Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

New JJ trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s looks like they're changing up Jessica's origin a tiny bit.

It doesn’t look like this will incorporate a procedural element any more than S1 did, unfortunately, but at least it probably won’t have a plot revolving almost entirely around a single antagonist, which was S1’s biggest mistake.

Surprised they still haven’t announced casting details, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The mention in the trailer of JJ being brought back from death might tie back into AoS, even if they avoid spelling out the connection explicitly. The timeline for it is kind of wonky though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slashrat posted:

The mention in the trailer of JJ being brought back from death might tie back into AoS, even if they avoid spelling out the connection explicitly. The timeline for it is kind of wonky though.

Tahiti will always be a magical place, irregardless of timeline

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

That's consistently been the speculation, but I don't think there's been any actual evidence one way or the other.

Again, JJ in the comics doesn't have any villains of her own, she just shares threats with Daredevil and Luke Cage, so the door's wide open or she might be dealing with someone new.

On the other hand, looks like we'll be seeing Hellcat proper.

Except rather than being from a magic formula, Black Panther's superhuman powers are a mix of magic and high tech - the magic in the movie adaptation looks to be from the Soul Stone. He's the king of a secretive, sci-fi tech African nation whose kings can commune with a magical panther spirit who bestows its powers upon this nation's kings. With the death of his father, the new guy has inherited the mantle and powers of the Black Panther, the sacred protector of his kingdom and people.

So, no heart-shaped herb?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Comics have tended to shy away from people getting their powers from super-drugs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Comics have tended to shy away from people getting their powers from super-drugs.

But that's how BP GOT his powers in the comics...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Halloween Jack posted:

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VylAHKVkg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Slashrat posted:

I doubt it. It seems more likely that they'll link Jessica to the same people who were experimenting on Luke and Killgrave. Didn't they already float that idea at the end of S1? And wasn't it actually "Roxxon" which popped up again in Iron Fist/Defenders and are the guys behind the upcoming Cloak and Dagger? Although I assume the latter will be just an easter egg as its not on Netflix.

I mean, I guess Roxxon could be experimenting on Kree too. But that just seems unnecessary and out of tone with the Defenders' shows.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

RareAcumen posted:

So since you guys actually seem to know Marvel- enough to say yeah, they had to do Ghost Rider this way, because otherwise it just solves every problem because it's so powerful- can anyone give me a quick synopsis on Black Panther? Far as I know, he's a better Captain America and his armor is the goddamn poo poo.

Black Panther is a direct 1:1 comparison to being the king of Atlantis. Wakanda is literally the Black Atlantis.

So anything you can imagine, from super strength, to laser swords, to magical super armor, to having the ability to takeover the world, to being in hiding for five thousand years.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
has any MCU property referenced anything that happens on AoS? I think that show mostly exists as some sort of tax shelter or money laundering scheme

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

has any MCU property referenced anything that happens on AoS? I think that show mostly exists as some sort of tax shelter or money laundering scheme

The only one I know of is that Daredevil used the same orphanage Daisy was in for Matt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the other ABC shows did but that's just "everyone in their own lane."

Agents of SHIELD seems like the only one that really references outside "their own lane" and that's either just to handwave when the movies change the status quo of "SHIELD" or oblique references because the show was basically designed to be advertisement for the movies and they've gotten kind of cheeky.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Soothing Vapors posted:

Daredevil had some newspapers on a wall that mentioned Cyberdyne or that whatever that company was that made Deathlok.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Aphrodite posted:

The only one I know of is that Daredevil used the same orphanage Daisy was in for Matt.

Don't tell Kevin Feige or he'll shut down Netflix

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Daredevil had some newspapers on a wall that mentioned Cyberdyne or that whatever that company was that made Deathlok.

Yeah but that's just a Marvel canon reference. Deathlok is made by Cybertek in the comics too.

As far as I can tell, Saint Agnes is not an established name or anything in the comics so that was intentional (or an extremely unlikely coincidence.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Except rather than being from a magic formula, Black Panther's superhuman powers are a mix of magic and high tech - the magic in the movie adaptation looks to be from the Soul Stone. He's the king of a secretive, sci-fi tech African nation whose kings can commune with a magical panther spirit who bestows its powers upon this nation's kings. With the death of his father, the new guy has inherited the mantle and powers of the Black Panther, the sacred protector of his kingdom and people.

