Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't disagree, but if you're going to make a Matrix sequel, it had better have kung fu fighting.

Like, imagine someone saying that there's no plausible or logical reason for Harry Callahan to be on the street after the first movie, and Magnum Force is a lousy movie because he doesn't spend the whole film in a desk job.

Oh yeah we're 100% on the same page here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

The worst take I've ever heard on the Matrix sequels, and probably on all action movies ever, is that the Matrix sequels shouldn't have Neo doing kung fu because he transcended the need for that in the ending of The Matrix.

See, that could work. I tried to come up with a reworking of the sequels at one point, just as an exercise, and I thought something you'd have to do is get Neo out of the Matrix and into some parallel thing on his way to the source, like how a martial arts hero might climb a mountain or enter a deep state of meditation. Because, to keep the action scenes having stakes, you've either got to introduce villains that are powerful enough to throw down with him, making everyone else redundant, or just have him style all over everyone easily.

Payndz posted:

I just now rewatched that chase.

It's utterly numbing, because it doesn't build in intensity as it progresses - it's just full-on SMASH SMASH SMASH from start to finish, with really obnoxious shaky-cam that, unlike how Paul Greengrass used it in the Bourne films, doesn't lead the eye to what you're supposed to be looking at from shot to shot but instead fills the screen with tons of slate-grey clutter.

I also discovered from a related video that a surprising amount of it was either entirely CG or pretty much everything on screen bar a couple of vehicles was digital. Which means it was designed to be that lovely and confusing.

And McClane is in a truck which barrel-rolls four or five times as it crashes - then he gets out with barely a scratch, is hit by a car, steals someone else's SUV and carries on the chase, ending up deliberately crashing and rolling again without giving a poo poo. It's not the sequel to Unbreakable, for gently caress's sake.

Oh, it doesn't work as a narrative thing at all, but it does have some cool stunts.

Payndz posted:

I kind of liked the sheer balls of dismissing Neo's transcendence in Reloaded with the line "Huh, upgrades" before getting back to the kung-fu.

Don't forget that the effect of the upgrades is that he can't fight them with one hand.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Payndz posted:

I kind of liked the sheer balls of dismissing Neo's transcendence in Reloaded with the line "Huh, upgrades" before getting back to the kung-fu.

The Matrix: Reloaded has a looooooot of problems, but I’m always surprised that people miss the tonal shift that is indicated with the “upgrades” line. Like the first flick is a fairly serious, direct science fiction film. The sequels are live action anime. The “upgrades” line is one of the key moments this change is shown. In The Matrix, the Agents are all fairly generic, slim nondescript white guys.

In the sequels they’re built like brick shithouse bodybuilders

Because they literally got upgraded in size and stature.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Don't forget that the effect of the upgrades is that he can't fight them with one hand.

This is a progression in a sequence that ends with Neo "fighting" them with no hands.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

I’d for sure say one that you’ve already mentioned: Highlander. It’s got an insane amount of potential, if it was rebooted with an actual roadmap of sorts.

I remember there was talk of a Highlander reboot a few years ago with Dave Bautistia tipped to play the Kurgan.

quote:

Somewhere out there is a really great, atmospheric adaption of The Shadow waiting to be made.

Imagine this: The Shadow is delayed a couple of years; in 1996, it's directed by John Woo instead of Broken Arrow; in his civilian identity, Lamont Cranston is played by Christian Slater, but in his Shadow guise, he's played by John Travolta, because Woo loves that duality stuff; Shiwan Khan is played by Chow Yun-fat, and Dr Claymore is played by Nicolas Cage.

But more seriously, if The Shadow was remade as a movie today, I don't know who should direct, write or star in it.

I think The Spirit deserves a remake. It's been, what, more than 10 years now since the bad one?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Something I find interesting about Doc Savage and the Shadow is that they have a large cast of supporting characters who are all experts at something. I like the idea of The Shadow being an identity shared by multiple people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Something I find interesting about Doc Savage and the Shadow is that they have a large cast of supporting characters who are all experts at something. I like the idea of The Shadow being an identity shared by multiple people.

Zorro had this too! It got quietly dropped.

