Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Have you seen Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

Hahaha, that's fair, it's basically window shopping for now and I haven't done too much homework on house buying, but 100% serious, rents are close to $1250 a month for a place big enough for us. Several of our friends in the area have bought houses for this same reason, since the median mortgage payment is closer to $850

E: my fiance and I have just under $8k in saving

Mortgage payment is $850, then taxes, then insurance, then PMI if you haven't put 20% down. And that's best case, assuming the roof, plumbing, electrical, drainage, HVAC, mechanicals, etc. are fully in order (they aren't).

Buying a house is like adopting another living being into your family.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Door Frame posted:

E: my fiance and I have just under $8k in saving

You are not ready to buy a house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Let's be honest here: It's less that he's ready to buy a house, but that the bar has been raised on our generation making it far more difficult to buy a house than our parents.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That $8k would've been a huge down payment when booomers were our age.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Don’t buy your girlfriend a house so she can be near her dad OP.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fermented Tinal posted:

That $8k would've been a huge down payment when booomers were our age.

Would have bought a quarter of the loving house.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My parents bout their house for $50k

It's worth $300k now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The Door Frame posted:

My parents bout their house for $50k

It's worth $300k now

My aunt bought her house for £60k and its worth £850k now

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Too bad I don't have an enterprise grade router that could support this.

FWIW the best you could do with residential service from two separate ISPs is load balancing across the two connections. Bonding usually requires the ISP to pull some stings at their end so the two modems get treated as one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

FWIW the best you could do with residential service from two separate ISPs is load balancing across the two connections. Bonding usually requires the ISP to pull some stings at their end so the two modems get treated as one.

Yeah I looked into that, and pretty much this. Unless you control both ends, you only control which services/connections run on each connection.

I wonder, if you made some sort of VPN tunnel over each, ending at a server somewhere with plenty of bandwidth, could you achieve this?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I do get that we're not 100% ready, hence window shopping. I'm mostly bitching about obnoxiously high rent prices, and getting some of the more experienced people on here to temper my expectations. I get a little too excited about things sometimes

rdb posted:

Don’t buy your girlfriend a house so she can be near her dad OP.

I don't mean down the block, I mean within an or two hour drive. If it were up to me, we'd be headed to North Carolina, Florida, Texas, California, Virginia, anywhere besides Chicago. Not only is everything here too expensive, the weather is miserable, there's nothing but boring plains, and there's already a mass exodus from the Chicago area underway

gently caress the Midwest

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
pFSense can do WAN load balancing. And its free.
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Multi-WAN#Load_Balancing
Better question: Why do you need it? Unless you are running major, mission critical applications out of your house (why?) you don't need it.
You can also do Bonding/WAN Load Balancing with Open-WRT.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 8, 2018

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Door Frame posted:

I don't mean down the block, I mean within an or two hour drive. If it were up to me, we'd be headed to North Carolina, Florida, Texas, California, Virginia, anywhere besides Chicago. Not only is everything here too expensive, the weather is miserable, there's nothing but boring plains, and there's already a mass exodus from the Chicago area underway

This is kinda my point. You don’t really want it. She does. Let her buy it herself, houses aren’t easy to sell if things go south or if you want to go south.

Southern Indiana here, and yeah, not feeling the midwest today. The cold, mud and ice got me down.

On a maybe positive note, I lost my job a week ago. I have been getting some phone interviews, so I kinda feel like I won’t be unemployed long. The pay is within reason of what I was making, not the 50% cut I was dreading. Job title and responsibilities close enough. The downside is 11pm-7am. Or Dupont rotating schedule.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hi there dropping in to say "just because a mortgage is cheaper than rent doesn't mean you can afford replacing your hot water heater, AC, and furnace when they all decide to die at the same time like what happened to me"

thank god for having a careful wife who insisted on keeping a 6 month emergency fund instead of a 3 month

welp, cya

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

Better question: Why do you need it? Unless you are running major, mission critical applications out of your house (why?) you don't need it.

I think his idea was just the novelty of having the aggregate speed of both connections combined.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

rdb posted:

Or Dupont rotating schedule.

Avoid at all costs. My life is completely hosed because of a Dupont rotating schedule. The week off is NOT worth it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Avoid at all costs. My life is completely hosed because of a Dupont rotating schedule. The week off is NOT worth it.

Thanks, that was my gut reaction. The constant re adjustment doesn’t seem worth it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rdb posted:

Thanks, that was my gut reaction. The constant re adjustment doesn’t seem worth it.

It's not. You'll never get accustomed to it and it really fucks with you mentally on top of the social life downfalls.

