powered 4x4s in about a month and a half or so, maybe two.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Dual battery setup? I didn't see a winch or any lights so I'm curious as to why they would run 2 batts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Verman posted:

Dual battery setup? I didn't see a winch or any lights so I'm curious as to why they would run 2 batts.

A lot of big diesel trucks here come with dual batteries, so I'm guessing it's either for accessories you would add later, or for long periods of running accessories with the truck off (e.g. back-country camping inside the truck with an inverter).

I would assume the second battery would have an isolator or something on it if it were the latter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Verman posted:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A lot of big diesel trucks here come with dual batteries, so I'm guessing it's either for accessories you would add later, or for long periods of running accessories with the truck off (e.g. back-country camping inside the truck with an inverter).

I would assume the second battery would have an isolator or something on it if it were the latter.

Yeah it surprised me too, all I found was that it's common enough. I did find this article focused on Australia
https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/1602/dual-battery-systems-explained

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/1602/dual-battery-systems-explained posted:

Vehicles with factory-fit twin batteries – such as many diesel Land Cruisers, Prados and later D22 Nissans – can be easily re-configured to have a starter and accessory battery, too, rather than twin starters. Some people wrongly believe they’re looking at a factory-fitted, trek-ready dual-battery system when they lift the bonnet of these vehicles. They’re not. But the original wiring of these vehicles can usually be easily reconfigured to accommodate a proper dual-battery system.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I figured it was for an overland setup but I didn't expect it from factory without any major electric accessories.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah no, the dual battery thing is strictly because diesel/cold climates. Trying to push against 20:1 compression through frozen 15w40 fast enough to get your -30 air/fuel to autoignition temperatures is a loving battle, friends. And if you're gonna fight it, you're gonna need some goddamn amps.

When it gets below -20c here my job title turns from 'mechanic' to 'valet', because literally my entire job is starting trucks, all day, sometimes for multiple days. It took me three whole goddamn days of 14 hour shifts to start one truck (with zero mechanical issues) one time. Diesels don't like the cold.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 26, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

I'll be getting both of these white, two-door diesel-powered 4x4s in about a month and a half or so, maybe two.

Aren't most dual battery setups for not-big stuff wired in parallel (12V)? This looks like series (24V), and the voltmeter seems to confirm that. :stare:

How easy/difficult is it to get 24V headlights, bulbs, etc?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Aren't most dual battery setups for not-big stuff wired in parallel (12V)? This looks like series (24V), and the voltmeter seems to confirm that. :stare:

How easy/difficult is it to get 24V headlights, bulbs, etc?

From what I can see the truck is still runs all that stuff in 12v, only the starter is 24v, specifically for starting the thing if/when it gets real cold. It's going to be here in the subtropics so I doubt the starter is going to crank more than a second or so to get it going. My Rugger usually starts immediately but lately it's been getting fairly cold for my area, around 40f at night. You can definitely feel how different the truck feels when it's been sitting in cooler weather like that versus the 60f it normally spends the night in.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SOME of the landcruisers came with a 12v/24v change over system, SOME of them had dual batteries in parallel (My HDJ100 and the VDJ200's do, but thats more to do with the 3.5KW starters) but a LOT of them are dedicated 24v trucks. Which makes wiring ANYTHING a pain in the dick, and converting them isnt a simple task cos every sensor, bulb and instrument on the vehicle is 24v.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

From what I can see the truck is still runs all that stuff in 12v, only the starter is 24v, specifically for starting the thing if/when it gets real cold. It's going to be here in the subtropics so I doubt the starter is going to crank more than a second or so to get it going. My Rugger usually starts immediately but lately it's been getting fairly cold for my area, around 40f at night. You can definitely feel how different the truck feels when it's been sitting in cooler weather like that versus the 60f it normally spends the night in.

I thought the 12/24 system was only on the 80 and those older ones were straight 24v

E. Beaten

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

SOME of the landcruisers came with a 12v/24v change over system, SOME of them had dual batteries in parallel (My HDJ100 and the VDJ200's do, but thats more to do with the 3.5KW starters) but a LOT of them are dedicated 24v trucks. Which makes wiring ANYTHING a pain in the dick, and converting them isnt a simple task cos every sensor, bulb and instrument on the vehicle is 24v.

dissss posted:

I thought the 12/24 system was only on the 80 and those older ones were straight 24v

E. Beaten

You guys are right.

