Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Just come to Compass instead and get the commuter hotels :shibe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Dude is fat, snores like a chainsaw, refuses to get a CPAP because they're "too expensive". He's well aware.

xaarman posted:

So, if I want to avoid the crash pad situation at LGA, what is the going crew rate for hotels around that area?

I may have to do 1 maybe 2 months of SC reserve. Debating for QoL what it'll cost me to just do hotels instead...

I highly doubt you'll save money hoteling it based on what I've heard rates are. One guy told me he got "a deal" at $100/n. I'm paying under $300/m

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 7, 2018

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Or you could do what I did my first year and try hostels instead. Like a crashpad but with foreigners instead of dorky pilots, and cheaper! :retrogames:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Transcript is out on the Lear that crashed in TEB. All I can say is wow.......

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/60000-60499/60373/611541.pdf

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AWSEFT posted:

Transcript is out on the Lear that crashed in TEB. All I can say is wow.......

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/60000-60499/60373/611541.pdf

yeesh. :(

I was on the ramp when it happened, it was gusty as hell and having to circle didn’t help, but at least we were in a forgiving airplane and my other pilot is great at communicating with me.

Lear, unstabilized approach, bad CRM. That’s a terrifying combination.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Lots of info here:
https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdmss/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=60373

From the Operations/Human Performance Group Chairman's Factual Report (Direct quoted parts):

quote:

Captain failed his CFI, CMEL, and ATP-M check rides.
From his LR upgrade check ride:
"the Captain required three additional simulator training sessions prior to his check ride."
"During the circle-to-land training conducted on July 17, 2016, he was graded “Not Yet Proficient – Additional Training Required,” and on July 18, 2016, he required additional training to meet proficiency requirements on circle-to-land approaches."
"According to a July 18, 2016 email from the Captain’s instructor, the Captain was not recommended for the check ride in the Lear 35, and he would need more training before being signed off. "
"According to the Chief Pilot, Trans-Pacific was aware of the captain’s training difficulties that included circling approaches and maintaining assigned altitudes"

quote:

FO failed his PP-SEL twice.
From his LR recurrent (he was already typed in the LR35):
"According to interviews, MedFlight was initiating a review of the SIC’s continued employment based on his weak performance when the SIC resigned from MedFlight on January 5, 2016."
"According to CAE Simuflite simulator training records, the SIC required four additional simulator training sessions (for a total of 6 simulator training sessions) prior to conducting his check ride on September 29, 2016."
"During the circle-to-land training conducted on September 22, 2016 and September 25, 2016 he was graded “Not Yet Proficient – Additional Training Required.”" and "His proficiency check on September 29, 2016 did not include a circle-to-land approach."
"According to the SIC’s instructor’s notes following the September 18, 2016 simulator training session, the SIC had the following training difficulties: Struggled with normal procedures, Did not perform takeoff checks correctly or know what to look for during the checks, Did not know how to start the engines, Crashed on first takeoff due to incorrect flight director settings, Unable to control speed and altitude during the stall series, Flew inverted on the unusual attitude module, Crashed on landing during an ILS approach"

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Signs you're not a good pilot during training:

1. crashed during a routine takeoff

2. flew inverted

3. crashed during a routine ILS

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rekinom posted:

Signs you're not a good pilot during training:

1. crashed during a routine takeoff

2. flew inverted

3. crashed during a routine ILS

0.5. Did not know how to start the engines

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you can't start the engines you're the best bad pilot to have...

Until you're flying with a pilot who can.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I worked in the sim at a Learjet training center and it’s incredible what I’ve seen pilots do that have thousands of hours. That plane just broke some people. Acting quickly when systems are related comes with time and understanding of that airplane, sure, but I saw so many people forget how-not-to-die-101 stuff that it was unnerving. More than once I saw an inverted unusual attitude go on for 30 seconds to the ground with the instructor saying, over and over, “you’re upside down. Now you’re all over. Look outside. You’re going to crash. Look outside. LOOK OUTSIDE.”

But money + retraining was better than telling someone they shouldn’t be a Learjet pilot.

The Ferret King posted:

This is wisdom.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Were those guys being fake-angry at everything or do you think they were actually that annoyed with their instructions?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Do Learjets have a reputation for being particularly difficult to fly?

