Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25240?locale=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pivo posted:

You can also trigger the screen saver with a hot corner like the other weirdos here but I could never get used to that and would trigger it accidentally more than intentionally.

The trick is to put the corner on a secondary or third display so that it's harder to accidentally trigger it while using your main display.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I don't want to change the behavior globally, just for browsers (or even just my main one would be fine).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

hooah posted:

I don't want to change the behavior globally, just for browsers (or even just my main one would be fine).

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25377?locale=en_US

You can kinda do this by rebinding app-specific menu commands, it's a bit finicky to get working, and you're SOL if it's not in the menu bar IIRC

edit: but I would recommend not going too crazy with 'make macOS behave like Windows' tweaks, once you get used to the Mac way it's pretty easy to switch between machines, but eh

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

hooah posted:

is there a way to use the control key for all browser shortcuts, as I do on Windows?

coward

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

TopherCStone posted:

Does it run really hot? Apparently kernel_task can sometimes take over CPU utilization in response to high temperatures (or perceived high temperatures due to a faulty sensor, etc.) You might need new thermal paste.

(Last night I opened up my Early 2011 13" and replaced the battery, swapped HDD for SSD, and went all the way in to apply new thermal paste. Runs fantastically now)

Last night it seemed to be better. I left it up and running to finish FileVault encryption to see if that is part of it.

The battery is not an Apple battery. The laptop is a freebie and I didn’t want to invest a huge amount of money in it when I am not sure I’ll even use it regularly (it is older and less powerful than my normal MBP albeit with a bigger screen).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pivo posted:

edit: but I would recommend not going too crazy with 'make macOS behave like Windows' tweaks, once you get used to the Mac way it's pretty easy to switch between machines, but eh

In general I'm trying to stick with the macOS way, but in this case it just seems weird to have to switch between command and control for pretty heavily-used hotkeys.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

hooah posted:

In general I'm trying to stick with the macOS way, but in this case it just seems weird to have to switch between command and control for pretty heavily-used hotkeys.

I'm trying to think of a keyboard shortcut in Safari that uses control instead of command. A quick flip through the menus doesn't grant me any insight, either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Generally speaking, in macOS the Ctrl key combos are the ancient ones inherited from Unix and GNU Readline. So you can jump around in text fields with ^A and ^E for example.

https://tiswww.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rluserman.html

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

edit: nevermind, misunderstood

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Axiem posted:

I'm trying to think of a keyboard shortcut in Safari that uses control instead of command. A quick flip through the menus doesn't grant me any insight, either.

Control+tab switches tabs in Chrome and Firefox.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, is there a way to embed Apple Photos metadata into the photos themselves? My sister made a bunch of albums in Photos but she wants to move away from Photos as her primary means of organizing without actually losing the effort that went into creating the albums. I was thinking if there was a way to tag each photo with the album title, that might be a way to keep the organization.

[Edit] My first thought was using something like this to just select the albums and then manually add the keywords, I think that might work? but I was wondering if there was something less manual.

ephori fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 2, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Don't think Photos.app will support that directly but you can export to a directory structure like 'Album Name\PhotoXX.jpg' and then brew yourself exiftool and iterate over the directories and writing the EXIF ImageDescription tag or whatever tag you want, hopefully something understood by whichever tool you import with.

Or maybe just import the directories as albums directly.

Depends on what she'll be using for photo organization going forward

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
She wants to try out Google Photos as a backup, since she's already paying for Drive, but without losing her meticulously organized albums. My thinking is if the album titles are in the EXIF data, Google Photos can search by it and she can quickly re-make the same albums.

Exiftool would give me the automation I'm looking for if it had a way to identify which albums the photos were in... not sure if there's a way to surface that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

As I said, if you export it to Album Name\file.jpg you can extract the album name from the path in a shell script (see dirname or basename) and use that in your call to exiftool
Just run find . -type f and pipe those into your script.

It's quick and dirty but it'll work and I'm pretty sure Photos.app can export multiple albums at once (but I'm not at a Mac to verify)

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/mgg-answers/export-multiple-albums-macos-sierra-photos/

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9561

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 2, 2018

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh.. I missed that with the export. That makes sense. Thanks!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

hooah posted:

Control+tab switches tabs in Chrome and Firefox.

Ah. I just use the OS-wide shortcuts for changing tabs for that sort of thing. `Command-shift-[` and `command-shift-]`. It works in all the browsers, and any other application that I've run into that has tabs. Control-tab doesn't seem to do that.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone else had problems deleting instances of recurring events in Calendar? I don’t think it’s specifically a Mac thing. I have the same bug happen on my phone and on icloud.com. Basically I’ll delete an event and one second later it appears back. It doesn’t always happen, but happens pretty frequently.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

funmanguy posted:

hey, we might be jamfing it up around here, anyone have experience implementing it?

Pay the $5k or whatever to have one of their professional nerds come out and walk you through it over two days.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

AlternateAccount posted:

Pay the $5k or whatever to have one of their professional nerds come out and walk you through it over two days.

yeah, that seems to be a dealbreaker for my bosses. oh well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

funmanguy posted:

yeah, that seems to be a dealbreaker for my bosses. oh well.

I was very skeptical, too. But it was waaaaayyyyyy more valuable than I expected. You might be able to blunder though by reading the community stuff and experimentation, but I am not sure they'll even sell it to you without doing the jumpstart or whatever they call it.

