Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

fougera posted:

Crap did I just convince myself to buy apple?
Heh, sounds like you did. Here's the funny thing about Apple stock- every few years they go up and up, then their share price corrects. Then every time it corrects, a bunch of uninformed dummies at the office water cooler get all smug and say, "See? Apple's going down. The magic has run out!" And every time they're wrong, and Apple sells a poo poo-ton of devices. I'm not saying Apple stock is a "Buy", but their outlook as a company is still pretty loving solid and their brand is extremely valuable.

quote:

As much as I was doom and gloom a few posts ago, I don't think a recession is around the corner unless there is some unforeseen credit event coming up.

Who knows. But there definitely will be. It's just cyclical. I still remember the years following the '07-'08 financial crisis and everyone was acting like the sky is falling and talking about how "We're just gonna have to get used to 'the new normal' of slow growth and that "the days of 15% growth are over!". Then we had a decade straight of growth. So LOL at that prospect. Every few years we go through growth, then people think the economy is "doomed", then we go back to growth. Then people think the economy is doomed. Then we repeat. So as long as you aren't investing in weird hype investments I wouldn't get caught up the "what if" recession scenarios. The market's heavy hitters are just set up to make a stupid amount of money, and even if there IS a correction they'll rebound.

I'll get off of my soapbox, now.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Like GDP growth has been slower the past ten years than previous cycles, I thought

The stock market isn't everything

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Josh Lyman posted:

My portfolio is down like 10% this week.

Cool.

Based on your posts in this thread, that sounds like an improvement.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know that there are many acquisitions apple can make where it makes sense for the brand really. Beats was fine, even McLaren seemed plausible when that was rumor, but they can't just borg cube any business and turn it into a aircraft carrier for the fire bombing of every population center in the world like an Amazon can do, at least not without losing a ton of value in their brand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They could buy AT&T, or I guess it'd be a merger given T's valuation, but purchasing/merging with a telecom could make sense?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why would Apple buy a government entity with a horrible brand?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Because they both start with "A" and they're fans of alliteration.

"Apple Aquires AT&T After Hours" is just too good to pass up.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I’m not up on Apples supply chain, but maybe they’ll acquire something a like semiconductor foundry? That also opens the door to government money because those foundries do a fuckton of government work. It all depends on what direction they want to go I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think if I wrote them a letter telling them I've been a lifelong Android user, but if they gave me $20000 I'd switch to Apple that they'd consider it?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

With some really suave marketing and big enough audience to watch, sure.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I think Apple is extremely comfortable not owning or operating any of the manufacturing parts of their phone business.

Josh Lyman posted:

He mistakenly thought bond yields work the same way as stock prices when actually it’s the opposite, that’s all.
Yea this is true. A crowding of bonds would lower their interest rate everything else held steady. My bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DNK posted:

I think Apple is extremely comfortable not owning or operating any of the manufacturing parts of their phone business.

I don't know if we've mentioned it in here or not (be surprised if we didn't), but there was a company that was hired on to make the sapphire screens for an iPhone and the contract they had with Apple to even have the chance was disgustingly predatory. Why bother owning something when you can just feed off other companies willingness to bend over backwards to work with you?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know if we've mentioned it in here or not (be surprised if we didn't), but there was a company that was hired on to make the sapphire screens for an iPhone and the contract they had with Apple to even have the chance was disgustingly predatory. Why bother owning something when you can just feed off other companies willingness to bend over backwards to work with you?

Well that company had nothing without Apples willingness to finance them anyway, they were no angels.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reminds me of the story of walmart and the klaussen pickles, one gallon. At some point, working with the gorilla in the room can move from the biggest opportunity your company has ever had, to a potentially bankrupting deal because you had to bid down your margins so much to get the deal at all.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Leperflesh posted:

Reminds me of the story of walmart and the klaussen pickles, one gallon. At some point, working with the gorilla in the room can move from the biggest opportunity your company has ever had, to a potentially bankrupting deal because you had to bid down your margins so much to get the deal at all.

I was not familiar with this story but it made for interesting reading: https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know if we've mentioned it in here or not (be surprised if we didn't), but there was a company that was hired on to make the sapphire screens for an iPhone and the contract they had with Apple to even have the chance was disgustingly predatory.

GTAT! But their bigger problem was that they couldn’t execute on what they said they could, at all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Futures are red AF, bull run was great while it lasted.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Futures are red AF, bull run was great while it lasted.

Yay holding off investing for a year :cry: :cry: :cry:

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$GOON Update

We've given up a lot of gains on $AMD, $NVDA, $NTDOY, among others, as many others have. I think we should still hold on for a bounce back before selling out at this point. If the markets continue to trade down this week, I'm going to hold off on buying some of the recent recommendations, and maybe just day trade the $TVIX some.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

jvick posted:

$GOON Update

We've given up a lot of gains on $AMD, $NVDA, $NTDOY, among others, as many others have. I think we should still hold on for a bounce back before selling out at this point. If the markets continue to trade down this week, I'm going to hold off on buying some of the recent recommendations, and maybe just day trade the $TVIX some.

