Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Maybe now that he's experienced the consequences of posting racist screeds online he'll think twice before ahahaha nope he's just gonna become the latest gamergate martyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fuego Fish posted:

Maybe now that he's experienced the consequences of posting racist screeds online he'll think twice before ahahaha nope he's just gonna become the latest gamergate martyr

Has he had any meltdowns on twitter after being fired?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
nothing public no

but hes got a rush of defenders that seem straight out of 4chan so probably for the best

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'll never understand why people just don't make a anonymous account to talk about hosed up poo poo instead of using their Lead Sound Designer account :q:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I'll never understand why people just don't make a anonymous account to talk about hosed up poo poo instead of using their Lead Sound Designer account :q:

Because they don't think it's hosed up poo poo so why would it be bad?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Shame he had to go. Some of the music in this game is just about perfect. Presumably he refused to apologise or you'd think they'd have kept him. Maybe he's as obnoxious in person.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dongattack posted:

Probably because they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

That or they're stupid.

Maybe those 2 statements are really just 1.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dongattack posted:

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, people should be held accountable for their varying degrees of terrible views and spouting them to an audience. But firing the Lead Sound Designer on a game universally lauded for its stellar sound design is not "trimming the fat". It's a huuuugge blow.

The music is so obnoxious I tried to play with it on and eventually just had to give up.

The rest of the sound is about as good as the pop-in. Multiple times I've found myself wondering "what is THAT sound" since the sound design is rear end and I can't monitor the world around me through it.

Now TF2, TF2 had good sound *design*. In Subnautica the sound is just... there?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Nerds are loving idiots

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh. Your gimmick here is that you’re copying comments from the Kotaku article. Okay. Saw that comment earlier and chuckled at him completely missing the point.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zesty posted:

Oh. Your gimmick here is that you’re copying comments from the Kotaku article. Okay. Saw that comment earlier and chuckled at him completely missing the point.

You really need to try and chill out dude, nobody is out to "get you" or whatever you have convinced yourself. I don't have a gimmic and i haven't read any articles about this.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

endlessmonotony posted:

The music is so obnoxious I tried to play with it on and eventually just had to give up.

Really? Agree the triggers and playback timing etc. are poo poo but I loved the tracks for what they are. Not sure what kind of music could do a better job. Personal taste though I guess.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

endlessmonotony posted:

The rest of the sound is about as good as the pop-in. Multiple times I've found myself wondering "what is THAT sound" since the sound design is rear end and I can't monitor the world around me through it.

Now TF2, TF2 had good sound *design*. In Subnautica the sound is just... there?

You're weird.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can enjoy the work someone has produced even while acknowledging that the person who made it is a bad person. I Hope This Helps

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just had my second death in Subnautica after ~20 hours of playtime - I got Warper'out of my Seamoth and died instantly. Hard to guess what kind of bug it was, since level geometry doesn't seem to kill you (I already clipped through a ceiling exploring the aurora and had to spend ten minutes exploring the upside-down until I found another hole to fall through back into the world).

Glad I'd never play the game on Ironman, but still RIP 30 minutes of progress.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 6, 2018

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Seems to work fine. Other than the somewhat slower functionality of the crafting thing, which might be due to having the cyclops close to my base and it looking at 12 or 13 containers for the items.

Yeah, I noticed that - the reason is because Subnautica does the hunt for resources iteratively for every single blueprint each time you fire up a crafting window, and again when you craft an item. I'm gonna see if I can find a way to cache the resource list all at once so it can quickly scan.

uXs posted:

Aww gently caress yeah.

Now make one that automatically crafts the intermediate components if you have the base materials. :v:

That actually shouldn't be too hard.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are the last two achievements bugged? fire off a time capsule and beat the game didn't trigger for me. No cheats or anything used.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Energy values have apparently changed a lot.

Reginalds are not the best biofuel fish anymore - Oculuses are.

Nuke power is now quite good, mostly by virtue of being exceptionally long-lasting.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Are the last two achievements bugged? fire off a time capsule and beat the game didn't trigger for me. No cheats or anything used.

Yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is hitler sound man the same guy they hired to do the sounds for Natural Selection 2?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'm just happy being a terrible person had consequences

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is hitler sound man the same guy they hired to do the sounds for Natural Selection 2?

Yeah. Guess we know why he applied for that job

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah. Guess we know why he applied for that job

:biotruths:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like maybe in the intervening years there might have been a few hints?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Who cares how good or bad the sound design was. Sometimes people don't want to work with bigots, because, well, they're bigots.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm playing on freedom instead of survival, and haven't been grabbing/hacking too many fish/plants. I know aerogel or whatever needs gel sacs, crepevine is used for rubber, and table coral is an obvious need, but are there any blueprints/recipes that won't be triggered until I grab/scan something? I have the cyclops and am going deeper, but I tend to focus solely on wreckage/exploration - is there anything I'm missing by accident?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
is there a way I can cultivate table coral?

I couldn't plant it in an alien habitat or an exterior growbed. I don't want to have to run to the shallows every time I want some.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Renegret posted:

I couldn't plant it in an alien habitat or an exterior growbed. I don't want to have to run to the shallows every time I want some.

It's not used terribly often, go to the safe shallows once and grab a nice big stockpile of it? Fill two lockers with it and it should basically last you the rest of the game, it's easy to grab that much in one go too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renegret posted:

No, it's coral, it takes years to grow.

However, it does grow in at least one other place in the game. You also don't really need that much of it tbh because it's only used for computer chips and scanner rooms, a locker full should last you all game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

The fetch quest can be a bit of a sudden slog, yeah. But as for Cubes? If you mean the Ion cubes, the Ion drill node in the containment facility main hall respawns. Not that anything tells you this. (Or did they remove that perk? I haven't even bothered drilling that thing in quite a while).

On this note actually the node is now on a fancy pedestal which animates and also is scannable and tells you it makes more of them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OwlFancier posted:

On this note actually the node is now on a fancy pedestal which animates and also is scannable and tells you it makes more of them.

I didn't drag my prawn through the last lava bit so it was just frustrating to not be able to mine it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I didn't drag my prawn through the last lava bit so it was just frustrating to not be able to mine it.

Strictly you also don't need to do that either if you bring at least one ion crystal with you :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OwlFancier posted:

Strictly you also don't need to do that either if you bring at least one ion crystal with you :v:

What do you mean?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

What do you mean?

There are teleportation gates in the containment facility that lead to many parts of the map, which you can walk your prawn through quite comfortably, you just need a crystal to power one of them up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Can someone explain to me what my motivation is for building and using this escape rocket.

It seems like a bad idea.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone explain to me what my motivation is for building and using this escape rocket.

finishing the game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If I had a higher opinion of the developers I might suggest that's intentional.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sound man being a turd kind of puts a bad twist on the "china" soundbyte in the Sparse Reef's music.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I was thinking the same thing. I almost wish it was removed now but honestly its barely noticeable to begin with.

I think the sound design is mostly one of the better parts of the game in terms on creature noises, and the music does a good job of setting the atmosphere.Kind of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah follow the above advice and start making tools. I think the scanner is the easiest and maybe most important since it lets you unlock more blueprints. A base isn't a bad idea either because you will quickly run out of inventory space. A simple corridor with a hatch is enough to be able to build lockers

I have most of the tools? I've fixed everything in my pod. Can I fix the pods I keep finding? I got the little like, scooty sea thing that lets me move faster. I can scan the hell out of fish and I can build bases but I just don't know how? I guess I need more materials but this games' inventory system is a nightmare. I also have a knife I used to stab a harmless bug and felt bad about that.