Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
man that full page picture of kenny is just excellent.

oh jericho, thank you for being you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

New Japan put up a promo for Toru Yano's new DVD.

The main theme appears to be CHAOS visiting the Hello Kitty theme park, Sanrio Puroland.

https://njpwworld.com/p/o_original_0001_70

I really wish it was available in English somehow, it looks like a lot of fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ishii with the bow in his hair :swoon:

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Are the Toru Yano DVDs just Chaos guys hanging around and doing goofy poo poo?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man it took me a while to realize this with the post match angle but New Beginning was basically about Bullet Club getting completely bodied by Chaos AGAIN.

Chaos has every belt except HW tag and IC now, right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

And guided through it in a very Japanese variety show on the road way, yes.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Jerusalem posted:

Ishii with the bow in his hair :swoon:

This was my reaction. Hello Pitbull is adorable.

I decided to put some of my winnings from getting Nakamura in the pool at my friend's Rumble party toward my first NJPW merch: a YTR shirt. What can I say, he's a hell of a shill.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

VJeff posted:

Man it took me a while to realize this with the post match angle but New Beginning was basically about Bullet Club getting completely bodied by Chaos AGAIN.

Chaos has every belt except HW tag and IC now, right?

I think the Tongans have the trios, if that matteras.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TakaTaichiMania is on the RealHero Archive now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Some in game shots of the New Japan characters in Yakuza 6!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDt-HvR3sg

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That's actually great, thank you :)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
God drat, Kenny vs. Knife Pervert was really good. I feel like this gimmick might actually work in the long term? Which is something that seemed pretty hard to believe after Wrestle Kingdom

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i am a firm believer in the knife pervert

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

God drat, Kenny vs. Knife Pervert was really good. I feel like this gimmick might actually work in the long term? Which is something that seemed pretty hard to believe after Wrestle Kingdom

the general consensus here seemed to be pretty down on that match. Maybe people were fatigued after watching like 6 hours of wrestling with little sleep?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

I've gotten to the point where pretty much no matter what Gedo does, I have faith. The entire company is the anti-WWE in that respect for me.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Baron Corbyn posted:

the general consensus here seemed to be pretty down on that match. Maybe people were fatigued after watching like 6 hours of wrestling with little sleep?

i liked it but it was so overshadowed by all the stuff happening around it. like, anyone really coulda been in the knife pervert spot, but i thought he had a pretty good match with kenny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've gotten to the point where pretty much no matter what Gedo does, I have faith. The entire company is the anti-WWE in that respect for me.

I lost faith when I thought Okada would lose to Naito but I kept up a brave face and was rewarded.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jenny Angel posted:

I liked it a lot more than the average poster here seemed to as well. I do think it was a misstep to not have White lay out Page after Kenny pushed him, though, just to make him look a bit more sinister and competent.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I felt that with how quick he was ushered to the back and how all the post match was about Kenny, the title winner got made to look like an afterthought.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Incessant Excess posted:

I felt that with how quick he was ushered to the back and how all the post match was about Kenny, the title winner got made to look like an afterthought.

It's definitely that in part but you can also read it as Jay White barely surviving the match and getting out while he still has an energy left to move. The entire story of Switchblade vs Bullet Club is him picking a fight that he rightfully shouldn't win, but being just clever/crazy enough to make it work.

I really hope that he just washes Hangman without breaking a sweat. Like repeated Bladerunners until Cody throws in the towel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I liked it a lot more than the average poster here seemed to as well. I do think it was a misstep to not have White lay out Page after Kenny pushed him, though, just to make him look a bit more sinister and competent.

Upon reflection, just grabbing the belt and walking away was probably the most logical badass thing. White lays out Page, the rest of the BC would stomp his rear end, regardless of how they feel about things. White walking off, proudly displaying his prize, while Omega & co have relationship probs is pretty iconic. Knife Pervert leaves nothing but chaos and heartbreak in his wake.

perfect partner for YTR and Ishii, honestly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
White got exactly what he wanted. Bullet Club was crumbling just like he said it would. When your enemy is making a mistake, don't interrupt them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's probably gonna take a really good G1 run for people to buy on Knife Pervert. Not just against the Naito's and Omega's, but dragging good matches out of the Fale's and Tacos' in the lineup since White will be closer to the top of the table then the middle/low.

Speaking of the G1 that's half a year away, we're guaranteed two changes from last year's lineup with Nagata's G1 retirement and Kojima's ACL tear (and my gut instinct was that this would have been Kojima's swansong, have to see if he can recover enough to get one next year). White obviously gets one, the other one is up for grabs. Cody would be an obvious choice if he's willing to commit, after him I'm not sure if they look outside to either a Cobb/Keith Lee/gamble on Matt Riddle gaijin, or if they use someone already on the roster like Tanga Roa/Dave Finlay/Yujiro to come in and eat pins. I'd like to see KUSHIDA get a shot at a G1 since they haven't used a true junior following Devitt's run, and he wouldn't need more than a couple of wins to look strong.

