Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the blacksmith in whiterun because she obviously had only one take to say Eorlund Graymane.
"I'm not the best blacksmith in whiterun, EORLUND GRAYMANE'S got that honor. "
"I just can't fill an order that size! Why don't you swallow that stubborn pride and ask EORLUND GRAYMANE for help?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually he does change the way he speaks. When that guy voices the thieves guild leader he tries really hard to sound gruff and tough (it doesn't work at all). When you meet that contact its just him doing his normal NPC voice. That guys voice is really distinct so I can always tell when its him. Usually he doesn't try to change his voice at all but when he does its really bad. He voices a priest in Whiterun that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Its still better than Oblivion where half the races had only one voice actor, usually shared with another.

VVV I don't think this guy actually voiced anyone in Oblivion. I do think he voiced Nick Valentine in Fallout 4 though.

He does voice Nick, yeah. It’s the guy who voiced Garrett in the Thief games. Stephen Russell. He’s not the shouty Whiterun priest though. He’s Belethor the shopkeeper iirc and the talking dog around Falkreath.

He does all the Mr Handys in Fallout too. Codsworth!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

eating only apples posted:

He does voice Nick, yeah. It’s the guy who voiced Garrett in the Thief games. Stephen Russell. He’s not the shouty Whiterun priest though. He’s Belethor the shopkeeper iirc and the talking dog around Falkreath.

And Corvo Attano in Dishonored 2!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure they do. The reason for this is they record lines that are unique for each character and also have a pool of general lines shared between every character that voice actor does. Generic stuff like greeting messages and combat banter are the main example. Obviously Bethesda does this because it saves time and money versus recording this dialogue for every single NPC. However if the voice actor tries really hard to alter their voice, Bethesda can't use the generic lines without them sounding completely out of place.

The priest I mentioned earlier is the perfect example of this failing. The VA tries to sound overly-dramatic on purpose to imitate an over-the-top preacher. So he'll be shouting with a pious voice in his regular dialogue, then when he says goodbye he switches to that VA's standard performance and it sounds completely different.

The weirdest part is that they also did this for the writing; in the Whodunnit quest most of the VA's have a bunch of identical lines despite none of said lines showing up elsewhere.

Beggars in Oblivion are probably most notorious for the whole voice-change hilarity. They decided to give them over-the-top british pauper accents for their lines, but then gave them the normal rumours.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

oblivion is pretty notorious but it did also come out in 2006 when few games were voiced nearly as extensively

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

eating only apples posted:

The priest I'm referring to isn't the annoying Talos one. He's a priest of Arkay that hangs out in the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun. I don't think you'd ever meet him if you don't go in there and the game doesn't ever direct you too. Across like 6 playthroughs I only just found him.

Berke Negri posted:

oblivion is pretty notorious but it did also come out in 2006 when few games were voiced nearly as extensively

Oblivion was extremely ambitious with its voice acting, creating hundreds of voiced NPCs that all had some amount of unique dialogue. But even back when it came out and I was in love with that game I thought the NPCs were ridiculous, mainly because the radiant conversations didn't flow together at all and sounded horribly disjointed.

Neurolimal posted:

Beggars in Oblivion are probably most notorious for the whole voice-change hilarity. They decided to give them over-the-top british pauper accents for their lines, but then gave them the normal rumours.

This is another good example of why Bethesda tells their VAs to keep their performance consistent across characters.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speedball posted:

Croup Manor is fun to decorate if you can get enough carpets to cover up the holes in the floor. I also like to use it as a Raider base if I'm raiderizing settlements.

Mine is pretty good after installing Place Anywhere so I could patch the holes with wood floors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing that bugs me most about the voice acting in Skyrim is the way they gave the same lines to every shopkeeper. I hate hearing poo poo non-sequiturs like "The finest weapons and armour" and "Some call this junk, me - I call them treasures" from multiple people.

Well, that and the way nobody ever shuts up. Walking through town everyone yammers at you constantly, go into the alchemist shop to make some potions and the shopkeeper just loops endlessly through her six lines.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

"Have you heard of the High Elves?"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Skeleton King posted:

"Have you heard of the High Elves?"

Avatar/post combo seems oddly fitting.

