Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

I have most of the tools? I've fixed everything in my pod. Can I fix the pods I keep finding? I got the little like, scooty sea thing that lets me move faster. I can scan the hell out of fish and I can build bases but I just don't know how? I guess I need more materials but this games' inventory system is a nightmare. I also have a knife I used to stab a harmless bug and felt bad about that.

early-mid game:
build repair tool, scanner, habitat builder, knife
explore shallows, gather enough mats to build a tube base with the habitat builder with it's own fabricator, radio, solar panels and lockers. Start storing all your mats in those lockers, it makes the game much easier.
scan everything you can, wrecks have unique objects to scan to build more stuff. Specifically you want beacons, scanner room, upgrade station, bioreactor, seaglide
go to waypoints of radio messages and explore them for PDAs new parts to scan and build
listen for crackling audio, that means there's a wreck nearby. Explore those for the same. Drop beacons on wrecks that you've explored or interesting things so you know not to bother or explore them later
Eventually you'll want to explore the aurora, when you do, bring the suit and a repair tool (laser cutter + propulsion cannon optional)
Basically just keep going to beacons and waypoints and you'll be at mid-end game before you know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bhodi posted:

Eventually you'll want to explore the aurora, when you do, bring the suit and a repair tool (laser cutter + propulsion cannon optional)

But go back later with the laser cutter if you don't bring one the first time...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Aurora is also just lousy with batteries in boxes between all the ration bars. "I've been too lazy to make more than one spare battery, I should-Oh I've got 10 spares now. nice."

Build like, three fire extinguishers before you go, also. Fire is very iffy still so sometimes you will put it out in one quick sweep, others you can spray an entire can and then it starts burning again. So the stray ones you can find on the ground can either end up redundant, or not enough on their own.

You can skirt past most fires just fine, but there are a few doors where that's a pain. And grabbing the extra modules in the prawn bay without putting out fires is easier when you already know where they are.

EDIT: Oh, right. Not explained anywhere in game. The Prawn suit tells you it needs TWENTY fragment scans :eyepop: when doing it via the broken arms scattered around. Unless of course, you scan the suits in the prawn bay. Then it's only four all found within 30 feet of eachother.

This is the only fragment unlock that pulls this kind of prank. And hiding that sort of detail behind a spoiler bar seems cruel.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 7, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah don't make batteries, just go and nick them all from the aurora.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Digirat posted:

You can enjoy the work someone has produced even while acknowledging that the person who made it is a bad person. I Hope This Helps

I don't have to make such a decision here, with what Leviathan sounds coming from the sand bank under me, and the creature sounds being a random "raurgh" and the sound is helping me map the environment around me absolutely none. Good sound design means I can track the movement of in-game entities just through sound.

The music is just personal preference.

I can't describe Subnautica's sound design as good even by stretching a lot.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't have to make such a decision here, with what Leviathan sounds coming from the sand bank under me, and the creature sounds being a random "raurgh" and the sound is helping me map the environment around me absolutely none. Good sound design means I can track the movement of in-game entities just through sound.

The music is just personal preference.

I can't describe Subnautica's sound design as good even by stretching a lot.

even the sounds themselves are really lame. leviathan aside some of the predators are literally just lion stock roars. i like the music personally but the actual fish sounds are abysmal and take me out of the game constantly.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i love the sounds personally, I found them very atmospheric, but the sound designer being a Nazi is bad and they should be fired. Sometimes bad people can create good works, you don’t have to endorse someone to enjoy their work and I am personally very happy that the Nazi got fired and now we can get more good sound design that does not put money in a racist’s pocket.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of Eco location via Sonar underwater, isn't sound underwater nearly directionless otherwise? It's not like you're playing a FPS game above ground where sound works normally and maybe that is the case here?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Outside of Eco location via Sonar underwater, isn't sound underwater nearly directionless otherwise? It's not like you're playing a FPS game above ground where sound works normally and maybe that is the case here?

No, it's not directionless at all. It's just less affected by bouncing off of things. I think what makes it tricky in a game like Subnautica is that audio engines (except OpenAL/HRTF) have a really tough time convincing you that a sound is happening above or below you. That's not as big of an issue for games without full 3D movement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EdEddnEddy posted:

No.

The way sound behaves in Subnautica is in no way realistic either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I went diving I did find it very hard to locate sounds underwater but it was a long time ago.

I don't really find it obstructive that you can't really position things in subnautica via sound because the game doesn't really call for it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's why I brought that up. As a Diver, you can hear sound, but directional is practically non existent. Sure I can hear you banging something metal on your airtank, and I can hear whales off in the distance, but there is no way to figure out which way its coming from.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've spent a lot of time diving.

You have two ears, same as in air. The difference in timing is how you locate a sound. So you locate it relative to the position of your head. It takes more than zero practice, but it's very much doable.

Something the size of a Leviathan would be easy to keep track of by sound after locating it once with your eyes, and Sandsharks wouldn't be a problem either. The only animal threat that could actually get close without making enough sound to hear until it's too late is the biter.