I don't know what you're paid, but I guarantee you that you will spend well more than $5k of your labor getting Jamf set up to the same degree as 2 days with an expert and a plan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

I was very skeptical, too. But it was waaaaayyyyyy more valuable than I expected. You might be able to blunder though by reading the community stuff and experimentation, but I am not sure they'll even sell it to you without doing the jumpstart or whatever they call it.

I don't know what you're paid, but I guarantee you that you will spend well more than $5k of your labor getting Jamf set up to the same degree as 2 days with an expert and a plan.

$5K for 2 days of training seems ridiculously inexpensive to me.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Proteus Jones posted:

$5K for 2 days of training seems ridiculously inexpensive to me.

I'm at a small town university and they hate spending money. I am pushing for it, but sadly, I don't get to make the choice.

e: anyone know a way to make a netrestore image of 10.13 as HFS+ without resorting to terminal? I have to teach some other people to do this and I would prefer having a UI for them.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

funmanguy posted:

I'm at a small town university and they hate spending money. I am pushing for it, but sadly, I don't get to make the choice.

e: anyone know a way to make a netrestore image of 10.13 as HFS+ without resorting to terminal? I have to teach some other people to do this and I would prefer having a UI for them.

AutoDMG

https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
yeah, thats what I am using but its not really supported in the UI, so I have to set it all off in terminal. I don't want my coworkers to ever open terminal, its just asking for trouble.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

yeah, thats what I am using but its not really supported in the UI, so I have to set it all off in terminal. I don't want my coworkers to ever open terminal, its just asking for trouble.

Wrap the terminal stuff in Automator? Shoot them and get better coworkers?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

DigitalRaven posted:

Wrap the terminal stuff in Automator? Shoot them and get better coworkers?

I was following the instructions from here. I like my coworkers because they are nice people, so I will hold off on shooting them for the time being, but I won't rule it out yet.

Violator
May 15, 2003

How is iCloud Drive reliability now? I've been thinking about moving some of my files from Dropbox to iCloud Drive because I'm always running out of space in my Dropbox but have like 100 gigs free in iCloud. But the early horror stories have kept me from doing it. I've been pretty happy with Notes, Reminders, etc. syncing so I'm guessing iCloud reliability is better now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iCloud Drive has worked fine for me since day one. I feel like the early horror stories were people just not understanding how it works and somehow managing to lose data when they toggled it off or on with an existing installation or something.

The only “real” issue I’ve seen lately is that it messes with extended attributes, which can lead to weird results if you’re accessing one iCloud Drive on machines running a mix of Sierra and High Sierra:
https://eclecticlight.co/2018/01/06/icloud-drive-can-strip-metadata-from-your-documents/

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My only complaint now is that the Windows client is awful and slow. If you don't intend to sync with any PCs then I think it's fine and reliable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to either separate trackpad and mouse scrolling or flip the scrolling direction when a USB device is plugged in or unplugged? Since this is a company laptop, I can't install anything on it, but I might be able to run a script or something if that'll work.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

I was following the instructions from here. I like my coworkers because they are nice people, so I will hold off on shooting them for the time being, but I won't rule it out yet.

That's fair.

Once you've got autodmg installed, the image in a known location, and the template set up in a known location you run shell commands in Automator with AppleScript. Something along the lines of should get what you want done, not sure if you'd need to quote stuff.

code:
do shell script "/Applications/AutoDMG-1.8/AutoDMG.app/Contents/MacOS/AutoDMG update && /Applications/AutoDMG-1.8/AutoDMG.app/Contents/MacOS/AutoDMG download 10.13.1 17B48 && /Applications/AutoDMG-1.8/AutoDMG.app/Contents/MacOS/AutoDMG \build --download-updates --installer /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app /Applications/MySite.adtmpl"

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

funmanguy posted:

It's 100% supported from the UI within AutoDMG v1.8

Go to the Window menu and select Advanced Options.

Choose "HFS+J" as the Filesystem.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I tried doing some googling but all I found were people who kept getting dropped bluetooth connections... hopefully someone can help.

I run my MBP 15" (2017) in clamshell mode with my monitor at home. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (Logitech craft + Logitech mx master 2s). They work great all the time, wake up the computer, etc. EXCEPT if I restart my Mac they never connect until I open my MBP and manually log in. Once I'm logged in they start working again.

Does anyone know how to enable it so they work with the Mac on startup?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Thanks for the help friends. I will play around with it on Monday.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Vomik posted:

I tried doing some googling but all I found were people who kept getting dropped bluetooth connections... hopefully someone can help.

I run my MBP 15" (2017) in clamshell mode with my monitor at home. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (Logitech craft + Logitech mx master 2s). They work great all the time, wake up the computer, etc. EXCEPT if I restart my Mac they never connect until I open my MBP and manually log in. Once I'm logged in they start working again.

Does anyone know how to enable it so they work with the Mac on startup?

Try un-pairing and then re-pairing them - to connect on startup (especially if you have disk encryption on), the pairing data has to be put into a separate location to be shared with the login screen, and that might have gone wrong the first time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have an external Apple cd drive that I use for my late 2012 MBA. When I put in an audio cd, sometimes the icon will not show up on the desktop - however it will show up in iTunes and be playable (in the case I'm having right now, the icon showed up on the desktop for the same audio CD just a few days ago). I'm wondering why this is... the other issue is that I put in a cd with documents/excel stuff, and it doesn't show up either, and I have no idea to get to what is on the cd.

I did double check and my finder preferences do have CDs, DVDs, etc. to show up on the desktop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The 2nd issue might be if the write session wasn't closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Was that a response to me?