Anyway, on the topic of F4, I'm kinda waiting to continue my playthrough until RotC allows normal settlers, or at least the named ones, to be assigned as city leaders.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

If I buy and play Fallout 4 for the first time, GOTY edition - should I just disable Automatron, the workshops, and Nuka-World DLC and just leave Far Harbor in?

I don't plan on using mods.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've heard Automatron is good, and a robot companions is something I would actually be into crafting

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yandat posted:

If I buy and play Fallout 4 for the first time, GOTY edition - should I just disable Automatron, the workshops, and Nuka-World DLC and just leave Far Harbor in?

Nah, keep them. Automatron's not bad and you don't have to do any of it even if you accidentally find where it starts, and I haven't played Nuka-World but I have it and it doesn't seem to affect anything at all in the main game before you start it. I don't think it even opens up til level 30 or something.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yandat posted:

None of those have any real impact on the game if you choose to ignore them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I was having a problem with Nick trying to trigger his quest. It had triggered, then I'd died and reloaded, and it wouldn't fire again. While fussing around firing and hiring him, I tried assigning him to a new town to see if I could get him to fire his dialogue, but accidentally assigned him as a caravan to the town I was trying to assign him too. But Nick didn't start marching away. Instead, he fired up his quest and decided it was time to hunt down Eddie Winter. But we wouldn't be going alone.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Man why you gotta give Edgar Winter trouble, he only wanted to play Frankenstein.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

marshmallow creep posted:

So I was having a problem with Nick trying to trigger his quest. It had triggered, then I'd died and reloaded, and it wouldn't fire again. While fussing around firing and hiring him, I tried assigning him to a new town to see if I could get him to fire his dialogue, but accidentally assigned him as a caravan to the town I was trying to assign him too. But Nick didn't start marching away. Instead, he fired up his quest and decided it was time to hunt down Eddie Winter. But we wouldn't be going alone.

Ah, finally a lore friendly pack mule companion. How many doorways does it get stuck in?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yandat posted:

Automaton is actually good for the robot building if nothing else. Robot companions are pretty nice and the quest line was actually entertaining; it went with the zaniness that showed up in the original Fallouts and takes the piss out of comic books a bit. Nuka-World you could take or leave; the story is tremendously loving stupid and whatever you do save before you hop on the train and don't immediately do it at level 30. Raider settlements are underwhelming but there are some real neat toys to play with in the gear.

The workshop DLC is completely useless except for the ammunition factory.

To be honest my advice is to not buy Fallout 4. As much as I've played the crap out of it and enjoyed parts the game is horrendously buggy and the writing is frequently awful. Maybe get it if it's on sale at some point; that's when I snagged it. With how bad the quality is I'd have been pretty cranky if I paid full price for it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

marshmallow creep posted:

A cow and a robot, that's a buddy cop movie that hasn't been done before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sadly the cow has vanished after going into a basement interior cell, but if he comes back I will let you know.

edit: Oh, speak of the cloven hoofed one and he shall appear.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 5, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've always wondered why there was not a human or ghoul NPC in the fallout game that had two heads.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A while back someone said they felt that the original Fallout games were a lot more disgusting than the new ones. I kind of agreed and disagreed at the same time; I couldn't really think of anything in those games that was more repulsive than content in the new ones, but something definitely felt a lot more filthy and dirty about them. Then I realized what it was; the talking heads.

Everyone looks loving hideous in Fallout 1/2. Whenever you get a zoom in on an NPC, they look like horrifying. Even the normal humans are dirty, sweaty, and filthy. The animations definitely do not help with this, being very stiff and repetitive. It makes talking to people extremely unpleasant and the whole experience of the game less friendly. Interacting with people is just uncomfortable. Bethesda NPC models aren't amazing but they are awful in more of a comical way than a horrifying one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Seeing a face like Harold's contort in anger when you pissed him off sure was an unpleasant thing to watch, yeah.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think the primitive 3d rendering helped a lot too; in old games it often looks like high quality claymation, which is a really good medium for 'gross' textures and vibes.

The designs of 3/NV/4 have a lot more detail to work with, but at the same time that gives way to being too detailed/overdesigned, which kind of neuters it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gynovore posted:

None of those have any real impact on the game if you choose to ignore them.

