Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

T+0:08 to T+0:10, Impulse 1

Carwash braces the bipod against the flat surface of the rock and lines the posts up on the Tango that killed Sticky. Orienting herself, she spots a Tango running along the road on the far side of the buildings!

Radec IDs a second Tango in the low building.

code:
RADEC FIRING ON TANGO 9
Skill: 11
Aim Time: 8 (-3)
Range: 24 (+10)
Target in Cover: +2
Prone Shooter: +6
Effective Accuracy: 26
Hit Chance: 99%

SUCCESS!

Arc of Fire: 0.5 hexes
ROF: 6
Hit Chance: 36%

3 HITS!

Mouth: 14000 Damage (Broken Teeth, Bleeding in Throat, Spinal Fracture)
Right Hand: 15 Damage (Fractured Metacarpals, Continues into Base of Neck)
Base of Neck: 16000 (Sternum Fracture, Torn Windpipe, Spinal Fracture)
Right Hand: 15 Damage (Fractured Metacarpals, Continues into Base of Neck)
Base of Neck: 16000 (Sternum Fracture, Torn Windpipe, Spinal Fracture)

T+0:08 to T+0:10, Impulse 2

Carwash completes her aim and hoses down Tango 8 with a long burst that shatters his pelvis and sends him collapsing into the pit. Radec pauses, aims at Tango 10, and ruins large parts of his digestive system with a well-placed burst.

code:
CARWASH FIRING AT TANGO 8
Aim Time: 3 (-10)
Range: 43 (+6)
Bipod Braced: +4
Effective Accuracy: 19
Hit Chance: 78%

Arc of Fire: 0.7
ROF: 8
Hit Chance: 24%

2 HITS!

Left Thigh - Flesh: 572 Damage
Hip - Intestines - Pelvis: 358 Damage (Intestinal Tear, Pelvic Fracture)
code:
RADEC FIRING AT TANGO 10
Aim Time: 2 (-12)
Range: 25 (+10)
Effective Accuracy: 17
Hit Chance: 69%

SUCCESS!

Arc of Fire: 0.5 hexes

3 HITS!

Lower Chest - Stomach - Kidney: 2200 Damage (Renal Injury, Stomach Tear, Rib Fracture)
Hip - Intestines - Pelvis: 259 Damage (Pelvic Fracture, Intestinal Tear)
Lower Chest - Liver - Kidney: 3400 Damage (Renal Injury, Liver Trauma, Rib Fracture)
T+0:08 to T+0:10, Impulse 3 AND 4

A second passes in silence. Fyksen goes prone next to Carwash and ponders the situation; Carwash saw a Tango pass on the far side of the low building, but the western side of the building is completely obscured by a thick wall of smoke...

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Whoo-hoo! One kill for Carwash in a Carwash-y way!

Does the system model suppression? If it does, FIRE INTO THE SMOKE AND GIVE THAT TANGO SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Sign me up as Maximilian "Genghis" Khan

Radec just loving hosed those dudes despite the relatively low hit-chances. Rock n' roll seems to be working out for him.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Did Tango 10 get both kidneys shot in the same burst, or did the same kidney somehow manage to get nailed by two separate bullets? Either way, there's an awful lot of intestinal damage going on in this firefight. Kinda redefines "no guts, no glory" I suppose.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

T+0:10 to T+0:12

Team 2 rounds the rocks and are in position to assault the three-storey building.

Fyksen IDs a Tango running towards the buildings!

T+0:12 to T+0:14

While Team 2 cautiously approach the buildings, Carwash pivots her MAG to where Fyksen is pointing and acquires a sight picture.

Caught in the enfilade, Tango 12 doesn't live long. Carwash turns towards the south and finds a new spot of rock to brace her bipod on. Then she starts laying down suppressive fire through the smoke. She doesn't hear any screams, so she does it again. Still no screams. Then again, it's not like she can hear much over the roar of the MAG.

code:
CARWASH FIRING AT TANGO 12
Range: 28 (+9)
Standing Target: +14
Effective Accuracy: 34
Hit Chance: 100% - Automatic

Arc of Fire: 0.4 hexes
Narrow Target Profile

5 HITS!

Weapon Hit: Major Damage
Base of Neck: 37000 Damage (Sternum Fracture, Windpipe Tear, Spinal Fracture)
Lower Chest - Liver - Spine: 41000 Damage (Liver Trauma, Spinal Fracture)
Hip - Intestines - Pelvis: 538 Damage (Intestinal Tear, Pelvic Fracture)
Right Shoulder Glance: 11 Damage
code:
CARWASH FIRING AT OPEN GROUND (2x)
Range: 36 (+7)
Blind Fire: -14
Effective Accuracy (Standing): 18
Effective Accuracy (Crouching): 15
Effective Accuracy (Kneeling): 12
Effective Accuracy (Prone/Firing Position): 6
Hit Chance: 74%/58%/44%/22%

Rolls: 94, 36

The second burst can hit Standing, Crouching, and Kneeing targets.

