Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No I mean her movie career blew up, but I worded it poorly so you can read causality into what I said implying that legion was the cause. Rather, I thought that she'd broken through into Hollywood mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think they’re as big of stars as you think they are.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah Pratt's really the only one who's career exploded, and poor Asiz could have broken into comic auteurism if he wasn't a creep with the ladies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah Pratt's really the only one who's career exploded, and poor Asiz could have broken into comic auteurism if he wasn't a creep with the ladies.

Aziz wrote a book and got a couple million for two seasons of a popular Netflix show, even with his career in the dumpster he’ll never have to work again.

He is simply not funny enough to get bigger than he already is, IMO.

Chris Pratt pulling the Blade 3 Ryan Reynolds “You’re funny but chicks can’t crank it to your dad bod so here’s 10 million worth of personal training and curated meals for a year and now you are a hot slab of beef” is the secret happy ending of Parks & Rec

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aziz did break into comic auteurism and the creep thing was, what, a month ago? Considering how many people were defending him (and compared to some of the more extreme cases highlighted by the #MeToo movement) he’ll probably be fine. By the standards of people who mostly do standup he was a superstar after Parks and Rec.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Chris Pratt pulling the Blade 3 Ryan Reynolds “You’re funny but chicks can’t crank it to your dad bod so here’s 10 million worth of personal training and curated meals for a year and now you are a hot slab of beef” is the secret happy ending of Parks & Rec

“I just stopped drinking beer.
“How much beer were you drinking?”
“...a lot.”

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah Pratt's really the only one who's career exploded
Poehler was already a widely-recognized actress, Rashida Jones now mostly directs and writes - she was attached to Toy Story 4 before leaving over differences with Pixar, Nick Offerman has built a recognizable brand out of Ron Swanson, Adam Scott at least gets more TV roles than he did prior to the show, Rob Lowe was already famous and continues to get work, Aubrey Plaza went from a bit player to a well-known actress, Aziz Ansari did fine but whoops. The only main characters who didn't get a big boost from this were Retta, who deserves to be a lot more famous, and Jim O'Heir, who at least got a movie role out of it.

Compare that to the two other popular, critically-acclaimed NBC sitcoms at the time, 30 Rock and Community, and the P&R cast did way better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Poehler was already a widely-recognized actress, Rashida Jones now mostly directs and writes - she was attached to Toy Story 4 before leaving over differences with Pixar, Nick Offerman has built a recognizable brand out of Ron Swanson, Adam Scott at least gets more TV roles than he did prior to the show, Rob Lowe was already famous and continues to get work, Aubrey Plaza went from a bit player to a well-known actress, Aziz Ansari did fine but whoops. The only main characters who didn't get a big boost from this were Retta, who deserves to be a lot more famous, and Jim O'Heir, who at least got a movie role out of it.

Compare that to the two other popular, critically-acclaimed NBC sitcoms at the time, 30 Rock and Community, and the P&R cast did way better.

Didn’t 30 Rock and Community have atrocious ratings? The better comparison is probably the Office, though I think the P&R cast do better than them too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn’t 30 Rock and Community have atrocious ratings? The better comparison is probably the Office, though I think the P&R cast do better than them too.

To be fair, Community absolutely made the careers of half its cast. Gillian Jacobs in particular, who'd spent about five years playing random bit parts in serious dramas before landing the show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

So did Parks and Rec. None of the shows had great ratings, and P&R's are why the show kept getting weird episode orders.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't say the other cast members didn't get a boost to their careers. Pratt literally went from unremarkable sticoms prior to P&R to leading movie roles, which is why he's so noteworthy compared to the rest of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They all had terrible ratings but made stupid oodles of money on DvD sales because millennials don't loving sit down and watch TV when you tell us too, MOM!

That's why P&R has a full blown finale and then also a whole additional victory lap season afterwards, they were like "You're cancelled" "ok, lets give our cast the fitting emotional ending it deserves" "Wait, we made 30 million off of DvDs and millions of moms are tuning in because of Pratt's 6-pack, we need another season." "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok?"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It helps that it was a really good show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Retta has a leading role in a new show with Joan and Her?, so that's something at least.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah, Retta is co-starring in a network dark comedy with a huge ad campaign. I think we're about to see her career gain momentum.

Open Source Idiom posted:

To be fair, Community absolutely made the careers of half its cast. Gillian Jacobs in particular, who'd spent about five years playing random bit parts in serious dramas before landing the show.

Donald Glover just won an Emmy. Before Community, people recognized him as the "Bro Rape" guy.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

MokBa posted:

Yeah, Retta is co-starring in a network dark comedy with a huge ad campaign. I think we're about to see her career gain momentum.

Donald Glover just won an Emmy. Before Community, people recognized him as the "Bro Rape" guy.

gently caress that! He was Kevin to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Glover is one the very hardest working people in Showbizness and is even now still concerned that he’ll never elude Bro-Rape.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t even know what the Bro-Rape thing is. Is that like how Ellie Kemper will always be Blowjob Girl?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

A video he made like 10+ years ago with his comedy troupe, this was during or after he started writing for 30 Rock and I think after his first season on Community, but at least close by.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Donald Glover is Lando. You can't loving top that.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Bust Rodd posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

A video he made like 10+ years ago with his comedy troupe, this was during or after he started writing for 30 Rock and I think after his first season on Community, but at least close by.