Yeah, all I know about BP is that he's king of a secret nation that has like, all the Vibranium ever and his suit's made of it and he's a good hand-to-hand fighter. The panther spirit stuff is all new to me but I thought he just had the suit and claws and that was it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought Black Widow had been given something like that too. But yeah, aside from Bane and AOS Calvin Zabo, I can't really think of anyone who uses magic super steroids to get all tough and stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, all I know about BP is that he's king of a secret nation that has like, all the Vibranium ever and his suit's made of it and he's a good hand-to-hand fighter. The panther spirit stuff is all new to me but I thought he just had the suit and claws and that was it.

He has magical powers on top of the suit - he can usually track people by their souls, talk with animals, speak with the dead, things like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

He has magical powers on top of the suit - he can usually track people by their souls, talk with animals, speak with the dead, things like that.

News to me! I always assumed he was just a guy in great shape in a really good suit. Which is why I compared him to Captain America, since I would describe him as guy in great shape since I don't really think he's got any really amazing super powers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RareAcumen posted:

I thought Black Widow had been given something like that too. But yeah, aside from Bane and AOS Calvin Zabo, I can't really think of anyone who uses magic super steroids to get all tough and stuff.

I can actual remember a Thing solo story where a dude called The Power Broker who would sell super steroids to people for a super powered wrestling/robbing scheme that produced a bunch of D-list heroes and villains like Screaming Mimi (aka Songbird), Demolition Man (aka the guy who looks exactly like Wolverine for some reason), and Sharon Ventura (aka Ms Marvel, but not that one or the other one or the other one). Ventura actually had a really messed up story for the time where she was sexually abused and raped while undergoing the treatments and being traumatized and basically falling in love with the Thing because he's "not a man" and getting turned into a She-Thing and loving it because she no longer felt like a vulnerable "hot" woman.

There's also obviously Nuke who has already been in the Jessica Jones series. And a lot of one time usage characters like Cap who gained their powers from one time "steroid" treatments.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 8, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There are quite a lot of Golden Age heroes who got generic "improved physique" from a wonder-drug. Blue Beetle, Hourman, and the Destroyer come to mind.

The Power Broker is how US Agent got his powers.

In that same era, Cap was poisoned by a new street drug the Red Skull invented, so he had to get all his blood replaced and lost his Super Soldier Serum. This kicked off quite a tussle in the letters column. They eventually said his body was naturally producing the SSS again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember having a random comic where a pre-USAgent Cap brutally murders all his other steroid sidekicks. It was really weird being a kid unfamiliar with why Cap was murdering people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

News to me! I always assumed he was just a guy in great shape in a really good suit. Which is why I compared him to Captain America, since I would describe him as guy in great shape since I don't really think he's got any really amazing super powers.

Cap's primary superpower is being A Good Guy And A Great Leader.

Oddly, if Jessica Jones in the television series had the full extent of her powers from the comics she'd be one of the most powerful heroes in the MCU.

And I'll be very interested to see if Trish picks up her tricks from the comics - she talks about being JJ's sidekick in the JJS2 trailer. For those unaware, Trish in the comics is better known as Hellcat, a superbly trained martial artist with claw-gloves and, depending on which version you're talking about, either mild psychic powers or some ability with magic.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cythereal posted:

It'll be interesting to see how far they go with this. Doctor Strange proved you can go all-in with a mystical hero and get away with it now, but I have to figure Hollywood is still fairly gun-shy about combining magic with superheroes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It'll be interesting to see how far they go with this. Doctor Strange proved you can go all-in with a mystical hero and get away with it now, but I have to figure Hollywood is still fairly gun-shy about combining magic with superheroes.

Well, we know already that Wakanda in the MCU is the home of the Soul Gem, so Panther's supernatural abilities will probably be ascribed to that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Surprised they still haven’t announced casting details, though.

Uh, not quite. They've not given away who most of the new actors are playing, but we know that Janet McTeer and David Tennant are recurring this season, and Leah Gibson and J.R. Ramirez are going to be new regulars.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

RareAcumen posted:

It's not brought up terribly often but she was given a serum that has kept her youthful. She's older than she looks. I have no idea if this detail was kept in the MCU though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Billzasilver posted:

Black Panther is a direct 1:1 comparison to being the king of Atlantis. Wakanda is literally the Black Atlantis.

Otherwise known as Atlanta...

(Where most of this movie was filmed!)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

That and Creel shows up in AOS, while he is mentioned in DD

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I can actual remember a Thing solo story where a dude called The Power Broker who would sell super steroids to people for a super powered wrestling/robbing scheme that produced a bunch of D-list heroes and villains like Screaming Mimi (aka Songbird), Demolition Man (aka the guy who looks exactly like Wolverine for some reason), and Sharon Ventura (aka Ms Marvel, but not that one or the other one or the other one). Ventura actually had a really messed up story for the time where she was sexually abused and raped while undergoing the treatments and being traumatized and basically falling in love with the Thing because he's "not a man" and getting turned into a She-Thing and loving it because she no longer felt like a vulnerable "hot" woman.

