Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

freebsd jails and solarish zones are a way better container model than namespaces+cgroups+apparmor/selinux that you have to wrangle separately. ffs, with 'jails' the name says it all: incarcerate your processes

why

why is jails better than namespaces and cgroups

hear this all the time, but the reasoning is always that jails and zones are simpler.

maybe that's the reason it never took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SamDabbers posted:

freebsd jails and solarish zones are a way better container model than namespaces+cgroups+apparmor/selinux that you have to wrangle separately. ffs, with 'jails' the name says it all: incarcerate your processes

You still have to wrangle it separately with jails. Jails do not imply/include lomac and an exploit inside a jail can and will root the host.

SELinux is a necessity with or without containers, but SELinux parameterization, control groups, and namespacing make it a lot easier to implement something like jail(8) except is actually secure.

--

I believe the same is true of Solaris zones, but to be honest, I've never looked into it. Because Solaris is dead.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tl;dr: security and containerization are orthogonal.

use selinux you jackasses

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tl;dr: security and containerization are orthogonal.

use selinux you jackasses

As the maintainer of the SELinux packages for BuildRoot, I agree.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ah, here come the gold-platers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

here’s a security tip: unplug you’re computre

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nothing is secure because there's always like a dozen local root holes in the linux kernel

if an attacker gets local execution on a vm you write off the entire vm, end of story

seccomp and friends reduce the avenues by which an attacker can exploit a local root hole but idk how much i'd rely on them

use containers for ease of management and use vms to actually contain breaches; hypervisor exploits do happen but when they do it's actually a big deal as opposed to a tuesday

maybe i'm a bit :tinfoil: but exploit mitigation is the only class of security measures on linux that actually do something useful imo, kernel-enforced access control lists aren't really going to feature very heavily in the process of your system getting owned

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 6, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, a Tide ad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

ah, here come the gold-platers

you newfangled gold platin engineers

in my day boats had a few holes and sometimes the wings fell off the plane and you just learned to like it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

nothing is secure because there's always like a dozen local root holes in the linux kernel

if an attacker gets local execution on a vm you write off the entire vm, end of story

that is the point of selinux

attacker gets uid=0 and that ... doesn't win anything.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uh...?

attacker gets the ability to make the kernel do whatever the gently caress they want. uid=0 is just a means to an end at that point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

attacker gets uid=0 and that ... doesn't win anything.

setenforce 0?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hobbesmaster posted:

setenforce 0?

no one would ever try that!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
who cares about security that is all too much effort, run all ur stuff as root including your desktop environment

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the slackware way

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

the slackware way

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
does anyone actually run unix multiuser anymore?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My uni has a shell server :shrug:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
big shared computational clusters at universities are all multi-user machines, rhel or (more commonly in my experience) centos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

big shared computational clusters at universities are all multi-user machines, rhel or (more commonly in my experience) centos

depends a bit on size, they rather quickly get to be proper time-share and batch systems, where security becomes a very light concern (as the system itself is then gated behind some system that e.g. issues a short-term kerberos ticket or so for your access, and the larger system itself not really keeping any state, beyond a bunch of scratch with no guarantees). the clusters at my home university run ubuntu these days actually (reasonably serious systems, tending to debut pretty high up on the top500). i am not sure precisely why, but it is likely a mix of it not really mattering (the single-purpose nature and it is not like these systems will ever get e.g. spectre patches) and some users wanting it

in fact it seems a very narrow space between living in a bunch of vm's on a physical machine, and having needs great enough that you have to span a bunch of physical machines exclusively anyway

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

new KDE LTS is out today

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem with ACLs is that there are three mutually incompatible systems: Linux/POSIX ACLs, Windows ACLs, and NFSv4 ACLs.

<very Carnegie Mellon voice> Also AFS acls </vcmv>

So technically four incompatible systems, though I've never seen AFS outside of education

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 7, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

setenforce 0?

uid 0 can’t run setenforce from inside an selinux context

instead of all permissions checks being “is uid=0?”, programs are granted specific capabilities and not even root can exceed them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

every job I’ve ever had used multi user Unix at least some of the time

my current job, most developers even run their editor / IDE on big shared machines — their laptops are basically expensive X terminals

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my current job, most developers even run their editor / IDE on big shared machines — their laptops are basically expensive X terminals

are you a cj for The Bad Place or something?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Gazpacho posted:

spankmeister posted:

My uni has a shell server :shrug:

I remember how everyone at my uni used to telnet into a cluster of sun boxes and ran PINE for email, and you could kill pine and you’d have a ksh prompt and see the 300+ people logged in at any one time.

And that “supposed to be for email” system had one of Sun’s C compilers available for anyone to run.
that’s an awful lot of trust in isolation of a multi user system.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 7, 2018

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Coffee Jones posted:

I remember how everyone at my uni used to telnet into a cluster of sun boxes and ran PINE for email, and you could kill pine and you’d have a ksh prompt and see the 300+ people logged in at any one time.

And that “supposed to be for email” system had one of Sun’s C compilers available for anyone to run.
that’s an awful lot of trust in isolation of a multi user system.

when I was at my uni, everyone had a shell and you ran pine yourself

now they use webmail

can’t really remember what normal users did besides use pine

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every job I’ve ever had used multi user Unix at least some of the time

nice mid-1990s cosplay

even Ciaphas’ work doesn’t do that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

are you a cj for The Bad Place or something?

no, they use punched cards

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

el dorito posted:

when I was at my uni, everyone had a shell and you ran pine yourself

now they use webmail

can’t really remember what normal users did besides use pine

most people at my university used a nice graphical mail client with full support for fonts, styles, etc., hierarchical mailboxes, and seamless access to netnews

that’s irrespective of whether they were on a Mac or one of the supported Unix systems

people using MS-DOS or a shell session (dialup or telnet) used a curses-style fullscreen text app with a real menu bar and windows and colors and styles and poo poo, and even mouse support on MS-DOS systems

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I use multi-user unix fairly frequently. Most of the research in my physics department that is too big to run on a laptop is instead run on one of the shared linux machines.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
every person having a computer is a waste of computing power. we should all be remoting into a vax

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

perhaps the network *is* the computer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

only VAX I want is a VAXStation/MicroVAX 2000, they’re adorable

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I want an HP 2645 like curiousmarc and use it for shitposting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what about an HP 85, you could listen to the radio

(also curiousmarc’s, he’s an HP nerd)

this though is a pro as gently caress posting station

HP IPC, a 68K-based system with HP-UX in ROM and a built in inkjet printer

other than the fact the system won’t boot if the printer fails self test they’re pretty drat cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
HP's incredible line of

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

every person having a computer is a waste of computing power. we should all be remoting into a vax dropping off our programs at the computer desk to be fed into the card reader and submitted to the all-company system/360

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i do a lot of jenkems janitor work so all my modern computers are just a fronend for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is possible via ACLs, but people don't use ACLs very often

the problem with ACLs is that there are three mutually incompatible systems: Linux/POSIX ACLs, Windows ACLs, and NFSv4 ACLs.

on your local filesystem, you define permissions in terms of linux/posix, but when you export that filesystem over a network, those perms now have to be converted on the fly to one of the other two systems. and that process sucks.

so people avoid ACLs despite how useful they are :(

ntfs acls are correct. the rest can be discarded