Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah I started off unlocking all the skills for all demons and quickly just became thankful for this wiki right here in this tab I haven't closed since I needed to know when this demon I got like ten levels ago learned his last skill and what it was (it was garbage). Sucks when they inherit a skill I need to boost on my dude though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Apocalypse is definitely a budget half-sequel but it fixes just about every problem I had with SMT4. if you're only going to play one (which would be understandable) play A

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PYF thing dragging this game down: a gauntlet of smirking assholes

Heres my thing dragging a game down: FF12 is out for PC now and I'm broke. :randno:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My major issue with Monster Hunter World is that too many of the fights feel artificially stretched out. You can have the enemy techniques down, avoiding their attacks and everything, but still end up plonking away for ten minutes with no change in enemy behaviour or environment.

Endurance fights can be tense, but when you're just going through the motions...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Like many others sandbox crime games, escaping from pursuing enemies in Watch_Dogs2 is an absolute pain in the rear end. Any time, no matter how low your fugitive status is, gang members or policemen will spawn exactly where you are going, and if you do manage to escape, you gotta lay low for a while and of course they will also spawn wherever you are hiding and look exactly at where you are, no matter if you are completely offroad or left no trace behind.

It's a strange regression from the first game, too, where your hacking tricks would actually handle pursuers pretty drat reliably and the game wouldn't instantly spawn new ones 10 feet in front of you with no way to avoid them. They also didn't home in on your exact position at all times which meant you could actually use the hide in car feature once in a while and you could otherwise play Pac-man with them without being stuck with a permanent wanted level.

It also doesn't help that SF's layout sucks for chases. If you're on north side of the bay, you're pretty much just hosed.

Edit: The internet seems to imply that, in another inversion from the first game, the hide in car function is way better in 2, so perhaps that's what I've been missing.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Feb 5, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sweetgrass posted:

If you haven't just cheated out stuff yet you can also use wakka's dark buster on him to constantly inflict blind, X-golem has high resistance to normal blind attacks but dark busters 100% inflict rate should pierce it every time. AFAIK this also applies to ronso raging out a bad breath attack. Other than that he's also vulnerable to armor break and mental break which makes him much more manageable.

And I've never used this method myself but apparently the attack script for all the golems like him have a section where if you use provoke on one it'll always respond with blast punch on whoever provoked it, and since that only does %hp damage you'll never eat a KO.

Kerbtree posted:

Armor break and blind it.

Neat thanks! It's funny how dark shot and dark buster are described by the game. Dark Shot is something like "Causes blindness", Dark Buster "Almost always causes blindness". They made it sound like im actually downgrading

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watch Dogs 1 was the game where you couldn’t hack the helicopters from your car because the camera couldn’t be angled enough.

GTAV is weird about helicopters: if you drive off into the desert they have to refuel after a while (or something) and don’t return quickly enough to keep the chase going.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vic posted:

Neat thanks! It's funny how dark shot and dark buster are described by the game. Dark Shot is something like "Causes blindness", Dark Buster "Almost always causes blindness". They made it sound like im actually downgrading
It is kind of a sidegrade, but not in the way you think it is. Dark Shot is a classic "chance to inflict" status attack (albeit with damage attached, making it not fuckuseless like so many others): you hit an enemy that's got, like, 60% blind resistance and you have a 40% chance of blinding it, probably with some level difference calculations added. If the Darkness sticks, the enemy is blind for 3 turns.

Dark Buster otoh will always blind an enemy even if it has 99% blind resistance, though NOT (and this is why it says "almost") if the enemy is flat-out immune to blind. However! It only lasts one turn. So Wakka would have to be on constant blinding duty, or you use it against an enemy that counters hits to ensure that the counter misses the next three times you hit it. It's tactical!

As for SMT4: It's the first SMT game I played and while I tried some others, I didn't really enjoy them much. I did however really like SMT4. I can see the issues people have brought up, but there's one key thing to mitigate all of them: you can save literally at any time you want, unless I'm seriously misremembering this? I'd just save every five minutes and if an encounter wipes me due to bad luck, whatever. Really stress-free to play. Nocturne is a nightmare because you can go through an endless dungeon and then the boss is super disgusting and you don't even know what to do, then you have to replay half an hour. Far less my cup of tea, tbh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

My major issue with Monster Hunter World is that too many of the fights feel artificially stretched out. You can have the enemy techniques down, avoiding their attacks and everything, but still end up plonking away for ten minutes with no change in enemy behaviour or environment.

