Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Portable Ops was kinda proto-Peace Walker but also bad, Acid was a fun SRPG/card game that confused most people expecting an MGS game including me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but check this out, portable ops actually is good because it is commonly abbreviated to "POOPS"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Yeah but check this out, portable ops actually is good because it is commonly abbreviated to "POOPS"

well i can't argue with this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

peace walker is good but has the worst boss fights in the series. anytime a boss fight or "boss encounter" happened it was the worst. the last "real" boss was funny though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah gear rex, the living dinosaur version of metal gear rex, ruled

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Acid 2 legit owns. Its so fun.

I'd forgive a lot from Konami if they just made Acid 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

I also played a bit more Nier Automata, and I’m really awful at it. I’m not dying too often I guess, but I am whiffing a lot and getting stun locked. This happened when I play Bayonetta too, I don’t know what to do about it because presumably lowering the difficulty setting won’t make me stop misjudging distances and missing attacks and then feeling bad whenever I get knocked down by enemies

I’ve only put about an hour and half into it but I’m feeling kinda ehh, you know?
Eventually you will come across chips that dramatically boost your survivability. Chips that auto use items (with increased effects), automatically regenerate health at a set rate, and/or chips that refund some of your dealt damage back into your own HP. It did not take too long for me to construct a chip layout that rendered me basically immortal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ac!d is a great series. Kind of the start of the modern deckbuilding genre (Chain of Memories was the same year). The first half of Ac!d is also an extended "what if Decoy Octopus played a larger role" scenario and it's great.

I liked Portable Ops on release but Peace Walker just does it better except boss fights. The ultimate boss of POOPS is a man who warps reality with his voice, and you fight young Grey Fox which is quickly swept under the carpet by Peace walker.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Peace Walker actually has the best boss fights because they're modeled after monster Hunter while every other game in the series is you struggling to wrench the sneaking game controls into letting you fight a guy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sahelanthropus was also good, on account of being monster hunter

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Peace Walker also took the wrong things from Monster Hunter because its grindy as hell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having to grind the bosses in order to get the parts to make a good enough metal gear to get the real ending in Peace Walker was lame as hell. But the fights themselves were fun, and also Big Boss can bench press a metal gear so that's cool

(volume warning, this is very loud for some reason)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniykBNZa0w

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best metal gear solid game is ghost babel

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Taintrunner posted:

My wife signed off on getting a PS3 for Yakuza 3-5 after finishing Kiwami 2 when it drops so I'm incredibly excited to have a MGS2-4 machine again in my near future

When George W Bush gave everyone 300 dollars I bought a used PS3, MGS4, a lot of :420: and then after I was finished I sold the PS3 again because I didn't care about any other games on it lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Peacewalker and MGS5 are the best Metal Gear games, but MGS4 is the most Metal Gear game. For decent balance see MGS3 and 1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow I can't believe Before the Storm is trying to end on a happy not-*skips credits* gently caress

E: is the bonus episode not out or am I blind?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 8, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

the best metal gear solid game is ghost babel

Box.

Maze.

Never again

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Man I wonder how much of the younger generation that hasn't played Mario 3 just got completely stumped on what to do here

This chapter has been a ton of fun platforming wise compared to the hotel, but I'm at a point where the path diverges into like 8 different directions and there's no clear indicator of which one is the "main" path and I want to find all the side strawberries first before continuing.

This chapter has a lot of very fast platforming which is a ton of fun though

edit: Also does the thing you collect here do... anything?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 8, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

X-Com 2 is a crazy amount of fun and is super intense and stressful. I regret not buying this game when it first came out. I like that you don't know how badly your decisions might screw you over. Every choice needs to be a calculated risk and could potentially make the game harder for you.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow I can't believe Before the Storm is trying to end on a happy not-*skips credits* gently caress

E: is the bonus episode not out or am I blind?

March 6th.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rats I wanted that 20GB back

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also does the thing you collect here do... anything?

Both collectible types aside from strawberries are required to unlock stuff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ghost babel abbreviates to GB, for game boy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Castlevania 64 becomes C64, for Commodore 64

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Roughly a billion DS games had a DS abbreviation and it was weird as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's classic. Like all the games that had 64 or Super in their titles

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m excited to buy physical SNES games from the local retro store for my Super NT when it shows up at the beginning of next March, I’ve only had PC emulators to play them on! This ought to be a ton of fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Z abbreviates to z

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I own a copy of brink

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I own a copy of brink

everyone owns a copy of brink it's free to play on steam

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Don't you need at least 10 players for a match of LawBreakers

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Don't you need at least 10 players for a match of LawBreakers

Maybe someone is running 9 bot accounts in case a real person fires up the game and wants to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It will never stop being funny to me that dozens of $2 trash RPG maker games have more concurrent players on Steam than the Dark Souls of FPS, LawBreakers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It is getting trashed in recent reviews for having no players. I guess this is an unrecoverable downward spiral?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Peacewalker and MGS5 are the best Metal Gear games, but MGS4 is the most Metal Gear game. For decent balance see MGS3 and 1.

MGS4 is the true test of whether someone's a metal gear fan or not. If you don't like it then you're just a pretender.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Why did you get mad at your art?

Because I'm trying to draw a piece where a humanoid figure is the focal point and I still suck at anatomy.

Hands are hard.

wtf did they do to that MvC game to make it bomb so hard?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cowcaster posted:

everyone owns a copy of brink it's free to play on steam

I bought a ps3 copy for £20 back in the day lol 😁 😁 😁 😁

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A battle royale with souls combat

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/egress-battle-royale-souls-like-combat-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

wtf did they do to that MvC game to make it bomb so hard?

Put no money into it, made it ugly as hell and, most importantly, didn't use any of the characters on the Fox side of MCU so no X-Men or Deadpool (or Fantastic Four but no one really cared about them)

• Locked thread