Sound design isn't just "make the sounds sound appropriately creepy". Though, given it's underwater, Subnautica doesn't even manage that.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like you can roughly determine a reaper's whereabouts through sound. It's my favorite part of the game's audio - putt-putting around in the seamoth and freezing up when I hear that roar. I am also happy that nazi man is out.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

HexiDave posted:

Yeah, I noticed that - the reason is because Subnautica does the hunt for resources iteratively for every single blueprint each time you fire up a crafting window, and again when you craft an item. I'm gonna see if I can find a way to cache the resource list all at once so it can quickly scan.

I feel this gem of game-logic discovery needs to be highlighted. This is not a mark of a competently implemented codebase. Then again, they do have that wonder of "copy your entire savegame's memory footprint onto your C drive" I guess I shouldn't be surprised it didn't get more delighted fanfare.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

got this game a while back but only just started playing it now since I've got a computer that can actually handle it; it owns so far even if I've only just scratched the surface. I explored the weird alien base on the island, which turned out to be a weird alien gun that blew up my friend, the Sunbeam. :smith:

couple questions - is there any way to change your game mode once you've started? I started on survival for... some reason, and the novelty of hunting down bladderfish vanished after the first hour.

Also, is there a recommended time/place to start building your first base? there's still enough stuff within ~600m of the escape pod for me to explore that it doesn't really feel worth it yet.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

dmboogie posted:

got this game a while back but only just started playing it now since I've got a computer that can actually handle it; it owns so far even if I've only just scratched the surface. I explored the weird alien base on the island, which turned out to be a weird alien gun that blew up my friend, the Sunbeam. :smith:

couple questions - is there any way to change your game mode once you've started? I started on survival for... some reason, and the novelty of hunting down bladderfish vanished after the first hour.

Also, is there a recommended time/place to start building your first base? there's still enough stuff within ~600m of the escape pod for me to explore that it doesn't really feel worth it yet.

build it somewhere really scary so you can run inside and cry. i have a base near the aurora, one in the shroomy caves, and one in the really deep area (lost river?)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

build it somewhere really scary so you can run inside and cry. i have a base near the aurora, one in the shroomy caves, and one in the really deep area (lost river?)

that deep area is FAR too scary

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

dmboogie posted:

Seconding this just because I want to swap to creative quick because I'm getting really, really tired of going out collecting my weight in metal, going back and having to repeat that.

Also, collecting bladder fish and others in non-survival mode is still hella fun because you just get to swim around holding a fish in your hand. Some of them make funny noises every time you swap to them in the inventory.

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Is there a limit to how big your base can be? Like, can I make a massive complex that spans the whole world if I go crazy enough?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Is there a limit to how big your base can be? Like, can I make a massive complex that spans the whole world if I go crazy enough?

As your base expands to include more tubes and rooms, the Hull Structural Integrity is decreased. I dunno about the whole world but you could probably build a real large complex in a couple places

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Seconding this just because I want to swap to creative quick because I'm getting really, really tired of going out collecting my weight in metal, going back and having to repeat that.

Also, collecting bladder fish and others in non-survival mode is still hella fun because you just get to swim around holding a fish in your hand. Some of them make funny noises every time you swap to them in the inventory.

F3, F8 to enable mouse, check the box for the console.

item <item name> #

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm not sure if it's possible to change game modes, but I think you can use console commands to cheat in water and such. Honestly though, food and water becomes way less of a concern once you have some renewable edible plants, and then they stop being a concern almost entirely once you get the stillsuit and heat knife.

Don't forget you can make bleach from salt + coral from the big coral tubes. It can be made into disinfected water which gives a lot more hydration.

Base location is mainly a matter of taste. Having finished the game, I would probably choose somewhere near a source of thermal energy, for easy power once you get a thermal generator. I would also look for somewhere near the border of two zones so that your scanner room covers two biomes.

Of course you can also just make multiple smaller bases if that's your thing, so don't worry too much about it. Deconstructing gives 100% of the materials back. A tube full of lockers in the safe shallows is a common early build to make inventory management easier, you can always ferry stuff to a new base later.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Your very first base, or at the very least "My first pile of hallways and rooms" should be within convenient reach of table coral at least. Since it's used for microchips, fabricators, and scan rooms (which are in turn, needing MORE MICROCHIPS)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m at like 10 hours in and still waiting for the Lifepod 2 signal so I can figure out where to build my base in the goon recommended fashion.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I’m at like 10 hours in and still waiting for the Lifepod 2 signal so I can figure out where to build my base in the goon recommended fashion.
Unless they shuffled things around. Have you tried building a thermal plant, or entering the DEEP grand reef? Otherwise you will be waiting forever for that particular signal.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can change the game mode in the console (I did to regain my progress after I had to reinstall to get rid of a game-breaking bug), but if I understand how it works correctly it will revert to the mode the save file started as next time you load the game.

