Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I made tri-tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Man, I miss living in SoCal. I really need to find a good butcher to get me some tritip.

SoDak, you so boring :(

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Spinach lasagna. Light on the cheese (just ricotta and romano). New year new me. Etc.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

emotive posted:

Spinach lasagna. Light on the cheese (just ricotta and romano). New year new me. Etc.

I would be interested in this recipe, please and thank you. Looks fantastic!

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Tonight was my first time making a quiche.

I made one with ham, mushrooms, and a cheese blend; and one with broccoli and spinach, with the cheese blend.

Simple yet amazing to me. I’ve always loved the thought of what’s basically a big dinner omelet.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Pasta for lunch yesterday.

Peas, garlic, mint, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts and sunflower seeds. FInished with black pepper and parmesan.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Exchanged loaves with a local baker today and had to make up some pasta to go along with his bread for dinner.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Well my first no-knead bread, with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, is done and I'm really satisfied with how it turned out. It's a bit more moist than I expected but the taste is amazing and looks soooo good. Definitely going to do this again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ogopogo posted:

Exchanged loaves with a local baker today and had to make up some pasta to go along with his bread for dinner.

Gat drat

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I made a quiche! Onions, kale, cherry tomatoes, and rosemary with a little bit of whatever cheese I had in my fridge and a homemade crust. It never quite set (I think the tomatoes added too much liquid), but it was delicious!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

camoseven posted:

I made a quiche! Onions, kale, cherry tomatoes, and rosemary with a little bit of whatever cheese I had in my fridge and a homemade crust. It never quite set (I think the tomatoes added too much liquid), but it was delicious!

For future quiches, I recommend halving the tomatoes, salting them liberally, and putting them in a strainer above a bowl. The salt will draw out a shitload of the moisture in them, and season them to boot. Not only will this prevent your quiche from having a soggy bottom and not setting, but you're also left with some delicious tomato liquid that you can use for a vinaigrette, a cocktail, or whatever.

It was chilly this weekend so I decided to use the turkey carcass I had sitting in my freezer from Thanksgiving. Pressure cooked it with onion, celery, carrot, parsley, and some peppercorns for an hour, then made some chicken soup with egg noodles:

It was by far the best chicken soup I've ever made.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Was it really chicken soup though? Am I missing something?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Was it really chicken soup though? Am I missing something?

Turkey broth with chicken in it is...what kind of soup, to you?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I didn’t see where any chicken was added, sorry. It sounded like turkey soup with the meat stewed off the bones in a pressure cooker. But it makes sense reading it again and looks good either way.

I presume it was a roast turkey carcass? I usually fry turkeys, or smoke them. The resulting stock is very strong, and would overwhelm any chicken and noodles I put in it. I use it for turkey gumbo usually, which is pretty robust.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Whoops, yeah, duh...all I used the roast turkey carcass for was making the stock. The chicken soup was more of the same veggies (celery, onion, carrot, parsley) and egg noodles, with a bunch of chicken breast I seared then chopped up and tossed into the stock to cook through.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Was craving butter chicken like crazy, so I made some. Turned out pretty good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

Was craving butter chicken like crazy, so I made some. Turned out pretty good

looks nice! we made some vegetable vindaloo on monday which turned out good. i've been using concentrate from the indian mart in town but i want to try making my own vindaloo soon, seems easy enough

veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, carrot, garlic, ginger, shallot, red onion, mushrooms)

finished (added the sauce + tomato puree, a sliver of coconut cream, and roasted potatoes)

served with trader joe's garlic naan because i'm lazy and hate baking

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

kumba posted:

looks nice! we made some vegetable vindaloo on monday which turned out good. i've been using concentrate from the indian mart in town but i want to try making my own vindaloo soon, seems easy enough

Dammit, now I'm craving vindaloo. Guess I know what I'm making this weekend

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I got an upgrade and in turn upped my smashed burger game

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

atothesquiz posted:

This. Instead of buying six 8ounce steaks, buy 3 16ounce or even better, 2 24ounce steaks. Thicker steaks (1.5" and thicker), when cooked properly, will always be superiour smaller cuts (when appropriate for the cut of steak).

This way you only have to sear two steaks which shouldn't add much more time or effort versus 3 times the work for less flavorful dinner.

Edit: Example:

Woah. Can I get the recipe for that asparagus?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pollyanna posted:

Not empty quoting

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oil it, salt it, put it in a hot oven, take it out and sprinkle some cheese on it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man, I had half a pork loin and some leftover pineapple that tasted weird and decided to chunk the pineapple and marinade the loin for 24 hours in teriyaki sauce and pineapple chunks and garlic slices.

I seared it in a pan and then roasted it with the marinade and some added green onion and ginger. I blanched some green beans and then seared them with garlic in bacon fat. I served both over a little rice mixed with millet.

It was amazing. Easily best leftover meal I've ever done. It disappeared too fast for pictures.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With a near-empty fridge, I freestyled dinner and tossed a mostly-full bag of chopped kale into my slow cooker with a couple quarts of bean broth leftover from pressure cooking chickpeas, with some chopped onion and a couple cloves of garlic. I also had a frozen smoked ham hock I've been meaning to use so I tossed that in there. To serve I cooked a couple cups of millet and grated a bunch of asiago into it, then put some in the bowls before ladeling the stew over it. It was the heartiest, most comforting soup/stew I could have made. The ham hock perfectly seasoned it and was definitely the magic ingredient. I use my slow cooker about once a year but this was a great application for it. Cooked for about six hours on low.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ranter posted:

I got an upgrade and in turn upped my smashed burger game

How do you keep the burger from sticking to the smash spatula? Oil the spatula first?

