Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if the burgundy boys + austria can dunk on france from the start an iberian wedding castile + austria probably could. but this was when austria started off swole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I heard that that France starts swole and only gets swoler; we're still at miltech 7 and so I thought it would be nice to get the entire peninsula and maybe shake a few minors out of them for the hell of it

Truth be told, I'd rather ally them and dunk England together but alas, both of them rivaled me so that's that.

What's a good first idea? I vassalized Portugal to get them to start colonization for me, though I'm probably gonna have to feed them more of Morrocco first before they really get that going. Any other things I should be doing?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Normally I’d say not a military idea but if you are swimming in MIL and behind on everything else then I’d dump your points into Offensive or Quality or something.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What's a good first idea? I vassalized Portugal to get them to start colonization for me, though I'm probably gonna have to feed them more of Morrocco first before they really get that going. Any other things I should be doing?

As Spain? Exploration. You're in the perfect position for it. Move down the coast of Africa and grab the cape, then move into the spice islands for obscene amounts of money. Portugal will probably focus more on the Americas for you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Although after you eventually annex them you can end up with the incredible scenario of two colonial nations in the same colonial region, BOTH giving you an extra merchant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even with neighbour bonuses, I'm worried about catching up. I'm focusing admin, but is there anything I can do other than just wait and hope?

You don't really have to worry about catching up on admin or diplo tech, because being behind on them doesn't hurt you like being behind on mil tech does.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
My game keeps crashing whenever I scroll over to a certain part of the map (around Mexico or Central America). Any fixes?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
AHHHHH I got Pasai finally big enough to hang with Ming in a straight fight but ran out of time. Needed to get swoller quicker I think.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

I can pay.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I will never understand the HRE. Around 1600 as France I stopped giving a poo poo about AE and coalitions so I annexed HRE provinces and told the emperor (austria) to gently caress off when he demanded the unlawful territory... All of a sudden I am the emperor. Somehow Austria then managed to get thrown out of the HRE and the only other country getting votes was Baden, but I declared war on them after declaring Ewiger Landfriede and they left the HRE as well? Is this what I was supposed to do?

(Obviously I had a bunch of strong HRE vassals which id been feeding provinces for a while)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aix posted:

I will never understand the HRE. Around 1600 as France I stopped giving a poo poo about AE and coalitions so I annexed HRE provinces and told the emperor (austria) to gently caress off when he demanded the unlawful territory... All of a sudden I am the emperor. Somehow Austria then managed to get thrown out of the HRE and the only other country getting votes was Baden, but I declared war on them after declaring Ewiger Landfriede and they left the HRE as well? Is this what I was supposed to do?

(Obviously I had a bunch of strong HRE vassals which id been feeding provinces for a while)

If you have electors as vassals then they'll vote for you to be emperor.

Although I question the logic of declaring "I will never understand the HRE" and then asking a bunch of questions about it.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Gort posted:

Although I question the logic of declaring "I will never understand the HRE" and then asking a bunch of questions about it.
Yeah, I probably should skip any replies to this post to make sure that doesnt turn into a lie. Guess I underestimated my vassals loyalty :D

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
I started a new WC attempt as Ottomans and decided to try a new strategy with exploration as second idea. Just realized around 1630 that I could direct the colonial nations to attack neighbors and have been gobbling up Spanish/English colonies. Any chance this backfires on me from their respective overlords?

mobius42 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 2, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the overlord can try to Enforce Peace and if they refuse you'll get dragged in too

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
it turns out that france was lucky and the only way to find this out is looking at fort strength???

this war is not going to go well and England, the cowards, didn't try and dogpile them with me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

look up lucky nations on the wiki and then shake your fist in rage

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

it turns out that france was lucky and the only way to find this out is looking at fort strength???

this war is not going to go well and England, the cowards, didn't try and dogpile them with me

England is a strong naval power, but in my experience, they are pathetic with ground forces. I wouldn’t fight France without Austria or another great power with a large army.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm 3/5 of the way to Sunset Invasion. Netherlands and the Papal State are left and both are locked inside a web of alliances that either pit me against France or against Spain. Good news, I just fought both helped by Scandinavia (kinda useless, to be honest) and Ottomans (:getin: but also only in the African continent because they were fighting Yemen and Afghanistan when I pulled them in) to grab their capital cores and Portugal's. Papal State is probably the best target because Spain did not come out of this war well, I've already got a couple stacks in the Iberian peninsula and Mexico is pretty much backstopped to prevent their colonies from encroaching on my stated interior.

I can maybe pull at Netherlands by declaring on one of their allies, maybe even truce-break on France. Problem is most of their allies are in the HRE. I'll need to do some careful consideration here. And throw more stacks into play.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

mobius42 posted:

I started a new WC attempt as Ottomans and decided to try a new strategy with exploration as second idea. Just realized around 1630 that I could direct the colonial nations to attack neighbors and have been gobbling up Spanish/English colonies. Any chance this backfires on me from their respective overlords?

In 1630 as the Ottomans you can pretty much steamroll Spain or really anyone else if you've been doing your homework (i.e. conquering all the poo poo and building up your army and navy), so why would you even care? If you're going for WC and think it's achievable, you probably have much more land, forcelimits and gold than them.

