Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real Name Grover posted:

Nebraska was down 11 with 10 minutes to go last night in Madison, but finished the game on a 30-8 run to win by 11. I can't imagine that having happened with many Husker teams in the past.

Our RPI/lack of quality wins makes the margin for error in reaching the tourney very thin, but heck, if they can do that on the road, I have some hope.

Hahahahah :suicide:

Wisconsin is an absolute garbage fire this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Hahahahah :suicide:

Wisconsin is an absolute garbage fire this year.

And they still beat Illinois by 25

:suicide:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Virginia is getting hammered by the flu right now apparently; combined with the ankle sprain DeAndre Hunter had in the Duke game it's possible they'll only dress 6 or 7 scholarship players against current 2nd-place ACC team Louisville. Right now the worst off are Mamadi Diakite, whose minutes are replaceable, and Devon Hall, whose aren't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Virginia is getting hammered by the flu right now apparently; combined with the ankle sprain DeAndre Hunter had in the Duke game it's possible they'll only dress 6 or 7 scholarship players against current 2nd-place ACC team Louisville. Right now the worst off are Mamadi Diakite, whose minutes are replaceable, and Devon Hall, whose aren't.

Gonna be the Jay Huff and Marco Anthony show.

Also, if it IS the Jay Huff and Marco Anthony show, I predict a 20 point loss.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
UNC freshman PG Jalek Felton suspended by the university this morning, and has lawyered up, apparently.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Cholmondeley posted:

UNC freshman PG Jalek Felton suspended by the university this morning, and has lawyered up, apparently.

Got to be sex stuff right? I mean sex stuff is really popular these days.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
eh it's Ray Felton's nephew could just be normal unlicensed gun possession

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Got to be sex stuff right? I mean sex stuff is really popular these days.

He's hired the same lawyer who got the Duke Lacrosse players off on the rape charge, could be. However, she is telling the press not to let her past cases shed light on the current one.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

PotatoJudge posted:

They'll need a deep Big Ten tournament run. There aren't many quality wins to be found in conference this year and the Huskers have single match ups with the few good teams.

17-8 (8-4) today with the next game coming a week from tonight.

Last six games:

@ Minn
Rutgers
Maryland
@ Ill
Indiana
Penn State

Believe me, I've been a pretty big Husker basketball fan since the, um, "glory days" of the Big 8 in the early 90s and therefore wired to expect a letdown, but that's a runnable table. Nevermind the weak schedule, — the thought around here is that 23 wins gets us in, be it winning out ahead of the conference tourney or finishing 4-2 and getting to the B1G title game. 22 miiiiiiiiight do it with a lot of help.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

17-8 (8-4) today with the next game coming a week from tonight.

Last six games:

@ Minn
Rutgers
Maryland
@ Ill
Indiana
Penn State

Believe me, I've been a pretty big Husker basketball fan since the, um, "glory days" of the Big 8 in the early 90s and therefore wired to expect a letdown, but that's a runnable table. Nevermind the weak schedule, — the thought around here is that 23 wins gets us in, be it winning out ahead of the conference tourney or finishing 4-2 and getting to the B1G title game. 22 miiiiiiiiight do it with a lot of help.

Not beating Kansas and Penn State (after coming back and forcing OT) is really hurting our chances.

But drat I would be so pumped for another NU tourney appearance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Big Ten being butt is gonna save Tim Miles' job

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MourningView posted:

The Big Ten being butt is gonna save Tim Miles' job

I feel like Nebraska is actually decent though. Yeah, it's somewhat a factor of the big ten being butt, but they've only been truly outmatched in one Big Ten game so far when MSU ran train on them. All four of their conference losses were on the road

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah it's as good a group as we've had here in ages, never mind that our two best guys are transfers. If James Palmer keeps his production up he'll be first team All-B1G

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
247 took a look at the rest of Tennessee's schedule and did a win/loss based on KenPom numbers.

It projects UT going 9-1 over the final 10 with the only loss coming against Kentucky.

No way that happens but it's pretty cool to see the numbers laid out like that.

https://247sports.com/college/tenne...tm_content=Link

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Poque posted:

I feel like Nebraska is actually decent though. Yeah, it's somewhat a factor of the big ten being butt, but they've only been truly outmatched in one Big Ten game so far when MSU ran train on them. All four of their conference losses were on the road

They were outmatched by Purdue too. No answer for Edwards and Haas.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

an enterprising Wolfpack fan paid to have this as a Snapchat filter at the Dean Dome next week:

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 1, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Troy Queef posted:

an enterprising Wolfpack fan paid to have this as a Snapchat filter at the Dean Dome next week:

:allears:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Troy Queef posted:

i'm imagining how hosed up and shaggy and matted and unkempt every single cat in your whole town has become in the last two years

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Someone is gonna make one that looks just like it with a speech bubble that says Weiner instead of Winner.

Because that’s what I thought it said at first

How much does something like that even cost?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If UVA can somehow manage to win their next two games, they’ll have a 3 game lead in the ACC standings with 8 games to go. Louisville is doable. I’ll believe they can beat Duke at Cameron when it happens.

So this happened. Pretty remarkable to have this kind of lead in the standings. Especially for a team that started the season unranked and picked to finish 6th in the league.

The moral of the story is sometimes guys transfer because there’s better talent behind them and their minutes are gonna dwindle if they stay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Purdue's last three games have been closer than I would have liked but I have to keep telling myself that those are the types of games that this team dropped in the past few seasons. Painter has the team playing full 40 minute games and it's really awesome to watch. Going into the season I was hoping for about 21 wins heading into March Madness and it's crazy to see them at 22-2 with a legit shot at the first 30 win season in school history.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

How much does something like that even cost?

