Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alr
May 14, 2009
Controls question: I'm near the end of 7B, and the bird is back with a hint telling me to "Dash+Jump" with left stick held up. I've used the dash jump before just for mobility. But when I do the combo the bird asks for, Madeline just does a normal upwards diagonal dash, as if I were holding up+right or left, depending on which way she's facing. I've had no issues with the controls before this point, is there something obvious I'm missing? Happens with either stick or dpad (playing on Switch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

alr posted:

Controls question: I'm near the end of 7B, and the bird is back with a hint telling me to "Dash+Jump" with left stick held up. I've used the dash jump before just for mobility. But when I do the combo the bird asks for, Madeline just does a normal upwards diagonal dash, as if I were holding up+right or left, depending on which way she's facing. I've had no issues with the controls before this point, is there something obvious I'm missing? Happens with either stick or dpad (playing on Switch).

That one is a bit confusing yeah

You want to dash upwards next to the wall and do a walljump mid-dash

alr
May 14, 2009

SeXReX posted:

That one is a bit confusing yeah

You want to dash upwards next to the wall and do a walljump mid-dash

Fuuuuuuuuck I was doing it in context of having Madeline on the ground to begin the move with since I figured it was a high jump, I didn't even think of it like a wall grind mechanic. Thanks!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

alr posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck I was doing it in context of having Madeline on the ground to begin the move with since I figured it was a high jump, I didn't even think of it like a wall grind mechanic. Thanks!

this tripped me up in the same way. i think it's cool that new tricks are introduced in serious technical rooms instead of giving you a safe, wide open area to practice like most games do, but the actual instructions were a bit too vague to be helpful in 7B

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think 8B has just about reached the limits of my skills and patience, but maybe I was just in a bad mood for it today.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

as one of the playtesters I am at least partially to blame for that confusing/vague tutorial crow, I had already known about that move when I got there is my defense.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

So I was replaying Chapter 1 on a whim, and got to your first meeting with Theo, who mentions his InstaPix account. So of course I looked it up and of course it's a thing that exists:

https://www.instagram.com/theounderstars/

(it's actually really sweet and cool)

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
That account has posts from April last year. Incredible.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

yeah I love that it fleshes out more backstory for Theo and establishes that the game took place, like, yesterday.

In the picture of him hitchhiking, the driver is Matt Thorson and the guy in back playing the switch is Noel Berry.

:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_10qcSp62Vs

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 1, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MachuPikacchu posted:

So I was replaying Chapter 1 on a whim, and got to your first meeting with Theo, who mentions his InstaPix account. So of course I looked it up and of course it's a thing that exists:

https://www.instagram.com/theounderstars/

(it's actually really sweet and cool)

I love this, it's so awesome. It's too bad there's no way to see this stuff ingame though. But the fact that the account is actively responding to people leaving comments is just too good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think 8B has just about reached the limits of my skills and patience, but maybe I was just in a bad mood for it today.

You can do it!! I finished it this morning and when I realized what was happening with the last series of obstacles in the final room it put such a big grin on my face

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I cannot believe I missed the heart in Golden Ridge the first time around. Child me would be horribly disappointed.

I've come around on that chapter, actually. I still don't like the wind mechanic, it constrains mobility in super unfun ways, but it's not unbearable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The ending of Chapter 6 is so loving good both gameplay wise and thematically

all good games have a double jump

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just finished this tonight and holy drat I loved this game. The second the beat kicked in after unleashing Badeline in chapter 2 I was hooked.

Endgame: I don't think I've ever felt like I completed a journey more than I did beating chapter 7. The metaphor of Madeline's personal growth and climbing the mountain, the meter countdown as you make your way up the final challenging, and the loving buck-wild awesome soundtrack all combined so perfectly and got me so god drat pumped.

I don't know if I'll ever try to 100% it but I'm definitely not done with this yet.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Venuz Patrol posted:

this tripped me up in the same way. i think it's cool that new tricks are introduced in serious technical rooms instead of giving you a safe, wide open area to practice like most games do, but the actual instructions were a bit too vague to be helpful in 7B

I accidentally executed the move it was trying to teach, passed to the next screen and then found myself on a harder screen with no more of an idea of what I was supposed to be doing. It took a few minutes.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Finished 5B last night and I spent the entire back half of 5A dreading how they were going to use the monsters and crystal in the B-side. But the B levels felt better designed and fairer than A. Part of that is being forced into learning the monster movement patterns upfront, but overall I think I had almost more difficulty with A.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

B-Sides done

am I... free??

NOPE

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Finished 5B last night and I spent the entire back half of 5A dreading how they were going to use the monsters and crystal in the B-side. But the B levels felt better designed and fairer than A. Part of that is being forced into learning the monster movement patterns upfront, but overall I think I had almost more difficulty with A.

