Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

I keep on saying it but Rimworld is not a survival simulator, it's a reality TV show in the space future, which is why all the colonists are the most super special snowflakes selected specifically for their social maladjustment.

Why do you think they've been shipped off to the Rim? It's literally the people that no one wants in civilized society.

It's also why so many of them become suicidally violent bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do you think they've been shipped off to the Rim? It's literally the people that no one wants in civilized society.

It's also why so many of them become suicidally violent bandits.

They should make some of the backgrounds be things like "telephone sanitizer" "advertising exec" or "hairdresser" and have them be these guys

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrincham

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could anyone post their opening camp. Like what you have in the first season. Or describe what your first priorities are. Trying to get back in the game.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I always figured the rim worlds are just asylum planets. When your crewmate starts calling himself Muffalo and looking at you hungrily, just throw him in an escape pod and shoot him off to the nearest technically habitable rock.

A Moose posted:

They should make some of the backgrounds be things like "telephone sanitizer" "advertising exec" or "hairdresser" and have them be these guys

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrincham
Also this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

Could anyone post their opening camp. Like what you have in the first season. Or describe what your first priorities are. Trying to get back in the game.

i posted this a while back and people seemed to find it helpful:

1. pick a spot that is hopefully defensible at least on one side
2. lay out a roofed storage zone that can accommodate everything (6*6 is usually good, with a separate zone for raw materials, chunks and stone blocks since they don't need to be roofed)
3. set all pawns to do nothing but priority 1 haul until they can get the food and meds into the shade
4. build pawns+1 number of beds
5. plant a 10*10 potato field ASAP
6. dig out and power an 11*11 fridge
7. set up a kitchen connected to the fridge
8. set up a dining room/rec room connected to the kitchen (two entrances, one only from the kitchen, and a zone for Just Meals ensures your filthy pawns don't track in mud to the whole fridge)
9. get pawns individual bedrooms
10. dig out and fit a crafting/research room

...all the while working on a 2x wide stone border wall

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How big a building for step 4 ? I seem to be falling behind at that stage .

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

How big a building for step 4 ? I seem to be falling behind at that stage .

i let 'em sleep outside for a while, the fridge is more important than individual bedrooms, but 7*7 is pretty standard for the 'roomy' bonus if you're giving them a barracks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh Beds outside ? I never thought of that .

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I just appropriate one of the local abandoned buildings for early game shelter/storage. It's not the ~*~optimal strategy~*~ but we can worry about civic planning after we've got sustainable food and are ready to face the winter.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kalos posted:

I just appropriate one of the local abandoned buildings for early game shelter/storage. It's not the ~*~optimal strategy~*~ but we can worry about civic planning after we've got sustainable food and are ready to face the winter.

Meanwhile.....geothermal is just across the map. Honestly its the better strat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Oh Beds outside ? I never thought of that .

I just use sleeping spots until I've built bedrooms.

Here's my priorities list:

Planning (all done paused) - Use the "plan" order to draw stuff on the map for future reference
-Find a somewhat defensible position, hopefully close to at least one geothermal vent
-Plan out a food storage area (fridge/freezer), a kitchen/dining room (don't have to be the same room), a growing area, a storage area, bedrooms, a hospital, and a prison
-Plan for any possible expansions (more people) or other rooms you may have in mind (party room, hydroponics, crafting room, etc)
-Plan future defenses. However you plan on defending your base, make sure the space is accounted for.
-Look again and decide if you're happy with how much space you have for any more expanding you may need to do. If not, go back to the first step.
-Set your colonists' priorities. Ultimately how you choose to do this is up to you, but I tend to go for a very specialized setup even from the start. My best people at a given task will have it as a much higher priority than people who aren't that good at it. Others will help out if there's other stuff to do this way but recent updates have made it very beneficial for you to keep people who are bad at things from doing those things.