Fun fact: the first Zorro story doesn't reveal that Zorro and Diego are the same guy until the end! It's written as two different characters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isn't the most hilarious part of Doc Savage though that he has this team of experts but he's still as good or better than them in each of their fields? Like he needs a team because he can't be in two places at once but really he's super awesome at everything.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember there was talk of a Highlander reboot a few years ago with Dave Bautistia tipped to play the Kurgan.

Imagine this: The Shadow is delayed a couple of years; in 1996, it's directed by John Woo instead of Broken Arrow; in his civilian identity, Lamont Cranston is played by Christian Slater, but in his Shadow guise, he's played by John Travolta, because Woo loves that duality stuff; Shiwan Khan is played by Chow Yun-fat, and Dr Claymore is played by Nicolas Cage.

But more seriously, if The Shadow was remade as a movie today, I don't know who should direct, write or star in it.

I think The Spirit deserves a remake. It's been, what, more than 10 years now since the bad one?

It was clear they expected a lot from the Spirit. My comic book shop still has a bunch of art books from it that they've had sitting on their shelf for years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

The Shadow's story is much more complicated than it needs to be. The Shadow's real identity is Kent Allard, but he's an exact double for a New York socialite and playboy called Lamont Cranston, so he would masquerade as Cranston when Cranston was away from the city. The movie simplified it by just making him Lamont Cranston, but I've heard that the novelisation of the movie by James Luceno (who's a big fan of old pulp adventure fare) included a bit at the start where he thinks, "But my real name is actually Kent Allard!" which probably made it more confusing than was strictly necessary.

If you're familiar with the Wold Newton Family concept, Philip José Farmer had the idea that Kent Allard/Lamont Cranston/The Shadow was also another pulp hero called the Spider, a.k.a. millionaire playboy Richard Wentworth, and he suffered from multiple personalities as a side-effect of shell shock after the First World War.

Furthermore, Chris Roberson wrote a fun short story about 15 years ago in which the French film serial hero Judex encounters a rich American doctor and his neglected wife in Paris in 1916, where the wife has had an affair with Kent Allard (then flying with the French air force) and become pregnant, but intends to return to America with her husband and allow him to believe the child is his own, to ensure it has the best upbringing possible. The doctor's name is Thomas Wayne.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Zorro had this too! It got quietly dropped.

Fun fact: the first Zorro story doesn't reveal that Zorro and Diego are the same guy until the end! It's written as two different characters.

Johnston McCulley clearly didn't expect Zorro to catch on, because Don Diego kills his arch-nemesis Captain Ramon in single combat at the end of the first novel, then Ramon is back and no worse for wear in the second one (but he's killed at the end of that one and stays dead). :D

Zorro is, by some measures, the first American superhero. It's his hundredth anniversary next year and I have no idea if there will be anything done to recognise it in movies or books or comics.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The movie version of The Shadow takes a lot of influence from the radio serials, too. That was the first version that just made Lamont Cranston the character’s secret identity, to the best of my knowledge. It also does away with a lot of the moral ambiguity of the version in the original pulps.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Spider was a blatant ripoff of The Shadow with a couple unique gimmicks, IIRC, so it makes sense to say he was just literally The Shadow on a bender.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is an amusing aside in Tarzan Alive where Farmer first posits his theory and comments that he has no idea how Allard/Cranston/Wentworth ever found time to sleep.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Shadow's story is much more complicated than it needs to be. The Shadow's real identity is Kent Allard, but he's an exact double for a New York socialite and playboy called Lamont Cranston, so he would masquerade as Cranston when Cranston was away from the city. The movie simplified it by just making him Lamont Cranston, but I've heard that the novelisation of the movie by James Luceno (who's a big fan of old pulp adventure fare) included a bit at the start where he thinks, "But my real name is actually Kent Allard!" which probably made it more confusing than was strictly necessary.

If you're familiar with the Wold Newton Family concept, Philip José Farmer had the idea that Kent Allard/Lamont Cranston/The Shadow was also another pulp hero called the Spider, a.k.a. millionaire playboy Richard Wentworth, and he suffered from multiple personalities as a side-effect of shell shock after the First World War.

Furthermore, Chris Roberson wrote a fun short story about 15 years ago in which the French film serial hero Judex encounters a rich American doctor and his neglected wife in Paris in 1916, where the wife has had an affair with Kent Allard (then flying with the French air force) and become pregnant, but intends to return to America with her husband and allow him to believe the child is his own, to ensure it has the best upbringing possible. The doctor's name is Thomas Wayne.