I pulled out of AMD after the first 2 percent drop. My reasoning is that it will fall if crypto falls. But who knows it might go up to 14??? Just not a risk I'm willing to take in the current climate. AMD should not be a 12 dollar stock though.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Oh my god I just started playing my put writing strategy with real money last week after doing it on paper for like three months

Well, I can hope tomorrow isn’t another bloodbath I guess!

e: I mean anyway the benchmark is also falling, so the question I should be asking is not “is my strategy magically not losing money when the entire market is” but rather “am I losing less than the benchmark”

I guess I’ll see how it shakes out but aaaaaa

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 5, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dow future down 300. There’s gonna be a dead cat bounce but I don’t know if we’ll lose too much to make it worth waiting for.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
If you haven’t figured it out already, sell Apple supply chain

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

greasyhands posted:

Nope that's all it is, but of course that won't directly track daily vix moves... and I just started the position in October. Ive been scaling into it for months. Ive got a cost basis right around 13 atm. I want to see vix at 30

Congratulations greasyhands. Do you have a target to get out/start scaling back or are you going to hold for vix 30?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Congratulations greasyhands. Do you have a target to get out/start scaling back or are you going to hold for vix 30?

I have an order in for half my position at 17 good for the day. Its a day to day position for me at this point. Im getting a little twitchy to get some money back into PEGI, BEP, PSEC and TERP now that they have sold off a fair amount so I may free up some capital soon and get into a less... stressful position

Edit: went ahead and exited half at 16.75

edit2: sold another half at 16.75, will reenter if it pulls backs below 15. We tradin boys. Also bought some PEGI at 19.71

edit: went ahead and closed out the rest of UVXY at 16.50, will look to get back in on the next hope bounce

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So that mid morning rally fizzled quick, but on the positive side weed is green at least

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Risky Bisquick posted:

weed is green

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$GOON

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Healthcare continues to get obliterated based on seemingly nothing but speculation the AMAZON! factor. This is even worse then the whole supermarket fiasco, because Amazon isn't even getting into the healthcare space en mass. They seem to only want to reduce healthcare costs for their employees by banding together purchasing power.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Healthcare continues to get obliterated based on seemingly nothing but speculation the AMAZON! factor. This is even worse then the whole supermarket fiasco, because Amazon isn't even getting into the healthcare space en mass. They seem to only want to reduce healthcare costs for their employees by banding together purchasing power.

Good, the health insurance companies deserve to die.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

AngryBooch posted:

Good, the health insurance companies deserve to die.

No, not just insurance companies. The entire healthcare sector.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cheesemaster200 posted:

They are dogfooding their healthcare business model before unleashing it to the masses. The market sees through this

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Janet Yellen givin Trump the old gently caress you as she leaves office.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 5, 2018

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

No, not just insurance companies. The entire healthcare sector.

Kaiser, Harvard Pilgrim, and other not-for-profit health companies have been out competing everyone for many years now, and now three megacorps have decided they're sick of being hosed over, and the vast majority of people under 35 do not believe in profit motives for any health procedures. The whole sector is a bad long term investment.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

AngryBooch posted:

Kaiser, Harvard Pilgrim, and other not-for-profit health companies have been out competing everyone for many years now, and now three megacorps have decided they're sick of being hosed over, and the vast majority of people under 35 do not believe in profit motives for any health procedures. The whole sector is a bad long term investment.

I am sure this would make a great clusterfuck of an argument in LF or somewhere similar, but I don't see how this justifies a sector representing 20% of the US economy taking a complete poo poo over rumors and speculation that AMAZON!!! might get involved in it.

Also again, the healthcare sector does not equate to all health insurance companies.

E: though the more that I look at it, this shitstorm is starting to lose any characteristics of sector performance, so maybe I am just reading the tea leaves too closely.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 5, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am sure this would make a great clusterfuck of an argument in LF or somewhere similar, but I don't see how this justifies a sector representing 20% of the US economy taking a complete poo poo over rumors and speculation that AMAZON!!! might get involved in it.

Also again, the healthcare sector does not equate to all health insurance companies.

Maybe they were loving overpriced to begin with, like everything else

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The VIX :newlol:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I trade profitably, but my timing is so unbelievably bad. I bought a bunch of UVXY at 11.22 the other day and it literally immediately tanked to 10. I held on to it and sold it at 16.75 and it *immediately* shot straight up to 22.50 what in the everloving gently caress that hurts. a 40-sh% trade could have been over 100% with a timing difference of less than an hour

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$GOON. Right after I sold, it's up above $12.00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

man stocks getting CRUSHED today