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
So i've been reading this thread forever and I'm considering taking the jump and going for PPL/RPL in NZ

I've been up for a few test flights and i'm feeling 90% about flying, I get the jitters a little bit at the bounciness of being in a little Tecnam p92 but I understand it's due to the lightness of the aircraft etc etc and I feel that I'll get used to it in time however the one thing holding me back at the moment is the checklists and emergency aspects of flying, The amount of pre-flight items to check, Run-up checks and emergency checks is daunting me quite a bit, I'm not sure i'll be able to remember then 100% should an emergency ever occur and i'm solo, Not helped that the airport i'd be learning from (NZWR) has water at both ends of the runway so an engine failure after takeoff looks to limit me to a water ditching.

Is this something you all worried about before learning to fly? Is it just a case of "it'll come in time" or were checklists and procedures tough to learn?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Even the “lets 410 it” guys that didn’t understand high altitude flight knew the midair engine start procedure. They didn’t follow it, but they said it correctly in the CVR transcript!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

E4C85D38 posted:

Do Learjets have a reputation for being particularly difficult to fly?

The 60 I was in had a steeper learning curve than something like a citation. The engines are crazy powerful and there wasn’t a lot of wing. Slowing down is hard if you didn’t plan ahead and it’s easy to get behind a lot once you’re behind a little. Hand flying it is a little intimidating because power changes your pitch substantially, so a lot of people use the auto as much as possible and end up sucking at things like circling approaches.

The absolute no no is getting too slow and low at the same time in that plane, because it will be a bitch to fix. If you divert a little extra brain power to watching your airspeed and altitude while always having your go around procedure and crm tight it’s no biggie. If you can’t fly a consistently stabilized approach that doesn’t need more than little baby corrections it isn’t the plane for you yet, because every correction in pitch, trim or power is gonna jack up the other 2.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rolo posted:

Hand flying it is a little intimidating because power changes your pitch substantially, so a lot of people use the auto as much as possible and end up sucking at things like circling approaches.

This is not limited to the Lear. At my airline, the unofficial standard way of "flying" a visual approach is to twist the heading bug to have the autopilot intercept the ILS at 7 miles out and turn it off at 1000 feet or less, fully configured and on speed.

This is done 90% of the time, including the most clear and calm days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Beccara posted:

So i've been reading this thread forever and I'm considering taking the jump and going for PPL/RPL in NZ

I've been up for a few test flights and i'm feeling 90% about flying, I get the jitters a little bit at the bounciness of being in a little Tecnam p92 but I understand it's due to the lightness of the aircraft etc etc and I feel that I'll get used to it in time however the one thing holding me back at the moment is the checklists and emergency aspects of flying, The amount of pre-flight items to check, Run-up checks and emergency checks is daunting me quite a bit, I'm not sure i'll be able to remember then 100% should an emergency ever occur and i'm solo, Not helped that the airport i'd be learning from (NZWR) has water at both ends of the runway so an engine failure after takeoff looks to limit me to a water ditching.

Is this something you all worried about before learning to fly? Is it just a case of "it'll come in time" or were checklists and procedures tough to learn?

It will come in time. By the time you're ready to go solo, you will be comfortable enough with the emergency checklists that, should an emergency occur, you'll be able to handle it -- your instructor will not allow you to go solo if he or she didn't think you could handle such a situation.

Regarding non-emergency checklists, we use them for a reason, and that reason is our memories are very error-prone. You don't need to memorize them, and for something like the run-up checklist, there's really not much point in trying. As long as you remember how to check every item that's listed on the checklist, you needn't memorize the checklist itself. For pre-flight inspections, you will reach a point where there's a natural "flow" and you don't need to rely on a checklist any more, but it's still a good idea to look at the checklist after you've completed the pre-flight inspection just to ensure that all items got checked -- this is also true of many in-flight checks.

So, long story short: yes, everyone feels overwhelmed when they're first starting out, or moving up to a faster, more complex aircraft, or doing any sort of advanced training that demands new skills. It's not something to be "worried" about -- as you train, your confidence will grow, and things will seem less daunting.