The command nosurvival will turn off your food and water meters. You can also use the nocost and noenergy commands to just build whatever.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dmboogie posted:

I'm still fairly early on, but I've been putting up mini-bases (like one corridor with a solar panel, hatch and a locker) within site of the escape pod for convenience. Especially in deeper areas, it's nice to be able to pop out of one with a full oxygen tank right on the seabed when I'm trying to find frigging sandstone deposits so I can build stuff.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 7, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Well that was a productive session. Now I have a small base (it took me embarrassingly long to figure out how to add a hatch to get into my base) and now I need to find a diamond so I can make a cutter to make more stuff. Progress! Turns out I couldn't make rooms not because of materials but because I had to find one in a hell cave full of horrible snake monsters and scan that first.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
"You can't hold the charge on the Stasis Rifle and wait for a perfect shot", a one act play

:krakken::smithicide:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
at first I was mystified why all the deserted bases had obervatories (they might even be the reason the base failed!)

but then I built one and it makes sense: you get some relaxing music whenever you enter one, good for washing away the tension of the rest of this horror game

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have played through this game several times, but this is the first time I have ever built the scanner room (partly because it didn't work for the longest time). Wow I don't know how i ever lived without it, it makes finding resources so much easier.
Though I found it a little annoying that I could deconstruct it when it had modules installed and they just disappeared, though that is mostly my own fault.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oasx posted:

I have played through this game several times, but this is the first time I have ever built the scanner room (partly because it didn't work for the longest time). Wow I don't know how i ever lived without it, it makes finding resources so much easier.
Though I found it a little annoying that I could deconstruct it when it had modules installed and they just disappeared, though that is mostly my own fault.

Yeah the scanner room went from 'why would I ever build this' to 'this is exactly what the game needed'. Even the camera drones are kinda useful as ghetto beacons.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finally managed to build the Cyclops. It's not as fun to pilot as the Seamoth, but it's still hella cool to travel the seas in my mobile base.

Still can't find Magnetite though. :v:

I should probably ask where to find the Power Cell charger since I've only found half of it, and it would be really useful to have right about now. I mean, worst case, I dock the Seamoth in the Moonpool and charge the spent cells one-by-one, which sounds awful. Leaving the Moth in the sun is also an option, but again, why?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dmboogie posted:

Even in survival, you shouldn't be spending more than an hour collecting bladderfish.

Heck, you should only be spending 10 minutes.

Salt and tube coral is a much more effective means of making water.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Still can't find Magnetite though. :v:
Jelly shroom caves, they're all over the place down there. And super hard to find anywhere else outside of some endgame areas, so just fill your inventory with em while you're there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GlyphGryph posted:

Even in survival, you shouldn't be spending more than an hour collecting bladderfish.

Heck, you should only be spending 10 minutes.

Salt and tube coral is a much more effective means of making water.

You can make water out of fish, or out of salt and coral in a second using a fabricator and a small amount of power. But extracting water out of, well, water, for that you need a gigantic machine, a shitload of power, and it also takes half an hour. Oh subnautica, you so crazy.

Also today I discovered you need to actually plant the creepvine clusters to grow creepvine that will have clusters. Merely planting the creepvine won't do. That makes sense.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

There's nothing special about building near lifepod 2. It's near lost river and has lots of quartz but won't save you much time or hassle vs. most other places.

The actual spot the lifepod 2 guy talked about was a ridge between a mushroom forest and the underwater islands. You end up trading access to giant coral tubes and good wreck density for proximity to a lost river entrance (1 of 4) and deep shrooms + blood oil which are easily farmed in a planter. It's not a bad place at all, but like anywhere else you're making trade offs.

Waiting for the signal to go there delays a lot of useful tech that requires a base to build. You're good just picking a biome you like that isn't right next to the Aurora and building there.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

uXs posted:

You can make water out of fish, or out of salt and coral in a second using a fabricator and a small amount of power. But extracting water out of, well, water, for that you need a gigantic machine, a shitload of power, and it also takes half an hour. Oh subnautica, you so crazy.

Also today I discovered you need to actually plant the creepvine clusters to grow creepvine that will have clusters. Merely planting the creepvine won't do. That makes sense.

Yeah my first planting bed i used a cutting for it and welp, all i got was more cuttings then i was like ohh, seed, ok.

I've also got some beds setup that have a single piece of flora of whatever stuff i find in the safe shallows. Same with any dry land life

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

But why? My favourite place is near the geyser on the border of safe shallows - it's basically next to red grass and creep wine biomes so you have access to all basic resources without going far. Thermal plants will get infinite energy later, plentiful fish to shove in bioreactor, and it's shallow enough to get part of your base above water and stick solar panels on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, the edge of the safe shallows where the kelp, red kelp, red grass, mushroom zone, mushroom cave are all like within 200m is the best place to start your first base. You'll be some ways away from the mountain island but everything else is close and abundant till you reach the point where you need to start delving deeper.

You dont even need thermal reactors. Solar provides with enough energy for most things and a bioreactor gives you a buffer for when you start adding things that consume more energy.