Arc of Fire: 9 hexes
Standing Hit Chance: 1.7%
Crouching/FP Hit Chance: 2.0%
Kneeling Hit Chance: 2.2%
T+0:14 to T+0:16

Team 2 continues their approach while Carwash continues burning through belts of 7.62 NATO. Fyksen assists her by linking belts and scanning for targets.

code:
CARWASH FIRING AT OPEN GROUND (3x)
Effective Accuracy (Standing): 18
Effective Accuracy (Crouching): 15
Effective Accuracy (Kneeling): 12
Effective Accuracy (Prone/Firing Position): 6
Hit Chance: 74%/58%/44%/22%

Rolls: 100, 68, 01

code:
CARWASH FIRING AT OPEN GROUND
Aim Time: 4 (-9)
Effective Accuracy (Standing): 19
Effective Accuracy (Crouching): 16
Effective Accuracy (Kneeling): 13
Effective Accuracy (Prone/Firing Position): 7
Hit Chance: 78%/63%/48%/25%

Rolls: 29

T+0:16 to T+0:18

Team 2 are sneaking around the building, Team 3 are denying enemy access to the North-South road. Carwash is firing controlled bursts and panning over the open ground, kicking up dirt, small rocks, new strata, undiscovered dinosaur bones...

Enemy spotted! Good job, Radec!

code:
Rolls: 98
code:
Rolls: 64, 55, 14
T+0:18 to T+0:20

Six shots lance out from Radec's FNC and find their home in the body of Tango 13. The man curls over, obviously unable to continue fighting. Team 2 execute a perfect 27-point infiltration around a building, annoyed that the architect didn't install a back door.

code:
RADEC FIRING AT TANGO 13
Aim Time: 2 (-12)
Range: 14 (+14)
Kneeling Target: +8
Effective Accuracy: 27
Hit Chance: 99%

SUCCESS!

Arc of Fire: 0.2
Wide Target Profile
Hit Chance: 83%

6 HITS!

Right Foot: 95 Damage (Fractured Metacarpals)
Lower Chest - Liver - Kidney: 7800 Damage (Liver Trauma, Renal Injury, Rib Fracture) 
Torso Glance: 16 Damage
Upper Chest - Heart: 600000 Damage (Sternum Fracture, Destroyed Heart, Spinal Fracture)
Base of Neck: 37000 Damage (Sternum Fracture, Ruptured Windpipe, Spinal Fracture)
Left Knee: 200 Damage (Shattered Knee Joint)
code:
Rolls: 31
code:
Rolls: 58, 37, 47
T+0:20 to T+0:22

Can you tell I don't want to find an interior map for the three-storey building?

Radec spots Tango 11 standing up and sneaking along the wall of the low building!

code:
Rolls: 01
code:
Rolls: 23, 48, 52
T+0:22 to T+0:24

Victoria Frankenstein takes a look over the open landscape before turning to follow Shakey around the building corner. Just as she's about to cover their rear, she spots movement! A Tango is leaning out from cover just a stone throw in front of her., the muzzle pointed right at her. She feels her feet skid against the gravel as she lifts her Minimi - there's no time to shoulder it. She holds the trigger down and - despite her best efforts - squints. Half a second later she is, miraculously, still alive. Reflexes take over, she releases the trigger, and pulls again - with more control this time. Both fire, bullets pass each other on the way. It's only when Vicky can breathe again that she can see Tango 11's body and the trail of bullet wounds running from a completely wrecked AK all the way up his arm to a gaping hole between two eyes so very, very dead.

ALL ENEMIES ELIMINATED
MISSION COMPLETE

code:
FRANKENSTEIN FIRING AT TANGO 11
Aim Time: 2 (-16)
Range: 9 (+17)
Hip Fire: -6
Effective Skill: 8
Hit Chance: 28%

MISS!
code:
Aim Time: 3 (-12)
Effective Skill: 12
Hit Chance: 44%

SUCCESS!