I previously used a silicone spatula so that might be it too. I now have a big beautiful metal one (not quite as nice as yours) so I can't wait to try again.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tortilla chip chilaquiles (kinda). Super satisfying for how quick it is to make.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Stringent posted:

Oil it, salt it, put it in a hot oven, take it out and sprinkle some cheese on it?

Pretty much. I just snap the ends of the asparagus, put them in a warm pan with oil and sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes. Move them around until they're done (some what fork tender). Then I take them off and sprinkle with a little grated parm. Not much too it, they're not pretty to look at, these especially are a bit wet/oily looking but they're good.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Having recently gone on an awesome vacation to Thailand, I've come home wanting to only eat Thai food. So that's what I've been making a lot of recently.

Tom Kha Gai Soup - super easy to make, the hardest part I guess is finding lime leaves and maybe the galangal.

Cashew Chicken Stir Fry - Beyond simple, the only item I didn't have in my kitchen already was the oyster sauce and chinese wine

Freshly made green curry paste. Sadly I have no pictures of what the paste actually looked like but imagine a green paste.. that was spicy. I haven't worked with shrimp paste before, that was an interesting ingredient. It had a 'mole' like smell to it.

Gaeng Kiew Wan Gai(?) - Green Curry Soup - Next time I make this I want to try a store bought paste to see if the homemade stuff is worth the work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

Having recently gone on an awesome vacation to Thailand, I've come home wanting to only eat Thai food. So that's what I've been making a lot of recently.

Freshly made green curry paste. Sadly I have no pictures of what the paste actually looked like but imagine a green paste.. that was spicy. I haven't worked with shrimp paste before, that was an interesting ingredient. It had a 'mole' like smell to it.

All that looks delicious. What ingredient list/ratios did you use for the green curry paste?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

How do you keep the burger from sticking to the smash spatula? Oil the spatula first?

I previously used a silicone spatula so that might be it too. I now have a big beautiful metal one (not quite as nice as yours) so I can't wait to try again.

It helps if you toss the ball of meat in the pan for like 15 seconds, then roll it over so that seared spot is on top and smash at that point. That little seared spot helps the patty release easier from the spatula.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My first couple of burgs never stick, but once you have some liquid fat on there it tends to. So wipe the bottom of the spatula off between burgs, or do the smash and slide maneuver.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Jhet posted:

All that looks delicious. What ingredient list/ratios did you use for the green curry paste?

Here ya go! It makes enough for two servings of green curry soup.. about two table spoons worth.

My wife and I took a pretty awesome cooking class in Chiang Mai. It was supposed to be an already small class of 6 people and the instructor but 4 people had to cancel suddenly so it ended up being a private cooking class. We made 5 different meals and he supplied us with a cook book of his dishes at the end of it. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend doing something similar.

The class helped me realize that whenever I used to make stir fry at home with my woke, I was using way too much oil. When we made our dishes with the instructor, all you needed was 1.5 to 2 table spoons of oil and things didn't come out dry and definitely didn't come out oily.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BrianBoitano posted:

Nothing. The meat doesn't stick.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

Here ya go! It makes enough for two servings of green curry soup.. about two table spoons worth.

My wife and I took a pretty awesome cooking class in Chiang Mai. It was supposed to be an already small class of 6 people and the instructor but 4 people had to cancel suddenly so it ended up being a private cooking class. We made 5 different meals and he supplied us with a cook book of his dishes at the end of it. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend doing something similar.

The class helped me realize that whenever I used to make stir fry at home with my woke, I was using way too much oil. When we made our dishes with the instructor, all you needed was 1.5 to 2 table spoons of oil and things didn't come out dry and definitely didn't come out oily.

Awesome thanks! That does look to be tasty. I only have a small M&P, so maybe I'll talk my wife into letting me buy a large one finally. Right after all the other stuff for my kitchen that I don't exactly need, but would be so very useful. Really, I need to just get rid of some of the newer technology stuff that I don't use and get the old standbys instead.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BrianBoitano posted:

I always do fried onions with my burgs, so I plop a few slices on the meat ball before smashing. Keeps it from sticking and then gets flipped over with the patty. Since you've got the smash crust on one side it's not like you need a good crust on the other.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Jhet posted:

Awesome thanks! That does look to be tasty. I only have a small M&P, so maybe I'll talk my wife into letting me buy a large one finally. Right after all the other stuff for my kitchen that I don't exactly need, but would be so very useful. Really, I need to just get rid of some of the newer technology stuff that I don't use and get the old standbys instead.

My M&P isn't that big, it's about 3.5" inner diameter and a depth of 2.5. You dont have to put all the ingredients in at once. Start grinding the dry seeds and then start adding in stuff one by one until a uniform paste is made. It helps if you dice everything as small as you can first before trying to mash it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Our markets are only open every second Saturday so I made my own gozleme for us for lunch. These had lamb, spinach, feta and chilli

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

atothesquiz posted:

Gaeng Kiew Wan Gai(?) - Green Curry Soup - Next time I make this I want to try a store bought paste to see if the homemade stuff is worth the work.

I've always found homemade green curry paste well worth the effort.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I find homemade red curry paste to be noticeably better than the jar stuff. It's more complex and the kaffir lime, lemongrass and galangal oils don't store very well so they're better fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

iajanus posted:

Our markets are only open every second Saturday so I made my own gozleme for us for lunch. These had lamb, spinach, feta and chilli

Wanna eat this.