Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Loving my C7 so far. I hope to mount it on the wall tomorrow as well.

Now if only I can figure out why the shield connected to it doesn't want to give google assistant permissions like the other one, I would be as pleased as punch.

Also the avs forum settings for hdr make it bright as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Helped my friend install a mantelmount and put a 75” Vizio on it today. Would recommend mantelmount again.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think I might get that 55" Roku TV. Thanks thread.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 7, 2018

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I run an optical cable from a C7 to my receiver, with it send through whatever audio it receives? Or is there some kind of copy protection bullshit that will force it down to a 2.0 signal?

I'm planning on updating to a C7 in the near future, but I don't really see a need to update my receiver just yet. I just want to make sure that if I connect an AppleTV 4k directly to the TV, it will pass through the audio signal to the receiver unaltered. I'm not worried about any kind of Dolby Atmos or Dolby X or anything like that, just regular DD5.1.

I guess I'd also want to make sure the internal apps of the TV can send their audio to the receiver, but as far as I know the only TV app that's not on the AppleTV is YouTube with proper HDR.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have experience with LGs in particular but this [maybe a little out of date] seems to indicate it will pass vanilla Dolby Digital and DTS. Atmos and the other object based formats don't work over SPDIF, you need to use ARC if you want those.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm looking to purchase my first HDTV and could use some help. Use would be movies and shows, connected solely to a PC. Doubling as a monitor for general use and the occasional game would be great if input lag isn't too bad. There's no chance my 1060 6GB can run games at 4K, though, so could I downscale the TV to 1440p or something without it looking terrible? I'll keep a proper monitor if I have to, it's not a deal-breaker.

Here's my shortlist:
- Hisense H49N5700
- Samsung UE49MU6445
- Sony KD49XE8077

I can also get a deal on a Samsung UE49MU8005, which would usually be way out of my budget (costs twice as much as the Hisense). I've been researching this stuff, but I still can't tell if it's worth the extra cash. Example: the Hisense, while being the cheapest, is direct-lit, which I understand is better than the Edge-LED lighting the Samsungs and Sony have. Why is that? The MU8005 sure looks nice, though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For folks with a 7 series OLED, what kinda OLED light setting are you using? I'm using the ISF dark room picture mode and had to turn it down to a lil under 50.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I use like 25 or 30 but my OLED is in the basement. Same profile as you. Obviously in HDR profiles I turn it way up.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Avs forum has me at cinema setting, which puts oled at 100.

It's really bright. Like really loving bright. So much so that watching a hdr show with a light source behind them makes me squint as well. Thinking of going back to the rtings dark settings.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Oled light is pure preference. There is no right or wrong answer and it should not change the picture quality.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Roundboy posted:

Avs forum has me at cinema setting, which puts oled at 100.

It's really bright. Like really loving bright. So much so that watching a hdr show with a light source behind them makes me squint as well. Thinking of going back to the rtings dark settings.

Ew. Turn that poo poo down

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
I was told I am finally allowed to buy an oled, whens the LG 2018’s coming out?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rtings calls a TV with 13ms average GTG and 30ms transition from 0% to 20% "outstanding, resulting in only a very short trail following moving objects. This is excellent for fast-paced content.", while tftcentral.co.uk considers a monitor with similar numbers as "very slow" and "with a large amount of blurring in moving content".

So which is it? What's the deal with ghosting on non-OLED HDTVs? I had one hell of a first impression with VA panels when I bought a AOC 32" QHD monitor a few weeks ago (https://gfycat.com/UnkemptDistantBetafish) and would rather avoid making the same mistake twice.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Most monitors are IPS or TN, while most TVs are VA. Any VA panel will have ghosts behind a dark object against a bright background. A VA TV will also have 10x the contrast ratio of an IPS display, no IPS glow and probably be a lot brighter than a monitor. It's all trade offs. Compared to a monitor a TV will tend to have bad lag numbers, but compared to to TV it could be good.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

If most TVs are VA, that means most people would rather have ghosts than greyer blacks? Have you looked at the gif? Seems like a terrible trade-off to me.

I've narrowed it down to the Samsung 49MU8005. I suppose there's nothing like testing it myself. I'll check the store's return policy.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think TVs maybe do some motion processing that monitors can't do because it would add input lag. I certainly can't say that I noticed anything as bad as the gif you posted on past VA TVs I've had, being further from the screen than with a monitor might also be a factor.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I don't have to use the TV as a monitor, it'd just be nice to have only one display instead of two. My worry is that, even used solely as a TV, the ghosting will be intolerable. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to it than average or if the AOC made me paranoid and "normal" amounts are actually fine :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

seravid posted:

If most TVs are VA, that means most people would rather have ghosts than greyer blacks? Have you looked at the gif? Seems like a terrible trade-off to me.