I felt this way too but I was also compulsively trying to find possible collectibles in that section of 5A whereas in 5B I was able to just focus on progress.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Man 1B seems way harder than 2B to me. I think I should probably finish the normal version of levels before doing all of the B sides now.. I really enjoyed the unique movement schemes 2B required / taught, 1B is just busting me with a seemingly simple puzzle I just can’t seem to find the right timing of. Game is still amazing.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I was a huge dumbass and didn't figure out that you can wall jump while carrying the crystal, and at one point I had to concoct an overly elaborate scheme to stomp a monster in just the right spot and then time a jump into his rejuvenation explosion at just the right angle so that I'd be thrown upward and could toss the crystal over a high wall. I realized by accident in the next room that I could just wall jump with it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Inferior Third Season posted:

I was a huge dumbass and didn't figure out that you can wall jump while carrying the crystal, and at one point I had to concoct an overly elaborate scheme to stomp a monster in just the right spot and then time a jump into his rejuvenation explosion at just the right angle so that I'd be thrown upward and could toss the crystal over a high wall. I realized by accident in the next room that I could just wall jump with it.

Wait, that's not what you're supposed to do? What the hell!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I feel like there's probably been a few strawberries that I got the "wrong" way by trying until I made the unlikely jump/dash/etc.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The only wrong way to get a berry is not to

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FPzero posted:

I love this, it's so awesome. It's too bad there's no way to see this stuff ingame though. But the fact that the account is actively responding to people leaving comments is just too good.

I wish Madeline's stats journal had an album page for all the photos you've seen so far

kidcoelacanth posted:

Just finished this tonight and holy drat I loved this game. The second the beat kicked in after unleashing Badeline in chapter 2 I was hooked.

Endgame: I don't think I've ever felt like I completed a journey more than I did beating chapter 7. The metaphor of Madeline's personal growth and climbing the mountain, the meter countdown as you make your way up the final challenging, and the loving buck-wild awesome soundtrack all combined so perfectly and got me so god drat pumped.

I don't know if I'll ever try to 100% it but I'm definitely not done with this yet.

Agree with this spoiler x1000

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

Lol I didn't ever realize you can wall jump while carrying the crystal either, I did the same

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Same about walljumping. I felt very accomplished finishing that room only to learn in the next that I was an idiot. :doh:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

One of the testers didn't find out until he was watching me stream on launch day

E. He completed the b side like this

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 2, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hahaha yup, same here, but I did figure it out accidentally after probably 30 deaths in that room.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I just finished the summit, and wow. That was an amazing final level. I normally consider myself pretty good at platformers, but some of the strawberries there are brushing against my skill ceiling and I think my right hand is now a permanently twisted claw. 14 hours, 2306 deaths, and 156 strawberries.

Welp, tomorrow I'll do the full clear, and then I can start looking at B-sides! :haw:

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 2, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

This PICO-8 thing is uhh.. annoying. Probably just me being bad, but I dislike it.

Welp going to take a break, I really wish I didn't just embark on a 30min+ minigame, and yes I know it's still my fault for being bad, but mad at games time now.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 2, 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

onesixtwo posted:

This PICO-8 thing is uhh.. annoying. Probably just me being bad, but I dislike it.

Welp going to take a break, I really wish I didn't just embark on a 30min+ minigame, and yes I know it's still my fault for being bad, but mad at games time now.

30???

it's just barely over 2 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqB2olXNwt4

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SeXReX posted:

30???

it's just barely over 2 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqB2olXNwt4

I am really excited to see people running this game, and how badly a full TAS run breaks it apart.

The video showed me that I was actually stuck on the last room, the second dash through that gap was my approach also, and I am glad to see it was the right choice.

I finished it. Thank you. 11 berries, 35:50, and 204 deaths. Probably time for a real break now! e: thread title v relevant.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 2, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

All that's left for now is 8B. And I'll do that a bit later, I gotta savor what I just did with 7B.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FPzero posted:

All that's left for now is 8B. And I'll do that a bit later, I gotta savor what I just did with 7B.

All??? ALL???????

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Regy Rusty posted:

All??? ALL???????

"for now"

wink.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

onesixtwo posted:

I am really excited to see people running this game, and how badly a full TAS run breaks it apart.

The video showed me that I was actually stuck on the last room, the second dash through that gap was my approach also, and I am glad to see it was the right choice.

I finished it. Thank you. 11 berries, 35:50, and 204 deaths. Probably time for a real break now! e: thread title v relevant.

well it's not the whole game and it's not even highly optimized, but this exists already so it can whet your whistle for now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4oqJ_QEGJE

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

How do they jump so far in that video?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dash first then jump, if you time it right you'll get extra momentum but also keep your dash to use again in the air

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

goferchan posted:

Dash first then jump, if you time it right you'll get extra momentum but also keep your dash to use again in the air
Ohh okay. I'm still discovering new movement options in this game - clearly there are more places you can jump than I realized. (2-b spoilers I guess)I didn't know you could jump after going through the horizontal dash-blocks and keep your momentum. I beat the whole A-side without figuring that out and then 2-b just shoves a level in there where you gotta do it, and then has a bunch of related puzzles where the need for that escalates. I thought I had mastered the movement but clearly not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah keep going! Eventually the B-sides spell out another movement option or two that you may still not realize exists