Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

insularis posted:

To avoid dragging you down into a rabbit hole of DNS, PTR records, and your router to get that fixed, just change the task to go to each other's direct IP address.

Oh. Great idea. Thanks. The field was labeled as "hostname" so I just put in the host name.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I swear one last question.

I have my UPS connected via USB to my Primary FreeNAS box. But I can't for the life of me get my Backup FreeNAS box to communicate to the Primary with Slave UPS settings.

Even if this is correct, how do I verify that the communication is happening?

Running upsc ups on the backup machine gets me
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You have your email address visible in that second screenshot

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Ziploc posted:

I swear one last question.

I have my UPS connected via USB to my Primary FreeNAS box. But I can't for the life of me get my Backup FreeNAS box to communicate to the Primary with Slave UPS settings.

Even if this is correct, how do I verify that the communication is happening?

Running upsc ups on the backup machine gets me
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

If you think it's all correct (and I haven't used a config like that, so I'm not positive), you could just unplug the UPS and let the battery drain on it. If the slave config is correct, I'd expect that the slave box would get a shutdown as soon as you pull the plug.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Well I'll be. I set it to wait 10 seconds. And just when I thought it wasn't going to. Poof. It was off.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Host names don't resolve.....

But you should really really go deep down into the DNS, PTR and everything else rabbit hole. It makes everything so much easier when you can refer to the things on your network by name. And when we move to IPv6 (you should be internally) a working DNS is pretty much mandatory, as no average human being is gonna be able to memorize those IPs .

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

But you should really really go deep down into the DNS, PTR and everything else rabbit hole. It makes everything so much easier when you can refer to the things on your network by name. And when we move to IPv6 (you should be internally) a working DNS is pretty much mandatory, as no average human being is gonna be able to memorize those IPs .

He's right. There's a saying in the sysadmin sphere. "It's always DNS". Yeah, it very often is.

On the other hand, once you get it truly right, you rarely if ever need to think about, but your stuff just works.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Romulux posted:

Yo when are these fuckin WD Easy Stores gonna go back on sale? Or does anyone have an extra they'd sell me?

I need at least 4TB right now but I can wait a bit if it means I can get an 8TB for a decent price. I saw that they just went on sale at Best Buy on the 8th of this month but they're back to regular price now.. Anyone know how often they drop them back down? The last drop was last month but that was for the holidays, so I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Looks like they're down to 160 again. Last time it was the same price was about three weeks ago:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11206843-wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black-160-bestbuy

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Rexxed posted:

Looks like they're down to 160 again. Last time it was the same price was about three weeks ago:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11206843-wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black-160-bestbuy

Yesss dude, thank you for the head's up, you're the man!! Picking two up tomorrow.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
What's the best (re: price:quality ratio) SATA SSD option for a Windows 10 boot drive? It's only gonna be for the OS, I have another SSD for programs and games. I know bigger SSDs are better, but can I get away with 250gb?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Romulux posted:

What's the best (re: price:quality ratio) SATA SSD option for a Windows 10 boot drive? It's only gonna be for the OS, I have another SSD for programs and games. I know bigger SSDs are better, but can I get away with 250gb?

Sure, I've done it with 120GB in the past.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I run a bunch of Windows VMs that have 30-40 GB drives.

Even Windows 10 with heavy apps like SPSS and Lightroom installed will take up less than 30 GB. You just have to be diligent with running disk cleanup every once in a while. It also helps to give the machine lots of RAM so you can limit the size of the swap file, as well as to disable hibernation.

As for the best, cheapest options, Intel 313 and 320 SSDs come in a variety of sizes cheaply up to 60 GB or so. You can routinely find them on EBay, used or refurbished for $30 or so. There’s also 128 GB SSDs by Silicon Power on Amazon for $45 or so.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 28, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Romulux posted:

At 250gb MX500 or WD Blue 3D (also known as Sandisk Ultra 3D) are the same price but the former is significantly faster in QD1 reads.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

I run a bunch of Windows VMs that have 30-40 GB drives.

Even Windows 10 with heavy apps like SPSS and Lightroom installed will take up less than 30 GB. You just have to be diligent with running disk cleanup every once in a while. It also helps to give the machine lots of RAM so you can limit the size of the swap file, as well as to disable hibernation.

