Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Amethyst posted:

who the hell actually wants a homepod

probably the same crowd who buys those wireless earbuds and tries to convince themselves they are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

akadajet posted:

probably the same crowd who buys those wireless earbuds and tries to convince themselves they are good

I don't want a HomePod

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Amethyst posted:

who the hell actually wants a homepod

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Not eligible to cancel or return

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
no take backs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its because its preparing to ship. you cant return something you havent got yet

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

:rolleyes:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

echinopsis posted:

phosphor has an inherent fade out so the flicker is not noticeable unlike leds which don’t fade out but just immediately stop making photons

oleds as installed in screens do have a fade out due to the drive circuit. there is a small storage capacitor integrated with gate of the drive transistor at each pixel in order to keep it conducting at the set current level through the refresh cycle. it is possible that with previous screens there was something about that structure which made it more able to smooth out a 240Hz PWM signal in a way that was less noticeable.

someone would really need to hook up an extremely good oscilloscope to the drive circuit and a photosensor above a particular pixel to know for sure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
it looks like johnny fireball did get his homepod preview unit after all

john gruber posted:

The power cord is perhaps the nicest power cord I’ve ever seen for any product. The cable is covered with a nice fabric, and it’s very supple. It coils nicely if you’re placing HomePod close to an outlet.
yeah he hosed it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm the link that says "Why?"

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I preordered a HomePod too but already wish it had one input or knew what was up with AirPlay 2.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my phone already has Siri and a bad speaker

why does anyone want this garbage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

where's the decent Mac mini, tim

just put a new quad core in the 2012 and sell it you clown

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my phone already has Siri and a bad speaker

why does anyone want this garbage

uhh didn’t you read the tech specs

multiple tweeters and acoustic modeling

ufarn
May 30, 2009
like many apple product, the homepod is a nice thing to have if you have infinity money and don't see the fuss over buying a new iphone every year

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ufarn posted:

like many apple product, the homepod is a nice thing to have if you have infinity money and don't see the fuss over buying a new iphone every year

hmm. it’s an unnecessary product in a somehow popular category of products, but at least Apple is more trustworthy than google or amazon. also the android thread in dyp churns phones faster than a year

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 7, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
the positive reviews say it’s a really good speaker for the money, the negative are people harping on it for not being able to install skills that make Siri sound like it’s having an orgasm every time bitcoin goes up

i want to meet the person who orders an uber or lyft using voice commands on an echo because I want to know what their life is like

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ripoff posted:

i want to meet the person who orders an uber or lyft using voice commands on an echo because I want to know what their life is like
thing is if you just want spotify or airplay you can get actual stereo equipment that sounds vastly better, these are targeted at some market that apparently exists but I've never seen of people with a burning desire to yell at electronics and I swear I'll never understand it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

thing is if you just want spotify or airplay you can get actual stereo equipment that sounds vastly better, these are targeted at some market that apparently exists but I've never seen of people with a burning desire to yell at electronics and I swear I'll never understand it
i'm not sure why "sounds good, doesn't take up a ton of space" is difficult to understand as a thing people might want. stereos are nice, and i certainly wouldn't replace my living room system for one of these, but for something to play music with good sound while banging your mom, it seems like a good product

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had a kinect. shouting at netflix gets old fast but i'd still do it when i cba to find the remote

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

qirex posted:

i’m considering one but it’s because I enjoy cooking and can see yelling at the speaker in the kitchen while you’re covered in steak blood or fish guts or whatever

that said yeah someone who knows their poo poo can get a better speaker setup for less money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

even if it sounds good there's existing solutions that are cheaper and already work with every music service and you can even yell at them if you want

not supporting spotify just feels like those first couple ipods that didn't work with windows but I guess making it better is about software and licensing deals instead of hardware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I just want a voice assistant that both knows my local language and supports third party plugins, how hard can that be

Siri might be kinda dumb but it's the only one that understands norwegian

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/07/apple-on-engineer-hiring-spree-with-steady-expansion-since-2016

and not a single one is working on a new mini

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

even if it sounds good there's existing solutions that are cheaper and already work with every music service and you can even yell at them if you want

not supporting spotify just feels like those first couple ipods that didn't work with windows but I guess making it better is about software and licensing deals instead of hardware

it doesn't natively support spotify for the same reason the iOS siri API doesn't support music apps - streaming music services are pretty much interchangeable and the only way apple can give apple music any sort of edge is by making the other services more annoying to use.

also apple needs to loving fix this imessages arriving out of order poo poo. it is just absurd.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

we're probably going to see a $400 belkin receiver that takes line and phono inputs and streams them to airplay, huh?

wireless dongles. tim's done it again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yippee cahier posted:

we're probably going to see a $400 belkin receiver that takes line and phono inputs and streams them to airplay, huh?

wireless dongles. tim's done it again
There's stuff like this for sonos or play-fi but iirc airplay only allows a computer/ios device as a source

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple music anroid experience: failed apple id billing credential update, promptly crashed afterwards (without closing the app :psyduck:)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Apple Music is garbage even on macOS, can't imagine what trash ux they must have on android

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
this is what my touch bar looks like with a pinned tab and two normal tabs open in safari

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Maximum Leader posted:

Apple Music is garbage even on macOS, can't imagine what trash ux they must have on android

quote your good interfaces that aren't winamp2

pram
Jun 10, 2001
foobar 2k -said in a very fat voice

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i only use my bespoke version of amarok 1.4 to listen to music

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
musicmatch jukebox 5.1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Athletic Footjob posted:

musicmatch jukebox

nice version ninja edit.

i used musicmatch quite a bit. i remember being sad when i read that a dev had died while swimming or something in the about menu. rip musicmatch dev

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hello Spaceman posted:

quote your good interfaces that aren't winamp2

i like Spotify , and will get to enjoy the current interface probably a day or two before it’s changed again

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

pram posted:

foobar 2k -said in a very fat voice

accurate

(the voice not the choice)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

tim's crack security and anti-leaking team notches another big win https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a34g9j/iphone-source-code-iboot-ios-leak

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

All this talk of Apple's speaker being an "audiophile" product really grinds my gears. I mean audiophiles are generally tedious wankers but anyone, ANYONE who has even the vaguest appreciation of good sounding music knows you aint gonna get it out of a single source speaker - no matter how much bullshit BOSE style spin Tim wants to put on it. If you want something Apple branded and expensive to shout at while cooking then go for it - but please spare me the Hifi quackery

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just bought one cuz gently caress you that's why