Hit Chance: 87%

7 HITS!

Weapon Hit
Weapon Hit
Weapon Hit
Right Elbow: 120 Damage (Elbow Joint Shattered, Continues into Shoulder)
Right Shoulder Scapula: 574 Damage (Scapula Fracture)
Neck - Throat - Spine: 35000 (Traumatic Tracheotomy, Spinal Fracture)
Forehead: 330000 Damage (Skull Fracture, Severe TBI)
code:
TANGO 11 FIRING AT FRANKENSTEIN
Skill: 9
Aim Time: 1 (-22)
Standing Target: +8
Hit Chance: 19%

MISS!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's some good murdering.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Not exactly the best first outing, but a win's a win.

Wonder what the payout's gonna look like and if we get salvage from the gear the bad guys dropped. If we do wind up getting salvage, is it possible to nick the OPFOR's MG? More firepower could be useful next op.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
:stare:

Wow. This has been a goddamned bloodbath, and it's all just small arms so far.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
:stare:

Jesus we got dropped right into the poo poo immediately on that one. Shakey Jake lives to fight again by the narrowest of margins.

:rip: Brave Deadgoons

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

MISSION REPORT: FOR A FEW EUROS MORE

Personnel

e: Tatham should have 1.1 EXP

EXP goes towards increasing a character's combat skills.

Enemy
Captured: 5
Killed: 8
Escaped: 0

Since you lack anyone skilled at interrogation, your prisoners are whiskered away to and intelligence agency where the intel they provide may, some day, eventually, filter down to you.

Captured Equipment
2x PKM (4x Extra Belts)
9x AKM (33x Extra Magazines)
1x Broken AKM

Outcome
Budget Risk: Decreased
Funding: Increased

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

:ghost:" Assault team 1 one really got it's poo poo wrecked. Well, so long and good luck Goons. Till we meet again!"

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
From a purely mathematical standpoint, in an engagement with roughly equal numbers (they had 13, you had 10) where neither side had heavy weapons and you were sweeping thorugh a partially fortified area the enemy was dug in? You had two dead, two injured, and neutralized the entire enemy gruop?

So that's not the wrost casualty ratio for mission completion under those circumstances.

Mission plan was good given intel available and what equipment the team had going in.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

yeah this was a pretty ideal end result all things considered. Pretty sure we'll have to expect severe casualties on our ops.

Now how does leveling up work?

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 31, 2018

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well all right, then.

Did either of the non-lethal injuries cause permanent damage, or is that something that gets rolled later?

EDIT
Also, sign up Brad McBride, a drunken Scottish soccer hooligan who woke up one day with a dickbutt tattoo on the back of his neck, and enrolled into some kind of combat squad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Piat don't i get xp for my hellishly sweet noscope headshot what kind of dumb game is this

E::zaeed:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 31, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hoping to be in the reserves as Expendable Lad. If possible want a bullseye painted on my kevlar.

Edit: Gah, already was enlisted. Ignore.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 31, 2018

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

That’s a pretty nice haul, all told! Might wanna keep those MGs and at least consider selling some of the AKMs for some extra dosh. Who knows, money we get from selling them off may very well come in handy.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 31, 2018

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Did Tango 10 get both kidneys shot in the same burst, or did the same kidney somehow manage to get nailed by two separate bullets?

Two different bullets.

sebmojo posted:

Piat don't i get xp for my hellishly sweet noscope headshot what kind of dumb game is this

Check it again!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did either of the non-lethal injuries cause permanent damage, or is that something that gets rolled later?

I'll do it later.

orcbuster posted:

Now how does leveling up work?

You increase skills directly through training or combat experience. The EXP you've earned is really "Learning Points". You can also acquire Learning Points through self-study or being taught. Each four weeks of self-study or week of being taught you get to roll against your Learning Roll once per each point of INT you have. Each success gives you a Learning Point towards the skill you're training. Fyksen has a Learning Roll of 16%.

It's a pretty slow process. You all have Gun Combat skills of 5, so you'll need to learn 24 points through experience and instruction. At least you have combat instructors on staff!

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

You increase skills directly through training or combat experience. The EXP you've earned is really "Learning Points". You can also acquire Learning Points through self-study or being taught. Each four weeks of self-study or week of being taught you get to roll against your Learning Roll once per each point of INT you have. Each success gives you a Learning Point towards the skill you're training. Fyksen has a Learning Roll of 16%.

So what was the EXP actually being awarded for, in this case? Successful shots taken?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Emy posted:

So what was the EXP actually being awarded for, in this case? Successful shots taken?