Just spit in their face and steal their stuff, it's what the ottos do best :getin:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm 3/5 of the way to Sunset Invasion. Netherlands and the Papal State are left and both are locked inside a web of alliances that either pit me against France or against Spain. Good news, I just fought both helped by Scandinavia (kinda useless, to be honest) and Ottomans (:getin: but also only in the African continent because they were fighting Yemen and Afghanistan when I pulled them in) to grab their capital cores and Portugal's. Papal State is probably the best target because Spain did not come out of this war well, I've already got a couple stacks in the Iberian peninsula and Mexico is pretty much backstopped to prevent their colonies from encroaching on my stated interior.

I can maybe pull at Netherlands by declaring on one of their allies, maybe even truce-break on France. Problem is most of their allies are in the HRE. I'll need to do some careful consideration here. And throw more stacks into play.

weren't you doing inca because um

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress it's Aztec, isn't it? Never mind. Guess I'll continue doing this because I need a goal to get through to the end.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I know I just complained about this the other day, but a war ally put all his resources into fighting me and is now in a three war dogpile. He has 1k troops, his capital (and only province) occupied, and has no hope. He still won’t sign a white peace and is preventing me from annexing another nation (his ally that didn’t even answer the other call to arms lol).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Aix posted:

Not being in the HRE is a strong minus but it's not insurmountable if you have enough elector vassals.

And indeed other reasons for them to vote for you.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

really queer Christmas posted:

I know I just complained about this the other day, but a war ally put all his resources into fighting me and is now in a three war dogpile. He has 1k troops, his capital (and only province) occupied, and has no hope. He still won’t sign a white peace and is preventing me from annexing another nation (his ally that didn’t even answer the other call to arms lol).

I definitely think that even ignoring all other aspects that there should be a "war leader is no longer my ally" thing which makes the AI peace out. It's even dumber than usual when an ally bleeds to death for their former ally who abandoned them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

mobius42 posted:

I don't know how to WC despite 2100 hours put into this game. I started an Ottomans attempt at 1001 provinces and I don't think I am going to make it. I made sure I was never at peace longer than 3 years and always grabbed as many provinces as possible in each war. Just something I don't think I'll ever be capable of doing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
WC is just insanely tedious and requires WH40K levels of endless war looooong past the point where you are so dominant that the game is no longer fun. I think it is not really worth doing on its own unless you are an enormous achievement whore or want to abuse some amusing bug or other.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So it looks like the Mesoamericans need higher base development for true realism.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

spectralent posted:

Not being in the HRE is a strong minus but it's not insurmountable if you have enough elector vassals.

And indeed other reasons for them to vote for you.

What are those reasons? I don't know any way to get them to vote for me outside of vassalizing them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

White Coke posted:

What are those reasons? I don't know any way to get them to vote for me outside of vassalizing them.

Good relations with electors, high legitimacy, high prestige, high diplo rep, and direct diplomatic ties (alliance/marriage) are all big factors. However for outside powers to have a shot you usually need the usual suspects within the empire (Austria > Bohemia >> Brandenburg/Saxony > any other prince that has gotten unusually big and powerful) to have poo poo the bed and made themselves really unattractive to electors or better yet, completely ineligible (wrong religion/female monarch/vassal or junior partner).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

I don't know how to WC despite 2100 hours put into this game. I started an Ottomans attempt at 1001 provinces and I don't think I am going to make it. I made sure I was never at peace longer than 3 years and always grabbed as many provinces as possible in each war. Just something I don't think I'll ever be capable of doing.

Conquest speeds up massively later in the game as you pick up the admin efficiency techs. If you haven't ever played through to the end of the game before, you'll be surprised.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

Conquest speeds up massively later in the game as you pick up the admin efficiency techs. If you haven't ever played through to the end of the game before, you'll be surprised.

Yeah, I know admin efficiency and Imperialism/Nationalism CBs let you grab more land, I don't think it's enough to get me 400 provinces in 100 years though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Node posted:

Yeah, I know admin efficiency and Imperialism/Nationalism CBs let you grab more land, I don't think it's enough to get me 400 provinces in 100 years though.

It is

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Challenge accepted.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Depends on the provinces. My Inca game closed out on me claiming the entirety of Central America and North America for myself in about 25 years. That's about 400 provinces.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Wc isn't particularly difficult if you are doing op things like coptic ottoman. It's just an exercise in like 20-30 hours of clicking through tedious wars you cant possibly lose

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Node posted:

Get Diplomatic ideas if you can for reduced province war score costs. Also I really doubt AE means anything to you if you have a plausible shot at a WC so truce break if it's coming down to the wire.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
quote is not edit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Firebatgyro posted:

Wc isn't particularly difficult if you are doing op things like coptic ottoman. It's just an exercise in like 20-30 hours of clicking through tedious wars you cant possibly lose

Seriously, my biggest takeaway from finishing a WC was that I was never going to attempt it ever again.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Node posted:

Challenge accepted.

You are going to be amazed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If I ever do a single world conquest (I won't) it'll be a three mountains wc. Then never again. But that probably won't happen in any event so who cares.

I've conquered Europe several times and each time it's already boring before you're half-way done. Doing something similar on a global scale sounds beyond tedious.