As for the best, cheapest options, Intel 313 and 320 SSDs come in a variety of sizes cheaply up to 60 GB or so. You can routinely find them on EBay, used or refurbished for $30 or so. There’s also 128 GB SSDs by Silicon Power on Amazon for $45 or so.

This is kind of interesting to me. Are you using VMs like Jails?

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Thanks for the advice, you guys are great.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

At 250gb MX500 or WD Blue 3D (also known as Sandisk Ultra 3D) are the same price but the former is significantly faster in QD1 reads.

I picked up the 250GB MX500 from B&H Photo Video for $69.99 :cool: with free shipping and no tax. They have a $10 off $50 promo when you checkout with Chrome on an Android mobile device and use Google Pay.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1378548-REG/crucial_ct250mx500ssd1_mx500_250gb_2_5_ssd.html

https://slickdeals.net/f/11138399-b...-req?src=sticky

Romulux fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 29, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

redeyes posted:

This is kind of interesting to me. Are you using VMs like Jails?

Sort of. I virtualize FreeNAS, pfSense, and a Windows 10 VM that runs my camera surveillance system (via Blue Iris). I used to use an i7-3770 with 24gb of RAM for this, and that worked pretty fine.

Then I got a good price on a much better system ($350 for a complete E5-2650 v2 system with 48 GB of ECC DDR3). The extra RAM and processing power let me get rid of a physical workstation with a 3770k and replace it with a low-power j3355 system that serves as a thin client.

So now in addition to the 3 VMs I mentioned above, I virtualize another Windows 10 instance as a workstation that my partner uses for word processing, SPSS, MPlus, and similar tasks. I use that instance for Lightroom. All of it runs through the j3355 thin client (which started life as a stand-alone pfSense device, but stopped being used when I started virtualizing pfSense).

ESXi is also a bit of a jerk if you don’t have vCenter installed, and from work I know how much of a pain it can be to install the Linux VCSA, so I recently spun up a Windows Server VM to install the Windows version of vCenter so I could change some disks from thick to thin provisioning.

So in a sense, yeah, I’m virtualizing multiple Windows installations to serve as jails. The surveillance system needs 24/7 uptime. The workstation VM needs to be more flexible and be able to reboot freely. And the Windows Server install with vCenter is ideally just powered down until a guest needs to be migrated.

For the $350 I spent on the new virt server and $100 I spent on the thin client, I was able to part out 2 complete Ivy systems and got ~$600 for all those parts, so I’m happy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Actual SCSI or SAS? What sort of capacities are these disks?

I'm 99% sure you should launch them into the trash.

Good question actually, I'll have to see if some of them are SAS. Pretty sure I have a mix of both.

At the very least, free magnets! :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Sort of. I virtualize FreeNAS, pfSense, and a Windows 10 VM that runs my camera surveillance system (via Blue Iris). I used to use an i7-3770 with 24gb of RAM for this, and that worked pretty fine.

Then I got a good price on a much better system ($350 for a complete E5-2650 v2 system with 48 GB of ECC DDR3). The extra RAM and processing power let me get rid of a physical workstation with a 3770k and replace it with a low-power j3355 system that serves as a thin client.

So now in addition to the 3 VMs I mentioned above, I virtualize another Windows 10 instance as a workstation that my partner uses for word processing, SPSS, MPlus, and similar tasks. I use that instance for Lightroom. All of it runs through the j3355 thin client (which started life as a stand-alone pfSense device, but stopped being used when I started virtualizing pfSense).

ESXi is also a bit of a jerk if you don’t have vCenter installed, and from work I know how much of a pain it can be to install the Linux VCSA, so I recently spun up a Windows Server VM to install the Windows version of vCenter so I could change some disks from thick to thin provisioning.

So in a sense, yeah, I’m virtualizing multiple Windows installations to serve as jails. The surveillance system needs 24/7 uptime. The workstation VM needs to be more flexible and be able to reboot freely. And the Windows Server install with vCenter is ideally just powered down until a guest needs to be migrated.

For the $350 I spent on the new virt server and $100 I spent on the thin client, I was able to part out 2 complete Ivy systems and got ~$600 for all those parts, so I’m happy.
OK so you are not using Hyper V right? I had that wrong. ESXi with Windows vCenter. I can't remember but is it free?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There is a free version of ESXi, but I don't think it supports vCenter. You would just manage the host directly with the web client.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
i am currently running OpenVPN through my Asus RT-N66U acting as the server on Windows 10 home. I can connect to the VPN (sometimes, depending on what wifi I'm connected to).

