Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Hoovies is way more entertaining.

I have a hard time watching Hoovie, and I don't know if that's because I don't like his presentation style, or because I'm just too loving jealous because he buys the old cool junk that I want to play with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Who’s the guy who has a hateboner for Apple and posts tear downs on their devices?

And no, he doesn’t post itt :laugh:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Who’s the guy who has a hateboner for Apple and posts tear downs on their devices?

And no, he doesn’t post itt :laugh:

Jerryrigeverything

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like Forgotten Weapons because it's generally fairly apolitical (their other project, InRangeTV, is most definitely not) and Ian is an incredible wealth of knowledge on archaic and rare firearms. Also he's Gun Jesus and he takes it with incredible levity.

Matt and Tom is a light thing by Tom Scott and his colleague Matt Gray where they sit on a park bench somewhere and talk about stuff, usually related to the internet or travelling or the things they've been doing recently.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like Tom Scott so I'll add Matt and Tom to the list.

E: gently caress yeah Essential Craftsman!

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll suggest KEXP if you're a music fan, they are Seattle's biggest non-corporate radio station and usually have at least one live performance a day on the air, if not more

Essential Craftsman for an guy who was a carpenter for most of his life and has tons of great info to share with you. he's the awesome grandpa you wish you had.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 6, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

redgubbinz posted:

Linus Tech Tips is also good if you like computery things, heavy slant towards gaming of course.

So much no to this. Linus is loving horrid. Either he's legitimately stupid, or he's out to troll everyone by doing bizarrely-idiotic poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm not much of a Linus guy. Seems to be the shock jock of the tech world. But, whatever floats your boat.

I've updated my list with most of the suggestions so far, if anyone wants to reference back to that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I forgot to add Colin Furze and Master Milo
And the Redneck Restorations guy is Elderly Iron (I was phone posting earlier.)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cheers for that list MGS. A few new things for me to check out on there :)

You appear to have missed Colin Furze. Also The Slow Mo Guys - while not in the least automotive or particularly educational do make some pretty videos.

Also, perhaps controversially, I have now reached the point with AvE where the way he talks and overuses the deliberate mispronunciation of words just pisses me off and I therefore struggle to watch his videos anymore. Hope it’s not just me who feels like this!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Lazy Game Reviews dude also has a channel where he just makes kickass sandwiches. 10/10

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tomarse posted:

Also, perhaps controversially, I have now reached the point with AvE where the way he talks and overuses the deliberate mispronunciation of words just pisses me off and I therefore struggle to watch his videos anymore. Hope it’s not just me who feels like this!

I like him, but I can see where you'd be turned off by his wordplay. It's interesting to see his lexicon pop up in a lot of different areas online, it's catching on.

I've even seen it in my language. I was building a soap box derby car for my daughter and I couldn't spit out "neodymium" magnets, I kept saying "neodidlium."

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tomarse posted:

Cheers for that list MGS. A few new things for me to check out on there :)

You appear to have missed Colin Furze. Also The Slow Mo Guys - while not in the least automotive or particularly educational do make some pretty videos.

It is very much just you and I hope you get better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm feeling a little bit of the same for AvE, and have skipped some of his newer videos when I was crunched on time (in comparison to watching something else in my free hour). However, he has such a backlog of quality content that I still have it on my list and I still find him entertaining. But if it's a video where he's just explaining a basic electric concept and using the term "pixies" over and over I can occasionally go "I know how diodes work and this is slightly annoying."

The same with ElectroBOOM and his stuff. His backlog is so funny and genuine that, while I'm not subscribed anymore, I will watch his stuff. I don't know if he changed but there was maybe a six-month stint that he was 100% sponsored content shilling, so I left.

People like Laura Kampf get sponsored and all she does is have a shot that shows her Rockler (tm) clamps on episodes she does woodworking. But ElectroBoom was plain ol' shilling for 10 minutes one video so I got disgusted.

My favorite channel in my list, by far, is ClickSpring. I mean, tied with Applied Science. I mean, triple-tied with Practical Engineering. ...gently caress, hard to pick a favorite.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Previa_fun posted:

Lazy Game Reviews dude also has a channel where he just makes kickass sandwiches. 10/10

I have a weird love of that channel. He's just so into making a tasty sammich.

I'll add NerdCubed, Ashens, MyVirginKitchen, and Barshens for your recommended daily dose of (mostly) humorous British people.