Endurance fights can be tense, but when you're just going through the motions...

Oft-times this can be mitigated by using elemental weaknesses and focusing on the enemy's weak points, while also using things like traps and the flash pods to keep the monster incapacitated. This can result in you absolutely annihilating the beast without it having any chance of retaliating.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: The internet seems to imply that, in another inversion from the first game, the hide in car function is way better in 2, so perhaps that's what I've been missing.

Yeah, for most of the game I would get just out of sight, find somewhere with reasonably decent cover (an alleyway or something), switch cars, drive to a different alleyway and then hunker down in the car. Often police cars would drive right past, and the helicopters have a serious problem unless they're directly above you when you ditch the first car.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

John Murdoch posted:

It's a strange regression from the first game, too, where your hacking tricks would actually handle pursuers pretty drat reliably and the game wouldn't instantly spawn new ones 10 feet in front of you with no way to avoid them. They also didn't home in on your exact position at all times which meant you could actually use the hide in car feature once in a while and you could otherwise play Pac-man with them without being stuck with a permanent wanted level.

It also doesn't help that SF's layout sucks for chases. If you're on north side of the bay, you're pretty much just hosed.

Most of the time there are too many pursuers for me to even think about switching cars but I'll give that one a try.

It's pretty insane, like, at a Level 2 or 3 you're already being chased by an entire army, I don't even want to know what happens if you reach Max Level.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Sigmascape 1 doesn't end with Godbert rocking out of the shadows and suplexing the Phantom Train.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Watch Dogs 1 was the game where you couldn’t hack the helicopters from your car because the camera couldn’t be angled enough.

If the chopper was directly overhead, yeah. Though IME it wasn't that big of a deal because Chicago had plenty of tunnels to hide in and they didn't hound you super hard unless you were like, full level five wanted or something. More annoying is how hacking them once only temporarily knocked them out and it took a second one to convince them to give up. WD2 wisely just cuts to the chase.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah, for most of the game I would get just out of sight, find somewhere with reasonably decent cover (an alleyway or something), switch cars, drive to a different alleyway and then hunker down in the car. Often police cars would drive right past, and the helicopters have a serious problem unless they're directly above you when you ditch the first car.

Samuringa posted:

Most of the time there are too many pursuers for me to even think about switching cars but I'll give that one a try.

It's pretty insane, like, at a Level 2 or 3 you're already being chased by an entire army, I don't even want to know what happens if you reach Max Level.

From what I saw you don't even need to switch vehicles. A crunched up minivan parked on top of a bunch of dead pedestrians with its engine off and a garrishly dressed hacker slightly slumped down in the driver's seat is probably not the same car they've been chasing for the last five minutes. That's how weirdly effective hiding in a car is.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I tried that today and it works! But you do have to get into hiding first, because you're invisible unless someone gets close to you, then back to spotted status.

I did some missions against the Tezcas and those guys are absolute shitheads that crawl out of the goddamn woodwork when you piss them off, so it was still somewhat annoying but much more manageable.

I do have a new thing dragging the game down:

They loving killed Horatio!? Come on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's actually just about where I stopped playing. It's such an inexplicable dark turn and due to how its implemented feels way too sectioned-off for how important and dramatic it is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Apparently killing the gargoyles frees an NPC who destroys one of the bonfires.

ffffAAAAiiiiRRRR

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Byzantine posted:

ffffAAAAiiiiRRRR

Nope. You must choose to let an imprisoned guy free, then after a long time where you have every opportunity to kill him and he keeps dropping creepy hints about killing the Fire Keeper he kills the Fire Keeper.

Later you can revive her, undoing an event you actively set in motion and allowed to happen.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

LeJackal posted:

Nope. You must choose to let an imprisoned guy free, then after a long time where you have every opportunity to kill him and he keeps dropping creepy hints about killing the Fire Keeper he kills the Fire Keeper.

Later you can revive her, undoing an event you actively set in motion and allowed to happen.

Lautrec escapes after the Gargoyles are killed regardless of whether you unlock his cage or not. If you've grabbed one of the other fire keeper souls beside the one in the church it will cause him to kill the fire keeper without even showing up at Firelink.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Olive! posted:

Lautrec escapes after the Gargoyles are killed regardless of whether you unlock his cage or not. If you've grabbed one of the other fire keeper souls beside the one in the church it will cause him to kill the fire keeper without even showing up at Firelink.

