Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Room scale VR gaming feels comparable to staying generically active (walking around town, playing a yard game) rather than proper exercise. I wouldn't expect weight loss but it is way more active than console waggle controller gaming.

Like typically in the winter I feel pretty sedentary and sluggish but I think Gorn this year has helped reduce that. I have worked up a good sweat on particularly lengthy/spastic Gorn sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I tried Gorn at my friends place as one my first VR games and I didn't really like it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nickhimself posted:

Wait what? It's a workout kind of game? That completely changes it for me if true

Yeah kinda. If you really go at it, its a workout.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of which, how much of a workout can you get while playing VR? I know it probably never comes close to a HIIT workout, but does it get the heart going enough to make something like an Apple Watch log what you’re doing as exercise?

Soundboxing nights after 2-5 hours (depends how I feel), I will be covered head to toe in sweat and my body will be sore the next day. It can be a workout. seriously.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anton is doing a huge rework of all the guns he's implemented so far, including audio behavior, and goddamn the new M4 sounds fuckin' fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPFNqWQdiY&t=402s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EbolaIvory posted:

Its worth its price, But I personally do not understand how people have 100s of hours into it. Ive "unlocked" everything. I play a round once in a while. But ultimately I'm over it.

So, Yeah its good but IMO, The replay is just doing the same thing over again and this time "stab out hearts!". Its alright for some short term replay value but yeah.

Again. Worth the price, I had fun with it. I just rarely pick it up these days and its not "because its hard work" or something. Im' that rear end in a top hat who does the whole prolocomotion bullshit and plays a lot of soundboxing and stuff. Its just, I got bored after a handful of hours.

Its a sick rear end fun game to demo to people tho. So its 100% worth it for that alone.

WITH all that said. They keep adding content for free, its updated regularly, its well made. Its a good game. I just, idk, Feel like it dont live up to the hype this thread can give it sometimes is all.

EDIT: The second video on the steam thing, is totally accurate 100%

Mirrors my thoughts exactly.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looks like Rec Room is adding a new quest in the upcoming patch:

And they keep adding stuff for custom rooms.
You can fly now:

..and they've upgraded the Maker Pen with the ability to scale objects:

Garry's mod VR creeping steadily closer to (virtual) reality... People have already made some quite cool things: https://imgur.com/a/9lZ6a

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Rec Room is like a kid safe Garry's Mod, which is too bad, because I want an adult Rec Room next.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SEKCobra posted:

Rec Room is like a kid safe Garry's Mod, which is too bad, because I want an adult Rec Room next.

Isn't that VRChat?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Edison was a dick posted:

Isn't that VRChat?

VRChat is just an even worse (however that is possible) Second Life clone with VR shoehorned in badly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Really good site that should probably be in the OP: http://vrlfg.net/

SEKCobra posted:

Rec Room really stands out from other VR title in the polish and entertainment of the games they've designed. It's an even better game if you can form a group of adult acquaintances in game to regularly quest or play the games with. I do agree there needs to be some sort of way to filter out the screechers. I'd pay for a "Rec Room Premium" at a $40 one time cost or a $5/mo sub and that cost barrier to entry should keep it primarily to adults. They've already proven they have made a great game and I want to support additional content generation. That said we've seen people get super up in arms about cost segregation in video games in the past decade.

Edison was a dick posted:

Isn't that VRChat?

No VRChat is complete trash and doesn't have even close to the amount of polished quests and games. The most fun I had in VRChat was learning how to convert blender models into unity and rig them.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I enjoyed Gorn but I did end up fairly bored pretty quickly. Otoh it's a hit as a VR demo and I've had friends stay in VR playing it til they were very sweaty so I've still gotten my monies worth. Just didn't click for me personally.

My go to VR demo game is Accounting,which is free on steam. It's short, has pretty basic mechanics, and most my friends are into that Rick & Morty style humor already.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You will never know the joy/pants making GBS threads terror of watching an offensive lineman get a little too into playing GORN. I nearly died.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
GORN is basically a shallow but incredibly effective power fantasy simulator. It makes you feel strong and tough. Power fantasy isnt everyones cup of tea but for those who enjoy it only superHot VR even comes close, amd superHot VR is diluted a bit by also being a puzzle game instead of pure power fantasy like GORN.

It is a surprise hit among all sorts of people that want to have power in real life but dont get it much. I have yet to meet a teenage girl that doesnt instantly fall in love with the game once they get into it.

Its also got interesting weapon physics that help you FEEL the impacts. Its a very visceral experience.

But thats basically all it offers. For some people, thats everything they want though!

Its not an exercise game, so much as its a game that can be a bit physically demanding for extended play sessions.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Switched.on posted:

Rick & Morty style humor

Speaking of, how is the Rick & Morty game? I didn't get into the show until after it came out, so didn't pay much attention at the time. Seems like it's pretty light on content for the price, but I'd love to be wrong on that.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of, how is the Rick & Morty game? I didn't get into the show until after it came out, so didn't pay much attention at the time. Seems like it's pretty light on content for the price, but I'd love to be wrong on that.

