Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Clicking that link, I thought the problem was going to be that he was mocking gay rights with that awful cover, but I guess it was supposed to be in favor of them and he's just that bad? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

coconono posted:

Millman is most famous for putting together a documentary about gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.
They are also friends with the crew from Chapo Trap House

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

it's carnies all the way down.

JR getting fired from Podcast One for saying he might someday leave for a better offer was also funny.

Seriously? I hadn't listened to his show for a few weeks because none of the guests had really stood out for me, is The Ross Report seriously done?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously? I hadn't listened to his show for a few weeks because none of the guests had really stood out for me, is The Ross Report seriously done?

They didn't renew his deal. Ross is shopping around for another platform iirc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I honestly can't remember the last Ross or Austin pod I listened to, it's been months.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I honestly can't remember the last Ross or Austin pod I listened to, it's been months.
Austin had Gallows and Anderson on twice in December if you are a fan of Talk'n Shop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Austin did a couple with Billy Gunn that weren't bad, and the latest is with Chris Jericho, which I haven't listened to yet

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Austin did a couple with Billy Gunn that weren't bad, and the latest is with Chris Jericho, which I haven't listened to yet

I listened to some of it. Jericho did pitch an interesting idea which was to send people out in front of the crowd to cut unscripted promos during Main Event tapings. That way you don't need to worry about them loving up live on air, can gauge whether they have 'it' or need work, and it gets them used to talking in front of the live crowd.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seconding the recommendation to listen to the Gallows/Anderson episodes, and even the two recent Billy Gunn ones were surprisingly fun (Austin's story about getting his rear end beat by Billy Gunn is hilarious). I also thought his shows with Sasha and Bayley were pretty good.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

James Ellsworth was on Talk is Jericho recently and it's a pretty great listen. Talks through his entire WWE run and release

Fun Fact: He LOVED going on Talking Smack with Daniel Bryan and had no idea about the AJ Styles Championship match when Bryan announced it

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 3, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I listened to some of it. Jericho did pitch an interesting idea which was to send people out in front of the crowd to cut unscripted promos during Main Event tapings. That way you don't need to worry about them loving up live on air, can gauge whether they have 'it' or need work, and it gets them used to talking in front of the live crowd.
hmm yeah if only WWE had some place for talent to develop their skills

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

St Evan Echoes posted:

hmm yeah if only WWE had some place for talent to develop their skills

I get what you mean, but there's a big difference between doing a promo in front of 8000 people in an arena and doing one in front of 400 people in a TV studio.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

On the other hand, I love your King Cuerno AV :)

What happened to King Cuerno? Way back when I remember WWE wanted to poach him because he was good, was tall, had a good body, and most importantly to them could speak fluent English. Then Lucha Underground poo poo went down and he just disappeared which is a deep shame.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's in AAA and they regularly lend him out to TNA. he challenged eddie edwards for the GHC championship

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/960023020164169728

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought Dave only watched Traci Lords tapes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

We're back with the formation of TNA's first creative team, also Jerry Jarrett being a huge liar and hypocrite. A FUN SHOW~!

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/13968302

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Karmine posted:

I get what you mean, but there's a big difference between doing a promo in front of 8000 people in an arena and doing one in front of 400 people in a TV studio.

I was amazed at the rumble, Maria Menounos when she first started the introductions got awkwardly distracted by some tiny, barely perceptible heckle. And she's a professional!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Karmine posted:

Do that many people show up in time for the Main Event tapings? Huh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Do that many people show up in time for the Main Event tapings? Huh.

They are lucky to get that many people for Raw.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Don't they tape main event before raw anyways?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am enjoying these podcasts immensely. I knew early TNA was bad but I wasn’t following wrestling so I never knew how bad other than PSP-TV jokes and the midget masturbating in a trash can.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm disappointed we're actually going to get to the part where we talk about shows.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm disappointed we're actually going to get to the part where we talk about shows.

MassRafTer's going to swerve us like the dedicated Russo scholar he is.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love when Bryan spends 10 minutes arguing why WWE shouldn’t have done a thing, Dave argues why they did it, and it inevitably ends with Bryan saying “I just think it was stupid” and Dave goes “Well of course it was stupid”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

I love when Bryan spends 10 minutes arguing why WWE shouldn’t have done a thing, Dave argues why they did it, and it inevitably ends with Bryan saying “I just think it was stupid” and Dave goes “Well of course it was stupid”

Haha I didn't expect it to be the first thing they talked about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did anybody else find it really weird and slightly off-putting hearing Dave (and then a brief discussion from a listener on WOL) talk about Bayley losing weight? To their credit, both Bryan and Sempervive seemed as confused as I was about the notion that Bayley had "needed" to lose weight.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Did anybody else find it really weird and slightly off-putting hearing Dave (and then a brief discussion from a listener on WOL) talk about Bayley losing weight? To their credit, both Bryan and Sempervive seemed as confused as I was about the notion that Bayley had "needed" to lose weight.

I just assume he either knows she was told to lose weight or knows that her physical appearance is a reason she’s being buried.

I didn’t take it as Dave fat shaming or anything. I just think he’s a weird dude.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I don’t know of any subtext there, but Dave mentions changes in appearance for wrestlers and fighters pretty regularly.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
"I'm like real observant when it comes to the women" is something he said once and it's sorta colored my perception of Dave ever since.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Today was another reminder that Dave really hates racism.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I love when people in this thread get all concerned that Dave Meltzer isn't woke enough for their freakin ears

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thank

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

f

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

glad you’re paying respects to uncle Dave

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

sleep with the vicious posted:

I love when people in this thread get all concerned that Dave Meltzer isn't woke enough for their freakin ears

if you didn't stop listening after the elgin thing why sweat anything else he says at all

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
btw oh look i was right that it was bad for dave to be tweeting about the real hero archive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Episode 15: CHEEX!

Years ago I tried to track down more information on Cheex and failed. Recently I looked a bit harder and came across a treasure trove. Join us for a biography of the man who broke the ring before the first TNA PPV, or at least as much of a biography as is possible. Learn about his career and personal tragedies and how Mike Staples overcame them. Next week we do the first TNA PPV for real.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/13991995

Tonight's Nitro bumpers will be full of his matches and other Cheex related videos.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 7, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/wrestlesplania/status/961275706100666369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I'm catching up on old episodes of the MRT and HulkaMatt Power Hour and I really like listening to the sad tale of Fusient having just read the retro observer about the "all but finalized" deal.

Early 2001 was a loving crazy time for wrestling.