I did work another shift in my life that on paper sounds amazing but after six months of it I started to hate: 4x10 with Sun, Wed, Sat off. Sounds great right? 3 days off a week and you never work more than 2 days in a row? Others may not have this problem but I did, I could never get in the groove of being productive at work. Every single day was either a "Monday" ugggggggggggggghhhh I don't want to be here quite yet or a "Friday" ugggggggghhhhh is it the weekend yet?. Its a real lovely way to feel if you don't actively hate what you do for a living. Switching back to a straight through 5x8 or 4x10 made me feel a ton better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
12 hour shifts are the worst.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

gently caress rotating shifts forever. I had to do a Panama schedule for about six weeks and it nearly killed me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yep. I can work practically any shift, but gently caress you if you want me to rotate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

12 hour shifts are the best.

3x12 means I get 4 days off in a row, or two sets of two days off, and I never work more than two days in a row. It's amazing and I'll never go back to 5x8.

Of course, I'm one of those people that, no matter when I wake up, I'm in the work parking lot within 45 minutes. I just can't bring myself to do a project unless I have at leaat three free hours, so I don't get anything accomplished on workdays, regardless if I do 12 hours or 8.

I can see the appeal of an ABC Kelly schedule, though. 24 on, 24 off x3, then 4 days off. Occasionally 5 days off to sync it with the months. A lot of EMT/Paramedic/Firefighter schools around here set up their class days to sync with Phoenix Fire's Kelly schedule, so most other agencies do, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't know what it was called but I'll literally do just about any job on the planet to avoid the 3x12hr days, 3 days off, 3x12hr nights, 3 days off I had to do between decent jobs.

"What are you doing Saturday?"
"Don't know, let me check my schedule... Sleeping. What day is it now?"

I literally had no idea what day it was and what I was doing on any named day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's flipping days to nights and that always sucks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today's the last day of my week off. Tomorrow night I work 7pm until 7am. Same with Sat, Sun, and Mon. Then it's Fri, Sat, Sun 7am-7pm. 48 hours later, Tues, Wed, Thurs 7pm-7am, then Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs 7am-7pm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_plan#DuPont_12-hour_rotating_plan

Example 2 is my life, I'm D shift where I work.

You can't make any sort of weekly commitments at all. Also, guess how often I have the energy to go out and socialize.

I've told higher ups that I'd be willing to work 12 hour nights 5 nights a week for no OT or shift premiums, just for the sake of not having to rotate. Seriously, I'd rather work 60 hour weeks at 1x time.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 8, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shift work can be pretty hard on your body too. drat, I have a hard enough time falling asleep every night as it is, I can't imagine how hosed up I'd be doing shiftwork.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cakesmith handyman posted:

I literally had no idea what day it was and what I was doing on any named day.

This.

Today is Thursday, right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Would have bought a quarter of the loving house.

I mean basically yeah that's what the banks want you to do now. You pay PMI if you've got less than 1/5 of the house price as a down payment.
Good luck getting a decent rate pm anything less than 25% down.

Wife and I just dropped a $150k down payment to slide into our meager suburban shack on .1 acre.

CommieGIR posted:

I mean I think having a second internet provider and WAN failover is a pretty good idea for anyone with security cameras or use the TV as a babysitter.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thread title incorrect for, what, the next 20min?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Adiabatic's probably at work, so a couple hours at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Adiabatic's probably at work, so a couple hours at least.

WOO! THERE'S NO RULES!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Then don't buy a house in the Midwest? Hate to be a downer, but what are you going to do when her father passes? If you don't want to live in the midwest forever then just rent until you're ready to move to somewhere you really want to live. In the meantime keep saving for a down payment.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

WOO! THERE'S NO RULES!

False. I am here always and forever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This.

Today is Thursday, right?

I get that now just working nights, but I'm making a poo poo ton of money relative to what I used to make, so I'll tough it out unless I got psychotic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I think having a second internet provider and WAN failover is a pretty good idea for anyone with security cameras or use the TV as a babysitter.

Just get a 4G tether as a backup. Multiple consumer grade laptops allow you to tether as a backup modem.

Seems a little costly, how often is your internet going out that you need a backup WAN access?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

False. I am here always and forever.

Just for the record I legit laughed out loud

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't do it man

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I meant like a year ago when I was posting last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Rotational schedule chat: years ago I was suckered into an every other month Sunday-Thursday rotation under the premise that it would only last 4-6 months. It ended up being 6 years (until I left the company.) I eventually got so sick of changing schedules that I volunteered to just make it my normal week.

It was a really bad deal. If I needed to take a whole week off I had to arrange for a coworker to cover my Sunday shift (which nobody ever wanted to do), and I ended up almost always getting sent 100+ miles one way away from home (I worked as a field technician) because the dispatchers had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a service call that either had parts on site or didn't need them, which was rare. And if they didn't have anything for me to do (not terribly common, but also not unheard of) I'd get chewed out by my manager.

The result has been I now have a natural distrust for anything an employer tells me and always ask for it in writing if there's a chance of it biting me in the rear end down the road.

• Locked thread