I can access my LAN IP address for the router itself, but cannot access any of my other wired devices on my LAN like a PBX phone server.

I would like to be able to access a NAS box on my LAN but since I can't access anything but the router, I'm stuck.

What might be going on?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is a free version of ESXi, but I don't think it supports vCenter. You would just manage the host directly with the web client.

You need a commercial license for both ESXi and vCenter to work. You could buy essentials or join VMUG advantage if you want a more featured version and some extra perks. Alternatively you can run the home setup with trial licenses and wipe every time it expires(most vmware home labs run that way). If you can try to avoid a Windows vCenter and use the vcsa prepackaged vm, it’s a lot less hassle to manage.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 1, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

i am currently running OpenVPN through my Asus RT-N66U acting as the server on Windows 10 home. I can connect to the VPN (sometimes, depending on what wifi I'm connected to).

I can access my LAN IP address for the router itself, but cannot access any of my other wired devices on my LAN like a PBX phone server.

I would like to be able to access a NAS box on my LAN but since I can't access anything but the router, I'm stuck.

What might be going on?

No route from the subnet your VPN resides in to the rest of the network?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

G-Prime posted:

No route from the subnet your VPN resides in to the rest of the network?

Good question. When OpenVPN successfully makes a connection, I see that it gets an address in the 10.0.8.X area. How do I let the two subnets see each other?

I do have the "Push LAN to clients" option checked in the OpenVPN settings.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 2, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Probably a silly question, but I have a RAID1 setup with a Synology DS212j and they are formatted as ext4.

The Synology was probably bitchin' fast back when I bought it in 2010, but is way too slow these days. Can I just put these 2 drives into a faster machine and not lose the RAID? I'm not using the Hybrid-RAID or whatever Synology wanted to default to, so I'm hoping I can just swap these to a faster machine with unRAID or something on it and not have to rebuild anything :ohdear:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

kloa posted:

Probably a silly question, but I have a RAID1 setup with a Synology DS212j and they are formatted as ext4.

The Synology was probably bitchin' fast back when I bought it in 2010, but is way too slow these days. Can I just put these 2 drives into a faster machine and not lose the RAID? I'm not using the Hybrid-RAID or whatever Synology wanted to default to, so I'm hoping I can just swap these to a faster machine with unRAID or something on it and not have to rebuild anything :ohdear:

Here's a guide of how to pull the files off a Synology Nas drive in Ubuntu (or really any Linux since they mostly have the same applications except a few)

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=51393

Raid1 disks are just a full on mirrors with a bit of metadata

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a small home network and am interesting in adding a small NAS to it - my main goals are something that works both with Ethernet and USB 3.0, supports two hard disks in RAID 1.

My biggest concern honestly has been security stuff - I don’t want something that has a ton of cloud-crap associated with it. Onboard encryption would be nice too.

I don’t know if something like these even exists for consumers - every single device I see is pitching that “CLOUD CONNECTED REMOTELY ACCESS EVERYTHING” crap.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 3, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

I have a small home network and am interesting in adding a small NAS to it - my main goals are something that works both with Ethernet and USB 3.0, supports two hard disks in RAID 1.

My biggest concern honestly has been security stuff - I don’t want something that has a ton of cloud-crap associated with it. Onboard encryption would be nice too.

I don’t know if something like these even exists for consumers - every single device I see is pitching that “CLOUD CONNECTED REMOTELY ACCESS EVERYTHING” crap.

Whitebox a Freenas setup from here. Pick up some 8 TB easystore HDDs from best buy when they're on sale and laugh your way to the bank.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

You don't have to connect the NAS to the cloud. You don't even have to let the NAS out of your network at all. About security, though, sorry to burst your bubble: it doesn't exist. There ain't any. You have better odds of finding unicorns.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just got an Infiniband network running at home using two MHGH28-XTC cards - probably one of the more painful setups I've ever had to deal with (and one card having a broken firmware didn't help), but it's nice finally having a setup where my RAID array is the new bottleneck and I can move stuff around without destroying the LAN for everyone.

Haven't bothered trying SRP or anything but IPoIB works well enough that it's not a big deal. Might get a second cable and hook up port 2 and see what kind of speeds I can get ramdisk-to-ramdisk.

