Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, that's true, but these are amd graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple should make their own discrete gpu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
could you imagine if they put the kind of effort into it that they do their arm designs?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

could you imagine if they put the kind of effort into it that they do their arm designs?

they spend more money on their gym than their mac os stuff so I doubt that could even happen

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

That would be neat, but imagine the Nvidia Experience analog the eddy cue org would churn out for it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i was typing a thing on my iphone and it kept trying to autocorrect "narrow" to something else. not a good user experience, tim.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Elder Postsman posted:

i was typing a thing on my iphone and it kept trying to autocorrect "narrow" to something else. not a good user experience, tim.

The input team was really surprised when I told them I didn't like typing on iPhone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

typing on iPhone.

how long did it take you to get on brand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

The input team was really surprised when I told them I didn't like typing on iPhone.

they got it pretty much perfect in ios 3/4 and they've been loving it up every release since.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as a non-gpu person i have to ask, is there a reason why designing a discrete gpu would be significantly more difficult than designing an integrated gpu?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

how long did it take you to get on brand

It's one less word to type so immediately. I have SwiftKey in my iPhone lol

But I still use android for personal use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

as a non-gpu person i have to ask, is there a reason why designing a discrete gpu would be significantly more difficult than designing an integrated gpu?

i would guess its a cost thing. an integrated gpu will add cost to the cpu and if you add too much gpu then its gonna make the cpu too expensive. also the people who want powerful gpus don't have a problem paying for the additional dGPU and enjoy the flexibility of adding/replacing the dGPU.

so the goal is to make the iGPU as powerful as needed for regular use so its good enough that regular users don't have to buy a dGPU.

you could theoretically make multiple different combos of cpu and different gpu but it would add complexity and skus that wont sell when there really is no benefit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also throwing a cheap amd gpu on a laptop board for those who need just a little more power is another good solution.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hrm, alright, that’s an interesting way to look at it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk for sure but that would be my guess. I'm sure there are technical decisions you'd also have to make around integration with the cpu, sockets, cooling, etc...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Management posted:

probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch since they already made an integrated one to go on the A11x Bionic

but if intel gives them a price break on the vega i7s pretty sure they'd only be too happy to slap them into rmbps

more likely they'd go with intel's / vega over their own since someone's already done the work for them, plus they have a history of going with external vendors for graphics, first was ixMicro for their towers back in 1995.. AMD (ATI back then) first showed up in Macs in 1997, them and Apple have a long history

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also garbage tier amd is what apple users are used to

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i was impressed with how quickly imagine tech got parted out to buyers once apple ditched them

powervr was deece and I can only assume they calculated that apple could overpower them with brute money force lawyers should they seek to redress any patent fisticuffs from apples somehow independent gpus

but Im dumb so I dunno

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ seem to remember imagine tech showing up at a few trade shows with a PCIe card version of their graphics chip, claimed they already had DirectX drivers already done for it, guess that was never going to make the market..

by contrast nvidias didn't show up in macs until july 2000, 5 yrs after amd/ati when geforce 2mx's were an option for the infamous g4 cube

boy i remember the days when i was flashing cheapass pc geforces to use in macs, think i still have couple of modded 6200s lying around..

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/02/apple-rd-spend-exceeds-3b-for-first-time-up-410m-from-september

$2.999 billion on iOS development, $10 bux to buy more coffee filters for the lone java maker in the macOS division

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 4, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

from a design perspective it’s not too difficult as GPUs generally scale linearly with added parallel instances. they would need to add a memory controller and pci endpoint, not a big deal. the hard part is that discrete gpus have a higher TDP than CPUs and require different chip package technology that is not generally available.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ seem to remember imagine tech showing up at a few trade shows with a PCIe card version of their graphics chip, claimed they already had DirectX drivers already done for it, guess that was never going to make the market..

powervr already failed in the marektplace as a discrete gpu product

it never seemed real likely they would re-enter

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

not as discrete graphics but they seemed to be the fastest licensable mobile graphic kings when matched with some tim designed arm cores, for a decent number of generations, before apple said "nope"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

just throw an a12 with some hbm on a thunderbolt, boom

as for dedicated from integrated intels attempts at going from one to the other have been pretty lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgakov posted:

not as discrete graphics but they seemed to be the fastest licensable mobile graphic kings when matched with some tim designed arm cores, for a decent number of generations, before apple said "nope"

nah, they were not keeping up with Qualcomm and even arm. Apple has been customizing the gpu cores for several generations, starting with IMG designs but replacing more and more every year. by the time they told IMG that they are no longer licensing it they already had a fully custom gpu taping out.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

i want an easily-maintainable server farm full of cheap buildslaves that can be legally licensed to run macos

Even Microsoft has this in VSTS, so it's probably not that big a deal.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

nah, they were not keeping up with Qualcomm and even arm. Apple has been customizing the gpu cores for several generations, starting with IMG designs but replacing more and more every year. by the time they told IMG that they are no longer licensing it they already had a fully custom gpu taping out.

oh!

still curious why there wasn't a publicized patent shakedown

is there a wide industry-style MAD agreement?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i miss the old days some times

(not the stripes though)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

(not the stripes though)

brushed metal supremacy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

brushed metal supremacy

its more of a combed metal really

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pinstripe supremecy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
this thread is making me nostalgic for my old 2009 Mac Mini

such a plucky little computer

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

i miss the old days some times

(not the stripes though)

i think i still prefer os9 platinum to every modern os.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
mac users used to obsess about their dock and dashboard in ways that are impossible to describe

the whole "minimalism" cargo cult was something else in particular

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

jony neuemonic posted:

i think i still prefer os9 platinum to every modern os.

same

also os9 finder to every modern file manager

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I bought my mom an iPhone SE since she was needing a new phone and my dad, an Android user, has convinced himself that she is trying to hide something because of the fingerprint reader.

He doesn't realize his phone has a fingerprint reader as well
:negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I bought my mom an iPhone SE since she was needing a new phone and my dad, an Android user, has convinced himself that she is trying to hide something because of the fingerprint reader.

use your facial hole to communicate that to you're dad?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
nah, I want to see if they'll get divorced over a telephone button

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nah, I want to see if they'll get divorced over a telephone button

nice username/post combo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lol what a beta cuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Doc Block posted:

this thread is making me nostalgic for my old 2009 Mac Mini

such a plucky little computer

same except my old LC520