Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think they are balanced just fine. an indestructible 20/20 token isn't overpowered because it is multiplayer, and any number of blue players may have a bounce spell, or a white player with an exile spell. So maybe the 20/20 guy tries to kill a blue or white player, or makes some informal alliance with them.

Those cards were all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's fine for a friend group

Ah yes, as opposed to all those competitve MP games

But yeah I really like the idea behind these cards. It's funny because we brushed up against the idea of hidden objective cards in IRC last night before you posted, but we didn't really go that deep into it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

Ah yes, as opposed to all those competitve MP games

But yeah I really like the idea behind these cards. It's funny because we brushed up against the idea of hidden objective cards in IRC last night before you posted, but we didn't really go that deep into it.

As opposed to pickup games, ya doof

I'm glad you like the idea, at least

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The idea for this is not mine: someone mentioned this in the Commander thread. The variant is called Kingdoms, which was adapted from a stand-alone game called Bang. I tweaked the rules a bit and made up cards.

At the start of the game (4-6 players), one player is chosen at random to be the King. All other players are dealt a Role card at random, which they keep face down and may not reveal to other players. When a win condition is met, the winning player(s) reveal their role to win the game. The role deck should be one Assassin, one Knight, three Bandits.

It is recommended that the game have a prize which can be split, to give the Bandits an incentive to fight each other.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Alright, given the awkward server loss, you have a further 24 hours to get your final plans in. That is to say deadline extended to 12:00AM Friday 2nd

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't think I have any ideas better than my first one.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I like what's been posted but its a tough contest no doubt. I couldn't think of anything worthy to contribute :(

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
:siren:THE CONTEST IS NOW OVER:siren:

It's late here, so expect a winner tomorrow.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Sorry, Sorry. Today was a very productive day, but I wasn't near a computer, so I forgot to hand out a winner.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Close! There's the seeds of a great idea lying here, just not quite fully realised. I think one way to make this more cutthroat and end games quicker could have been to make it cost something to benefit. Something like 'At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove any number of leap counters from this permanent, then lose 2 life for each counter removed this way. Then draw a card for each leap counter on this permanant. At the beginning of the next end step, lose X life for every card drawn this turn, where X is the number of permanents with Leap '

This would be way too destructive with multiple leap permanents, but the idea of trying to draw your answers and kill someone before succumbing interests me.

Alternate wincons, baby! I'm surprised more people didn't go with this. It's not a perfect hack for Magic, but it's an interesting varient I'd try with my pals at least once.

WINNER

TheChirurgeon posted:

GRAND CONSPIRACIES

Making your intentions known from the beginning is a good way to get your teeth kicked in in regular commander. But the fact that everyone has a goal, that it's open and that it's not a full 'I win' is what put this over for me. If commander is about getting your buds and having a fun game together I can already see the story about the guy who finally fought through three people to get his 20/20 annihilator 4, and then had it stolen and used to kill him. And that's commander in a nutshell.

:siren:Congrats to TheChirurgeon:siren:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Sweet, thanks!

I'm running around doing prep today for a Super Bowl party, so I'll work on a post this evening.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren:OPPOSING FORCES:siren:

The history of Magic, particularly its early days, is filled with cards whose effects are mirrored darkly or lightly in one of the card's opposing colors. Some of these were really simple:

But some were a little more interesting (but only slightly), and reflected differences in the color pie:

They also did a few in Planar Chaos, but those were really just planeshifted cards, so whatever. R&D calls these "Reflections" and these days they appear much less often, but I maintain that this is probably a HUGE MISTAKE and is TOTALLY LAME! And either way, I THINK WE CAN DO BETTER.

So your challenge is: Pick an Existing card and make a mirrored pair for it in one of its enemy colors

What I'm looking for: I want cards that do more than just white knight/black knight the same card in an opposing color. I want a card that feels like the dark/twisted mirror of the card you chose, but reflects the new color, that color's differences in philosophy, and the differences in the color pie.

Submissions are due by midnight on Sunday, February 11th

Godspeed!

e: Also, post the card you're mirroring somewhere in the post using the spoiler tags so we can guess at what you picked and test our useless encycopedic knowledge of magic cards

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 3, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's start with a big one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The card images you posted gave me some severe nostalgia, and I remembered when I was in junior high. At the time I rolled with a red/artifact deck which was terribly inefficient, but darn it, it had all my favourite cards in it. My most favourite was an artifact card, and I though: what is the enemy colour of colorless cards? Honestly I have no idea, but I gave it a try.

And the card that inspired it: https://i.imgur.com/exGdugC.png

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

As written, the two cards you can cast are still in your library, hidden. It'll get real weird if your library order changes (scry, shuffling, etc).

Maybe exile them?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I'm always looking for interesting things to do with Sliver. Should the buff be bigger? 5 colorless is a big ask for a deck that needs lots and lots of colored mana to get slivers out with.

Based off of:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
OP updated!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

You get three guesses regarding which card inspired these, and the first two don't count. (It's this of course.)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Boons

:allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I knew about Healing Salve, but I had no idea there was a whole cycle that included it (and Lightning Bolt). Consider me educated.

(My card is still different :colbert: It's worse, but still different.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mikl posted:

I knew about Healing Salve, but I had no idea there was a whole cycle that included it (and Lightning Bolt). Consider me educated.

:rolleyes:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

No worries. I like Blue Thunder quite a bit, though!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A red take on a ridiculously powerful card.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lone Goat posted:

As written, the two cards you can cast are still in your library, hidden. It'll get real weird if your library order changes (scry, shuffling, etc).

Maybe exile them?

You're right.

Gifts Ungiven

Also :

Force of Will

Edit because I did not read the instructions (though I think my mirrors were pretty transparent).

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 6, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Went ahead and make a reflection of my invitational card.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spirit of the Night

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Dusting off my account because I had good ideas for the theme

Phyrexian Obliterator

Necropotence

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Might be slightly more useful than its counterpart.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I think you can notice the very similar process I had when I did the other card for this theme:

Elite Inquisitor

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Stigma Lasher

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Lack of Bear posted:

Stigma Lasher

Probably want to make that combat damage our it's pretty easy to give yourself an uninteractable platinum angel.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Not Alex posted:

Probably want to make that combat damage our it's pretty easy to give yourself an uninteractable platinum Emperion.

Close but not quite.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, that one. Seems bad.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Not Alex posted:

Yep, that one. Seems bad.

It makes your opponent immune, not you.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

balance

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

THIS i like

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

It makes your opponent immune, not you.

If you put Arcane Teachings or Hermetic Study or Viridian Longbow or anything else that lets it ping things you can shoot yourself and be immune to life loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lone Goat posted:

If you put Arcane Teachings or Hermetic Study or Viridian Longbow or anything else that lets it ping things you can shoot yourself and be immune to life loss.

Which is nifty.