I wonder how much of this influenced the development of Moon Knight. Sounds very similar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I wonder how much of this influenced the development of Moon Knight. Sounds very similar.

I don't know how likely it is, but it's not impossible. Moon Knight debuted in 1975 and Tarzan Alive was published in 1972, and Farmer was a decent-sized name in sci-fi in the 70s so it's certainly plausible that Doug Moench had read his book.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnston McCulley clearly didn't expect Zorro to catch on, because Don Diego kills his arch-nemesis Captain Ramon in single combat at the end of the first novel, then Ramon is back and no worse for wear in the second one (but he's killed at the end of that one and stays dead). :D

Zorro is, by some measures, the first American superhero. It's his hundredth anniversary next year and I have no idea if there will be anything done to recognise it in movies or books or comics.

There’s some wild poo poo going on with the Zorro rights, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

There’s some wild poo poo going on with the Zorro rights, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Honestly, I just assumed Disney had them. They seem like the sort of thing Disney would own.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I remember like, last year there was some future-set Zorro flick that was being bandied about. Seems like every five years or so some weird new script attempting a reinvention of the property pops up and immediately stalls out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You don't need to re-invent Zorro, all the necessary changes were done in Mask of Zorro, they made him a cool bandito elevated to nobility, then for whatever reason they lost heart in it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, I just assumed Disney had them. They seem like the sort of thing Disney would own.

They’re held by a private interest that does business with Sony, but a playwright who tried to write a Zorro play has them tied up in a lawsuit alleging intellectual property theft and all sorts of other nastiness.

poo poo is loving bonkers and I can tell you from personal experience (that I’m unable to talk about) that it gets even crazier.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

Moon Knight is very much a character of that era in a lot of ways despite him being more recent, you might actually dig those old pulp serials. The radio serials just own though and you can hear most of them on YouTube.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That reminds me of Commissioner Gordon in Batman. James "Wildcat" Gordon (even the shortlived nickname) began life as a detective in a pulp called The Whisperer wherein he's hunting down the titular vigilante. The conclusion though is that James Gordon IS The Whisperer and took his own case to keep it unsolvable.

What's the copyright/trademark/whatever issues about making a movie out of one of those stories? Like they're not Batman at all but characters/plots that clearly heavily inspired Batman. Like The Bat, dude wearing a slick business suit and cowl that covers his entire face too rolling around blasting gangsters and using gadgets (most notably a gun that shoots "knockout gas") to ensure he always leaves one alive to interrogate to figure out the next person in the food chain. You could make awesome action movies out of that stuff and you'd barely have to change anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

What's the copyright/trademark/whatever issues about making a movie out of one of those stories? Like they're not Batman at all but characters/plots that clearly heavily inspired Batman. Like The Bat, dude wearing a slick business suit and cowl that covers his entire face too rolling around blasting gangsters and using gadgets (most notably a gun that shoots "knockout gas") to ensure he always leaves one alive to interrogate to figure out the next person in the food chain. You could make awesome action movies out of that stuff and you'd barely have to change anything.

Frankly, Zorro is pretty much just the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know how likely it is, but it's not impossible. Moon Knight debuted in 1975 and Tarzan Alive was published in 1972, and Farmer was a decent-sized name in sci-fi in the 70s so it's certainly plausible that Doug Moench had read his book.

I meant just the base concept of The Shadow, but yeah, the extra stuff would also have come out before Moench created Moon Knight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think Moon Knight was expanded (from his role in Werewolf by Night) at a time when they were going for more, how do I put it, international James Bond sorts of characters. DC created Ra's al Ghul for the same reason.

Moon Knight fitting in as a pulp character is partially a consequence of that. He also fits in well with Golden Age heroes--a soldier being a lone survivor and getting powers from a hidden temple would make sense if he was part of Operation Torch in WWII.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Moon Knight is really good, I love his mercurial nature. Everybody who writes him plays with the nature of his reality. In fact a major bombshell just dropped for the character last month and it's...well let's just say it's very soap opera but it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's the issue?

I like how the end of the 2014 series reveals that his ultimate nemesis is the Marvel editorial board, who will just reset his character development in preparation for the next limited series.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the issue?