Not necessarily; Automatron adds the Mechanist hordes and Rust Devils to the random encounter spawn pool, which can cause some large and out of control battles when they show up in certain areas. I'm a fan of it, though.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest my advice is to not buy Fallout 4. As much as I've played the crap out of it and enjoyed parts the game is horrendously buggy and the writing is frequently awful. Maybe get it if it's on sale at some point; that's when I snagged it. With how bad the quality is I'd have been pretty cranky if I paid full price for it.

I think he's asking because it is on sale (at least, on PSN it is).

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 5, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Wolfsheim posted:

Not necessarily; Automatron adds the Mechanist hordes and Rust Devils to the random encounter spawn pool, which can cause some large and out of control battles when they show up in certain areas. I'm a fan of it, though.

Only once you start the Mechanist questline, but as you said, who wouldn't want that? Also I like A-da as a companion and the storyline is short but a neat questline I think.

The workshop DLCs are all completely ignorable if you don't do any settlement building, but do add some nice QoL additions for them if you're already getting the GOTY.

Nuka World is...not great? In the sense none of its parts feel like it really gels together well. I've never done a raider playthrough so as a "good guy" run it's basically a lot of interesting set pieces to slug it out with high end enemies and some interesting equipment but everyone's pretty much an rear end in a top hat and at the end dead. You can also just ignore it completely if you want.

Far Harbor as everyone says is really great and definitely the highlight of the game.

Of course if you do have the dlc on you can use mods to introduce the various standard guns and stuff into the Commonwealth loot tables so there's that too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I modded the Rust Devil spawn rate back to something reasonable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think the unofficial patch takes care of that at this point, I know my last playthrough like four? or so months ago it wasn't so noticeable but when it came out it's like they replaced all the raider gangs in the commonwealth.

Also replaced all my loading screen slides as well.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm pretty sure that the robot and Rust devil raids don't begin until you start the questline. Not 100% here.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think he's asking because it is on sale (at least, on PSN it is).

It's $15 on Steam right now. At that price I'd say go for it, the price probably won't get lower until the next big game comes out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

It's $35 for GOTY on steam but that's a pretty good value for something you could just gently caress around with for 50-100 hours with good gameplay and graphics in my opinion

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

Nuka World is...not great? In the sense none of its parts feel like it really gels together well. I've never done a raider playthrough so as a "good guy" run it's basically a lot of interesting set pieces to slug it out with high end enemies and some interesting equipment but everyone's pretty much an rear end in a top hat and at the end dead. You can also just ignore it completely if you want.

Raider playthroughs are pretty cool. I love it when Preston freaks out at you, that alone is worth the price of admission. Nuka mixes are pretty useful in survival mode, especially the nuka grape mixes. Free rad reduction, without the crippling side effects? Don't mind if I do.

Too bad it doesn't go anywhere. Conquer the whole Commonwealth and you don't even get a pat on the back from Gage.

Pretty funny to see huge packs of Pack roaming the wasteland killing everything, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The workshop DLC is completely useless except for the ammunition factory.

The fusion reactor, powered soil water pump, and decontamination arch are also useful to have. The various traps are at least simple to set up and use.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does becoming a raider in Fallout 4 let you kill Preston?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Internet Kraken posted:

Does becoming a raider in Fallout 4 let you kill Preston?

No, he's the plot fallback if you piss off all the other factions preventing you from continuing the main quest.

As usual, the main quest fucks everything up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I haven't actually finished this game, ever, but why would you need an NPC to advance the main quest, really? Several quests advance on their own without NPC input. Just...do that. Have critical information on notes or books tucked in a corpse's pocket or desk if you have to.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The main quest ends with a big battle like 3 and New Vegas; for that you need someone who you can say "ok let's have the big battle now" to

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus the structure of the attack means you need support crew.

Still sad Automatron didn't add a robot army ending.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

The main quest ends with a big battle like 3 and New Vegas; for that you need someone who you can say "ok let's have the big battle now" to

So?

If no one's left do a fireworks show or a giant robot breakdance number or something.

Saying they put no thought into the critical path seems generous at this point.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
After the clumsiness of the first project purity quest, I don't know if I can continue on to Waypoint Zeta. Dad, get off the intercom and help me. Why not give me the fuses right away. I'm stuck in a pipe and the enclave are landing. Why can't I open this door. Ugh.

Point Lookout was okay though. I liked the redneck models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I actually don't know why they bothered making it impossible to break the main quest, since after it you just continue playing as normal and all you get from it is some faction based loot