I also really enjoy Paul Sellers, Will Matthews (similar to Hand Tool Rescue), Mr. Chickadee, and Primitive Technology for more relaxing videos.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
For anyone who's interested in watching an informative and smart Tech Guy who finds craigslist and goodwill old hardware, tear it down, and fix/upgrade it, Adrian Black has a shitload of good nerd videos. He also does stuff like hack arduino and figure out different ways to use Hue lighting systems.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While not most peoples thing, the hoonigan daily show is up to 200+ episodes with guest cars hitting just about any car discipline. The hosts can sometimes be annoying, but its overall super enjoyable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just found DeBoss Garage and it's pretty funny- definitely worth checking out just for the quad turbo LS Audi Quattro.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

the spyder posted:

I just found DeBoss Garage and it's pretty funny- definitely worth checking out just for the quad turbo LS Audi Quattro.

I like DeBoss too. Seeing him machine that bell housing with a router and it actually working is fantastic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

poo poo's about to go down up, yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

17 minutes to launch.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The boosters seem to have landed fine, but I'm pretty sure it's a huge :rip: to the core lmfao

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

poo poo's about to go down up, yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

17 minutes to launch.

INSURED, PLEASE DESCRIBE LOSS TYPE: car was shot into space

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That was legit one of the greatest things I've seen. That must have been what it was like watching Apollo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just watched that, nearly had a crisis. Desperate to know what happened to the centre stage though...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The boosters seem to have landed fine, but I'm pretty sure it's a huge :rip: to the core lmfao

Still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c&t=2269s

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn

Seat Safety Switch posted:

INSURED, PLEASE DESCRIBE LOSS TYPE: car was shot into space

Now we're gotta have a drat space debris rider on our car insurance.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That was legit one of the greatest things I've seen. That must have been what it was like watching Apollo.

Yeah. Was just thinking how unbelievable that must have been to see at the time, since this launch was that jawdroppingly amazing in the year 2018.
I shared it around the Slack at work and a bunch of non-space guys are now space guys.

Thanks for the link/heads up, Powershift

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

imma go play me some KSP

i've put literally 100hr into that goddamn game in the last 2 months

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:rip: core.

Worth it for the synchronized booster landing.

Now waiting for it to get out of Earth orbit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just leaving dis here

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just leaving dis here

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Much better.

Got the installer to enable the ethernet port on the ONT, so no dealing with their router, just plugged my existing one in and ready to rock. Just hoping they don't think I have a modem/router to send back whenever I move out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 6, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's loving killing me not knowing what happened to the central booster? Why do I care so much?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's loving killing me not knowing what happened to the central booster? Why do I care so much?

They have already said it had a rapid unscheduled disassembly upon landing

I dont think anyone at SpaceX cares tho right now....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh I missed that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I watch Linus Tech Tips because Luke is a hottie.

Hoovie's Garage gets on my nerves just like Doug DeMuro. They evidently failed the same acting school. Although I have to give Hoovie props on not taking himself so seriously, and actually trying to be factually correct.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats Elno on your spaysex launch. Sending a Tesla into space is actually pretty rad.

Piling on the YouTube channels worth watching Petrolicious is beautifully shot over and over as well as Gears and Gasoline. kpopRC is one of the better RC YouTube channels out there. He has some pretty unique projects and is well edited.

I avoid DeMuro. I have no idea what the draw is to that guy. A few of his videos are alright enough but mostly they are grating and I cannot finish them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Demolition Ranch

Pleasant chappie shoots things in a fun, yet non wannabe-Rambo way:
(No idea how to include a YT link without it embedding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UzN-z9nenE&t=168s

spog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 6, 2018

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

For small engine shenanigans, 805RoadKing is an older Yankee with all sorts of projects. Inline 4-cylinder Briggs & Stratton, watercooled Briggs, hit-and-miss Briggs, glass head Briggs, all sorts of other vintage engine rebuilds and teardowns.

Cars and Cameras has really neither, but some cool go-kart and minibike projects.

Smarter Every Day has a lot of science and slo-mo videos.

Abom79 has machining and fabrication videos. They're all pretty good.

mcmtv2 is Mighty Car Mods without the annoyances. It's Al and Ben, mostly, and they're down-to-business. The Skid Factory and Double Unicorn builds are all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My buddy’s dog had a singular puppy in her litter and we’re going to go visit him on Saturday (and probbo take him home)

He’s a big boy for a 9 week old :3: :3:

• Locked thread