Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
If we were ever looking for a replacement for the Stimpire text....

:)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Toops posted:

Totally. It's a huge risk to do that much up-front design, because it could wind up being a tangled goat-gently caress. Or, it could all come together smooth and easy, and just not be fun. No matter how you do it, the project has to be run by very experienced people with clear vision, preternatural understanding of the market trends, and a history of being right.

Chris Roberts has none of these.

I will lord this over all the past believers forever: I had never, ever heard of Chris Roberts when SC buzz popped up in 2012. I'd never played any of his stupid games, and when I saw this picture:

I said this, out loud, to myself: "Who the gently caress is this stupid oval office? Some cult of personality bullshit goin on around here."

While that may be weird, I fuckin called it first. I love you all, but real talk, I can't loving BELIEVE any of you fell for this horse poo poo, at any point. It was a trainwreck from the word "pledge."

I hadn't heard of Roberts or his games before this either, or given him any money. I have no interest in space games so when the kickstarter launched I probably just ignored it because of that alone. Eventually I kept seeing news post that SC raised x amount of millions and I got curious, why are people giving that much money. And found the thread here in SA. I still don't really get why people gave him money I guess, he can't explain things clearly or can show his passion for his "vision" either.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Streetroller posted:

I put this into my Game Maker and I didn't get Squadron 42, what gives bro?

You didn't layer it correctly.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Redacted - 1/31/2018 - Highlight Reel

Doing this to give you guys and gals a temperature reading from three regulars and their audience.

(Note to Twerk, Bored, and WTFO, as I assume at least one of you checks this thread on the regular... The audience calls are great — so were some submitted questions from your viewers. Particularly in this period of indeterminable waiting for the gameplay to arrive, you might consider moving this segment forward because it rewards the direct audience interaction and makes the show feel more like a dynamic conversation rather than just a “let’s discuss this week’s disappointments, delays and controversies.” I almost bailed on your show because the further out on CIG’s roadmap you got, the more caution seemed to give way to hope and theorycrafting. But the calls were worth it and added a real shot of color to your show so I hope you’ll give them their proper place. You might find viewership climb and engagement goes up if viewer calls become a prominent fixture. Anyway, just my $.02.)

Twerk & WTFOsaurus don’t care about ships anymore...

WTFOsaurus expects Bind Culling to add 3 to 5 additional frames per second.

Twerk played other games this week, the. Came back to Star Citizen and felt nauseous.

3.2 is discussed, particularly the new clothing options. Twerk, “They’re redoing Legacy Armor for the third loving time. Later, “I’m starting to feel like... am I being negative? Or have we wasted time.”

Discussions shift to the impossible laundry list of 3.2 gameplay features supposedly coming. Twerk asks Bored what they should name their Mining operation. Bored, “I don’t know — I haven’t even thought about it. I can’t imagine gameplay.”

Boredom and theorycrafting until they take a question from voicemail from a player called Commander420. He seems to make a subtle joke about being one of their weed dealers. The voicemail is actually :lol::lol::lol: in a goofy, committed way and worth listening to.

A boring theorycrafter’s voicemail follows, and then TheOperator calls bullcrap on CIG and aUEC ship sales. He thinks starter ships may be purchaseable via credit but that the ships people want will remain cashmoneysales only because CIG is too greedy to do otherwise. He expects Land Claims and player housing / buildings / apartments will be aUEC purchasable (an interesting alternative option) but the good ships? No way. WTFO agrees short term, but for launch CIG surely won’t go back on that promised feature.

They take a write-in question about Haters who spam theories of doom regarding the Crytek lawsuit. They recommend French & YoutuberLaw videos.

CrimsonFire: “Why are they making Shipjacking Armor if we can’t properly steal ships?” Boom! They all crack up because whatelseyagonnado?

There is more I skipped but this is a decent highlight reel. The best moment was Commander420’s call — I :lol:’d.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hello thread

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol. Back peddling to appease.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

It's been nearly a week. They can't even provide damage control on time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hey, cut them some slack. They only have 5 community managers.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

We're through the looking glass here, people.

:stare:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Went through my inbox and found a bunch of unredeemed Humble Bundle games that have just been sitting there because I already owned them when I bought the bundles.

Ziggurat
Kentucky Route Zero
The Stanley Parable
Grim Fandango Remastered

Pretty awesome games if you ask me. I'm giving them away for free, obviously, and it's been a few months so I hope they still work. I don't know if there's a time limit on that poo poo. Anyway, just say which one you want and I'll PM you the link/code.

Mangoose fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Everything's fine. All the things you wanted will be there.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mangoose posted:

Went through my inbox and found a bunch of unredeemed Humble Bundle games that have just been sitting there because I already owned them when I bought the bundles.