The headlight bulb part number: 90981-17011 24V 75/70W, HALOGEN WHITE

:v:

I've got a lot to learn, but that's all a part of the fun anyway. I'll be looking a whole bunch more too but yeah seems like the whole thing is running at 24v. That throws all sorts of stuff too like the stereo right?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

A3th3r posted:

You're very bad at this. Don't post in here.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

You're very bad at this. Don't post in here.

As someone who's looking to buy new tires, it's unfortunately not crazy. I wish I could get a discount to get that price.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 26, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EvilBeard posted:

As someone who's looking to buy new tires, it's unfortunately not crazy. I wish I could get a discount to get that price.

265s on a 22"?

:stonkhat:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

265s up front on an m3?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Last time I bought tires I paid about $550 after taxes.

Mounted and installed.

All four.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

265s up front on an m3?

No, that's for my car. The stock size on my car isn't much different. $225/each I believe. Tires are just super expensive anymore. Last time I bought tires, I think I paid $500 for the set mounted, balanced and out the door. I'm having a bit of sticker shock.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

$380 mounted and balanced. :cool:

Riken makes some fairly nice cheap summer tires. Dunno if I'd try track driving them, but for occasional spirited driving around and dealing with Florida thunderstorms they're excellent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:cool:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

I've got a lot to learn, but that's all a part of the fun anyway. I'll be looking a whole bunch more too but yeah seems like the whole thing is running at 24v. That throws all sorts of stuff too like the stereo right?

Not sure what the factory radio setup is but that looks aftermarket so who knows anyway.

My mate had one many years ago and it came from Japan with a 12v aftermarket stereo, don't think he ever found where the converter was or if it was factory or aftermarket but I do know it had issues running a fancy high power double-din unit but was fine with a factory one pulled from a Corolla or something

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

It went VERY quickly downhill from here, and the garage is now a complete disaster. On the plus side, i'm going to have so much space for organization. and so much work space, and work space that's not at testicle level.

I'm interested in your power strip/work light bar there. that's pretty neat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'm interested in your power strip/work light bar there. that's pretty neat.

It's this thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Outlet-Workshop-Center-Charger-Pivoting/dp/B0764WY6ML

the 2 lights fold down to 90 degrees so i can point them down at the bench or out at an engine bay, and it has a phone/tablet holder and 2 usb plugs. It's handy as all hell.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 27, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

https://smile.amazon.com/ZESEN-10-O...harger+Pivoting

I think that's it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

https://smile.amazon.com/ZESEN-10-O...harger+Pivoting

I think that's it.

Yeah, fixed my link, different brand name but same item. costco had them cheap before christmas, but now don't even have them listed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

It's this thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Outlet-Workshop-Center-Charger-Pivoting/dp/B0764WY6ML

the 2 lights fold down to 90 degrees so i can point them down at the bench or out at an engine bay, and it has a phone/tablet holder and 2 usb plugs. It's handy as all hell.

Ugh, gently caress you. Bought two.

E: Apparently they were the last two, but also not. That's odd.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A3th3r posted:

So how much of a bite did that take out of your ramen budget?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stop taking the bait ya doofus

It looks like I get to check the timing on my car and swap the battery because I'm 99% sure the seller screwed his timing job up and the battery is close to dead.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Spent $860 to have someone else do things to the zx2 instead. While I was 20 minutes away from home, the loving idler pulley for the timing belt snapped off and some mechanic had to get the bolt out of that cramped space.
Before:

After:

Also I did one of the front wheel bearings in november but forgot to post it. Here's a big album of that
https://imgur.com/a/DMunc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

brand engager posted:

Spent $860 to have someone else do things to the zx2 instead.

Good god, what's the car even worth before you did this? Agreed though, that looks like a pain in the rear end.

Put on my hitch and assembled the bike rack. Only took one 12" extension and socket to the teeth when it slipped out of my hand while trying to thread one of the nuts on. :haw: I picked up the washer there in the picture after this was posted, not noticing it before.

Also put on my sweet $16 paddle shifter extensions.

There are nicer ones that replace the whole plastic piece with different material and they're large enough to actually use (unlike stock ones), but I think these will work for the moment. You know, for that 1 time per week I actually use the paddles. :v: Then I threw some wiper blades on two other cars in the fleet and cleaned off the workbench so it's somewhat useable. It had been collecting some poo poo.