Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Elendil004 posted:

About the virus/river/etc. Where is the research facility? I've got the rocket pad/gantry/boosters built, I've found an entrance to the River by Lifepod 2, but I don't think I can get the Cyclops into it, and my Prawn can't make it up the big waterfall of green stuff. Should I just put the mk3 depth mod on the Seamoth and try that way? I feel like I need the prawn to ward off bitey things.

I kinda feel like I missed an obvious path.

I don't know what you have on your Prawn, but the grappling arm is really useful for getting higher on normal boosters, since you can hang off the wall while they recharge. I ended up exploring everything with the prawn (you'll be alright if you're being careful) with the standard depth mod and a grappling arm until i got the materials for 2nd and 3rd tiers and the jetpack upgrade. I mainly use the seamoth to bus back to my shallow water base.

Following the river left and down a large drop (and then left again) got me to the research facility, though both directions will lead you somewhere. If you've got the parts for the seamoth mods you can probably get it done quicker and with less rations. Depth mods for all the vehicles coincide with the absolute max depth of each area, but the seamoth one won't get you everywhere.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

As long as you're underwater, if you can't get somewhere in a PRAWN, you just need to grapple more. It can be used to build up momentum while your jump boosters cancel out most of the drag and gravity, so you can get out of even the deepest pits with a few cycles. Don't forget the jump boost still (slowly) charges while hanging from a grapple.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are there depth restrictions on bases? I should build a small one at the mouth so I don't need to risk the cyclops against these dumb idiot worm things.

edit: Plus I can charge my power cells, though I think i'd have to nerdpole up to sunlight...or do a bioreactor.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
No depth restriction, you just have to put more reinforcements/less windows.
If you build next to a volcano vent, you can put a thermal power plant and have ton of energy for less hassle than a bioreactor.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 4, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think it multiplies the strutural integrity costs the deeper you go but otherwise build wherever you want.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think it multiplies the strutural integrity costs the deeper you go but otherwise build wherever you want.

That would explain why my Lost River moonpool exploded the moment I put a corridor next to it.

I just finished the game last night; it took a total of 40 hours due to almost entirely avoiding outside info until I'd reached the lava zones. It was kinda sad to leave, really.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Elendil004 posted:

Are there depth restrictions on bases? I should build a small one at the mouth so I don't need to risk the cyclops against these dumb idiot worm things.

edit: Plus I can charge my power cells, though I think i'd have to nerdpole up to sunlight...or do a bioreactor.

If you're talking about lifepod 2, there's a thermal vent just over the cliff opposite it. In addition, basically any location there is going to have thermal vents somewhere near.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pretty pointless, but it fits!

Just barely

The water level is buggy though.

Also kinda frustrating I've picked up several dupe keys, but still no Cyclops Thermal to Power thing, and no enhanced Cyclops sonar.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Found a time capsule with two ion batteries in it. What a nice surprise.

Whiirrr fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2018

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I hope the first mod after COOP is the ability to hold both the Seamoth and the Prawn in the Cyclops.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Carecat posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make lightsticks use batteries, making them too annoying to use for anything but temporary lighting.

Probably the people who designed them as temporary lighting :)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magus42 posted:

Fun fact about the light sticks. Many months gone by, a dev chimed in with "But light sticks shouldn't drain batteries anymore, we changed the code so they wont!" to annoyed commentary over them still draining batteries.

That sort of mindset is probably how poo poo like the literal 300 minute recharge times on the cyclops thermal reactor made it into live weeks later after reports in experimental. Maybe light sticks are harder to fix.