Incapacitated enemies. (It correlates strongly with successful shots.)

You get 0.1 LP per point the enemy had in their firearms skill, and 0.01 LP per point of armour they have. Each enemy squaddie was worth 0.9 LP and the enemy squad leader was worth 1.1 LP.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It going to be worth it to keep the salvaged weapons or just sell them? Or having them on inventory for use/training worth more than the few hundred bucks to be made from putting them on the international arms market?

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
The idea of EU special forces selling loot, potentially to future opponents, is absolutely hilarious. Please do that.

That mission, well :catstare: It was a fun read and this is the first LP that makes Phoenix Command seem playable.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Weapons and equipment OSP. Sacks will be provided for excess equipment; put it on eBay for the survivors' drinks fund.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

goatface posted:

Don't get shot with an lmg at 20 yards seems like a generally good life goal.

Wait a second, how far was the—

LatwPIAT posted:

T+0:22 to T+0:24

Oh. 16 yards.

LatwPIAT posted:

code:
Aim Time: 3 (-12)
Hit Chance: 44%

SUCCESS!

Hit Chance: 87%

7 HITS!

Weapon Hit
Weapon Hit
Weapon Hit
Right Elbow: 120 Damage (Elbow Joint Shattered, Continues into Shoulder)
Right Shoulder Scapula: 574 Damage (Scapula Fracture)
Neck - Throat - Spine: 35000 (Traumatic Tracheotomy, Spinal Fracture)
Forehead: 330000 Damage (Skull Fracture, Severe TBI)

Yeah don't get shot with an LMG at 16 yards either.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Well, do as you wish with the AKs but we're keeping the PKMs. They're light, they've got punch, ammunition is wonderfully available (if not always totally reliable) and most importantly, they're more MGs. More = better.

Can I actually suggest that we spend a lot of training time on PT so that more people can practically carry more machine guns? We've seen what automatic fire can do in this game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Transform the Goon Squad into Goon Heavy Machinegun Company!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sign me up as Kendrick Lomarf

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

LatwPIAT, what's Tatham's limitations while laid up? I assume I'm on the reserve list while someone else moves up into squad leader. If possible I'd like to engage in some PT and some training while recovering.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
LatwPIAT, does Phoenix Command simulate morale too? Let's see those tables to determine what way your character calls for his or her mother while writhing in pain/dying. :getin:

Judging by your explanation about exp, I'd guess their are no rules for morale. Which would seem like a missed chance.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Hypnobeard posted:

LatwPIAT, what's Tatham's limitations while laid up? I assume I'm on the reserve list while someone else moves up into squad leader. If possible I'd like to engage in some PT and some training while recovering.

The strict limitations by the rules is that you reduce your combat actions by a twentieth of the wound's remaining healing time. You probably also want to spend the first third of the Healing Time in the hospital, since doing that reduces the Healing Time by a fifth.

Beyond that, you could be sent on a combat deployment the minute after you leave the operating ward. Barring exceptional circumstances, that's not going to happen though. So I recon that Tatham can, after spending days in a hospital bed, start PT and training.

By spending 45 minutes daily on physical excercise, a character can get +1 to STR. The more time you spend daily practicing, the greater the bonus (up to +4 for 7 hours 30 minutes daily), but time spent improving STR is also time not spent learning other skills. This has to be kept up; the STR bonus will eventually be lost if you don't keep at it.

Pea posted:

Judging by your explanation about exp, I'd guess their are no rules for morale. Which would seem like a missed chance.

There are morale rules, though I haven't been using them so far.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Gunz

We now have more than one choice per class of weapon so I'm going to take a look at them, because frankly I don't understand this game system at all and they say the best way to learn is to teach.

Rifles

FN FNC

vs.

Izhmash AKM Khyber Machine Workshop Avtoblyat Kalshnokova

Now, let's studiously compare them on every single trait :sparkles:

Ergonomics
Length: AKM is shorter, probably irrelevant. If we can fold our FNCs down then that's equally irrelevant but switches the order.
Weight: AKM is a reasonable amount lighter, possibly handy...
AW (Ammunition weight): ...but the advantage immediately disappears if you want to take any ammunition with you. By the time you have two reloads the design philosophy of 5.56 becomes clear.
Ammunition: 30 and 30+1 isn't exactly a huge difference, definite draw.
Reload speed: Draw

Overall Ergonomics: Pretty much a draw, FNCs are better if you're concerned about weight and are carrying a lot of ammo, AKMs are better if you're concerned about weight and are carrying very little ammo (MG Assistants, for example)