No idea about 30 Rock, but Bro Rape was at least 3 years before Community.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Dragonrah posted:

No idea about 30 Rock, but Bro Rape was at least 3 years before Community.

Yeah bro rape is ancient at this point. And Donald Glover was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Album this year and also created his own show Atlanta. Dude's career is going nowhere but up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh I agree, but growing up in a post-social media environment means that he could literally be walking on stage to accept an award when a gay rights group retweets Bro-rape #RapeGlove and then the very real chance of backlash from nothing.

Also during his infamous Live twitter meltdown from a hotel room he specifically mentions his fear of never growing past bro-rape

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pussy Quipped posted:

From Aubrey Plaza’s instagram:

There's a little bit of something in here for everyone.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

They all had terrible ratings but made stupid oodles of money on DvD sales because millennials don't loving sit down and watch TV when you tell us too, MOM!

That's why P&R has a full blown finale and then also a whole additional victory lap season afterwards, they were like "You're cancelled" "ok, lets give our cast the fitting emotional ending it deserves" "Wait, we made 30 million off of DvDs and millions of moms are tuning in because of Pratt's 6-pack, we need another season." "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok?"

Speaking of that era of comedies though slightly unrelated, if anyone here has never watched the Office, end after the big wedding episode.

Consider that the show finale and you'll be much happier. It felt like the perfect place for the show to end and everything after is assssss.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I vaguely remember The Office improving in its very last season, but I didn't care enough on my recent re-watch. I stopped after Scott left.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Speaking of that era of comedies though slightly unrelated, if anyone here has never watched the Office, end after the big wedding episode.

Consider that the show finale and you'll be much happier. It felt like the perfect place for the show to end and everything after is assssss.

Literally what I did. As far as I know the show ended there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the point I was making was that Plaza has been very famous for like 10 years +, LEGION had nothing to do with it, she’s just getting a different kind of coverage now that her fan base opened up to include nerds.

He's right. I've never had a nerd talk to me about parks and rec.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Flyinglemur posted:

Donald Glover is Lando. You can't loving top that.

The loving Lion King

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Season 2 kicks off on April 3rd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finished. This show is loving amazing. Being a TVIV regular, I fear I am about to reignite a debate that's been hashed out and resulted in multiple probations, so I will phrase it as best I can. Is there a consensus on the existence of Lenny as a physical person? Was the sight of her in the wall an illusion by the Shadow King, or was she a person that existed whose memories were re-purposed for the Shadow King, or can the Shadow King take corporeal form?

Again, I haven't read this thread, but if I had to guess I would say 31 out 35 pages are devoted to this. Also, I amend my previous statement that this is Wes Anderson's X-Men to this is if Wes Anderson and Darren Aronofsky teamed up to direct an X-Men show.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If I recall the general idea:

Benny was real and David's friend before the asylum when they were getting high and such.

Lenny was real and David's friend in the asylum. She actually died during Syd's freakout.

The Shadow King took advantage of David's confusion and mental state and melded the two people into one in his memories so he would be reliant on the advice and guidance of a "long time friend". Shadow Lenny acted as a bridge between the parts of his adult life to basically consolidate his influence and control over David.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Tortolia posted:

If I recall the general idea:

Benny was real and David's friend before the asylum when they were getting high and such.

Lenny was real and David's friend in the asylum. She actually died during Syd's freakout.

The Shadow King took advantage of David's confusion and mental state and melded the two people into one in his memories so he would be reliant on the advice and guidance of a "long time friend". Shadow Lenny acted as a bridge between the parts of his adult life to basically consolidate his influence and control over David.

This is correct.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Again, I haven't read this thread, but if I had to guess I would say 31 out 35 pages are devoted to this. Also, I amend my previous statement that this is Wes Anderson's X-Men to this is if Wes Anderson and Darren Aronofsky teamed up to direct an X-Men show.

I view it more as an homage to Stanly Kubrick and David Lynch at times. I would be shocked if the people behind the show aren't huge fans.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just hope the angriest boy doesn't come back, scariest thing I ever saw on tv

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I just hope the angriest boy doesn't come back, scariest thing I ever saw on tv

Farouk ganking the World's Angriest Boy in the World for his own ends really highlights the depths of how hosed up he is. Also, I like how we never find out if TWABITW was a real book or just Shadow King messing with David more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

algebra testes posted:

No I mean her movie career blew up, but I worded it poorly so you can read causality into what I said implying that legion was the cause. Rather, I thought that she'd broken through into Hollywood mainstream.

I thought you were saying she got fat :confused:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, didn't the Marvel folks pay for that? Like they had to explain it on P&R, but NBC wasn't footing that bill.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JawnV6 posted:

Uh, didn't the Marvel folks pay for that? Like they had to explain it on P&R, but NBC wasn't footing that bill.

Marvel paid for him to get buff and NBC used his new found physique and public recognition to push a new season, yes

Edit: This is why Johnny Karate got so much loving screen time towards the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

She was a main character on an extremely popular cable TV show that ran for 7 years and has been working steadily since it went off the air 5 years ago. She just successfully crossed over from the cutesy-twee crowd to the nerd crowd, so she will automatically be more online since Parks & Rec fans probably don’t have an online community outside of a sub-reddit whereas every nerd/comic book/gaming website talked about Legion.

My favourite thing she did was smoking weed with Ali Shawkat on Getting Doug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRD7ZddPZo