It's actually desirable behavior for a TV. Most content is 24fps and the ghosting adds motion blur which smooths out transitions without adding motion interpolation.

One of the common complaints of OLEDs is their response time is too quick. It sometimes manifests itself into a motion artifact where the eye thinks the frame is jumping back for a split second on fast motion (when it's really not.) That's one of the reasons why judder complaints are higher for OLEDs, the instantaneous response time can be jarring on most content.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TomR posted:

Most monitors are IPS or TN, while most TVs are VA. Any VA panel will have ghosts behind a dark object against a bright background. A VA TV will also have 10x the contrast ratio of an IPS display, no IPS glow and probably be a lot brighter than a monitor. It's all trade offs. Compared to a monitor a TV will tend to have bad lag numbers, but compared to to TV it could be good.

Va is roughly 4-6x the contrast of ips.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My buddy has last years Vizio P 65" and I was there last night and Netflix was really lovely on it. Most things start out in 480p and takes a while before it gets better. I was like well you oughta plug that poo poo in directly to your router cause 4K video requires a lot of bandwidth. He did today but its only reporting speeds of 6-7mbps and he has the same 100mbps service I have, wifi even worse. But do a speed test on the phablet remote that came with the TV and it shows 98mbps. We use Netflix on the gfs Xbone and its mostly flawless, only a 1080p TV but it very rarely hiccups and delivers a low res image. I've read the built in speed test cant be trusted but it seems in line with the kind of experience he is having with Netflix. He's gone through the trouble of calibrating the TV as recommended and doesn't really want to do a factory reset, it doesn't seem like this is an isolated incident from what I've read anyway. Any thoughts, anything we can try?

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I have a weird combination of influences in my "what tv should I get" questions (mostly a goofy room layout). Any thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Am I going to hate myself in 6 months if I get a 49" tv instead of a 55? It seems like everyone says get 55" or higher / under 55"'s have older tech. My gf is adamant that a 55" will take up too much space, jut out into the room, and block the view.
Is the Samsung UN49MU8000 a good choice (the 55" gets good reviews but I was worried maybe the panels are different for smaller sizes)? I have to get a Samsung bc we have a ~30% discount through work.

TV link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9VCP3W?tag=rtings-tv-pc11a-20&ie=UTF8

My apartment has a janky layout which means the couch has to run parallel to the TV (meaning my gf is usually 4-5 feet from the TV and I'm 5-6) while the TV has to sit on an angle in front of a giant ac unit and jut-outs into the room.

Linked pictures
https://imgur.com/a/kkeYI

Also, how hard is it to attach a different legs to a TV (ie. can you attach a different set of legs to the wallmount points on the tv)? Because the TV sits at an angle to the wall I want to have it sit on a central pedestal to save space / so I can rotate the TV a few degrees (the UN49MU8000 has feet on the ends of the TV which would preclude the above).

False fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 12, 2018

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It's actually desirable behavior for a TV. Most content is 24fps and the ghosting adds motion blur which smooths out transitions without adding motion interpolation.

Okay, but surely you're not talking about such a severe effect as in the gif.

False posted:

Is the Samsung UN49MU8000 a good choice (the 55" gets good reviews but I was worried maybe the panels are different for smaller sizes)? I have to get a Samsung bc we have a ~30% discount through work.

The 49MU800X is 60Hz and 8Bit+FRC while the 55+ models are 120Hz and 10Bit. I'll still give it a shot (in the UE variant that has the much cooler central stand) because the 55 is both too large and expensive for me, but YMMV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

seravid posted:

Okay, but surely you're not talking about such a severe effect as in the gif.

That gif has zero context around it so I really don't know what the hell it's showing. It's not a proper slow motion video so it's pretty useless from a perspective of judging TVs.

Is that a TV? A Monitor? What settings were used? What camera was used?

Edit: I guess you were referring to that monitor earlier in the post. It's not really a valid comparison to a TV and specs on paper aren't telling the whole story.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2018

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

False posted:

I have a weird combination of influences in my "what tv should I get" questions (mostly a goofy room layout). Any thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Am I going to hate myself in 6 months if I get a 49" tv instead of a 55? It seems like everyone says get 55" or higher / under 55"'s have older tech. My gf is adamant that a 55" will take up too much space, jut out into the room, and block the view.

