Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

same except my old LC520

same except my old se/30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I bought my mom an iPhone SE since she was needing a new phone and my dad, an Android user, has convinced himself that she is trying to hide something because of the fingerprint reader.

He doesn't realize his phone has a fingerprint reader as well
:negative:

that kind of behaviour is common among neurotic cheaters. sorry about your dads affair

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Monster bought a gently caress you Apple Superbowl ad for their new headphones line

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Apple Music is on the verge of overtaking Spotify AB in U.S. paid subscribers, a sign that the music-streaming world’s dominant force is facing growing competition ahead of its hotly anticipated public stock offering.

crapple sinking ship

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
spotify must be really struggling if it's losing subscribers faster than apple music

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doc Block posted:

same except my old se/30

same but the g3 imac

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

crapple sinking ship

apple is growing at 5%, spotify is growing at 2%

spotify also has twice as many subscribers as apple

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how is bing xbox live music groove zune msn wma playsforsure 98 doing these days

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

apple is growing at 5%, spotify is growing at 2%

spotify also has twice as many subscribers as apple

has Spotify found a way to make money yet

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pram posted:

how is bing xbox live music groove zune msn wma playsforsure 98 doing these days
shut down jan 31st.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume nobody is buying mac minis in appreciable numbers

our build lab was nothing but Mac Minis. because they could (somewhat) fit on a rack, and performance for building our stuff was "good enough", even if they're old. Then we got told from higher up that we were getting 15 "new" Mac Pros, because "We have the budget, and that's what our other teams use now :downs:", so now we're stuck with machines that are a pain in the rear end to rack, have poo poo disk IO if you're using VMs, and honestly don't build that much faster than what you could do on a Mac Mini, at least for the stuff we build.

sleepwalkers posted:

shut down jan 31st.

considering how many users it had, i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

one thousand dollar telephone

quote:

The iPhone X's early teething troubles have largely gone away, but there's a lingering problem for some owners... and it's a fairly serious one. Users have reported that the iPhone X's touchscreen won't turn on for several seconds when there's an incoming call, preventing them from answering or seeing who's on the other line. Complaints started surfacing in December, but the issue has persisted until now.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Fun facts about Spotify.
In the beginning Spotify used pirated mp3s that they didn't have the license for. Link.
Spotify threatened to sue researchers that are writing a book about Spotify that's coming out this year. Link.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chris Knight posted:

they make money, but lose more. as much as I love Spotify, they won't generate a profit and basically doomed to failure over the next 4 years, especially after it starts busting once the ipo money is gone and no new investing. and money from free/"ads" are joke.

the upcoming piecemeal war of music streaming is gunna be p awful and they fact they've have maintained access to like 99% of artists out there with cheap premium is pretty good and I like it.

but music streaming is fundamentally different than like tv/movies netflix because those you see once or twice and if they're gone that's ok, but once you start losing an artist or two and people notice their playlist shrinking, they're gunna get pissed and move onto who has everything again. apple and google have far more limitless money to throw at labels and raise cost/exclusive rights. spotify won't be able to keep up and as soon as they try to cut their loses, which will happen over the next couple of years, to reach that nebulous "profit" by cutting expensive labels and other music library, its gunna lead to massive hemorrhaging of premium users and welp

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

when that bubble bursts I guess it’s over to .. apple music?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

when that bubble bursts I guess it’s over to .. apple music?

yeah it'll basically spill over 3-way to google, apple, and amazon, unless microsoft's partnership with spotify means that spotify now gets to use microsoft's wallet. i don't think there's anyone else wealthier/more influential than spotify in the business, yet

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

they make money, but lose more.

that’s called not making money

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, i think it is a pretty big leap to write spotify off, granted it is another one of those where the ipo necessary to make the investors happy seems hugely optimistic, but the revenue is pretty drat high, and the losses have been steadily falling, to a point where profitability looks largely inevitable if they can avoid having investors meddling to try to realize profits at a quicker pace

either way, the actual ipo not blowing something up is the biggest issue, i am not sure why one would expect apple, google or amazon to suddenly do something massively better in that market, they have all been at it for a good while without harming spotify much. while there are bound to be some exclusivity shenanigans going forward as well it is not in the big labels interests to drive anyone out of business, and it is not like it is a market where it makes that much sense to make huge losses to take market share if it isn't for some monopoly building, since it is not a market that leads anywhere else

i certainly would not buy into the ipo, but i would not be the least bit confident making some contrary bet either