It's pretty fun if you like Rick & Morty, but yeah, the "plot" is really short. There are a bunch of small things to play round with, but noting with any real staying power. Also, the devs are very conservative on locomotion. There is only limited teleportation between three different areas of the workshop, and the other rooms have none at all. I ended up feeling really cramped with a 1.5 x 2.5 m play space.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rectus posted:

It's pretty fun if you like Rick & Morty, but yeah, the "plot" is really short. There are a bunch of small things to play round with, but noting with any real staying power. Also, the devs are very conservative on locomotion. There is only limited teleportation between three different areas of the workshop, and the other rooms have none at all. I ended up feeling really cramped with a 1.5 x 2.5 m play space.

it's like job sim in that each area of the garage is reconfigured to take advantage of your full playspace. if you have a bigger area each quadrant feels quite expansive. it's definitely a fun time, especially if you're a fan of the show and would enjoy looking for all the easter eggs and tapes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I get what you mean, except with private, persistent custom rooms you can do what you like I think?
Probably as close as we'll get to a fun sandbox like Garry's Mod in VR for a while anyway. I thought SteamVR Home was going to be it, but they don't seem to have done much with that :valve:

puberty worked me over posted:

I do agree there needs to be some sort of way to filter out the screechers. I'd pay for a "Rec Room Premium" at a $40 one time cost or a $5/mo sub and that cost barrier to entry should keep it primarily to adults. They've already proven they have made a great game and I want to support additional content generation. That said we've seen people get super up in arms about cost segregation in video games in the past decade.
I used to agree the kids were an impossible annoyance which stopped me playing Rec Room, but now it's actually really easy to get kids kicked if you find them on the adult servers. Can't remember what the option is but basically you can easily report them and they get kicked. Also, from the upcoming patch notes:
'3) We've increased the strength of age based matchmaking. This means whenever you enter a new Rec Center or activity we try to match you with a room / game that has the most players in your age range. Matchmaking does not apply when you join a custom room (since they are not instanced yet) or if you choose to 'go to' a friend or accept an invite.'

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Closest thing to Garry's Mod VR is probably still Modbox

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
One of my Vive's controllers has developed an occasional rattle (sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes it's not there at all) thanks to Gorn. I've read a bit about taking the controllers apart, but any ideas why the rattle would sometimes go away completely?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Walrus posted:

it's like job sim in that each area of the garage is reconfigured to take advantage of your full playspace. if you have a bigger area each quadrant feels quite expansive. it's definitely a fun time, especially if you're a fan of the show and would enjoy looking for all the easter eggs and tapes.

I enjoyed playing it as I feel like there aren't enough games out there that actively insult the player throughout.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cacator posted:

I enjoyed playing it as I feel like there aren't enough games out there that actively insult the player throughout.

My man have you tried Elite Dangerous?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bohemian Nights posted:

That's what I like about richie's plank experience- if you have a play area you can move around in a bit, having people try to walk off a plank on top of a skyscraper is really satisfying and more psychologically challenging than you might think

Also it has a mode where you fly around like a superhero while holding onto a rocket which I could barely get people to move on from to try other stuff
You can adjust the size of the plank to fit your play area.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Does anyone have a link to the recommended seller of corrective lens inserts for the Rift? My glasses have put some microscratches on my Rift lenses, and I'd like to avoid more if I can.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used widmovr and like what I got.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just dropped $2000 on VR...

https://www.costco.com/Bed-%2526-Room-Porter-Queen-Portrait-Wall-Bed-with-Desk-in-Walnut.product.100299752.html

Got rid of the footprint of my entire bed, and half my old desk. Now my 12'x12' bedroom is 90% open roomscale space.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zero VGS posted:

Just dropped $2000 on VR...

https://www.costco.com/Bed-%2526-Room-Porter-Queen-Portrait-Wall-Bed-with-Desk-in-Walnut.product.100299752.html

Got rid of the footprint of my entire bed, and half my old desk. Now my 12'x12' bedroom is 90% open roomscale space.

Well, now you got a great pickup line ready if you do like that one goon (i think?) that distracted his Tinder date with VR while he cleaned his filthy apartment. Just strap the googles onto her, make her play Gorn, when shes well into it you deploy the bed and when she falls on top of it and takes of the googles you go: "now why don't you beat MY meat :smug:"

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Does anyone have a link to the recommended seller of corrective lens inserts for the Rift? My glasses have put some microscratches on my Rift lenses, and I'd like to avoid more if I can.