TV link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9VCP3W?tag=rtings-tv-pc11a-20&ie=UTF8

My apartment has a janky layout which means the couch has to run parallel to the TV (meaning my gf is usually 4-5 feet from the TV and I'm 5-6) while the TV has to sit on an angle in front of a giant ac unit and jut-outs into the room.

Linked pictures
https://imgur.com/a/kkeYI

Also, how hard is it to attach a different legs to a TV (ie. can you attach a different set of legs to the wallmount points on the tv)? Because the TV sits at an angle to the wall I want to have it sit on a central pedestal to save space / so I can rotate the TV a few degrees (the UN49MU8000 has feet on the ends of the TV which would preclude the above).

You can’t switch the couch and dresser around?

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

comper posted:

You can’t switch the couch and dresser around?
Unfortunately not. GF wants the couch where we can watch the sun set and the dresser is too tall.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

That gif has zero context around it so I really don't know what the hell it's showing. It's not a proper slow motion video so it's pretty useless from a perspective of judging TVs.

Is that a TV? A Monitor? What settings were used? What camera was used?

Edit: I guess you were referring to that monitor earlier in the post. It's not really a valid comparison to a TV and specs on paper aren't telling the whole story.

It's showing multiple dudes moving around with huge ghosts trailing them :confused:

Left half of Apollo 13 running on a AOC Q3279VWF, shot at 120fps with a Pixel XL standing close to the monitor because ghosting is actually pretty hard to capture on video. I posted it as a reference. It's what a VA panel means to me and I was/am wondering if that's more or less what I can expect from VA HDTVs. I'll bring the movie on a USB drive when I go to the store tomorrow, hopefully they let me play it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, you really shouldn't see anything like that with a normal tv.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got a cheap Samsung TV to use as a computer monitor and if I have a white window with a black box in it and move it around with my mouse it leaves a little trail behind it, but I've never noticed it while watching anything. It's a UN40MU6290 if you want to look up what rtings says about it.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When will we see hdmi 2.1 on TVs? That will really make them an alternative to expensive monitors if you don't mind a little lag.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably 2019 models.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If it's anything like previous rollouts the 2019 models will be barely functional and missing a bunch of features, the 2020 models will mostly work except for a few quirks and by 2021 HDMI 2.1 will be fully working but they'll have announced HDMI 3 which is going to be way better we promise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A few pages ago I guessed $6500 for the new 85" 900f. I was pretty close, just undercut it a bit. Though, I would guess $6500 as a street price without too much delay.

Sony XBR-49X900F 49" class (48.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,099.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-55X900F 55" class (54.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,499.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-65X900F 65" class (64.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $2,299.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-75X900F 75" class (74.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $3,999.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-85X900F 65" class (84.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $6,999.99 MSRP

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pretty hefty jump for those last 10 inches, but I guess the bigger you go the more difference a couple inches make.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, you gotta think of it in in terms of inches squared. Adding 10” diagonal to a panel increases the total surface area a ton, and that’s where getting high quality yields starts getting problematic.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

bull3964 posted:

A few pages ago I guessed $6500 for the new 85" 900f. I was pretty close, just undercut it a bit. Though, I would guess $6500 as a street price without too much delay.

Sony XBR-49X900F 49" class (48.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,099.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-55X900F 55" class (54.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,499.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-65X900F 65" class (64.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $2,299.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-75X900F 75" class (74.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $3,999.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-85X900F 65" class (84.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $6,999.99 MSRP

And now I feel a lot better about buying my 55x930E at the price I did.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, you gotta think of it in in terms of inches squared. Adding 10” diagonal to a panel increases the total surface area a ton, and that’s where getting high quality yields starts getting problematic.

The prices for 75"+ screens still seem to scale out of proportion even when accounting for that.

code:
Size	Area	% +	Price	% +
48.5	1176.1		1100	
54.6	1490.6	26.7%	1500	36.4%
64.5	2080.1	39.6%	2300	53.3%
74.5	2775.1	33.4%	4000	73.9%
84.6	3578.6	29.0%	7000	75.0%
Math's a bit rough (assuming the TV is square), but the general scale should be about right.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 13, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

When 55" is the new normal, 75"+ priced as a luxury product.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is 900f the replacement for the 900e?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Likely both the 900e and 930e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I get a general question that might be a lil stupid. If I got a soundbar hooked up to the HDMI 2 port say, is it possible to get the video from a device on HDMI 3 with the audio still coming from the soundbar on HDMI 2? The TV in question is an LG B7 in case that matters.