Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

No amount of beamforming DSP wizardry can overcome a 4" woofer. I'm sure it'll sound pretty good especially compared to other Google/Amazon devices but IMO this really competes with a pair of Sonos Play:1s [now coincidentally on sale for $350/pair] which work perfectly with Spotify and support stereo out of the box

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

No amount of beamforming DSP wizardry can overcome a 4" woofer. I'm sure it'll sound pretty good especially compared to other Google/Amazon devices but IMO this really competes with a pair of Sonos Play:1s [now coincidentally on sale for $350/pair] which work perfectly with Spotify and support stereo out of the box

Read that as beanforming :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like how we used to think sound reflections were the worst thing ever, sullying the sound with slightly delayed signals arriving at your ears ruining things.

Now we're designing poo poo to bounce sound around wherever...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Just upgraded my listening station. Envy me, mortals

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd quite like to spend some time in one of those, we have a nice soundproof broadcast studio at work which is quiettttttttt but those chambers are supposedly so quiet you'd go nuts if left in one for a while.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's a good article about the one at Microsoft:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170526-inside-the-quietest-place-on-earth

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I'm pretty sure that's not how banana plugs work.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That's not an audiophile that's just a regular dingus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cheese-cube posted:

That's not an audiophile that's just a regular dingus.

There's a difference?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

iospace posted:

There's a difference?

One uses gold plated banana plugs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspect Your Gadgets > Ridicule audiophiles: That's just a regular dingus.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

evobatman posted:

I'm the receiver currently in protect mode

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evobatman posted:

Where is this from?

That's an NAD C326BEE, and he's inserted something between the preamp out and amp in (the RCA plugs with cables in usually have a jumper between them). I want to know what.

I mean, if it's a subwoofer, no big deal. But it looks like it might be something else.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Betting it's a graphic equalizer, unless it's a Real Audiophile, in which case that's the record loop for his vintage reel-to-reel deck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm getting a lot of targeted ads on Facebook for Qobuz or however it's spelled. It's a 'hi res' streaming service which has a whole host of audiophiles yabbering in the comment section.

One dude is a dj chatting a whole bunch of poo poo (why is it self-claimed djs are all massive loving bellends?!) and I simply said that no punter in the club can tell the difference between a 320 and a wav played out, nevermind a hi res version and nor do they give a gently caress.

"They do care! And you can tell the difference if it's played out on a Funktion 1 setup..."

If people cared about sound quality the vast majority of clubs would be empty because the systems are always poorly set up and limited massively to stop bellend djs destroying the soundsystem who will without doubt be smashing the input and outputs as hard as possible. And I can count on 3 fingers how many venues I've been to that have had any sort of sound treatment to cut down on reverb and other assorted poo poo that ruins music.

And I refuse to comment about Funktion 1, I've heard more bad F1 setups than good.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 19, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The community forums for Spotify are also bad with audiophile idiots clamoring for high-res audio, it's maddening.

Funktion-One is perfectly fine for what they are, they're not the be-all end-all of high fidelity, but properly setup they are great club music speakers. I've also heard some really good Turbosound setups (Funktion-One was started by the original founders of Turbosound).

As always, great hardware can be ruined by lovely setup, and mediocre hardware can do surprisingly well with good setup. An acquaintance of mine used to work in the biz, so he had a pretty rad F1 setup in his living room. A set of 10" woofer tops, a folded horn sub and some random power amp. I think that setup was the envy of the entire street, they could certainly all hear it ;)

By far the best live sound I've heard has universally been Meyer Sound. Holy crap that is seriously nice gear, and obviously priced accordingly. Just endlessly capable and such a pleasant signature sound. I would love to have my own big-rear end backyard Meyer setup for blasting 120dB brutal slamming death metal for the neighbors at 2 in the morning.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd love Opus encoded tracks though. For the peace of mind.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I had not heard of Funktion One so I looked it up and

that's just the universe weighing in :eyepop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd love Opus encoded tracks though. For the peace of mind.

Definitely. Not that there's anything wrong with Ogg Vorbis (which Spotify currently uses), but Opus completely supercedes it.

They could stay on their current bitrates and deliver better quality (especially for mobile users on slow connections), or provide the same quality at half to two-thirds the bitrate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

I had not heard of Funktion One so I looked it up and

that's just the universe weighing in :eyepop:

One of the owners Tony Andrews is a smart man but full on audiophile dork, he did a Red Bull Studios masterclass of some kind that I watched years ago and went a bit vinyl purist claiming it was the only medium for music.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/tony-andrews-keep-the-signal-chain

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So uh, the Apple HomePod.