Ziggurat
Kentucky Route Zero
The Stanley Parable
Grim Fandango Remastered

Pretty awesome games if you ask me. I'm giving them away for free, obviously, and it's been a few months so I hope they still work. I don't know if there's a time limit on that poo poo. Anyway, just say which one you want and I'll PM you the link/code.

Put me down for Kentucky Route Zero please.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Baxta posted:

Even the things that contradict the other things. They’re all in there. Somewhere.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Mangoose posted:

Ziggurat
Kentucky Route Zero
The Stanley Parable
Grim Fandango Remastered

If Grim Fandango is available, I'll take that one. Thank you!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Baxta posted:

*Disclaimer: Not all of the things you wanted will actually be there.
*Disclaimer 2: This project is a trash fire. Please send help.
*Disclaimer 3: Or get a refund. Save yourselves!

but you know. In tiny font with font-color same as background.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zadda posted:

I hadn't heard of Roberts or his games before this either, or given him any money. I have no interest in space games so when the kickstarter launched I probably just ignored it because of that alone. Eventually I kept seeing news post that SC raised x amount of millions and I got curious, why are people giving that much money. And found the thread here in SA. I still don't really get why people gave him money I guess, he can't explain things clearly or can show his passion for his "vision" either.

Nostalgia and hope mostly. 2012 was when Kickstarters were still full of potential and not the boulevard of broken dreams that we see now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I must admit I spent hours on Privateer as a kid (and finished it -- not the expansion though). But to me at the time it was exciting to listen to the (terrible and muffled) voice acting and space jump between star systems doing missions. The controls and the gameplay was awful (and holy poo poo that last troll enemy) but I didn't fully appreciate just how terrible those were until I recently re-bought the thing on GOG and tried to replay it. Good lord I barely lasted one hour.

I also spent many hours on Privateer 2 (unsure about Crobblz involvement). Mostly because of a combination of FMV, better controls and testing out my new Pentium II performance. I dread to replay that these days as I can do without another disappointment.

Other than that I've had little interest in the WC games and I only tried Freelancer for a few minutes before deciding that I'm done with that poo poo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

So, you don't get the multiplier, or legal fees, but you can recover all profits/damages, and yank the property.

Kinda. If you rip off something by someone else and it wasn't registered with a copyright, you can still be sued to stop doing it, but if the work is registered, you are presumed to have acted with malice, so it all goes up a grade.

That's why copyright notices are displayed up front, and why the internet was so much fun in the early days. I had to talk to the New Scientist ~ Laura Spinney, in fact ~ regarding the use of articles online. Paraphrase, do not copy was her advice.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Waiting for the first time fauna start clipping out of the biodome and the resulting rain of animals on the local MOON/PLANET/METEORITE BASE/ETC.

A better death than a rain of boxes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

Waiting for the first time fauna start clipping out of the biodome and the resulting rain of animals on the local MOON/PLANET/METEORITE BASE/ETC.

A better death than a rain of boxes.

If they ever put fauna in the game (lol at that entire sentence) it'll be lovely nonmoving art assets like all their "npc" characters, and I'm going to purposely shove them out of ships over common landing areas because gently caress this whole endeavor.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

In Monster Hunter World you can catch creatures with a wrist mounted netgun and let them loose in your house. I have a pink rabbit weasel and a bunch of goofy birds in my room.

Also everyone should buy MHW.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

G0RF posted:

Discussions shift to the impossible laundry list of 3.2 gameplay features supposedly coming. Twerk asks Bored what they should name their Mining operation. Bored, “I don’t know — I haven’t even thought about it. I can’t imagine gameplay.”
Star Citizen: I can't imagine gameplay

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wait! So basically he's saying the dev was talking about implementing a feature in the near 3.0 - 3.1 term, even though NONE of that even exists in 3.0, nor scheduled for 3.1 - 3.4?!?

Hold my beer....

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
I don't think the backers are going to let them get past the whole No Piracy/breaching/ship theft fiasco. They stuck their foot in it big time and they have nowhere to run. Lando nailed their rear end to the wall with it by doubling down on the November comment. There is one thing that made me realize there was never going to be any boarding or disabling of any ships for that nonsense anyway. Remember when they were refactoring in the new damage states of the ships and showing all those pipes and conduits under the skin? Can any of you point to one section of ANY of those ships and tell me where there was a section where the hull was/can be breached? Or were the Proper Manner Pirates supposed to knock on the front door and ask to be let in? I mean correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't there have to be a pre-rendering of that sort of damage to facilitate that game mechanic? There is even a Major Tom video where he glitched through the hull and ended up inside the actual bulkhead of a ship. No sign of those points of entry there either. The problem with long term lies such as this is that you have to keep remembering the lie in its evolution or else you get caught. Jared is just not good at his job at all. Not one bit. He does not have the gift of gab that he THINKS he does either especially when the people paying attention to him are not emotionally involved and will allow such faux pas to pass without notice.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

"You know how someone just made up some poo poo that was contrary to the other poo poo we made up which also didn't make sense in the first place if you looked at anything else we made up? Well get ready for us to completely change the poo poo we just made up that you didn't like by making up some poo poo that you will like.