A small geolocation filter for 2-3 hours is roughly $15

source: I process payments for poo poo like that constantly for our marketing department at the U of MN

e: I looked one up, on Saturday we have a filter that activates when in the student union from 11am-2pm, cost was $13.38

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2018

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So this happened. Pretty remarkable to have this kind of lead in the standings. Especially for a team that started the season unranked and picked to finish 6th in the league.

The moral of the story is sometimes guys transfer because there’s better talent behind them and their minutes are gonna dwindle if they stay.

Virginia has a three game lead AND all the tiebreakers over the three closest teams. IN JANUARY. We have four very winnable games (3 at home and at Pitt), and four tough away games left (Syracuse, FSU, Miami, Louisville).

Basically we'd have to lose four games for anyone else to have a chance at the ACCT 1 seed, and that's very unlikely. Playoff status puts our odds at 99%, and interestingly, has Clemson as the favorite for the 2 seed.

Transfers are almost always due to playing time. Our three transfers out would be the 8th, 9th, and 12th best players on this team. It's shocking how improved Guy, Jerome, and Hunter are.

Recruits, we have tons of playing time available next year! We'll have a solid starting five and a couple decent backups (Marco Anthony came out of nowhere to score 10 last night, he had 13 all year before that).

I'm about ready for all of our winning the past 5 years to impact recruiting positively. I would think our 2019 class could be a monster if some smart recruits look at how well we develop players, and how much playing time will be there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

Purdue's last three games have been closer than I would have liked but I have to keep telling myself that those are the types of games that this team dropped in the past few seasons. Painter has the team playing full 40 minute games and it's really awesome to watch. Going into the season I was hoping for about 21 wins heading into March Madness and it's crazy to see them at 22-2 with a legit shot at the first 30 win season in school history.

you should be quite pissed off if this Purdue team doesn't get to 30 wins this year. at worst they should be 27-4 at the end of the regular season. if they can't get 3 wins in the BTT and the NCAAT combined, that's bad.

Purdue hasn't lost this year on American soil.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Great Autismo! posted:

you should be quite pissed off if this Purdue team doesn't get to 30 wins this year. at worst they should be 27-4 at the end of the regular season. if they can't get 3 wins in the BTT and the NCAAT combined, that's bad.

Purdue hasn't lost this year on American soil.

I don't disagree, but anybody who goes into the tournament thinking Purdue won't be the first 1 to lose to a 16 isn't a true Purdue fan

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If the world was just, Duke would be the first 1 to lost to a 16. Unfortunately, we're in the Darkest Timeline, so it won't happen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

vikingstrike posted:

If the world was just, Duke would be the first 1 to lost to a 16. Unfortunately, we're in the Darkest Timeline, so it won't happen.

If it happened when they had the top 3 recruits in the nation it would just be the best thing possible.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

If it happened when they had the top 3 recruits in the nation it would just be the best thing possible.

I wouldn't be against it if Grayson Allen had some kind of crazy kicking meltdown a few minutes into the game and got tossed and while he was walking off the court his pants fell down and everyone saw he had a micropenis and then Duke became the first ever 1 seed to lose

I mean, if you believe in the multiverse, there's an infinite number of existences where this happens. that's fun to think about

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I wouldn't be against it if Grayson Allen had some kind of crazy kicking meltdown a few minutes into the game and got tossed and while he was walking off the court his pants fell down and everyone saw he had a micropenis and then Duke became the first ever 1 seed to lose

I mean, if you believe in the multiverse, there's an infinite number of existences where this happens. that's fun to think about

He doesnt get kicked out a few minutes into the game... He cries the whole game NEARLY getting kick out multiple times to build suspense. Then with like 2 minutes to go in the game he gets called for his 4th foul as he drives to the basket in a tie game on a very controversial charge call. He goes crazy but remains in the game. A couple of possessions later as the opposing team has a fast break, he gives up a lay-up in order to blatantly trip a ref. He gets tossed immediately.

Then all that other stuff you said happens.

Duke loses, and in the press conference afterwards coach K chooses not to answer any questions about the game itself, but spends the whole time defending Allen's actions and telling everyone what a warrior and great human being he is.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
HELL even if the multiverse isn't real then there's another universe in which it is

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

I hate Duke too but losing to a 16 seed is the culmination of everything the Bill Self era of Kansas basketball has been building to and I won't let it be taken from them

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2018

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

I hate Duke too but losing to a 16 seed is the culmination of everything the Bill Self era of Kansas basketball has been building too and I won't let it be taken from them

God willing

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Arizona's gonna lose in the first round this year but they aren't gonna be a 1 seed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think every Virginia fan's hopes for a 1 seed are tempered by an overwhelming fear of losing that opening game. If not, they haven't followed Virginia sports for long enough.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
in 2014 we were a 1 seed and down at the half to Coastal Carolina, whose bench went 5-6 from three. I posted something like "this is the most Virginia thing ever"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I kind of doubt it will be KU since Self changed the way he put teams together after those early losses running the combo guards and basically having two point guards. Less chance of both of them making GBS threads the bed at once.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

I hate Duke too but losing to a 16 seed is the culmination of everything the Bill Self era of Kansas basketball has been building to and I won't let it be taken from them

gently caress yo-

...no, you're completely right, just let us have this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

man what a delight it is to finally encounter a genuinely lovely wisconsin team

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wooooo Temple

Hoot hoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue is crushing Michigan's soul in basketball. Two insane games from the men and today the women held Michigan scoreless over the last 6:48 to erase a 16 point deficit and ended up winning by 2 in OT.

• Locked thread