:feelsgood:

Edit: here's a run down on getting IBoIP going in case anyone else is a masochist:
When using cards this old, you need to run a super old driver version - for Windows 10 I had to dig up MLNX_VPI_WinOF-3_2_0_wlh_x64 and run the installer in compatibility mode with Windows 7. No other driver version worked, period.

For CentOS, you can just yum groupinstall -y "Infiniband Support". Unless you somehow have a physical IB switch in the mix you'll need the opensm package as well. Once that's all done reboot and chkconfig both rdma and opensm on - you should be able to see the card as a normal network interface and configure it as such. Once opensm comes up and everything polls in (~60 seconds) you'll get link up on both ends (and SUBNET UP messages in /var/log/opensm.log) and are more or less good to go as far as the hard stuff.

You can get some useful info such as Port GUID and what not by running ibstat if you install the infiniband-diags package.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm interested in having the videos on my NAS (DS 918+) accessible to me when I'm outside my home network. I believe the way to do that is to run a Plex Media Server on the NAS but I'm not sure how I can access it from outside my local network. Does that involve DNS somehow? Is this something I need to pay a monthly fee for?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm interested in having the videos on my NAS (DS 918+) accessible to me when I'm outside my home network. I believe the way to do that is to run a Plex Media Server on the NAS but I'm not sure how I can access it from outside my local network. Does that involve DNS somehow? Is this something I need to pay a monthly fee for?

If your gateway has UPNP enabled like most ISP-provided ones do, Plex will take care of port forwarding (which allows you to access it outside of your LAN).

If your gateway doesn’t have UPNP you’ll need to figure out how to log into your router/gateway and forward port 32400 so you can use Plex.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Plex also maintains a dns entry for your server behind the scenes so you don’t need to mess around with dynamic dns. Long as the plex server can punch a single tcp port or you manually forward one it it will just work.

And it’s in the free tier no plex pass required.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you have UPnP without blacklisting IP/host-based reflective ACLs, you also have a million ways into your network.
Most of which will eventually lead to either priviledge escalation, RCE, or more likely both which means anyone can script access to your network as soon as it ends up on Shodan (which it will), and then it's only a matter of time before some tool is available for scriptkiddies.

Friends don't let friends use UPnP.

EDIT: This is not the infosec question, didn't mean to derail. Disregard.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Xbox Live is a pain in the rear end without UPnP, but they also want way too many ports. I don't get it.

quote:

Ports required to use Xbox Live
These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Moey posted:

Xbox Live is a pain in the rear end without UPnP, but they also want way too many ports. I don't get it.

Isn't 500 and 4500 UDP IPSec VPN? What are they doing with those?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

If you're going to install Plex on your Synology make sure to download it from the Plex website to get the latest version rather than through the package center. I've got a ds918+ and with hardware acceleration enabled for transcoding Plex performs great, but I'm usually only running one stream at a time. The only performance problem I have is that it can't burn in blu-ray (PGS) subtitles.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I too run 918+ with Plex and view video or listen to music remotely (phone and work notebook). It works great. Use the .spk from Plex website, there's no delay on new versions as they get released.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, I'd love to disable UPnP outright, but I don't think it'd be possible with my setup (multiple PCs that play some of the same online games). I could probably do port triggering, but I'm not sure how helpful that'd be, especially given the ludicrous number of ports Overwatch wants per its documentation (I'm sure they don't use all of them at once, but I don't know what their criteria for what gets used when).

Though that said, maybe I should actually set up a MAC whitelist for what hosts can use UPnP on my new router...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Whitelisting is mostly a pain if you have a lot of guests or change out equipment frequently. You can IP restrict it, keep static DHCP leases for specific MAC addresses (or use some fancy SDN stuff to tag entities based upon some other grouping) and UPnP can work that way. Other options include VLANs for your Internet-connected devices you want to isolate from your LAN proper but that’s getting too much into computer janitor territory for my taste because I do this crap all day for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, I mean the only devices I have on my LAN are PCs (which stay up to date and would be whitelisted anyway), an Xbox 360, and a couple phones. If I had any IoT poo poo (or let friends use my wifi) I'd probably go whole hog with VLANs. At the moment, the phones are the only things I might want excluded, since I don't think I use UPnP for anything on them. Maybe I'll dick around with my router when I move to my new place, but that's more of a thing for the home networking thread.