Though worse than that bug, was the fact the player base still defended it as good gameplay/"No, an patch claiming a 50% increase in speed instead meaning it now takes as long as an extended cut lord of the rings is clearly working as intended" :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 4, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Huh. So this is why the bonesharks near my seabase keep ranting about cultural marxism every time I swim by. :godwinning:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the thing I felt worst about was not stuffing my spaceship’s lockers with raw materials and water/cured fish for the journey

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the thing I felt worst about was not stuffing my spaceship’s lockers with raw materials and water/cured fish for the journey

Locker 1: Bleach, medkits, large waters, food blocks
Locker 2: Cured fish, stasis rifle, propulsion cannon
Locker 3: Cuddlefish, alien artifacts, silver and rubies, safety equipment (fiber materials, fire extinguisher, flares)
Locker 4: Ion cubes and diamonds

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
a reaper yell at me now im dead and uninstall the game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zomborgon posted:

Locker 1: Bleach, medkits, large waters, food blocks
Locker 2: Cured fish, stasis rifle, propulsion cannon
Locker 3: Cuddlefish, alien artifacts, silver and rubies, safety equipment (fiber materials, fire extinguisher, flares)
Locker 4: Ion cubes and diamonds
Dust off the stillsuit because I don't think the rocket comes with a restroom/bio reactor.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how many megafauna can grow inside an alien containment? I've got three now two crabsnakes in there hoping they'll breed for my bioreactor but nothing's happening.

anyway, I built a base inside the jellyshroom caves.

slightly annoyed that the cave is juuust too big to fit onto a maxed out scanner, but it's still pretty.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Magus42 posted:

Not going to say they are totally useless in that role but we already have flares, flashlight/seaglide, vehicle lights and on top of that a beacon or Pathfinder Tool is much more practical for navigation. I've never used light sticks or flares because the flashlight/seaglide are enough. If light sticks didn't have a limited lifespan I could actually use them for cosmetic base lighting.

tjones
May 13, 2005

double nine posted:

how many megafauna can grow inside an alien containment? I've got three now two crabsnakes in there hoping they'll breed for my bioreactor but nothing's happening.

I believe it is dependent on how many alien containment modules you have stacked on top of each other. I have two stacked currently and I have 4 of the larger fish plus their eggs and a handful of the smaller prey fish at any given time.

Nice base, by the way. In the alpha I would normally build my starter base in the red plains above the jellyshroom cave entrance and put a smaller outpost inside the cave. It and the blood kelp zones are my favorite areas in the game.

I randomly decided for the release to build my starter base at the edge of the mushroom forest and the gun island kelp forest. It has turned out to be an awesome area. It's right below the kelp forest, has a wreck 50m away for salvage, and is near the start of the koosh zone. The area itself is flat and wide, which makes parking the sub a breeze.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s really, really deep. there’s one facility past the part with rib cages sticking up, but past that there’s a deep hole into a lava filled area and a long descending tunnel that leads into a massive lava filled cave, then holes in the floor that go wayyyy down into ANOTHER lava filled room where the main facility is. You need the Cyclops with all three depth mods to reach it, and crafting the mods requires kyanite, which is only in the lava area. The seamoth can’t even really go to the first lava area, even fully upgraded, and the prawn can’t manage the deep holes.
The Cyclops will fit though.

edit: basically, when you enter the lost river, you are a bit less than halfway to the terminal depth, and there’s quite a bit of horizontal movement required too.

FYI the PRAWN can handle those deep holes (and literally everything else down there) just fine with jump jets and a grappling hook. I don't even bother taking my Cyclops past the mouth of the river, because it's a ponderous fatty with a huge target on its rear end. The PRAWN makes you faster, more agile, and able to pretty much avoid every hazard the game throws at you down there.

edit: Plus, if you don't take your Cyclops all the way down into the lava zones, you won't have to bother with the headache of getting it back out. Exit the Aquarium in your PRAWN via the portal, and you can just Spiderman your way back to where you left your Cyclops. Then BOOM, thanks to that portal, you'll never have to bother with traversing lava zones ever again (if you don't want to).

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 5, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Trustworthy posted:

The PRAWN makes you faster, more agile, and able to pretty much avoiddrill through the face:black101: every hazard the game throws at you down there.