Building! This is similar to boar guy
-Build a temporary barracks, a roofed, walled, area (floors optional) with sleeping spots. When you hover over a tile it should classify itself as "inside." You can build beds if you want to as well but I usually wait for bedrooms to do that.
-Start making your food storage area and kitchen. If you're digging either of these out of stone, you can just start by only digging out as much space as needed for now and finish the rest later (this is where the planning comes in). If you're building it out of wood then that's not really necessary, though smaller areas are easier on your power consumption to keep the area cold.
-Something I tend to do with my food storage is to have a separate storage area just by the entrance that's only for meals, at a higher priority than the general storage in the rest of it. This keeps people from trudging through all the food just to get that one fine meal that's in the back corner for some reason.
-Plant your food. I've also been planting a bamboo patch lately for a fast growing wood source but I don't know if bamboo is from a mod or not.
-Get bedrooms up. After a few days your pawns are gonna be getting pretty grouchy about sleeping in a barracks without a bed.
-Stabilize. Figure out what you feel is most important next. If you're specializing, maybe take one or two people off of construction and have them do other stuff (research, crafting, hauling, cleaning, etc) and have a single person working on your other rooms. Or if you're digging into a mountain then have fewer people mining so that others can be working on other stuff (laying floor, hauling out rubble, etc)

I can't really emphasize enough how much the planning phase helps me though. It might be kind of a pain at first because you just want to jump in and start playing but when I'm two years in and expanding my base for more people it's really cool when I don't have to convert other rooms or move a bunch of poo poo to new spots to accommodate it, or move my defenses to a ridiculously suboptimal placement.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first built / dugout structure is usually 7 x 14ish internal dimensions , one big common room for early crafting stations, barracks, some internal storage, etc. before getting dedicated rooms setup.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When do you get a prison going

There seems to be new room requirements for prisoner beds.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

A prison just has to be an enclosed room with somewhere for the prisoners to sleep (this can be a sleeping spot). I either use an extra bedroom or my initial barracks.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
As soon as I get anyone I want to recruit and can actually spare the food for. Probably just a tiny add on to the main structure or an already dug tunnel enclosed by doors, just bare sleeping spots on the floor. A 'real' prison is probably going to come after the freezer and colonist bedrooms.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

Honestly, Just find shelter then build around it our outgrow it. Normally I just look for that, after that I look for having most attack avenues covered and a geothermal spring. Mostly, just play the game like you would. I happen to love a place I can build out roads in all 8 directions from because I like trade.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

I usually hollow out a hill, plop a stone door at the front, and fill it with sleeping spots as soon as I've got basic necessities under control. If I get a one-guy raid before that and the raider gets downed instead of dying, I'll either leave him to bleed out or build him a quick 3x3 hut (5x5 walls, 3x3 interior) out of wood and plonk a sleeping spot down.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you have the Set Up Camps mod, you can also make a tent city (which also means an easy way to expand a prison barracks) as you can make small and medium tents at a crafting spot. You can fit 5 colonists easy in a medium tent and it'll be a decent quality barracks pretty quick, whereas a lot of my normal structure barracks stay awful for a bit...

It also means that, when you want to move things around, you can pack the tent and move it to a new spot, or package it up for selling.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I forgot to add one very important point: if you tear down your temporary barracks instead of repurposing it, make sure to designate the area to remove the roof before tearing down all the walls. I forgot to do that last night and nearly had a colonist lose their jaw (took 19 damage out of 20 jaw health) from the collapse after she took down the last wall.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I never plan , but I have a gimmick in mind most of the time,; I almost never use sleeping spots for colonists, I want three normal beds and I want them yesterday. The main stockpile will be in the kitchen, I will never change the settings and I want that stockpile to be mostly empty. All the rest grow from there.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

IcePhoenix posted:

A prison just has to be an enclosed room with somewhere for the prisoners to sleep (this can be a sleeping spot). I either use an extra bedroom or my initial barracks.

Remember that roofs, like clothes, beds and spare organs, are a privilege.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you use your initial barracks for prisoners, keep in mind that all food stored in the room will be forbidden from Colonists eating it, because it's reserved for the prisoners.

I got starvation warnings at the start of my most recent game and could not figure out why until I realized this was the case.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If your prisoners don't have stomachs, they don't need food

head pointing meme man.jpg

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Decided to be insane and do the one colonist start on sea ice, on Randy with the hardest difficulty. About a season in, one of the caravans that didn't hate my guts yet had a psychotic person that the faction didn't like, so I grabbed her and the two of them have been barely eking out an existence in the middle of a cold, toxic hell.