(Then you'll start on a multi-engine rating and feel just as useless and overwhelmed as you did the first time :v:)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If there’s anything I’ve learned working my way up through training, instructing, ATP, and getting to the regionlols, it’s that almost nothing happens in a plane that is time critical. Slow down, take a breath, make sure you’re not making the situation worse.

Like the old adage every pilot ever has heard about the first thing to do if you lose your engine, wind your watch.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Thanks guys :) Thats reassuring that things don't happen as fast as an Air Crash Investigation show

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

yeesh. :(

I was on the ramp when it happened, it was gusty as hell and having to circle didn’t help, but at least we were in a forgiving airplane and my other pilot is great at communicating with me.

Lear, unstabilized approach, bad CRM. That’s a terrifying combination.

I'm confused what a circling approach is. They're set up on the ILS for runway 6, then at the FAF they turn on a DME arc to intercept runway 1 visually?

Meanwhile, these clownshoes managed to not be able to maintain an airspeed for a whole half-hour, and were fighting to maintain altitudes the whole time, too?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm confused what a circling approach is. They're set up on the ILS for runway 6, then at the FAF they turn on a DME arc to intercept runway 1 visually?

Meanwhile, these clownshoes managed to not be able to maintain an airspeed for a whole half-hour, and were fighting to maintain altitudes the whole time, too?

A circling approach is used when an airport has an instrument approach, but for whatever reason (weather, airport condition, terrain, etc.) it is not possible or safe to land straight in from the direction you're coming. The idea is you see the airport, fly a low-level circuit to the appropriate runway, and land. Circling approaches are pretty common at smaller or remote airports where there might only be one runway, and they typically have much higher minimums than a standard non-precision or precision approach, which vary based on the speed category of your aircraft (faster aircraft need more room to maneuver, and as such need more protected airspace to complete the maneuver).

Where you break off to circle can be at the final approach fix, or you can go all the way down to the circling minima - it all depends on when you can see the airport.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2018

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Basically they bring you in on the ILS to get below the clouds so you can fly a visual pattern (they also use it to keep you out of EWR's traffic flow). You fly an approach into the pattern. Some have fixes they want you to start your pattern at (or w/o fixes you'd start at the circling distance for your airplane). Other than the mandatory crossing restrictions, you don't HAVE to fly at circling minimums (though you certainly can). In fact, at my previous company at night we HAD to fly above published circling mins.

Yes, the FO struggled the whole flight to maintain altitude and airspeed. This was also not his first Lear 35A job, he had 400 hour in the airplane but it sounded like he was on IOE (a pilot on initial operating training).

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 9, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Beccara posted:

Thanks guys :) Thats reassuring that things don't happen as fast as an Air Crash Investigation show

They don't, certainly not in trainer aircraft, and frankly having a healthy concern about what could happen in emergency situations is not the very worst thing in the world. It shouldn't dominate your thoughts, but it should always be in the back of your mind so that, if one were to happen, you've already recently thought about what you might do.

The reason we brief emergency procedures immediately before takeoff, such as what to do in the event of an engine failure on the runway, what to do if there's an engine failure immediately after takeoff, isn't to demonstrate our knowledge during training or for the instructor to make sure that you know what to do as a student -- it's because, if those things were to happen, you'll react much more confidently and safely having just talked about them, than if you have to go back into your long-term memory. Do it before your 1000th take-off just the same as you did before your 10th.

AWSEFT posted:

Yes, the FO struggled the whole flight to maintain altitude and airspeed. This was also not his first Lear 35A job, he had 400 hour in the airplane but it sounded like he was on IOE (a pilot on initial operating training).

Basic airmanship is basic airmanship, and when you get overconfident, you can get a bit lax with it. My Multi-IFR instructor once yelled at me for, basically, failure to maintain altitude and airspeed -- "this is PPL level poo poo -- attitude, power, trim! Don't act surprised you're having trouble maintaining your airspeed and altitude, your pitch is all over the goddamn place because you haven't trimmed properly!" And he was 100% right, of course. I was getting lazy with basic procedures, and once I started paying better attention to those things, voila, the problems vanished!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beccara posted:

Wow I missed your post and hope my bitching about a certain type of jet did turn you off flying. It’s not even a dangerous jet, just a finicky one relative to other small jets if you don’t keep your head in it. Their mistake was a chain of small easy-to-fix human mistakes from two guys that shouldn’t have been paired together.