There's also whether Elgin's pissed away his roster spot and/or if Ibushi's able to wrestle in the Budokan after his last stunt there, which would open up more doors accordingly.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Knife Pervert seems like the only guy in the company who actually watches the product

So far since he came back, he's figured out that:
-Tanahashi will give you a big payday match at a major show if you just interrupt him playing air guitar
-Joining the biggest domestic faction gets you title shots way more quickly than the loser gaijin faction
-How fragile Bullet Club really is, and how quick they are to ditch anyone who fails them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's probably gonna take a really good G1 run for people to buy on Knife Pervert. Not just against the Naito's and Omega's, but dragging good matches out of the Fale's and Tacos' in the lineup since White will be closer to the top of the table then the middle/low.

Speaking of the G1 that's half a year away, we're guaranteed two changes from last year's lineup with Nagata's G1 retirement and Kojima's ACL tear (and my gut instinct was that this would have been Kojima's swansong, have to see if he can recover enough to get one next year). White obviously gets one, the other one is up for grabs. Cody would be an obvious choice if he's willing to commit, after him I'm not sure if they look outside to either a Cobb/Keith Lee/gamble on Matt Riddle gaijin, or if they use someone already on the roster like Tanga Roa/Dave Finlay/Yujiro to come in and eat pins. I'd like to see KUSHIDA get a shot at a G1 since they haven't used a true junior following Devitt's run, and he wouldn't need more than a couple of wins to look strong.

There's also whether Elgin's pissed away his roster spot and/or if Ibushi's able to wrestle in the Budokan after his last stunt there, which would open up more doors accordingly.

Ibushi will be able to wrestle at Budokan

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of G1, I worry this year's tournament might only be absolutely magnificent rather than the greatest wrestling tournament in human history like last year's was :ohdear:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I thought both of Jay's big singles matches so far were really good, I've been pretty high on his in-ring work, and I feel like his promos and body language have been steadily improving. I guess that's not the consensus though? :shrug:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i liked jay white vs tanahashi more than kenny omega vs chris jericho

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of G1, I worry this year's tournament might only be absolutely magnificent rather than the greatest wrestling tournament in human history like last year's was :ohdear:

Last year most people also thought the 2016 G1 could not be topped, and then the 2017 G1 blew us away. Actually, that thought probably applies to all G1s since Naito's 2013 victory.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The addition of Jay White will make this G1 put last year's to shame. The horrible, pitiful shame it deserves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

The addition of Jay White will make this G1 put last year's to shame. The horrible, pitiful shame it deserves.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Rowdy Ringsports > New Japan 2018 : All We Need Is Knife Pervert

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm trying to find the Negro Casas vs Sam Adonis match from this year's Fantasticamania on NJPWorld. I'm having trouble finding out what date it took place, even with Google and going back and browsing through this thread when the event took place. Is anyone able to help me locate this match?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That match was in arena mexico, negro casas got injured so he wasn't on fantasticamania

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TTBF posted:

I'm trying to find the Negro Casas vs Sam Adonis match from this year's Fantasticamania on NJPWorld. I'm having trouble finding out what date it took place, even with Google and going back and browsing through this thread when the event took place. Is anyone able to help me locate this match?

That match was from the January 1st Arena Mexico show, not Fantasticamania. It's on youtube.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That explains why I couldn't find it! I had asked for some Fantasticamania recommendations and the person must have forgotten where it took place or I must have misunderstood the answer. Thank you for the answers.

e: Thank you for the link Jerusalem. I'm subscribed to CMLL but they have so many shows that I miss at least half.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 1, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was linked in the Best and Worst Wrestling Matches thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcnzEeCEZc0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s the first of the month so I turned NJPW World back on, time to catch up on the Sapporo shows.

And re: G1 I’m definitely going to try to go to a Budokan show, and I’m guessing the roster will look similar except Knife Pervert, Jeff Cobb and BC Jobber in place of Nagata, Kojima and Elgin.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

It’s the first of the month so I turned NJPW World back on, time to catch up on the Sapporo shows.

And re: G1 I’m definitely going to try to go to a Budokan show, and I’m guessing the roster will look similar except Knife Pervert, Jeff Cobb and BC Jobber in place of Nagata, Kojima and Elgin.

I think they'll put Trent in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I watched the Bucks vs. Roppongi 3K and Jay WHite vs. Kenny Omega last night after taking a few days off wrestling.

Bucks vs. Roppongi 3K was great. I've seen Matt Jackson do a similar thing before in a Chikara tag team tournament. They start off the day as heels and then turn into faces by the end of it by playing up Matt's injuries. He's really good at selling injuries. By the end of that match I was cheering for the Bucks because they turned into the under dogs despite being the champions.

Jay White vs. Kenny I thought was awesome as well. Sort of slow to start since White just worked over Kenny at the beginning, but White sold the hell out of those V-Triggers. And he looked so desperate hitting the suplexes at the end. I want the knife pervert to succeed because I like Jay White for some reason.

Anyway, I legit almost cried when Kenny and Kota hugged.