Accuracy
SAB (Sustained Automatic Burst accuracy): A penalty to accuracy while firing multi-turn bursts. I don't know if that's going to come up on these weapons without us finding some C-Mags for the FNC because I don't understand the system and exactly what a 'turn' is. FNC is much better at it though.
Accuracy (Snapshots): AKM has less worse accuracy penalties at the low end of the aim time list, meaning that it's more accurate than the FNC without any sort of aiming.
Accuracy (Aimed fire): The AKM actually maintains an accuracy advantage or draw for a surprising amount of time before it reaches maximum possible accuracy and the FNC continues to the lofty height of 'no penalty'. In as much as we have a designated marksman weapon, the FNC is it. Great.
MA (Minimum Arc): The minimum number of hexes that an automatic burst from the weapon must cover at a given range. Trying to do automatic fire at an enemy standing next to a friendly at 70 hexes (140 yards) probably won't end brilliantly with either gun. The FNC is better at it but again, I don't really understand if that's worth having.
BA (Ballistic Accuracy): Basically only used for engaging things that are beyond your theoretical maximum range. I just had a bit of a think about how large a hex map we're going to need for that to actually come into play and I'm pretty sure that our choices are either never using this stat or watching Latw ruin her life in a descending spiral of ballistics calculations and keeping track of reduced weight by the bullet.
TOF (Time of Flight): The time of flight of a projectile to a given range in tenths of seconds, handy for your Squad Leader figuring out whether to write to your grieving parents "He was killed by the man who he had just killed" or "He killed the man who had just killed him". Presumably has some other opaque utilities. FNC is better at it, in common with its by-now standard domination of stats I don't really get.
3RB (Three Round Burst): The measure of the tightness of a three round burst. The FNC is better at it by default because Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov decided that a fourth position on the selector switch was the sort of profligate capitalist waste his rifle didn't need. Less than 0 means the group is so tight you're not really increasing the probability of hitting much; the bullets go where you aimed them which is bad if you aimed poorly. Greater than 0 means the group is so spread out that even if you had a perfect sight picture, the bullets may fly on either side of the target. A sensible man, Kalashnikov.

Overall Accuracy: Stunningly, I think AKM. Not what I'd have expected but I'm trading of the certainty of a fast snap-fire against a bunch of sustained-fire stats and a smidge of marksmanship. The FNC is definitely the better machine gun but we have nine machine guns to do that now.

Killyness
ROF: Both guns have single-shot mode, the FNC has a three round burst but the AKM can only fire five shots per whatever to the FNC's six.
PEN: Penetration value, deals with how much cover, armour and person a bullet can go through. More is better, FNC has considerably more.
DC: Damage Class, how hard you're hitting what you penetrate. More is very better, but the weapons draw.
KD: Knockdown. AKM is better and therefore is the superior home defence weapon for when the gubbermint come to take your guns. Not sure what else this does, I can't really think of any advantages to knocking people over in itself, they'll just get back up like Tango 4 did.

Overall Killyness: Definitely the FNC. More bullets, going through more things.

CQC
Hahahaha. Just shoot the bugger.

Other stuff
If Latw decides to start bringing in things like actual logistics the AKM is much easier to operate on a shoestring. Famously simple, cheap ammo, no bother. Equally, on the tactical level, FNC magazines fit into a Minimi if you need that little extra bit of ammo *now*. Both of these are edge cases right now.

Conclusion: The light ammunition and better lethality of the FNC make it the better rifleman's weapon but I'd seriously consider the AKM for people we don't expect to see much direct combat. It's worth not chucking a couple of them in my opinion, at least until we can get a good deal on something better.

To be continued for the MGs...

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 31, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What does the M123 mean under "Range"?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think that refers to the ammunition type.

I was annoyed I didn't make the cut by 5 minutes but in retrospect since we took 40% casualties I'm not too upset. Lets hope the next one is less bloody.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

goatface posted:

What does the M123 mean under "Range"?

That's the ammunition type. What it means is that we're using the wrong ammunition, the M193 ball from Vietnam, rather than the NATO standard SS109/M855 round developed in Belgium specifically for the FN FNC and Minimi. That probably doesn't make too much difference really, slightly reduced DC for slightly increased PEN which seems to increase the damage you do anyway. Wake me when someone is selling us the posh new M855A1 ammo; Basic 5.56mm sometimes forgets what its job is and either tumbles while penetrating cover or goes clear through bodies, M855A1 is supposedly more consistent and should give us slight advantages in DC, PEN and KD for a very low increased cost.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that bad?

edit - I mean, we got kickbacks from FN but they couldn't even hook us up with their own ammo standard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JcDent posted:

Transform the Goon Squad into Goon Heavy Machinegun Company!