That being said, I started flying because I was afraid of heights, airplanes, and most of all, airplane bumps. I not only got used to it, but I freaking love to fly. I stumbled into a thing I love because I did a thing I thought I’d hate. Checklists, radio chat, preflight, me being in charge of my own safety, all of it was daunting. You learn to trust the checklist like you would a seatbelt, and if you use it, it will do its job. I trust a printed laminated piece of paper a lot more than I trust my idiot brain to remember long lists! You’ll do the same eventually!

As far as emergencies go, there is no part of intro level flying that is like an episode of Star Trek where poo poo keeps blowing up and going off line and you have 3 seconds to make a decision before you explode. It’s about keeping a cool head, flying the airplane safely and forming a plan while staying in control. Most emergencies are mitigated by “don’t do this thing and it won’t happen” or “oh well, it happened, fly the plane, take a breath and let’s discuss what to do.”

I know some people that are dumb as poo poo that are incredible pilots because they chill out, brief things and use the checklist. Join us!

E: my grammar is atrocious tonight.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 9, 2018

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Not at all, I guess I just posted for some confirmation that being overwhelmed with procedure was somewhat normal and gets better, I also had hoped you weren't expect to recall said procedures anywhere anytime without those little bits of laminated paper :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beccara posted:

Not at all, I guess I just posted for some confirmation that being overwhelmed with procedure was somewhat normal and gets better, I also had hoped you weren't expect to recall said procedures anywhere anytime without those little bits of laminated paper :)

Oh god no, usually the bigger problem is pilots thinking they can do checklists by memory, and then missing something important.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Basic airmanship is basic airmanship, and when you get overconfident, you can get a bit lax with it. My Multi-IFR instructor once yelled at me for, basically, failure to maintain altitude and airspeed -- "this is PPL level poo poo -- attitude, power, trim! Don't act surprised you're having trouble maintaining your airspeed and altitude, your pitch is all over the goddamn place because you haven't trimmed properly!" And he was 100% right, of course. I was getting lazy with basic procedures, and once I started paying better attention to those things, voila, the problems vanished!

Yeah, but other clues lead me to the decision that he wasn't a good pilot. The captain was flying that plane thru the FO, the FO didn't call for a single checklist and was prompted to do basic things. He even mistook EWR for TEB.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Oh god no, usually the bigger problem is pilots thinking they can do checklists by memory, and then missing something important.

This. The 5 step checklists are the ones that make idiots forget to put the gear down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

AWSEFT posted:

Yeah, but other clues lead me to the decision that he wasn't a good pilot. The captain was flying that plane thru the FO, the FO didn't call for a single checklist and was prompted to do basic things. He even mistook EWR for TEB.

Oh, for sure. There were many issues beyond inability to maintain airspeed and altitude, and I'm guessing a lot of them came from the same place of "I'm hot poo poo flying a Learjet, SOPs and basic airmanship are for lesser mortals!" I mean, at some point he passed a few checkrides, so at some point he knew better on all of these things.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
I’m going to do my first solo today. Wish me luck.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Spam Musubi posted:

I’m going to do my first solo today. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Let us know if you laughed uncontrollably.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Animal posted:

Good luck! Let us know if you laughed uncontrollably.

holy poo poo I wasn't the only person to do this?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

holy poo poo I wasn't the only person to do this?

Nope!

It was right after you realised you were ridiculously high on approach, right? That's what did it for me.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
no, right after I landed. touched down, realized I wasn't going off the runway, everything was good, just laughed for about 500 feet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

no, right after I landed. touched down, realized I wasn't going off the runway, everything was good, just laughed for about 500 feet

Oh, yeah, that was fun too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Flying a plane by yourself for the first time is wild.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
It’s been done. PHNL has a new pilot in town.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Spam Musubi posted:

It’s been done. PHNL has a new pilot in town.

Congrats!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

It was right after you realised you were ridiculously high on approach, right? That's what did it for me.

I interpreted that differently than intended initially :2bong: and am now sitting at my desk giggling at the idea of someone smoking a joint during a long flight and having it hit them hard while they're setting up to land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does anyone know of NTSB reports out there where the pilots were high? I know there are a bunch where the pilot(s) were drunk but those are just sad, not funny.