Almost immediately after finishing the smelter research and being worried about getting enough steel to make one so I could process all the slag lying around, Randy blesses me with a gift from the sky:

:shepface:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Those gifts can suck some times, think I still have a mostly-intact chicken wandering around from some cargo pods crashing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Randy dropped a rock salt meteor directly atop the fertile soil I was planning to build my hops farm on. Nobody likes salty beer, what the gently caress Randy :mad:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The part where you say he blesses you with a gift from the sky and there's an ominous shadow over all of the things in that picture makes that uncannily hilarious imo.

Like an enormous piano is about to crash on to everyone's heads.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
My this game poo poo the bed in a new an unusual way. No matter how much steel I have sitting in storage zones, I don't have enough to build anything. Tried restarted, tried deleted and recreating the stock pile, spent a day moving hundreds of steel to a new storage zone, but apparently I don't have enough to build anything. :(

Game was off to a promising start too.

Really wish the manager mod would also make sure people picked up the stuff it sent people out to do. I had guys harvesting berries forever because they were never prioritized as something to pick up.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 8, 2018

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Really wish the manager mod would also make sure people picked up the stuff it sent people out to do.
There's a mod for that.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1161112205

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The most inept raiders in my game so far last night entered the map and one of them immediately had a massive panic attack and wouldn't attack the base for an hour or so, then they regrouped and tried to "tunnel around my defenses" directly into an insect cave and were massacred. :hfive:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm using the Colony Manager mod, is there a way to designate two separate herds of chickens one that is female only for laying unfertilized eggs, and another that is mixed for raising and slaughtering for meat?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm using the Colony Manager mod, is there a way to designate two separate herds of chickens one that is female only for laying unfertilized eggs, and another that is mixed for raising and slaughtering for meat?

Manually setting separate animal zones?

Edit: the animal tab will sort by gender at the top, even though there isn't an actual icon in the spot.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is the fact that caravans consume an ungodly amount of food intended?

I have an item stash with an Ai persona core at 7.5 days from my settlement, I wanted to pick it up but apparently 1200 pemmican isn't enough for the roundtrip. Basically I loaded 4 pawns with nothing but dried meat and their fighting gear, and still I can't make it there and back home apparently?

I sent the caravan anyway, hopefully there is a way of resupply en route or the poor guys are screwed :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pemmican I think isn't actually a super good food, it's preserved but not as efficient as proper meals.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

TorakFade posted:

Is the fact that caravans consume an ungodly amount of food intended?

I have an item stash with an Ai persona core at 7.5 days from my settlement, I wanted to pick it up but apparently 1200 pemmican isn't enough for the roundtrip. Basically I loaded 4 pawns with nothing but dried meat and their fighting gear, and still I can't make it there and back home apparently?

I sent the caravan anyway, hopefully there is a way of resupply en route or the poor guys are screwed :v:

Does it generate a map for an item stash? If so, you could drop pod food once they arrive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
send em with kibble, they dgaf while caravanning if they're eating kibble or lavish meals apparently

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They need some sort of fridge truck in vanilla.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

jerman999 posted:

Does it generate a map for an item stash? If so, you could drop pod food once they arrive.

I don't have pods, and I don't know if item stashes spawn a map because I never sent a caravan due to the enormous food and time requirements, I am just now finding myself with the time and food to spare (not really actually but the raids are getting pretty intense so I have to get started on shipbuilding, and getting that AI core is tempting)

I also tried packing a few simple meals but those would spoil in 2 days and last very little time anyways according to the route planner so why even bother... Making several thousands of units of pemmican seems the only way to go really.

Hopefully I can just stop and hunt, 4 guys with assault rifles should suffice to kill a few wolves or whatever and scrounge together a dozen meals or so

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Are you bringing animals with you? Herbivores seem to eat grass on the way while it seems carnivores eat your stuff (but maybe something else was going on).

I pack enough meals to last as long as they spoil, and then preserved to do the whole trip plus a day, and then I have Set Up Camp mod and stop along the way if needed. If I was strapped for capacity I’d just scavenge along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Caravan chat makes me more and more sad that the dropships mod never updated to A18 :smith: Caravans are enough of a pain normally that I just don't bother.