Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

A blasted hellscape wasteland world infested with giant monsters that can only barely be beaten by advanced giant robots doesn't seem like a world where you'd kind of just have a town up in the mountains doing their own thing. If there were theoretical safe havens from the dinosaurs or places that weren't lovely blasted hellscapes, why wouldn't the council just use their advanced military technology to take those and live there?

An obsessive, cultish reverence for their homeland? They’re already ticking off a bunch of other weird theocracy tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

An obsessive, cultish reverence for their homeland? They’re already ticking off a bunch of other weird theocracy tropes.

I guess this could be a reason, though given their obsessive focus on data and numbers I've gotten less of a weird theocracy vibe("Papa" notwithstanding) and more of a cold, utilitarian technocracy vibe.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hiro just ended with a spiel about being part of the team. I don't think they are running away without some sort of falling out, or outside forces making them leave.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They talked about the Klaxosaurs being attracted to the energy they use, maybe there are agrarian communities doing just fine.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Guy Goodbody posted:

They talked about the Klaxosaurs being attracted to the energy they use, maybe there are agrarian communities doing just fine.

Yeah, that was my thinking on the matter. In particular, the "kissing" clearly triggered the worm klaxosaur attack and the ones in the episode before were drawn by the mining efforts. Indeed, given the technological look of the klaxes, I'd wager they feed on the same energy source that this society uses to power everything. Possibly abandoning that energy and going to live in an agrarian style could be the solution to the attacks...though if you're wrong about that guess you'll also have given away any hope for defending yourself from those attacks, so I can see why Papa and company aren't eager to go that route if they have another one available to them.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I'm still trying to figure out what LGBT Seeker of Justice means.

I feel like we glossed over this one with all the even weirder poo poo getting posted but I just wanna say its really fuckin funny haha

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

I feel like we glossed over this one with all the even weirder poo poo getting posted but I just wanna say its really fuckin funny haha

All my life, I've only wanted one thing... to be a 'seeker of justice'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I am happy my sarcastic word choice generated such joy :shobon:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darling in the Franxx, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darth Walrus posted:

Why are you calling Japanese culture a theocracy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Rated 5

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how far and how fast the Strellizia can fly, I guess. Maybe the rest of the world is less poo poo than Japan?

They are right next to the coast, yet 02 has never seen the ocean. Earth is hosed. Best luck would be finding another nation not as uptight.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This series is to show Japanese men you can be into robots and still gently caress

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, that was my thinking on the matter. In particular, the "kissing" clearly triggered the worm klaxosaur attack and the ones in the episode before were drawn by the mining efforts. Indeed, given the technological look of the klaxes, I'd wager they feed on the same energy source that this society uses to power everything. Possibly abandoning that energy and going to live in an agrarian style could be the solution to the attacks...though if you're wrong about that guess you'll also have given away any hope for defending yourself from those attacks, so I can see why Papa and company aren't eager to go that route if they have another one available to them.

This reminds me of the part in Knights of Sidonia where a bunch of pacifists believed that they were being pursued by the space monsters because of their weapons tech so they splintered off from the main fleet without said weapons and then all of them got devoured by space monsters that they couldn't defend themselves against because they had no weapons.

Though to be honest, living in an agrarian society where you have to live in fear of the colossal roaming nightmare dinosaurs and hope they don't naturally migrate through your territory and also you're never allowed to technologically advance because it might attract more colossal nightmare dinosaurs doesn't sound much more appealing than living in the technocratic totalitarian dystopia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

This reminds me of the part in Knights of Sidonia where a bunch of pacifists believed that they were being pursued by the space monsters because of their weapons tech so they splintered off from the main fleet without said weapons and then all of them got devoured by space monsters that they couldn't defend themselves against because they had no weapons.

Though to be honest, living in an agrarian society where you have to live in fear of the colossal roaming nightmare dinosaurs and hope they don't naturally migrate through your territory and also you're never allowed to technologically advance because it might attract more colossal nightmare dinosaurs doesn't sound much more appealing than living in the technocratic totalitarian dystopia.

But enough about Blue Gender.