Q: do you has stairs
A: RATATATATATAT. RATATAT. RATATATATATAT.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

AIMING, FIRING, AND YOU

This graph gives the chance to hit for any given Effective Accuracy level. For single shots, this is the probability the target is actually hit. For automatic fire, it's the probability the shots were fired at the correct height.

There are many factors that affect Effective Accuracy: the shooter's skill, the shooter's stance, the range to the target, the target's size, whether the is braced against a flat surface, whether the shooter is firing with one or two hands, the weight and sights of the weapon, how long the shooter has spent aiming their weapon, and more. Effective Accuracy starts at Gun Combat skill level and is increased and decreased by the situational modifiers. Once the Effective Accuracy has been determined, the chance of a hit is found and the dice are rolled to see how things go. The only real notes here are that a weapon's Ballistic Accuracy (BA) serves as an upper limit to Effective Accuracy. Effective Accuracy cannot be higher than BA+Target Size. Against moving targets, the Time of Flight, range to the target, and target speed also place an upper limit on Effective Accuracy.

Here we see the effects of different target profiles on regular and automatic fire.

Each weapon has a little table of aim times and accuracy modifiers. Each action spent aiming (most of our you have 8-9 actions to spend on aiming, running, and other combat actions) increases accuracy by a bit. The above graph gives the chance to hit a target in cover at 100 yards for different Aim Times for any of your characters for four different stances. Hip Fire is for unsighted fire from a Standing stance. It's also possible to shoot without using the sights from other stances. The action spent firing the weapon counts as aiming, so Aim Time is never less than 1.

Aim Time resets each time you fire, but if you keep aiming at the same target, you get a +1 Aim Time bonus.

With automatic fire, you can choose to not reset the Aim Time. If you do, you decrease your Effective Accuracy by the weapon's SAB (multiplied by the Minimum Arc modifiers, see below): the longer you fire the harder it is to keep the burst on the target.

Some situations limit accuracy: Unsighted fire (Hip Fire) cannot benefit from greater Aim Times than 6 actions - or 3 if you're firing a pistol! If you're moving the same turn you're aiming, your Aim Time has an upper limit of Combat Actions/4. If you using a single action to move and fire at the same time, Aim Time can't be higher than 1.

Range has drastic effects on accuracy. The above is for an average soldier (Skill 10) firing a FN FNC at max aim time (+0) from a standing posture while using the sights; Effective Accuracy 10 before range and target size modifiers.

A final note on automatic fire: If you do hit the correct elevation, you have to see if you actually managed to place any bullets on the target. This is based on how wide an arc you're covering:

Each bullet fired has the given probability of striking a target. If there are more targets in the arc, the chance at least one of them are hit increases further.

Most of the time you'll want a really narrow arc. This is where Minimum Arc comes in: you can't make your arc narrower than Minimum Arc, which places an upper limit to how precise your fire is. Strong characters can control automatic fire better, and decrease the Minimum Arc of the weapons they use. Using a bipod, tripod, or vehicle mount, and adopting a secure stance like Kneeling or Prone, narrows the arc further. Hip Fire is quite effective; hitting the correct elevation is difficult, but the arc gets just as narrow as if you'd been firing from a prone stance! One-handed fire, and firing while moving, do terrible things to Arc Width.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

LatwPIAT posted:

There are morale rules, though I haven't been using them so far.
Awesome stuff! Don't feel pressured to use them. The game seems crazy enough already.

It seems like a game I could really have gotten into and bought the sourcebooks. Although, I'm not fooling myself, it would have sat on my shelf unplayed due to a lack of gaming friends with similar tastes. :smith:

Another question: Does it have rules for ablative cover, flamethrowers and armor spalling, the effects of (combat) drugs, fatigue and the like? It seems like this would be just the type of game that would be that nuts to include all that.
Seriously, how did anyone play this in the 80s? It seems to have the kind of maths a computer is better suited for but in pen and paper form. Did anyone actually play this when it was released?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
After my brief hospital stay I think I want to be maxing PT.

Can I have one of the Minimis or PKM’s? I think I’ve earned it as the first goon to take one for the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

it's hilarious that the game designers envisioned this as God's Perfect Tactical Simulation Board Game but a normal engagement between two squads is easily over in 22 in-game seconds

• Locked thread