FTFY

Definitely just use the prawn instead of the fatty sub though. Hell, I wouldn't even use the sub without a shield + ions it's so awful

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like the only person on the internet that thought the Cyclops was fun. The first time I built one and realized you could dock your other vehicles in it was maybe one of my top 3 moments in the game. I loved how silly and complicated it was. I even liked having to use the cameras to maneuver. Any time it banged into something I felt myself wanting to whisper, "Damage report.."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I love the loving cyclops and I wish I could build a megasub to dock it on

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's cool certainly, it's just not really very useful so if you've been playing the game for a while you tend not to bother with it unless you set out to use it for some reason.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah I loved my cyclops and only used the prawn to drill stuff. Had no problem getting through any of the caves once I got the hang of camera mode -> mousewheeldown for lower camera, mousewheelup for upper camera. Once you have sonar for it exploration is a dream.

My fave cyclops moment was the first time it caught fire, I rushed back, and discovered that it comes with fire extinguishers on brackets in sensible places.

Also they blow up super good, I recommend getting your cyclops killed sometime just for the experience.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It needs to carry both vehicles, that's my issue with it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I love the loving cyclops and I wish I could build a megasub to dock it on

The sequel to this game should you be building a spaceship that can pick up the cyclops and you fly off to explore other alien oceans

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I feel like I've been in almost every wreck and I still can't find moonpool fragments... Anyone know where this is?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

It needs to carry both vehicles, that's my issue with it.
I found a happy medium where I would set out in the Sea Moth from my base for scouting and leave beacons on anything I thought warranted the Prawn like mineral deposits or deep caves. Then I'd steam back out there later in the Cyclops with the Prawn suit loaded. That's really what it ended up as: a Prawn carrier/mobile base. The Sea Moth is so fast and maneuverable that it felt fine on it's own.

But you're not wrong. A Cyclops that could carry multiple vehicles would be cooler by every measure.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 5, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The don't take your Cyclops into the endgame facilities advice is so loving stupid and i wish you guys would stop telling it to people.

Not only is the Cyclops great as a mobile base and immune to damage if you turn off the engines and let go off the helm for when you get attacked (the first hit NEVER does damage, it's coded that way) then wait like 5-10 seconds for the leviathan or whatever to gently caress off.
You also have to craft down there to unlock the big ol' story chamber unless you want even more tedium by going back to your base to do it either by backtracking to your nearby base or hoofing it through one of the portals, while the Cyclops can ferry all your materials, all your food needs, all your battery recharge needs, recharge itself when it's a tiny bit hot around you AND craft almost everything in the game.

You would have to have actual braindamage to not be able to get it through the caves or to get it damaged let alone destroyed.

:bahgawd:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I built my rocket and said goodbye to my cuddlefish. Do the lockers serve any purpose before I push the big, red button?

My time capsule:
Cup of coffee, cuddlefish egg, ion cell, ion battery, arcade gorge toy, and the "Don't panic" poster.

Dongattack posted:

The don't take your Cyclops into the endgame facilities advice is so loving stupid and i wish you guys would stop telling it to people.

Not only is the Cyclops great as a mobile base and immune to damage if you turn off the engines and let go off the helm for when you get attacked (the first hit NEVER does damage, it's coded that way) then wait like 5-10 seconds for the leviathan or whatever to gently caress off.
You also have to craft down there to unlock the big ol' story chamber unless you want even more tedium by going back to your base to do it either by backtracking to your nearby base or hoofing it through one of the portals, while the Cyclops can ferry all your materials, all your food needs, all your battery recharge needs, recharge itself when it's a tiny bit hot around you AND craft almost everything in the game.

You would have to have actual braindamage to not be able to get it through the caves or to get it damaged let alone destroyed.

:bahgawd:

Also, it's fun. Why play games if you don't like fun? I felt like a badass maneuvering that thing around and avoiding all the big nasties and stuff.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dongattack posted:

I LOVED the endgame with the Cyclops.