There's also obviously Nuke who has already been in the Jessica Jones series. And a lot of one time usage characters like Cap who gained their powers from one time "steroid" treatments.

I personally didn't get into JJ so I totally forgot about Nuke.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Daler Mehndi posted:

It's not brought up terribly often but she was given a serum that has kept her youthful. She's older than she looks. I have no idea if this detail was kept in the MCU though.

Oh right I did wonder why they call her a former KGB agent despite Scarlet Johanson being obviously way too young to be one. I assumed either some kind of spy kids type scenario, or the writers just didn’t know the KGB stopped being a thing in 1991.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

That and Creel shows up in AOS, while he is mentioned in DD

The biker gang Foggy goes to in season 2 was first seen in season 1 of AOS.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Daler Mehndi posted:

Black Widow being old or not isn't really brought up because they've been loathe to really spend useful time covering her backstory in a way that isn't flashbacks that are kind of vague, borderline non-sequitur references to old missions on the other side where Hawkeye tried to stop her, and that whole awkward "I'm infertile due to my training and therefore I am some kind of monster" thing from Civil War. They seem really, really opposed to giving her a stand alone movie to explore anything worthwhile with, or at least making an exploration of her character and backstory a focus of another movie to any extent. Just those little rarely useful snippets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dogs of Hell is definitely another reference then, because they don't exist in the comics. Jack Murdock did fight Creel in some Daredevil backstory issues though, so that could go either way.

Widow's birth date is visible on some files in Avengers apparently, and they just used Johansson's. But I don't think props should be taken as canon or anything. The MCU hasn't given any hints she's anything but a normal human, except for that KGB mention and for all we know on the MCU Earth maybe they kept operating even longer in secret or something. I assume the Widow solo movie will include that stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Black Widow can’t carry a whole film on her own, not because ScarJondoesnt have the range, but because Black Widow doesnt have the range.

She’s supposed to be calm and emotionless and reserved, that wouldn’t fit in the MCU unless they stuck her with Hawkeye or some other wise-cracking sidekick, and besides then she runs into the issue of “what could she accomplish on her own as a very fast human that any other Avenger couldn’t do in LITERALLY an hour” and beyond that they’d have to scale her storyline back from “inter-dimensional alien apocalypse” to “something she could handle alone”

How do you think Black Falcon feels/War Machine feels about being black heroes in the MCU but Black Panther is basically being sold as the first Black Super Hero of the generation. Is it because they just have armor and BP has actual powers? Or is because BP is like a real hero in his own whereas War Machine and Falcon need a team to really shine.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bust Rodd posted:

She’s supposed to be calm and emotionless and reserved, that wouldn’t fit in the MCU unless they stuck her with Hawkeye or some other wise-cracking sidekick, and besides then she runs into the issue of “what could she accomplish on her own as a very fast human that any other Avenger couldn’t do in LITERALLY an hour” and beyond that they’d have to scale her storyline back from “inter-dimensional alien apocalypse” to “something she could handle alone”

Waid/Samnee Black Widow is the perfect blueprint for a solo movie. The Red Room gets restarted and she feels obligated to shut it down on her own, easy-peasey.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Waid/Samnee Black Widow is the perfect blueprint for a solo movie. The Red Room gets restarted and she feels obligated to shut it down on her own, easy-peasey.

Yeah, it would definitely have to be a Bond or Mission Impossible style movie. Couple that with insane tech from Stark, that could work very well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like that movie would benefit a ton from the Fury Road treatment: I.e. all the male characters are in the background, women have all the powerful, speaking roles, zero romance, Bechdel//Sexy Lamp tests in check.

I am not one of those people who needs every strong woman to be a feminist critique. I think Black Widow and the storyline you just offered would benefit immensely from that style however.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, Fury Road has romance and prominent male characters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Just put Black Widow with Falcon. She can play it straight to his wisecracks, the stunts get crazier when one person can fly, they're both street-level heroes, and the hand-wringing about the decline in roles for white males will be audible as far away as Jupiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I brought up Black Widow maybe also having been given some kind of serum like Captain America, I just meant the character in general. Not specifically in the whole movie connection.

Anyway, funnily enough turns out this was uploaded yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD9WCpNFpnY

Say what you will about the concept, they do at least give a decent synopsis of a character. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Black Panther doesn't use all of those tools all the time.