Moon Knight #190

It's a new guy running the series with a new arc and I'm not quite sold on it. But he's not afraid to swing big so I respect that.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I checked out Spectral (2016) last night. It was well paced, solid fun. Didn’t realize that I’ve really been looking for Delta Force Ghostbusters but here we are.

I also always get excited when Max Martini pops up in anything. I’m thinking next up is going to be Savage Dogs with Scott Adkins. Has anybody seen?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Combatace posted:

I checked out Spectral (2016) last night. It was well paced, solid fun. Didn’t realize that I’ve really been looking for Delta Force Ghostbusters but here we are.

I also always get excited when Max Martini pops up in anything. I’m thinking next up is going to be Savage Dogs with Scott Adkins. Has anybody seen?

Yep that's a good old fashioned action fest, bit rough around the edges but Adkins is good as usual

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The ending to Savage Dog is loving bonkers

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The ending to Savage Dog is loving bonkers

It really is, and it's not even hinted at in the rest of the movie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
ok, action movie thread. I'm starting my Bruce Willis weekend.

I have Die Hards 1-3, The Last Boy Scout and Last Man Standing.

I'm starting off with Last Man Standing because it has been at least 15 years since I've seen it last and I remember liking it. I mean, you can't really go too wrong with remaking Yojimbo after all.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Mercury Rising and 16 Blocks are pretty good, but more thriller-ish than action

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrBling posted:

ok, action movie thread. I'm starting my Bruce Willis weekend.

I have Die Hards 1-3, The Last Boy Scout and Last Man Standing.

I'm starting off with Last Man Standing because it has been at least 15 years since I've seen it last and I remember liking it. I mean, you can't really go too wrong with remaking Yojimbo after all.

You have the best ones. Die Hard is obviously one of the greatest action movies of all time, and probably one of the greatest American films, period. I've always been a huge fan of Last Boy Scout and Last Man Standing.

As the posted above me noted, 16 Blocks feels more like a Die Hard movie than Live Free or Die Hard did (I've never seen the fifth one). And the only movie I can think of adding is Sin City, which I loved when it came out, but I don't think it has aged well (or more likely, I've just outgrown it).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
is Live Free or Die Hard the one with Justin Long as some sort of hacker and there's a scene where Bruce kills a helicopter with a car?

If so, I vaguely remember watching like half of it at some point.

edit: also, Last Man Standing has Michael Imperioli playing a gangster. Quelle surprise.

It has been surprisingly bloodless so far, despite Bruce killing three guys with about 10 bullets to each man. The actual gunplay seems a bit flat too, as well the gun sounds. Maybe that just comes with that fake noir style they went with.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrBling posted:

is Live Free or Die Hard the one with Justin Long as some sort of hacker and there's a scene where Bruce kills a helicopter with a car?

If so, I vaguely remember watching like half of it at some point.

I owe it a rewatch. Timothy Olyphant and Maggie Q were the villains, and I like them so much now from their own shows, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead played McClane's daughter, and of course she's awesome.

Kevin Smith was in it too, but oh well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are only a couple of fights and shootouts but in this day and age I'd definitely say that Brawl in Cell Block 99 classifies, and is very, very good. It's basically a more serious, grittier Ricky-Oh, i.e. a prison exploitation flick with brawling instead of kung fu. Vince Vaughn looks legit scary as hell as a guy who's forced back into running drugs, though I'm not entirely sure he sells his dadbod as an in-shape fighter. Obviously things go bad and he's locked up and forced by the bad guys to kill some dude in another prison to save his kidnapped wife.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MrBling posted:

It has been surprisingly bloodless so far, despite Bruce killing three guys with about 10 bullets to each man. The actual gunplay seems a bit flat too, as well the gun sounds. Maybe that just comes with that fake noir style they went with.

That's interestingto me, because I feel the opposite. I've always liked the loudness of the guns and the way dudes fly fifty feet from the impact of a bullet.

Also, "it'll hurt if I do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
As much as I'm a huge fan of the entire Fast & Furious franchise, I'm weirdly down on the idea of a 9th film. I'm into the idea of the Hobbs & Shaw spinoff, for sure, but rewatching Fate of the Furious made me realize how integral Paul Walker ended up being to the team. He was kind of a humbling presence.

I think Justin Lin is back for 9 though, so I'm sure the first trailer for it will suck me back in.