No line-in, AirPlay only and a 1/10 repairability score from iFixit. They broke out the hacksaw to take it apart :black101:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Hell, most nightclubs are mono too. 99% of the people there aren’t going to care if you have Avalon or JBL speakers as long as it’s loud.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I think spotify streaming sounds fine on every device i've ever tried it on, including the built-in spotify on my Marantz main amp. Anyone clamoring for it to be better* is a gibbering idiot

* there are occasional songs/albums that seem to have something wrong with the encoding, but those are few and far between, and don't count for this

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I like how we used to think sound reflections were the worst thing ever, sullying the sound with slightly delayed signals arriving at your ears ruining things.

Now we're designing poo poo to bounce sound around wherever...

This is because :
1. Big money and real engineering firms like Samsung/Apple are finally hitting the audio industry
2. They realise 99.9999% don't hear music in a controlled acoustic environment
3. Know how to make full use of DSP to maximise performance in any given environment

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Palladium posted:

This is because :
1. Big money and real engineering firms like Samsung/Apple are finally hitting the audio industry
3. Know how to make full use of DSP to maximise performance in any given environment

you will pry my phase correct two channel audio in a well damped room from my cold, dead hands :colbert:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Palladium posted:

This is because :

Samsung cheated and bought Harman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Samsung cheated and bought Harman.

Apple cheated and bought Beats.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Sounds like Samsung won that round

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Apple cheated and bought Beats.

I’ll always wonder why they handicapped themselves that way.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I work in the part of town where all the hifi vendors have their showrooms, so I've taken my test CDs to them and listened to $20-40,000 setups to compare it to my craigslisted and flea marketed home system. They sound objectively better than what I have, but only by so much, and only in the sense that it's simply more of the same of what I have at home.

The only thing I've heard that has been a radically different experience has been Bang & Olufsens Beolab 90. They listen to their own surroundings and adjust the sound to negate the effect the walls in the room have on the music. The only way I can describe it is like listening to music through infinitely large headphones!

If that technology can be brought to smaller and cheaper speakers, and even to car audio systems, it will be a huge leap forward.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

evobatman posted:

If that technology can be brought to smaller and cheaper speakers, and even to car audio systems, it will be a huge leap forward.

The B&O speakers basically RTA themselves to the room so they play flat. Thing is though that right out of the box those speakers can hit the fundamental frequencies all the way up and down the range. Small speakers simply can't do that so we're now seeing a lot of kit playing harmonics which is faking it.

synthetik posted:

Hell, most nightclubs are mono too. 99% of the people there aren’t going to care if you have Avalon or JBL speakers as long as it’s loud.

I've literally only set up a club PA as stereo just to see. It's worth it if you plan on standing dead centre of the speaker stacks all evening but outside of that, pointless.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Proteus Jones posted:

Is making a billion dollars selling inferior products to idiots who demand them for fashion purposes handicapping one's self now? Because I'd love to be handicapped in that way.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

At the time, beats was making 50 cents off every dollar spent on Bluetooth headphones. They basically bought their way into dominating the headphone industry- the AirPods too account for some absurd proportion of truly wireless earbud sales as well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

synthetik posted:

Aren't all nightclubs mono? How the hell would stereo even work in a space like that? (Unless it was an extremely small nightclub with just two speakers I guess.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

At the time, beats was making 50 cents off every dollar spent on Bluetooth headphones. They basically bought their way into dominating the headphone industry- the AirPods too account for some absurd proportion of truly wireless earbud sales as well

shortspecialbus posted:

Is making a billion dollars selling inferior products to idiots who demand them for fashion purposes handicapping one's self now? Because I'd love to be handicapped in that way.
I was making a joke about how the Beats were (still are?) decentish low-end priced as mid-tier headphones at the time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Aren't all nightclubs mono? How the hell would stereo even work in a space like that? (Unless it was an extremely small nightclub with just two speakers I guess.)

It wouldn't unless you had the audience stand in a line from front to back equidistant between the speakers.

It's also why stuff like LCD Soundsystem's Despacio soundsystem made up of 7 stacks with manually time aligned tweeters is also nonsense because the only sweetspot for such a setup is RIGHT IN THE CENTRE OF THE ROOM and standing nearer one stack means you just get beaned in the head by 6 other stacks worth of sound arriving at different times making it worse than a standard 2 stack setup.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/despacio

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 20, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

LCD Soundsystem's Despacio

You know I still haven't actually heard that song even though it was like the biggest hit of 2017 (or was it 2016?)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Most of the newer club setups I've seen are hanging line arrays/horns and a shitload of subs on the floor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Most of the newer club setups I've seen are hanging line arrays/horns and a shitload of subs on the floor.

An acquaintance of mine built the subs into the stage and walls (lol gently caress you neighbors) when they built U-Street Music Hall.
No line arrays though. It's a low ceiling so just PA speakers hanging from the ceiling is sufficient. The bass in there is unruly though. Not 100% sure but I think that the subs in the walls are infinite baffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

qirex posted:

There's a lot of hate thrown around against line arrays. Yeah, if you set them up like poo poo, the sound will suck. But with competent setup, they work great.