Seconding widmovr which has made my Rift amazing again for my poor eyesight without having to wear my normal glasses. Added bonus that they shipped internationally which a lot of USA based ones didn't (which may not be an issue for you)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad WidmoVR is turning into a real business. I'm pretty sure it was just some guy's girlfriend that sewed him a cover for the rift foam that they started selling. I ordered one and it was much better than the lovely VRCover and ended up buying a second one. Maybe I'll buy a lens adapter from them as well.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad WidmoVR is turning into a real business. I'm pretty sure it was just some guy's girlfriend that sewed him a cover for the rift foam that they started selling. I ordered one and it was much better than the lovely VRCover and ended up buying a second one. Maybe I'll buy a lens adapter from them as well.

VRCovers interface replacement things are awesome tho. I fuckin hate the cloth cover, and all the super padded things dont stick right(I bought the 'Big package with everything'), but the pleather+replacement interface is awesome.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, everyone! Has anyone here tried the Healingshield watch face protectors as a possible lens cover? The reviews seem pretty positive, if inconsistent as to which size to use.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Finally tried out rec room and it's actually a lot of fun. Questing and paintball are some of the funnest VR things I've done after Robo Recall. Only downside is that you're playing with literal children most of the time.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Anyone know anything about VR exercise bikes?
I saw VirZOOM Arcade listed and am curious whether there's any real life in the idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This seems to be the general VR/AR thread at this point so there are some pretty cool glasses from Intel, kind of like the google ones but not lovely:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

Although the lack of camera is sold as a benefit, I think that would need to be addressed eventually to be able to align the overlays with the real world. E.g. in the scenario with the restaurants, now it could only show you maybe a list of nearby restaurants with reviews, as opposed being able to look around the street and have the data appear next to each specific place.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was reading that a few moments ago, it seems promising. I did get more of a pebble vibe though, it seems the user’s phone will be responsible for doing some of the lifting. Suits me just fine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of prescription lens adapters, does anyone know if any of them work with WMR? I can wear my glasses fine, but they don't cover the whole FOV so some stuff is out of focus, and I think it would be a bit more comfortable to have inserted lenses instead of trying to stuff bigger digital glasses over my normal glasses.

Also re: Gorn, it is a fun and good game but needs something more to keep me hooked. I got pretty bored of chopping up drunk gladiators pretty quick.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

This seems to be the general VR/AR thread at this point so there are some pretty cool glasses from Intel, kind of like the google ones but not lovely:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

Although the lack of camera is sold as a benefit, I think that would need to be addressed eventually to be able to align the overlays with the real world. E.g. in the scenario with the restaurants, now it could only show you maybe a list of nearby restaurants with reviews, as opposed being able to look around the street and have the data appear next to each specific place.

The bit where people with lovely vision can still see the notifications perfectly... like.. what??
soo.. when the tech gets better, couldn't you just project a well-positioned camera feed into broken eyes for totally clear vision?
Even let norms have eagle vision and zoom in and poo poo?

Anyways I would totally buy these Gen 1 just so I can have lasers shooting into my eyes at all times

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of which, how much of a workout can you get while playing VR? I know it probably never comes close to a HIIT workout, but does it get the heart going enough to make something like an Apple Watch log what you’re doing as exercise?

You can get a great workout while doing VR.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/aaron-stanton/best-games-for-vr-exercise-comparing-heart-rate-per-minute/1066866030056285

I know that 10 minutes in Holopoint (at higher difficulties) will get me completely out of breath. Soundboxing can also get you full cardio pretty easily.

I just ordered a weighted vest that I'm planning on wearing to increase the exercise value of VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Saw this in the Discord, Humble Bundle VR sale (which gives Steam keys), lots of popular titles: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/vr-sale/

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Stick100 posted:

You can get a great workout while doing VR.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/aaron-stanton/best-games-for-vr-exercise-comparing-heart-rate-per-minute/1066866030056285

I know that 10 minutes in Holopoint (at higher difficulties) will get me completely out of breath. Soundboxing can also get you full cardio pretty easily.

I just ordered a weighted vest that I'm planning on wearing to increase the exercise value of VR.

Just a caveat that the current gen of HMDs are not built to be especially breathable, and your face will become hot and sweaty. And if you've got the standard foam facial interface on the Rift, it'll soak that poo poo right up and become all oily and nasty. Which is why I bought one of these. Doesn't help with the lack of ventilation, but you can just clean it with an alcohol wipe when you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Just a caveat that the current gen of HMDs are not built to be especially breathable, and your face will become hot and sweaty. And if you've got the standard foam facial interface on the Rift, it'll soak that poo poo right up and become all oily and nasty. Which is why I bought one of these. Doesn't help with the lack of ventilation, but you can just clean it with an alcohol wipe when you're done.
The Vive gets similarly wet and gross if someone is using it for serious exercise.

It comes with a second foam faceplate, though I'm not sure how easy they are to swap out.