Alright. Kick his rear end off the edge then when he starts talking murdery.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Olive! posted:

If you've grabbed one of the other fire keeper souls beside the one in the church it will cause him to kill the fire keeper without even showing up at Firelink.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Byzantine posted:

ffffAAAAiiiiRRRR

Just lol if you don't like doing the lautrec revenge quest anyway.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

I'm trying to think of the complicated chain of events necessary to make this scenario happen and have decided that either
A) You're sequence breaking in this weird way deliberately and therefore can handle this
or
B) You're cursed by god somehow, nothing will save you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

LeJackal posted:

I'm trying to think of the complicated chain of events necessary to make this scenario happen and have decided that either
A) You're sequence breaking in this weird way deliberately and therefore can handle this
or

I mean, yeah. Sounds like option B in Byzantine's case.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Byzantine posted:

ffffAAAAiiiiRRRR

It's irritating if you wanted to do New Londo stuff, but you don't really need firelink otherwise and you can res the firekeeper if you push on with the story stuff that takes you even further away from it. It feels like a bigger deal than it is.

LeJackal posted:

or

You don't need to head back to firelink after the parish and you might not head down to the bit where he's at, especially if you've gone to New londo before and realised it sucks rear end.

Dingy set owns though, let the firekeeper die every run.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The three Firekeeper Souls necessary for Lautrec to get murdery can be gotten very, very soon if you start with the Master Key.
- Parish (after Taurus Demon)
- New Londo (immediately)
- Blighttown (with the Key, and on the way from the back entrance it unlocks)

Using the key IS breaking sequence, but if you do poke around with it, it's not unreasonable for it to happen. For me, not using the key, it was still a nasty surprise coming back out of Blighttown after an eternity down there, finally reaching the safety of Firelink...and whoops, it's not safe anymore.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

The three Firekeeper Souls necessary for Lautrec to get murdery can be gotten very, very soon if you start with the Master Key.
- New Londo (immediately)
- Blighttown (with the Key, and on the way from the back entrance it unlocks)

Using the key IS breaking sequence, but if you do poke around with it, it's not unreasonable for it to happen. For me, not using the key, it was still a nasty surprise coming back out of Blighttown after an eternity down there, finally reaching the safety of Firelink...and whoops, it's not safe anymore.

Almost like they are ratcheting up the tension and making it clear that you're affecting the world by progressing!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Almost like they are ratcheting up the tension and making it clear that you're affecting the world by progressing!
It's pretty crazy to me that I'm not even saying it's a bad thing in my post but you're immediately jumping to defend it. The original post said it was "unfair", yes, that is a negative word. You know what? I think it's unfair, but it's deliberately so and in a clever way, so I'm not mad. It's still a kick in the dick that hurts if you don't see it coming, and no I did not see it coming, and it's still not something that makes Dark Souls worse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

This one doesn't do it, everyone finds the soul before the gargoyles because it's right there on the path to the gargoyles.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

This one doesn't do it, everyone finds the soul before the gargoyles because it's right there on the path to the gargoyles.
Not JUST that one, but if you get ALL three. Though there are different triggers too (ringing both bells for sure), and people on the wider internet (I just searched) aren't completely in agreement as to what exactly does cause the event to trigger when. It's a bit of a mess and I don't claim that my "three Souls" info is correct, but I recall it happening this way before.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Crimsonland is mostly a fun time-waster action game, but after a point, whether you're trying to tackle the boss stages in the campaign mode or pushing for a high score on the leaderboards, the game falls apart completely because it becomes very obvious that it's way more of a slot machine than it is a skill exercise thanks to its excessively random elements and bad balance.

A lot of it boils down to the fact that the very first enemy you kill in a round can spawn any weapon in the game. Will it be the lovely SMG you will never want to use past the second level of the campaign? Or will it be one of the five or so top tier guns that can carry you through the entire round with zero trouble?

One boss in particular is, as far as I can tell anyway, also effectively impossible if you don't get one of a few specific weapons or one of the two perks that hard counter them by exploiting their logic. It's a hydra-style spider monster, where killing the largest form makes it split into two smaller ones, and on, and on, and on through a fair few tiers. Except even on the easiest difficulty it spawns 3 in quick succession. And by default they move very slightly faster than you, and only speed up with time to stop you from infinitely kiting. That and the XP fuckery described above functionally punish you for taking the smart tactic of slowly paring them down in inverse order of size, plus you'll almost definitely accidentally hit more than what you want when they're all mobbed together anyway. Plus their AI makes them spread out in a weird, unpredictable pattern that is guaranteed to eventually box you in. And monsters turn as fast as you move. And body-block you. And taking melee damage slows you down. Then in later stages where they appear they spawn alongside projectile-firing enemies, and there's friendly fire. Didn't get one of those counters in the first 30 seconds of the round? gently caress you, restart.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Simply Simon posted:

It's pretty crazy to me that I'm not even saying it's a bad thing in my post but you're immediately jumping to defend it.