No, this isn't an indication that we have no idea what any of this would actually be. Why would you think that?

Your assertion that the state of the game is so tenuous we can just make wildly conflicting statements about core mechanics in a short period of time based on whatever the person speaking thinks would be the best idea at the time of the question is false. What motive would we have for telling our customers that have given us $170,000,000 what they want to hear."

Backers will eat this poo poo up because they need to believe it. I call it "Autist's Razor." It's the exact opposite of Occam's Razor and you need to make as many assumptions as possible to prove the outcome you've chosen to believe.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 1, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wrong sig, that's clearly a Ryan Archer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

In Monster Hunter World you can catch creatures with a wrist mounted netgun and let them loose in your house. I have a pink rabbit weasel and a bunch of goofy birds in my room.

I'm saving myself for the PC version. The PC version I won't be able to play because I'm going to be out of state for over a year

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Streetroller posted:

Looks at his keyboard to find... the Backspace

Mne nravitsya posted:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I legit feel bad for anyone who still has passion for creativity and art that is dealing with Chris Roberts. I've worked in exactly the same type of situation a bunch of times. That's why the leak about Chris Roberts taking an entire day to describe how a bomber jacket should look rings extremely true.
You’re spot on, especially with the Chris assessment. I worked with Chris years ago at DA, and was so frustrated (as was the entire team) with him coming in every 4th day to work and changing everything based whatever he had seen the night before from some movie or tv show.

One of the things we used to laugh about (and his coding skills were at this level back then too) was him sitting at avid suite editing console and slowly pushing a random button, then looking up at the screen for a minute, then slowly pushing another random button and looking at the screen (this would go for hours). And yet Robert Rodrigues would swing by, sit down at the avid, and start typing on it like a 1950’s secretary on meth and then walk away 20minutes later with several shots completed.

I’m here because I know the pain that is in his studios, and I was genuinely curious if he would *actually* make a game this time. Turns out I was completely wrong about where his skills are: He makes money, not games.

:laffo::laugh::laffo:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm saving myself for the PC version. The PC version I won't be able to play because I'm going to be out of state for over a year

So you won't be able to play the release of SQ42. What a shame.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
goddamn those new RDR2 screenshots make SQ42/SC look dated as gently caress

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

I don't think the backers are going to let them get past the whole No Piracy/breaching/ship theft fiasco. They stuck their foot in it big time and they have nowhere to run. Lando nailed their rear end to the wall with it by doubling down on the November comment. There is one thing that made me realize there was never going to be any boarding or disabling of any ships for that nonsense anyway. Remember when they were refactoring in the new damage states of the ships and showing all those pipes and conduits under the skin? Can any of you point to one section of ANY of those ships and tell me where there was a section where the hull was/can be breached? Or were the Proper Manner Pirates supposed to knock on the front door and ask to be let in? I mean correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't there have to be a pre-rendering of that sort of damage to facilitate that game mechanic? There is even a Major Tom video where he glitched through the hull and ended up inside the actual bulkhead of a ship. No sign of those points of entry there either. The problem with long term lies such as this is that you have to keep remembering the lie in its evolution or else you get caught. Jared is just not good at his job at all. Not one bit. He does not have the gift of gab that he THINKS he does either especially when the people paying attention to him are not emotionally involved and will allow such faux pas to pass without notice.

Didn't they already write off that kinda poo poo back when they decided ship to ship docking was something they couldn't figure out?

I do remember them saying that ship hulls could only be breached for boarding in specific places, but that was before the PG poo poo really took root in everything they were doing.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Not out for PC yet :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Baxta posted:

Not out for PC yet :(

August or something. Hoping its not another lovely port that isn't even playable on release.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

goddamn those new RDR2 screenshots make SQ42/SC look dated as gently caress

Link for those interested: https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60346/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-is-Coming-October-26th-2018

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I have a hybrid peacock/pterodactyl thing chilling in my bedroom. He comes over for food and pets when I sit down. And yes, MHW is fantastic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

I like when he gets all uppity and links 20 blogs.

Besides, I've been right about plenty of things. I nailed the polaris pricing, I nailed the 2.6 release, SM code in 2.6 (turned on with the very next patch), I nailed ship names, etc etc. I lost my source so I don't "call" as many things anymore.

SQ42 Def: 2018. 2018 is the year.

CIG is a healthy company so why would they fire your friend? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Stay Safe Developer Source