Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Whiz Palace posted:

The Good Place will do it with just four.

Nah, if anyone gets to talk to God directly, it will be Jason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK, but really which hat is the right choice?

The other one.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

There Bias Two posted:

Nah, if anyone gets to talk to God directly, it will be Jason alone.

And God will appear to Jason in the form of Blake Bortles sitting on a throne of jalapeño poppers.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

pwn posted:

NBC had a midseason preview program in the Carson Daly slot on Friday night, and there was a brief Good Place recap and briefer preview of the finale. I recorded it but someone got a cam of it uploaded so that’s good enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBPoc_ZWcC4

It’s obviously spoiler-ish, but suffice to say, they’re directly addressing the systemic problem of improper placement

This is exactly what I've been hoping for since the first season.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

That's not how mental illness or literary criticism work.

I had no idea who she was and was pretty disappointed when she showed up, given the speculation about who'd play the judge before the episode aired. Apparently she's had minor roles in about three shows I've seen, some of them years ago now.

There are so many schools of literary criticism. Is it even possible to make a general statement without it being wrong somewhere?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FELD1 posted:

And God will appear to Jason in the form of Blake Bortles sitting on a throne of jalapeño poppers.

Series finale will be them finally getting to the Good Place. They'll be walking up the white marble stairs as the end credits start playing and when they finally meet God it's Marcus Mariota.

Fade to black as Jason goes, "Homies, I think we're still in the bad place"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Thanks to mismanagement and boundless faith in a series of shifty contractors, the Good Place isn’t actually finished and so no one can go there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fruit on the bottom posted:

Thanks to mismanagement and boundless faith in a series of shifty contractors, the Good Place isn’t actually finished and so no one can go there.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the Good Place opens!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
They hyped the eternal judge's casting up way too much for the big reveal to be Maya Rudolph

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't know if one tweet is "hyping it up too much"

I think this thread maybe hyped it up too much.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
She's Minnie Ripperton's daughter and Paul Thomas Anderson's wife not to mention a comedienne of some note. That's big.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Danny Devito as both God and Satan.Just like different hats or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Hologram George Burns.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i haven't done week-to-week watching of a half hour show in a long time. i think it makes me more impatient

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tree Dude posted:

I don't know if one tweet is "hyping it up too much"

I think this thread maybe hyped it up too much.

It was one tweet by one of the actors, that may or may not have also had a reference to one of her previous roles. If it was a truly huge name like Obama or Tom Hanks, NBC would have promo'd the poo poo out of it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It wasn’t even a tweet, it was an interview with D’Arcy Carden. We just got too hype.

Edit: an interview with Jameela Jamil ffs :eng99:

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 31, 2018

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

I had no idea who she was and was pretty disappointed when she showed up, given the speculation about who'd play the judge before the episode aired.
She was a main featured player on SNL with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Will Forte, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, etc., and has had roles in a bunch of their projects. So unless you saw absolutely no SNL or related film & TV in the past almost 20 years, I don't know what to tell you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
SNL hasn't been worth watching since buckwheat stopped singing, so that's not much of a stretch.

I recognized the judge from somewhere but had absolutely no idea who she was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maya Rudolph is criminally underrated, and I am sad to see people itt who either don't like her or don't know who she is.

Y'all goin' to the bad place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sticklefifer posted:

She was a main featured player on SNL with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Will Forte, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, etc., and has had roles in a bunch of their projects. So unless you saw absolutely no SNL or related film & TV in the past almost 20 years, I don't know what to tell you.

I have never in my life seen a single episode of SNL. I'm only vaguely aware of what it even is. A topical sketch show? I don't think it's ever been on Australian TV and all I ever hear people say about it is that it "used to be funny".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I knew who she was and after the first scene it was clear she was the perfect choice.

If you were disappointed because she wasn't famous enough rather than judging based on how well she captured her character, then in the wise words of Eleanor Shellstrop: "Ya basic!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was devastating you are devastated right now.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I vaguely remember someone way up-thread predicting that Maya Rudolph would be the judge, so I wasn't surprised when she appeared. I was very pleased to see her though, and she was pretty much perfectly cast. One of the many criminally under-worked actors out there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I have never in my life seen a single episode of SNL. I'm only vaguely aware of what it even is. A topical sketch show? I don't think it's ever been on Australian TV and all I ever hear people say about it is that it "used to be funny".

Perhaps you aren't in a position to have an informed opinion about how famous various celebrities are.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tiggum posted:

It's actually quite good again. It's been on for like 40 years so yeah there's some peaks and troughs but I'd be surprised if you weren't familiar with a lot of comedians that made their name on SNL.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

At its worst, SNL is the show that funny people go on to become famous so they can launch other, much funnier projects.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Regy Rusty posted:

I knew who she was and after the first scene it was clear she was the perfect choice.

If you were disappointed because she wasn't famous enough rather than judging based on how well she captured her character, then in the wise words of Eleanor Shellstrop: "Ya basic!"

i like Maya Rudolph and i thought she was good in the show. for me it was just confusion after i read the interview with Jameela where she made the "poo poo yourself" comment. i assumed this meant it would be someone more "unexpected" like when goons were speculating wacky stuff like Steve Austin. on the other hand Rudolph is one of the biggest guest stars they've had so far. and who knows maybe Jameela was referencing Bridesmaids, which I thought was great, but I don't remember every gag from every movie I've ever seen :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've only just recently seen the opening episodes of season 4 of Brooklyn 99 where Maya Rudolph turns up, so for me it was just a bit 'oh, her again.' She was definitely good though, and I hope she hangs around for a bit longer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Maya Rudolph is great but she has exactly one character

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

theflyingexecutive posted:

Maya Rudolph is great but she has exactly one character

Not at all, the judge is completely different from her B99 character.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I don't get that criticism at all.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Who are themselves completely different from multi-Grammy winner Dionne Warwick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

When was she in Brooklyn 99?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

FactsAreUseless posted:

When was she in Brooklyn 99?

She was the weird federal agent when Jake and the Captain were in witness protection.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

I don't know why you were "disappointed" then, because it's not American TV's fault that an Australian doesn't know who American TV actors are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sorry if Tiggum was hoping for Hugh Jackman or Cate Blanchett.

E: this was originally a joke about not knowing any actors from Australia, which a cursory google search revealed to be resoundingly untrue.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yah Aussie actors are like English actors in that they're very talented and everywhere.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

Yah Aussie actors are like English actors in that they're very talented and everywhere.

So... like American actors?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

FELD1 posted:

So... like American actors?

In terms of working outside their own country's movie business and in the American system instead, rather.

American actors don't really move on to another country's movie or tv business b/c the American industry is the one everyone else wants to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know why you were "disappointed" then, because it's not American TV's fault that an Australian doesn't know who American TV actors are.

Are you saying you didn't want Jason Donovan or Carl from Neighbours to be the judge? This whole thing is disappointing :colbert:

• Locked thread