Dark Souls white knighting is absurd in general. It’s the reason why talk of DS was banned from this thread’s predecessor. You can’t make any kind of negative claim about the series without someone springing out from behind a bush going “well actually” and derailing the whole fuckin thing.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I love Tekken 7 but the customisation options are really not that great. I'd love it if a DLC pack came out with a Saints Row 2-level customs. The one was got had Fundoshis, bikinis and metallic hair.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Isn't one of the weapons a friggin pizza?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Either ringing both bells of awakening or taking both firekeeper souls from the Parish and Blighttown triggers Lautrec's murder of the Firelink Firekeeper. The firekeeper soul in New Londo is a freebie.

You can save Solaire without grinding for Humanity by simply not talking to him in the Burg and Anor Londo. You can summon him anyway and you can kill the chaos bug in Dragon Butt land before resuming his quest.

This scripting is pretty generous compared to the quest design in Dark Souls 3.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Feb 6, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Not JUST that one, but if you get ALL three. Though there are different triggers too (ringing both bells for sure), and people on the wider internet (I just searched) aren't completely in agreement as to what exactly does cause the event to trigger when. It's a bit of a mess and I don't claim that my "three Souls" info is correct, but I recall it happening this way before.
Huh, that's really cool. I've never done a lot of sequence breaking in DS except the Blighttown skip. But I do like to run there straight away with the master key and grab the red sorcerer robes, since those are useful on most characters.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

ffffAAAAiiiiRRRR

Having to run all the way back to Andre to rest is pretty annoying, but the sidequest this starts is really cool, and definitely something you want to see your first time through Dark Souls. Just don't "use" the Firekeeper's Soul you get when you finally kill Lautrec, like I did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when decent games are spoiled because the main characters have moments when they are generally gross in a way that may not have been intended, like Ergo in Anima Gate of Memories.

I found a lot of his jokes were amusing enough and his relationship with the Bearer was interesting to watch, because of all his ribbing he does enjoy being partnered with her -during the inevitable bad ending when she tries to kill him he even warns her against releasing him, so even at times in which she tries to screw him he tries to stop her doing something dumb, even though being released is only good for him - but right at the start of the game he makes a gross quip implying that he groped her while she was unconscious - the only reason I can ignore that is that it is physically impossible for him to interact directly with her at all because she needs to consciously manifest him, and when he is Manifested she isn't there, so I can assume he's just making a joke in poor taste.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when decent games are spoiled because the main characters have moments when they are generally gross in a way that may not have been intended, like Ergo in Anima Gate of Memories.

I found a lot of his jokes were amusing enough and his relationship with the Bearer was interesting to watch, because of all his ribbing he does enjoy being partnered with her -during the inevitable bad ending when she tries to kill him he even warns her against releasing him, so even at times in which she tries to screw him he tries to stop her doing something dumb, even though being released is only good for him - but right at the start of the game he makes a gross quip implying that he groped her while she was unconscious - the only reason I can ignore that is that it is physically impossible for him to interact directly with her at all because she needs to consciously manifest him, and when he is Manifested she isn't there, so I can assume he's just making a joke in poor taste.

Is this a Japanese game?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No, a western PS4 game based off of a tabletop RPG that I've never heard of. I thought the gameplay was rough, but the bosses were pretty fun and their character stories could be interesting - Ergo just lets things down with some lecherous jokes here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

quote:

Anima is a tabletop role-playing franchise developed by Anima Game Studio. Anima's fantasy setting, called Gaïa, is significantly inspired by Japanese role-playing video games such as Final Fantasy and Suikoden, and features manga-like art, Eastern concepts of honor codes, mysticism and martial arts. Additionally, the world of Anima combines those elements with traditional Western fantasy ones, such as magic and medieval arms.

It's anime dawg

EDIT: But I completely agree these come up in the medium just out of nowhere and any sexual banter is of non-consentual nature. I've played an Adventure game called Deponia, and there's an unconscious girl and someone makes a joke they'd like to "be alone in there with her if you know what I mean he heh".

I have nothing against there being sex or gratuitous nudity, but them rapey references pretty much turn me off the whole game or cultural export.

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Feb 6, 2018