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

eh, i think it is a pretty big leap to write spotify off, granted it is another one of those where the ipo necessary to make the investors happy seems hugely optimistic, but the revenue is pretty drat high, and the losses have been steadily falling, to a point where profitability looks largely inevitable if they can avoid having investors meddling to try to realize profits at a quicker pace

either way, the actual ipo not blowing something up is the biggest issue, i am not sure why one would expect apple, google or amazon to suddenly do something massively better in that market, they have all been at it for a good while without harming spotify much. while there are bound to be some exclusivity shenanigans going forward as well it is not in the big labels interests to drive anyone out of business, and it is not like it is a market where it makes that much sense to make huge losses to take market share if it isn't for some monopoly building, since it is not a market that leads anywhere else

i certainly would not buy into the ipo, but i would not be the least bit confident making some contrary bet either

i can hardly say how fast they will fold, but i dont see them winning the long war. music publishers are clawing back at spotify, and they are far from the wealthiest or most powerful players in the field, just the most recognisable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is absolutely no way the publishers prefer to hand the market share over to google, apple or amazon though, which they cannot bully in any way shape or form. they may have another go at making their own streaming solutions, but staying in bed with spotify will likely be far more palatable in the meantime

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i dont care about apple music but i am really upset that they got rid of the ad free radio if you have itunes match

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there is absolutely no way the publishers prefer to hand the market share over to google, apple or amazon though, which they cannot bully in any way shape or form. they may have another go at making their own streaming solutions, but staying in bed with spotify will likely be far more palatable in the meantime

I for one can’t wait to see the music industry flop around again like a near dead fish flopping around

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

I for one can’t wait to see the music industry flop around again like a near dead fish flopping around

lmao yeah leave it to the music industry to finally find a way to actually make money off of music and then totally gently caress it up by creating their own bespoke streaming platform that nobody will ever use

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao yeah leave it to the music industry to finally find a way to actually make money off of music and then totally gently caress it up by creating their own bespoke streaming platform that nobody will ever use

I hope you enjoy listening to only a handful of artists and gently caress you if you want more

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol like i would pay for media ityool 2018

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Fraudulently charging my CC

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lol like i would pay for media ityool 2018

even latvians can afford doing that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I was using iOS 10 on my 6S but upgraded a couple days ago to 11, is it just because I have an older phone but this thing seems like a giant piece of poo poo???

the autocorrect feels worse and autocorrecting way too soon and wrong words, touch typing seems worse in general. everything has giant big font INBOX everywhere. also my Mail keeps being stuck showing Sending 1 of 1 which it didn’t do before and there’s nothing being sent

also keeps bugging me about Apple Pay and iCloud poo poo which I keep telling to turn off, also tried to turn on that two factor thing that it wa bugging me about and keeps saying failed when I filled it out lmao

gently caress this is really bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

I was using iOS 10 on my 6S but upgraded a couple days ago to 11, is it just because I have an older phone but this thing seems like a giant piece of poo poo???

the autocorrect feels worse and autocorrecting way too soon and wrong words, touch typing seems worse in general. everything has giant big font INBOX everywhere. also my Mail keeps being stuck showing Sending 1 of 1 which it didn’t do before and there’s nothing being sent

also keeps bugging me about Apple Pay and iCloud poo poo which I keep telling to turn off, also tried to turn on that two factor thing that it wa bugging me about and keeps saying failed when I filled it out lmao

buy a new phone

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Xaris posted:

buy an iPhone X

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boiled Water posted:

I hope you enjoy listening to only a handful of artists and gently caress you if you want more

Now! That's What I Call Streaming for only 19.99 a month.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xaris posted:

how are people still falling for this? never update ios. it only gets worse with each release.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

how are people still falling for this? never update ios. it only gets worse with each release.

in my defense, i had pushed it off like.. 6 months? and I was in an intoxicated state that i wasn't thinking and thoguht "welp it cant be that bad now, its been 6 months surely all the bugs have been worked out!"

i got owned by timmy c

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
this seems worth asking because you didnt specify, and you mentioned installing update while drunk: aer you running 11.2.5 or 11.0.0?

only asking because i drunkenly convinced an old friend to update to 11 on his 5S pretty recently (i think 11.2.1 was current), and the over-the-air update was only showing 11.0.0 despite restartng phone and checking again, presumably had to check for update again after running 11 to get point release (or install the whole thing through itunes to begin with, which was too much of a pain at the time)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Xaris posted:

no problems on my iPhone Steve Edition, maybe you’re holding it wrong

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OldAlias posted:

same but my 6s. are you using a pirate ipa store or something?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sideloaded "ipohn_os_11.apk"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you actually bought a counterfeit x and its running a skinned android. sorry for any confusion

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Xaris posted:

in my defense, i had pushed it off like.. 6 months? and I was in an intoxicated state that i wasn't thinking and thoguht "welp it cant be that bad now, its been 6 months surely all the bugs have been worked out!"

i got owned by timmy c

how are people still falling for this, engaging shaggar in the apple thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

OldAlias posted:

my 5s generally works

sometimes it doesn't, but you know, most of the time