In a rare moment for me I actually figured out ahead of time the lava zone was going to be a big deal and all the stuff I hadn't found yet was probably down there. I pretty much moved out of my base and onto the Cyclops full time before I set out. Materials, tools, plants, fabricators, etc. It definitely made the lava zone tense as gently caress knowing I had all my worldly possessions on that sub while listening to the Sea Dragon shake the walls as I swam around knifing leaches off the hull.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

McCracAttack posted:

I LOVED the endgame with the Cyclops.

In a rare moment for me I actually figured out ahead of time the lava zone was going to be a big deal and all the stuff I hadn't found yet was probably down there. I pretty much moved out of my base and onto the Cyclops full time before I set out. Materials, tools, plants, fabricators, etc. It definitely made the lava zone tense as gently caress knowing I had all my worldly possessions on that sub while listening to the Sea Dragon shake the walls as I swam around knifing leaches off the hull.

If you have the Cyclops Shield module you don't have to swim out to knife them either, you just pop the shields on and off and fry the leeches. It's one of the many gameplay elements i wish the game communicated better or at all.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dongattack posted:

If you have the Cyclops Shield module you don't have to swim out to knife them either, you just pop the shields on and off and fry the leeches. It's one of the many gameplay elements i wish the game communicated better or at all.

:aaa:

The few times I used the shield it seemed to drink power faster than anything so I was gun shy about using it. That would have been a time saver though. Those are exactly the sorts of little touches I love in this game. I also wish the game had a line in the codex about them responding to noise so I would have realized sooner that silent running made them swarm you much less.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright, which of you was this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean really in the space future it's only reasonable that there's a nonzero statistical probability of a fanfic author not only crashlanding on an alien planet but also surviving long enough to write a doujins about his boneshark waifu.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Akion posted:

Alright, which of you was this?

:hmbol:

nullEntityRNG posted:

My bad decisions posted:
CHAPTER 29: THE FATED DAY

It was a bright morning as I adjusted my black silky hair out of my eyes. "Another day another ocean" I sighed, adjusting my brand new reinforced diving suit. It was easy doing it by hand not too hard for someone like me. (I know it requires a fabricator but shutup it's my fic XD). Suddenly there was a tap on my door. I opened it. It was bone-chan. She was eating her favorite peeper-snacks. She was crossing her arms. "Finally you answered dum-kun" she huffed. I hated that nickname she gave me. "I'm sorry, I just heard you" "yeah whatever. Come on we need to go to the underwater island before school starts ."

As we were dashing to school which was like normal school but partially underwater and cool, bone-chan slipped and fell on the ground. Instantly I put out my hand only for her to bat it away. "I don't need your help, dum-kun" she said.

I shrugged. Bone-Chan was always so rude and jerkish to me- but that’s fine. Somehow I knew today would be different, as the wind swept up my raven hair.

CHAPTER 30: THE ENCOUNTER

School was boring and it was lunch. I was sitting with my pals Warper-Chan and crash-domo until bone chan sat with us. She had a plate filled with more of the peeper snacks. "Hey maybe you should cut back on the snacks " Warper -Chan said.
"How about mind your business, germaphobe" "hey now" I said "somebody us are worried about you bone-chan. Especially me."
She got up and left. "Why are you so nice to her" crash-domo asked
"I dunno... she just seems like she needs it"
“That’s silly, she’s always been a jerk to all of us”
“I know”
I shrugged again, taking a bite out of my Nutrient Block- terrible as always- like sawdust. “But ya know guys, I think shes that way because she’s been hurt by alot, ya know?”
Warper-chan shook his head, conjuring an image of a peeper-snack (he got that power-alright!?!!), “All she wants are her snacks-and if you’re in her way, you’re dead.”
I shrugged again. “Maybe...” I sighed, gazing over to the window, “But maybe...”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I put two cuddlefish in the aquarium, will they reproduce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OwlFancier posted:

If I put two cuddlefish in the aquarium, will they reproduce?

No. Creatures only breed in the Alien containment and Cuddlefish don't breed at all.