... come to think of it, this does have a surprising number of parallels with that show, doesn’t it?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

I loved that bit so much. :allears:
They were so loving smug as well.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I had forgotten about that part but man that was pretty great

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/ANN_Forums_Txt/status/961058935389040641

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/ANN_Forums_Txt/status/958828991447781376

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
People gotta stop holding their enjoyment and engagement of a show hostage if that show doesn't do things they want. I want this show to do what other mecha shows have done and use both child and adult characters to examine their themes. So far this show is only about a bunch of sheltered children being turned into soldiers by the state in incredibly ham-fisted sex powered robots while not understanding the mechanics of sex and relationships themselves. Maybe I get lucky and we introduce a group of older pilots down the line but I doubt it. Maybe this will turn into a 26 episode analogy of the pressures a society that is facing a birth decline puts on it's members to not only perform sexually, but do so for the benefit of the state whether they like their partner or not. Maybe we get a gay relationship and maybe we don't.

But if people are willing to swallow the presentation and premise of the show so far, I don't know why not having a clear and obvious gay pairing up to this point makes the show any better or worse.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

if I ever use that many quotation marks concentrated in a post please just ban me and remind me to kms tia

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
The bad anime comments thread is that way, so post that kind of content there, thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I Love Annie May posted:

The bad anime comments thread is that way, so post that kind of content there, thank you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"Its not bad when society forces you into heterosexual marriage and makes you have sex only for the betterment of the whole". Dis, where the hell are you having FRANXX talks with to find that crap?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they are posts from various ANN threads about Franxx, which were kinda fun to read until the impotently mad het posters started being genuinely lovely about gay people even existing in media

anyway, as a gay i don't really feel the current gay interpretations hold up and i'm not holding my breath for the show to deliver there. however the posts about how people should stop doing that itt have so far come across as patronizing and lovely and i think people should just shut the gently caress up rather than make them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really don't think the show would add anything by adding a homosexual couple, at least in and of itself. If it did something interesting with it, maybe. But otherwise it'd just feel like pandering.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah a show about sex and sexuality would be pandering by having the bare minimum representation of the spectrum of sexuality

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Xelkelvos posted:

I really don't think the show would add anything by adding a homosexual couple, at least in and of itself. If it did something interesting with it, maybe. But otherwise it'd just feel like pandering.

I completely disagree. When you have a show who's entire premise is "a creepy, paternalistic cult forcing youth into heterosexual couplings regardless of their personal preferences for the 'greater good' of their society" it feels only natural to ask 'well, what about the people who don't fit neatly into that?"

They don't have to have a homosexual pairing to make the show good or interesting, but it seems like an interesting direction to explore and I, for one, hope they do.

How is having a homosexual couple pandering? 02 is magical girlfriend who comes out of nowhere and changes Hiro's life for the better - that's a classic kind of wish fufillment for straight male Otaku. Is that pandering? (I am a straight man, fwiw, and I like 02.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not sure how the show could fail to do something interesting with a homosexual couple, considering how laser-focused the entire society is on heterosexual couples. Like, I guess they could introduce two new dudes who just stand in the background of some shots kissing and nobody ever comments or notices.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If this was a longer series I think it’d be an interesting avenue to explore. Not because “oh gay character we need to delve into this” but because it would be contradictory to the world environment we have see experienced so far in FranXX

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

If this was a longer series I think it’d be an interesting avenue to explore. Not because “oh gay character we need to delve into this” but because it would be contradictory to the world environment we have see experienced so far in FranXX

They have twenty more episodes to go.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They sure do

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We aren't even halfway through the first cour so there is plenty of time for the show to change, especially since we know basically gently caress all about how the setting actually works.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

dogsicle posted:

yeah a show about sex and sexuality would be pandering by having the bare minimum representation of the spectrum of sexuality

Heteronormativity means that homosexuality isn't even considered as a real thing, not that they know they're raising it and avoiding it. Every indication says the show considers "boink for love, not for Big Father" to be sufficiently inspiring on its own, if not actually radical.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my issue is more that it's incredibly insulting to act like the inclusion of gay characters would be pandering

the setting has plenty of room for these elements should the creators choose to explore them

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

You do realize I'm not saying this is a good thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm sorry friend. I was too hasty.

• Locked thread